It's Not a Game, But I'll Play It, Anyway

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's the most hands-off version of Dungeons and Dragons you're ever likely to (not actually) play.

Read Full Article

That's still more of a game then Progress Quest.

Then again, its sort of the point with Progress Quest, isn't it?

I dont know wht people play this stuff, sounds like every facebook game I've ever tried

Sounds like an interesting time passer now and again. I might actually look into it.

They all seem to be the same, just to diffetent degrees. Although, I will agree its better than Farmville, if, for just at least it isnt farmville

Sure sounds... interesting... Not for me, though.

Damn you to hell for linking to Cute Overload. It's like TV Tropes, only REEAAAALLLLLLLLLLY CUTE!

Can I have it on Facebook? Like Farmville?

It kinda reminds me of an MMO I used to play which had basically no gameplay at all.

Never understood the appeal of a game you don't play, myself.
That said, I think making a game a gargantuan clusterfuss ruins the fun too.

It's all about the desgin, in the end.

I agree with you its better then farmville because it doesnt bombard you with notifications from your neighbors. I might give it a shot.

EDIT: actually it does bombard it if you accept. And I just tried it and don't think waiting 8 minutes for updates is my thing, probably because I tried RPG's and MMO's before and even adventure books.

Susan Arendt:
...or my Sackboy plushies...

Photos demanded!

Susan Arendt:
or whether or not your barbarian can use a Wand of Ephemeral Light.

Of course he/she can. Those are those little stick things you stab into wizards' ears, right?

I get a big, fuzzy, rose-tinted cheating-at-Lone-Wolf vibe off of this. Almost fuzzy enough to make me spend time on Facebook. Almost.

it's a fact that facebook has wasted billions of other company's dollars and this article is why.

GET OFF FACEBOOK AT WORK! Damn people.

The only Facebook game I play, and enjoy playing is Warstorm sort of a rip-off of The Warlords....or The Warlords is a rip-off of Warstorm I have no idea I played both and The Warlords got be stuck mid-way through facing some tough stuff I wasn't expecting. Its a fantasy card-game similar to that lovely card smack-habit called "Magic, The Gathering" except without all that futzing with Land cards. I don't know why, but I keep going back to that over Team Fortress 2 which is starting to startle me....

...anyways point is some Facebook time-wasters can actually be OK....it just depends on what you like personally.....

Onyx Oblivion:

My precise thoughts, although I couldn't remember Progress Quest's name. So, ^^

my friends and I played some of this app about a year ago (maybe a little less), but in the end, we just found that the ability to not worry about it led us to not play it. Like you said, if you leave for a few days and come back, it'll all still be there..

Well it becomes easier and easier to not return.

It's a passing fancy for sure.

It's actually more of a 'Tweet' version of a fantasy story.

Instead of reading a book or a several page long story thread. This tells you the story of a fantasy hero in short spurts.

Some rolls now and then would be nice

The Random One:

-snip-

I hate to pop in and not add anything to the discussion, but what is your avitar from? It looks familiar, and it drives me a little crazier every time I see it. So, I thought I'd finally ask.

Susan Arendt:

It's the most hands-off version of Dungeons and Dragons you're ever likely to (not actually) play.

Read Full Article

NO! SUSAN! YOU GOT TO GET OFF THE GAME NOW OUR YOU WILL NEVER GET OFF IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

I'm currently playing Treasure Island, anpther Zynga 'game'. It's not a game, but I play it anyway... it's better than FarmVille.

Well it will let me play a Human Druid so I shall try it, this is actually a good thing to find out about because I need to brush up on D&D before my friend finishes his campaign.

I think I'll acctully go play it again

Coming soon: Oregon Trail - Tiny Adventures

Update: You purchased 12 grandfather clocks and 1 hat
Update: You died of dysentery

Scrythe:
-snip-

You should have attempted to ford the river.

Interesting article. It's always intriguing to hear about games that cater to an odd audience like desk-jockeys that have little time to do anything. It advances the idea that there is an audience for every game. That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Surprisingly I think I played this "game" for 4 months before finally giving up. But it was a nice tour of the 4th ed. concepts. It might also have been the first to introduce me to Facebook games in the first place--hey wait, that's a bad thing.

Looks and plays pretty much like every other Facebook RPG.

"But it's got D&D on it, that makes it more interesting!"

Onyx Oblivion:

Ah yes, Progress Quest! I played that for a long time, daily for about two years I think, I even made it into the worldwide top 100! But then one day my savegame got corrupted... So I quit playing, I'm not gonna start a new game after so long... it's a shame, I wonder how far I could have gotten if I hadn't lost my save. Dammit.

Twilight_guy:

Scrythe:
-snip-

You should have attempted to ford the river.

You foolish fool! Stop fooling around with fording the river, it only leads to disaster.

This game seems interesting because it's not so much of a game as a don't-choose-your-own-adventure game. Being able to create your own character certainly helps it feel unique.

SaintWaldo:

Susan Arendt:

Photos demanded!

I think you know what it looks like quite well, Waldo. :)

I don't know my wife is really into facebook games, then again she plays allot of games that are like second jobs (i.e. Dinner dash). I never really found their appeal, and they're D&D game disappointed me.

On a side note. Are they really intending for Temple of Elemental evil to be the closest thing to really playing D&D as a video game? I mean it was good and all system wise, and I really didn't mind the bad graphics. But lvl cap at 10, no access to prestige classes, item creation being half cooked at best, and still with the outdated class restrictions according to alignments. It should have a squeal, or at least another installment.

I keep waiting for a few Rogue-like and FFT-style games to start being released.

I actually quite liked it, it's a touch insidious in the way it gives you bonuses for inviting friends into it, but it's a neat way to spend 20 seconds or so every now and then. Makes me want to design a version that lets you make your decisions in advance as opposed to them all being automated. Maybe something like that already exists, so I'll just have to make sure my version is better!

Susan Arendt:

SaintWaldo:

Susan Arendt:

Photos demanded!

Shameless self-promotion is SHAMELESS!

Glad to know he's got a good home. ;)

SaintWaldo:

Susan Arendt:

SaintWaldo:

Susan Arendt:

Photos demanded!

Shameless self-promotion is SHAMELESS!

Glad to know he's got a good home. ;)

Check my Twitter in a minute. ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook