Escape to the Movies: The Losers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

You know, Yahtzee said that Batman was always the least interesting character in everything he was in, but that's not true. Robin is.

haha, I haven't seen all of your reviews, but that was one hell of a movie thrashing :)

robins gonna be featured in the new arkham asylum.

That's rather dissapointing, I had high hopes for this movie. Oh well better luck next time hollywood.

I normally agree with moviebob on his views but I have to disagree here. I feel like he went in with high expectations after watching the solidified awesomeness known as kick-ass a week earlier and this movie wasn't even nearly as good. I watched his review an hour before I went and saw it and came in with low expectations(Which is what I ususally have for Comic book movies) and I was entertained. It's worth watching.

The Losers wasn't bad at all. I'd recommend anyone to go see it.

There were laughs, there was action, there is a decent plot, the actors are fine.

What more do you need?

Elesar:
So...it's time to insert an irritating character, who was our of place even in the comics, who will be played by an inevitably awful young Shia LeBouf wannabe, or perhaps the man himself to utterly ruin and destroy the 3rd Batman movie?
You want proof they're trying to put him in everything? They want him to play Yorick in the Y: The Last Man movie. Let me repeat that:
THEY WANT SHIA LEBOUF TO PLAY YORICK BROWN IN A Y: THE LAST MAN MOVIE!

So can we not fuck up a good thing?

I think the Robin thing is a good Idea. Its time. However make sure he is actually young. Chris O'Donnel while a good actor, doesnt pass for a teenager. Defintly need between 12-15. Why? To fit the charecter.

Shia Lebouf not a good fit. But wait what is all this hate on Shia? I like Shia Lebouf, and I LIKED Bay's Transformers. (as a old school fan) I would like to see him in more movies.

Y: The Last Man? Why not? Heck put on eye patch maybe some scruffy hair on his face and bingo.

Oh one more thing. What the hell MovieBob, Showdown in Little Tokyo is probably one of the most perfect action movies ever. Hardcore action, gratuitous sex, nudity, blood, Martial arts. And How can you beat Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, and Dolf Lundren in his prime.

Primus1985:

I think the Robin thing is a good Idea. Its time. However make sure he is actually young. Chris O'Donnel while a good actor, doesnt pass for a teenager. Defintly need between 12-15. Why? To fit the charecter.

Shia Lebouf not a good fit. But wait what is all this hate on Shia? I like Shia Lebouf, and I LIKED Bay's Transformers. (as a old school fan) I would like to see him in more movies.

Y: The Last Man? Why not? Heck put on eye patch maybe some scruffy hair on his face and bingo.

Robin does not make sense. Never has, never will. What we have is a dark, antisocial, introverted semi-sociopath...taking in a talkative teenager as his apprentice. It can work as comic logic because it's more fluid, but it doesn't make sense on screen. And let's not forget that the Robin-including follow up to one of the major inspirations for this series, IE The Long Halloween is largely forgotten (When was the last time you saw anyone citing Dark Victory as an inspiration?)

As for Shia, it's not a question of whether you like him or not, he can't act. I have seen him in a total of 4 movies now (Transformers 1 and 2, Indiana Jones 4 and Eagle Eye) and in EVERY one, he was a variation of the same character (skipping over for the moment that the character his "acts" as is INFURIATING). Hence, putting him in an adaptation of a dark intellectual and deep comic wouldn't work well.

And an eyepatch? Have you read Y: The Last Man at all. Because I've read every single goddamn issue and Yorick never once had an eyepatch. Rose had an eyepatch.

Meh, I was actually looking forward to this. Deep down I knew it's going to turn out to be a piece of crap.

On the topic of buying tickets to sneak into better movie at the end there, I'm gonna come clean. A few of my friends and I bought tickets to Paul Blart so we could sneak into Watchmen. It was totally worth it.

Wouldn't BATGIRL be more akin to Hit Girl? You know, young, female and able to beat people up? I mean, leaving aside from the fact that Millar based Hit Girl ON the Cassandra Cain Batgirl in the first place...

And on the upside, Cassandra Cain would work pretty damn well in Nolan'verse, what with being a silent assassin and all. (Of course, this would assume Nolan could utilize any female characters without killing them or making them into a vehicle for protagonist angst... Never mind.)

if there going to bring a sidekick into the new batman movies, they should bring in batgirl not robin
(besides isn't robin, like gay or something just look at his costume)

Elesar:
snip

What do you expect from a Michael Bay fan? Intellegence?

Wait! "The Girls With the Dragon Tatoo" as in the Swedish movie O.o

I had heard it was doing pretty well across the ocean, but I thought that was just Swedish media exaggerating ^^

Not Robin! MB, think of the children.

oh my god you guys, i've always watched moviebob BEFORE or after i went to see movies he's reviewed. AND always agreed with him.

However, on THIS movie, you just went the complete, absolutely horrible other way.

This movie is SILLY. Yes, but i think thats the point. For a pg13 movie that wouldn't let you see (much) blood, or people dying, this movie was fucking KICKASS.... and that's the only reference i'd make to that other movie. which, i fucking loved... but

THE LOSERS

it's FUCKING AWESOME. Funny, kinda dark, action-y as all movies should be. I DRAGGED friends and other family members to go see it, and NO ONE,

not even the ones who despise action movies, said it was ANYTHING but short of AWESOME.

that is all. xD

Yancyboy:
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! This was such an amazing series of books. a real thrill ride everytime i dive into 'em. So why why why does hollywood shit all over these writer's and artists hard work. these people slave for months and years to set up character plots, twists and even morals that readers take away with them as life lessons. either that or people take away a sense of real joy knowing that they have really spent there money well buying something that entertains them for years to come. And then what? hollywood happens. they come in buy a few rights and then either make a passable 2 hours of entertainment, or they rip the soul from they pages and throw it in the trash and deem it non essential. Shame on you tinseltown. sure the old adage is that you never go out to make a bad movie but this time not only did you go out and make a terrible piece of donkey shite you just crushed a poor boys hopes that maybe one day someone will figure out that comic books have done all the work for you pathetic people. all you need to do is cast properly and boom your done. not everything needs to have a big names to sell it. sometimes all it needs is a bit of faith in the material.

go watch the goddamn movie, and start using paragraphs instead of just one big block of text.

the movie IS good. just this ONCE, ignore what movie bob is saying.

