The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 2 101: Showdown #2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Starcraft 2 101: Showdown #2

Team Escapist is back for Round 2 in a 2v2 Starcraft 2 match. The teams are Justin Clouse and Greg Tito vs. John Funk and Jordan Deam.

Watch Video

I cannot wait to play this game!! The more i see you guys play it, the more it reminds me of my warcraft 3 days

lmao, you guys are having so much fun with it, huh? =D

Cant wait to play it myself!!!

So that makes it 1-1?
Does that mean we're going to see a big bragging rights final?

newbienator:
So that makes it 1-1?
Does that mean we're going to see a big bragging rights final?

If we totaled all of the matches we have played for these videos, Tito and I are a match or two ahead, but it's still pretty close. We usually do 5 match sets and I will cut the video from the most interesting one.

I've been having a lot of trouble w/ mass mutas. Vikings are good, but much less useful after zerg tech-switches to hydras. Thors destroy them, but they are so slow that a good zerg player will just hop around the map. Getting the range and armor upgrades on your turrets are good, but being static, they still will go down to mass mutas pretty quick. Marines are also not great, since they go down so quick and can't stack on top of each other like mutas.

You lost because Greg Tito made 5 warp rays and didn't do any damage with them. You realy need to kill a hatchery or a queen for tehm to be worth the investment. Your teammate had good M&M army. If you had transitioned to ground army after the first group of rays and supported the terran with zealots and sentries for defense shield you could have easily crushed the zerg.

These are always fun to watch.

If you really like watching Starcraft 2 matches guys, search HD STARCRAFT on youtube for a really good commentator who commentates on pro matches. Its amazing what you see.

I just now realized what a badass last name Funk is.

But yeah, Protoss definitely should've gone the Colossus route, and the Terran should've gone all Anti Air, I.E maybe a shitton of Vikings and Marines, because most often people will focus on the Wikings, unaware of the massive rate of fire the Marines have, until the "Swarm" gets reduced to the "Graveyard".

GG

Well, that's one-one for both teams, though I would've liked to see a little bit of a swap on the team arrangements. Still, it's always good to see other players play Starcraft, even if just to remind me how terrible I am at it.

oneplus999:
I've been having a lot of trouble w/ mass mutas. Vikings are good, but much less useful after zerg tech-switches to hydras. Thors destroy them, but they are so slow that a good zerg player will just hop around the map. Getting the range and armor upgrades on your turrets are good, but being static, they still will go down to mass mutas pretty quick. Marines are also not great, since they go down so quick and can't stack on top of each other like mutas.

Battle Cruisers are generally what Terrans want when dealing with mass Mutalisks.

Anyways, awesome match.

Well, that's one-one for both teams, though I would've liked to see a little bit of a swap on the team arrangements. Still, it's always good to see other players play Starcraft, even if just to remind me how terrible I am at it.

Same here, i love the game but I seriously suck.

Still going to get it when it comes out though.

I'm surprised the protoss didn't attack funk's backdoor with Dark Templar. That would of been perfect to snipe his buildings and then hide them away in the corner of his base.

However well played with using Ravens, they can be very useful against zerg and terran. The hunter seeker missiles destroys a grouped up batch of mutas and point defense drones can take care of any small flak absorbing some damage.

I have to agree these are fun to watch and it would be great if you would more of those.

Too bad my computer can't run it :(

I will reiterate what I said before...hurry up with the release date, Blizzard!!!

This is awesome! I only recently got into playing Starcraft (1) actually, but I'm lovin' every minute of it, so I can't wait for SC2. And since I have no beta key, I have to make do with watching you guys play it!

I like this show. Very interesting.

I love these. Also: Go team Deam / Funk!

Awesome stuff guys. These videos are most enjoyable and a nice expansion on the 101 videos with the extra units like the Raven and the Sunken thingymaboob. How many more do you have planned?

That was fun, how long this gonna run for?

Shamus Young:
I love these. Also: Go team Deam / Funk!

You're dead to me now Shamus, dead!

Sweet, I was hoping to see another of these. I hope you do more because I find them very entertaining.

I'm really enjoying your well edited videos and analytical commentary. Keep it coming!!

You guys have rekindled the old RTS spark in me and I picked up a copy of Red Alert 3. Unfortunately many BSOD issues have led me to trade it with a friend for Tiberium Wars.

Can you guys do a video on the basics on micro? A lot of people think Micro is some form of magic or something (well I did until I started playing). Simple micro can be a huge upper hand in close games and also makes you look so cool.

This makes me wanna play Starcraft. Like a Motherfucker.
Go Funk! Zerg and Druids forever!

Another fun video, I always like watching these :D

Hey John, I was wondering why your don't have 3D Portraits enabled? Are they distracting or did you just forget about them?

I'm assuming you might be missing a couple of other neat options, so check it out. For example, in the gameplay tab there's some useful stuff like "display build grid" and "disable windows key". It seems you guys can run the beta on max setting so you may as well check out the sounds options too.

Other than that, as a more experienced RTS player the video was definitely not too exciting for me, but I've always enjoyed helping new players and it's good to see you guys are having fun.

Just a couple of tips:

-I know micro-management is difficult, but try to train yourself to focus fire on units. Use queued orders (shift click) to make things easier so you don't have to constantly target a new unit every few seconds.

-Don't get into the mentality that you can only make one or two kinds of units. For example, in these long games, Greg probably could have easily won by simply massing Carriers and getting a Mothership. This always works against lesser experienced players unless someone pressures/attacks the player going for the expensive stuff. Mass Void Rays tend to be a bad choice as you guys saw they're bad against large numbers of units like Marines or Mutalisks. Diversity of units is key, basically.

-You guys probably get this a lot, but try to spend resources as much as possible haha. Stocking up to thousands and thousands is never a good thing.

-Harassing is actually good in SC2. As you guys learned, yeah, throwing away units into easily lost battles is a bad thing. But as a reminder, staying passive in games like SC2 will not really work.

Keep it up guys.

Slycne:
Starcraft 2 101: Showdown #2

Team Escapist is back for Round 2 in a 2v2 Starcraft 2 match. The teams are Justin Clouse and Greg Tito vs. John Funk and Jordan Deam.

Watch Video

So now I know what to do if I ever get into a match with the Escapist staff in SC2.Make lots and lots of AA units/buildings.Then you're sure to win.

InvisibleMilk:
This makes me wanna play Starcraft. Like a Motherfucker.
Go Funk! Zerg and Druids forever!

I hate Starcraft and this makes me want to play Starcraft.

STOP BEING SO HARD TO PLAY.

Well this second showdown was a lot better then the first one because it was more balanced. Maybe you can do a 1vs1 next and show it from start to finish... it would be nice to see how many probes you get out before you build youre first pylon, how you spam the "e" button to get more probes out even though you got 5 resources etc.

oneplus999:

There's some very good videos on you tube of matches between some quite hardcore players, but there's one video in particular that you just reminded me of was one where a guy was demonstrating the usefullness of hunter killer missles. He manages to kill 30+ mutas in literally seconds with 2/3 hunter missles, it was pretty sick to watch! It basically won him the match ultimately. Apart from that and battlecruisers there doesn't seem to be any decent counter to them except having equal numbers of fliers youself, but even then the mutas are doing splash damage so you're still at a disadvantage.

On topic: great videos guys, looking forward to seeing some more :-)

What is the "new" zerg's take on the chokepoint barricading tactic?

Not that I want to complain, but can you guys release full videos. Since I couldn't see what you were building or what you were doing 90% of the time this felt more like a tech demo than a game match (it's fun to be able to tell what someone will do).

Traun:
Not that I want to complain, but can you guys release full videos. Since I couldn't see what you were building or what you were doing 90% of the time this felt more like a tech demo than a game match (it's fun to be able to tell what someone will do).

If you are really looking for some full on replay then I would recommend the youtube members HDstarcraft and Hustystarcraft. They comment on high level players games and concentrate on the game and by watching enough you will hear from the commentators and see from the players some build orders to get used to the game.

I would also recommend checking out sc2armory.com if you really want to learn about the units and their strength and weakness.

Traun:

We don't like releasing videos more than 10 minutes long. This match was almost 40.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here