The Pocket Gamer Report: Big Fish, Little Pond

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Pocket Gamer Report: Big Fish, Little Pond

Is Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker too big a fish for such a little pond?

Read Full Article

If the game truly is as stunning and overwhelmingly stunning as the hype says it is, then we'll get it. One way or another...

Then again Kojima's success and the entire stealth genre has come from working to specific limitations. I imagine it's much cheaper and quicker to design for the PSP too and he is working on the next MG for consoles so I don't suppose he's done himself a lot of harm.

I don't see the hate for the PSP. I like it and have used it about the same as my DS, and there are still games for the... wait... hold on a second...

Okay so there isn't any games out NOW I want to buy for it but The DS has the same... Ummm... Be Right back...

Okay so there are still DS games I wish to buy, but there aren't that many and... Hold on...

Calumon: Yeah... Okay. We can see the hate now, but it is a bit strong isn't it? PSP2 is what we need.

I think the concept is good, but, for a PSP I think it is prolly not the best of ideas...I mean, its good to see its getting attention but for how large it is...or at least said to be...

I think it may be overshooting itself somewhat

This will be the first game I will have bought for my PSP since Vice City Stories. That was in 2006.

I'm just glad my friend said he'd give me a lend of his Psp in the summer. I do think it's pretty silly putting it on psp when no one has the bloody thing.

I have a PSP (the Darth Vader PSP, to be precise). But my DS is kicking its ass in terms of how much playing time I've given each, and even in how many games I have for each system. Sadly, the best PSP games are releases of PlayStation 1 games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. At the very least, it has some awesome portable GTA games.

I might get this game... maybe. I never really got in MGS. I'll definitely have to get the new Kingdom Hearts game though when it comes out this summer. That alone will make my PSP worth its pricetag.

Its because Kojima likes to experiment with gaming and i think the only reason he's still making MGS games is to experiment with game mechanics.

I have a PSP, but tend to agree that a lot of the games would have worked better as full fledged console productions.

I'm hoping eventually Sony will add some kind of emulation for the PSP to the PS-3 to let you play some of these games on a big screen.

Eh I just dont like portable consoles PSP or otherwise. I did love playing star wars battlefront 2 while on the bus thouhg. My best friend is the only one I know who still plays his PSP and the only reason he does is because of monster hunter.

I see your point about Peace walker possibly being better on a home console system but the same could be said for most games on portable consoles

I love my PSP. Great games like Half Minute Hero, FF VII: Crisis Core, FF Tactics, God of War, GTA Chinatown Wars, and the upcoming MGS and KH titles are all reasons to own a PSP.

Plus, the fact that I can play epic ps1 classics on the go with it is the very best reason to own it.

Now Sony just needs to pump out more ps1 classics for me like Suikoden II and Breath of Fire III.

PSP is sort of dead. Still, we have Peace Walker, Birth by Sleep, and Agito XIII coming out... eventually.

Yeah, it's dead.

What a shame... I got the PS3 to play MGS4 when it came out. But I refuse to buy a PSP to play the new one. If it is any good they will port it or something. Otherwise, it will be like one of the Zelda's on the GBA or something. An oddity that was never played.

Actually, forcing kojima to split up the gameplay into managable chunks might do him a great favor. Also, not having to focus on snazzy graphics and instead being able to pack in variety and new interesting gameplay. This will be a day one purchase for me.

Played the demo. Prefer this over MGS4 any day of the week. You get to dispose bad guys using balloons! Wow. But, no pause button?!

hmm... I'd say that if you bought the PS3 you will be able to afford the PSP. Go out and borrow or buy a used one. YOu're already able to pay out of a bottomless wallet...

GamerPhate:
What a shame... I got the PS3 to play MGS4 when it came out. But I refuse to buy a PSP to play the new one. If it is any good they will port it or something. Otherwise, it will be like one of the Zelda's on the GBA or something. An oddity that was never played.

Oracle of Ages/Seasons were VERY good games. It's a shame really if you haven't tried them. They are on my shortlist of best Zelda's.

I play my PSP the whole time and enjoy it without finding it as bad as people say. I mean a good game is a good game and all the best ones on the psp are dirt cheap, that and I dig the ps1 classics.
As for Peace Walker, I assumed that he released it on the PSP to tie in with the new PS3 game coming out soon. It strikes me as an evolution of Portable Ops which was decent enough (and tied to mgs4), but I don't get why everyone is down on the PSP version of this, It strikes me as some kind of snobbery where a franchise has to be on a certain console to be deemed part of the series. It's fanboyism in my opinion, I have no doubt that it will move some Psps but anyone who feels they need to buy a console just for one game has to seriously look in the mirror.

PSP 2 spring 2011 please.

I just don't see PSPs around. I see DS's but no PSPs. I haven't bought a MGS title since the original on the PSX, I've found all the following MGS games to be sub-par and bordering on pretentious wankery. The first one was good as it broke new ground.

Having said that it must be far cheaper to develope a PSP game than a PS3/360 title so I'm sure he'll make his money back and for MGS mentalists (It does seem to create a cult like following that I just don't get) they will get a PSP to play it. It might just stretch the life of the PSP if enough people follow.

I have a DS but rarely play it now, I drive (buses and trains were invented for portable gaming) and don't have the sort of job where I can piss about on my DS all day. That pretty much leaves the toilet and I like to read.

Will people buy a PSP just for the next MGS? Considering the amount of people who bought an Xbox just for Halo, or a Wii just for the pack-in game, I'm sure some hardcore fans will.