I respectfully disagree on the point of Avatar being better than Star Trek. Neither movie is particularly "intelligent", but I feel Avatar failed fundamentally as a movie; it's pretty, and that's literally it. I don't take issue with the plot; cliches can work, but for that, it would need a good script and characters that weren't enormous bores. Star Trek, meanwhile, has great dialog, interesting dynamics between its cast, a mostly clever story (at least in how it ties itself with past Trek continuity), and is just overall a far more entertaining movie. At least in my eyes.

Hey Bob- I was just talking about how generic big budget productions HAVE to be, have you been reading my mind or my posts:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.189377-Poll-Hype-ruining-everythink#5866477

antigodoflife:
There's rumours going around that Shia La Bouf will be playing Robin, sorry Bob.

Then i must find and eradicate him i will not let my favorit hero be besmirced any more by this rumored-to-be-horrible movie (it proably is i mean if hes only robin hood for 5 mins why don't they call it some guy with a bow instead?)

ZZoMBiE13:
Robin? Really? Have you forgotten what happenened the last time Robin was introduced to the Batman mythos in Hollywood????

HAVE YOU??!!??!!

Times have changed, now's the perfect time to have Robin appear in a decent, non-cheesy superhero movie.

I don't support your "bring back robin" statement. I'm still not over the awfulness of the last one. "Batman & Robin" is not only the worst batman movie ever made, but it's honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen. Camp is fun and all, but there's only so much that i can handle.

*watches intro*

Y'know, I think my problem with Batman & Robin (aside from the outfit disparity that wanes superhero groups from my favor) is the side-by-side thing. Batman is solitary, and having Robin next to him puts the vibe off-balance. If they're back to back, Robin fitting in his silhouette, or Robin is out in front of Batman, equaling his size to the camera (perhaps an over-the-shoulder shot), then it can work, and it could especially work if they're on different sides of a bust, two elements working against the same centralized foe(s).

But 2D planar, side-by-side, perhaps even hands-on-hips thing? Nuh-uh. Not in costume. I could do with them conversing with each other the way stage actors do, slightly angled at each other but still facing the audience, but I don't want Robin throwing the visual balance off, especially to such a symmetrical character and motif. Now, in their casual guises? Certainly (as in, it'd be fine, not that it's a sure thing). They're just two people. But Batman is a symbol (as ASS-KICKING), so he can't have a side-car making him look goofy (or at least odd). It's just not as intimidating, having another 'thing' just 'out there' hanging off of your all-senses-encompassing dark justice.

Anyway, back to watching the vid.

EDIT: I liked that "hand" gun scene from the trailer. Bummed now both by it not being psycho-powers and by seeing it revealed in a review rather than seeing it in-media (res?), but chances are I wouldn't've ever seen this movie anyway (heck, still haven't seen TDK).

Primus1985:

Elesar:
So...it's time to insert an irritating character, who was our of place even in the comics, who will be played by an inevitably awful young Shia LeBouf wannabe, or perhaps the man himself to utterly ruin and destroy the 3rd Batman movie?
You want proof they're trying to put him in everything? They want him to play Yorick in the Y: The Last Man movie. Let me repeat that:
THEY WANT SHIA LEBOUF TO PLAY YORICK BROWN IN A Y: THE LAST MAN MOVIE!

So can we not fuck up a good thing?

I am glad someone else here doesn't understand the utter hate of michael bay's transformers. I was a big fan of the series and i don't understand where he's gone wrong? He made entertaining action films that were funny. What else do you want from transformers? It's not the godfather!

On the losers, very enjoyable film. How someone can say clash of the titans is anything but awful and slam the losers and transformers i cannot understand.

I can't believe you, Bob.
You resorted to dangling money in front of a film company!!! That's cat nip to them! You're insane!

Also, it's kind of insulting to Christopher Nolan, don't you think?

I still disagree with you in the introduction of Robin, but at the same time, that was a little bit cheap.

If they are going to bring back Robin, they need to watch Batman: TAS to at least know how to do a decent job with him.

Ugh, all you people whining about Robin...

Look, about half of the the plot in TDK is based on the Batman story "The Long Halloween". Now, when it came time to do the sequel, the writer, Jeph Loeb, suggested to the artist, Tim Sale, that the plot should largely deal with the origin or Robin as a major thread. Sale really did not like this idea and nearly didn't work on the project because, like you guys apparently, he thought Robin clashed with Batman's visual style and didn't make sense, but Loeb managed to convince him eventually. You know how that comic turned out? It was great! It maintains the somber mood and darkness of the Batman mythos and brings in an excellent interpretation of the Robin character.

Great review. I don't think I'd like to see Robin in the new Batman films, unless perhaps if he was a psychotic vigilante, that might be fun. Hell if Bane is in the movie maybe that's enough, Bane was on Batman's side for a while wasn't he? Maybe he can hold up a mirror to the bat, or- more likely- become jealous of him...

If Robin was introduced as a replacement, but was seduced by the power being a vigilante gave him, that'd hammer home Batman's sense of responsibility, could be interesting...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here