I don't see why there's so much PSP hate, compared to the DS. They cater to different audiences; how many fighting games are available on the DS? Military-style shooters? Sports games? I realize that there's at least one of each on the DS, but not nearly as many options. I own both handhelds, and use them roughly equally, depending on my gaming mood.

I think this is Kojima having a bit of fun and testing the fans:
"How much do you love MGS guys? Enough to buy a PSP for my game?"

Afer roaring sales:
"Huzzah, my fans are equivalent to Halo fanboys! Now I know my games won't even have to be stellar anymore!"

Not that Kojima would stop making awesome games.

FloodOne:
Now Sony just needs to pump out more ps1 classics for me like Suikoden II and Breath of Fire III.

Breath of Fire 3 is already on the PSP, did you miss it or are you specifically talking about a straight port like the other ps1 classics range?

I have a feeling hes aware that the psp isnt the most popular platform and thats the real reason behind the product placement, to cut the cost.

I'm glad they mentioned the millions of MH:FU sold. hat game is like a drug in Japan, but fr good reason. I'd hardly call the PSP 'dead' doesn't it have like 20 million sold? It does need more 3d party support though, and that's always been the problem.

Plurralbles:
hmm... I'd say that if you bought the PS3 you will be able to afford the PSP. Go out and borrow or buy a used one. YOu're already able to pay out of a bottomless wallet...

GamerPhate:

Oracle of Ages/Seasons were VERY good games. It's a shame really if you haven't tried them. They are on my shortlist of best Zelda's.

Yeah it is a shame. I might get around to it one of these ages. I have a DS I guess I could dust off and find a copy somewhere I am sure. But I have to be REALLY bored to play with my DS heh. Although it makes a GREAT airplane toy for MP3s and Movies and such :) R4 ftw.

My PSP has a thick layer of dust on it. I welcome anything that'll make me want to play it, that said, I don't know if I'm that interested in this game

I just bought a PSP, I absolutely love it. That said, I really do think it makes sense that 'big' games are more suited to 'big' technology. I mainly use my PSP for JRPGs (words cannot express the joy I feel in being able to play FFVIII wherever the hell I want), puzzle games and casual games (I find tower defence games rather addictive).

But MGS? Yeah, that's gotta be better on a big TV screen with cutting edge technology.

Actually, I personally am considering buying a DS and that is arguably an even more outdated handheld compared to the PSP. So I don't think Peace Walker would necessarilly be better off on a regular console. On the contrary, it is easier to push the technological boundaries of a handheld then of a console. Plus, it shows to people that there are gems worth playing on handhelds, even though they are generally underrated as a platform.

I'm a massive MGS fan, but I jumped the Sony Ship after MGS3, and boarded the Microsoft Cruiser. I was gutted that MGS4 wasn't coming to 360, so I borrowed a friends PS3 just so I could finish the story. Now I don't need to go anywhere near a PS3 ever again haha. But as for PeaceWalker, I've been tempted to get a second hand PSP for quite sometime, merely for homebrew and Monster Hunter, but now I'm more tempted for moar MGS lulz.

Rather than being a shot in the foot for Kojima, it seems to be a lifeline to the PSP. I know three people who plan to buy a PSP, thanks to the large nudge that Peace Walker is giving them, along with Portable Ops and whatever else takes their fancy.

As a side-note, I'm just about the only person in my entire dorm who actually owns a PSP. Back in high school some people had it, but these days I think I'm the last one in the entire world.

All the more reason that all portable games are ported to live/PSN/WW if you do that you'll tripple your demographic numbers!

I don't know, for a console that no one has there seems to be someone out there with nearly 60 million of them and the ps3 and xbox360 equate to 80 million units together, so taking into account the relative inexpensive development on the psp, I think he Knows what he's doing.

and the other handheld alternative isn't worth thinking about, it would be like trying to put mgs on an n64. The ds is a nice little console I've had one since release, even bought the lite but I got fed up with the massive amount of repetitive crap that came out for it, Nintendo were one of the first companies to implement game licensing to stop this kind of thing happening and now they are releasing any old rubbish... project runway!? I prefer consoles that don't treat the public like a massive drooling moron thanks very much.

and the only reason the psp is considered dead is because of sony, it was year behind nintendo - who everyone is foretting holds the handheld crown and has done for decades - and the repetitive acts of shunning the homebrew scene only to eventually succumb and implement the ideas already done by the homebrew programmers years before and whack a massive price tag for the privilage (pspgo) didn't help.

and how much of the public actually know the capabilities of the psp? I just started work with this guy who 2 weeks in says "wouldn't it be great if the ds could play final fantasy 7?" I looked at him as if he was crazy - bearing in mind he has a computing honours and is very up on technology, As at this point I had been playing it and many other ps1 games for more than a year on my psp, safe to say I sold him my old psp - I got a 2000 - and is now plastered to it.

one of the reasons the psp is suffering is because most people did what I did... bought the established console, I've bought two ds's, those still count as sales, but I can't bring myself to pay more than 5 for a game that wil hold my attention for little more than the time it takes to do my morning business. there should be a stat for the percentage of sales to consoles still in use, that would be fun to see...

The psp never had a chance and it still managed to steal 60 million sales from the long established gatekeeper to the handheld market, dead? yeah thats the reason there's going to be a psp2...

Well, I'm a huge MGS fan, but I'm certainly not going to dish out however much for a PSP just so I can play the one game - that's a profound waste of money in my opinion, as I'll probably never touch the handheld toy after I'm done with the game. I guess I can only hope it'll be ported to PS3 in the future.......... *wishful thinking at its best*

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here