Preview: Rift: Planes of Telara Makes MMOGs Dynamic (and Gorgeous)

Preview: Rift: Planes of Telara Makes MMOGs Dynamic (and Gorgeous)

Rift: Planes of Telara takes a gorgeous-looking twist to the standard fantasy MMOG.

Read Full Article

Looks like WOW

But damn if I don't hate MMORPGs regardless

Hopefully this will contend. I don't want to play it, I just want to EVENTUALLY see WOW crash and burn

Oh how sweet a day that will be

It looks quite nice and the whole four seasons in one dungeon would be very interesting to see. I might try this out when its released

Off topic: I reckon an MMO would make a great plotline for a doctor who episode

On topic: Another MMO for the pile by the looks of it. I just don't see the appeal in them, especially since they need a lot of time, and a lot of cash in the long-run!

GrinningManiac:
Looks like WOW

But damn if I don't hate MMORPGs regardless

Hopefully this will contend. I don't want to play it, I just want to EVENTUALLY see WOW crash and burn

Oh how sweet a day that will be

Meh, not going to happen. Not that I don't want to see it as well, but Blizzard is currently developing a next-gen action MMORPG. Once it releases, they'll have 1/4th the world playing Starcraft 2, 1/4th the world playing Diablo 3, 1/4th the world playing WoW, and 1/4th the world playing their new MMO. And of course they'll control all of humanity.

DividedUnity:
It looks quite nice and the whole four seasons in one dungeon would be very interesting to see. I might try this out when its released

The Four seasons things is certainly very, very epic. I love it

(and how much do you want to bet that the other four are Fire/Water/Air/Earth, hmm?)

A safe bet considering one of the videos on their site actually says this :P

I loving the vid doc on their site, game looks amazing.

This game is actually looking a lot better than WoW. Hopefully the inevitable monthly subscriptions will be cheaper than WoW's, if so I might actually play this game.

Damn, I was kind of hoping it would be based on the old Palladium RPG Rifts. I enjoyed that game stting even if the rules were terrible. It was a nice blend of fantasy and high tech what with the Mechs and mages running around.

Ah well, looks like another MMO I won't be playing.

WHO WHO WHOA that looks pretty awesome :O
But im rly interested in the fresh ideas that they are gona introduce in the game :O
Could it be....could the WoW killer be on his way o.O
Hope not...im still half way tru my achievements :S

Hmm... Seems interesting.

Of course, there's a big difference between interesting ideas and successful ones, but still, I wish them well.

It's nice to finally see a developer admit that all MMOs are essentially pitched with "like WOW, but..."

When someone finally makes a game that is completely different to WOW I might be drawn back to MMOs. But for now, life > grinding.

Azmael Silverlance:
WHO WHO WHOA that looks pretty awesome :O
But im rly interested in the fresh ideas that they are gona introduce in the game :O
Could it be....could the WoW killer be on his way o.O
Hope not...im still half way tru my achievements :S

Why do people always say this, no one can kill WoW except for Blizzard. Which from my recent free 7 days back and the fact that they are starting to sell in game items, I don't think it will be much longer.

Shamanic Rhythm:
It's nice to finally see a developer admit that all MMOs are essentially pitched with "like WOW, but..."

When someone finally makes a game that is completely different to WOW I might be drawn back to MMOs. But for now, life > grinding.

WoW is the mmo glass ceiling until the telecommunications light barrier is broken.

Sadly.

Just wish to raise the point that the server "innovation" they are applying sounds very similar to how CCP have run the servers for EVE Online for the last four or five years.

Not devaluing the MMO by any stretch, I am quite interested.

Like I said in Funk's View from the Road, the standards should be in place so that a developer focuses on building off that base instead of changing the core elements that define the genre. A lot of it is so basic that it's really unnecessary to change it.

Theo Samaritan:
Just wish to raise the point that the server "innovation" they are applying sounds very similar to how CCP have run the servers for EVE Online for the last four or five years.

Not devaluing the MMO by any stretch, I am quite interested.

And if you ask me, is the more intelligent way to develop your server logic, as, pretty much by design it's more difficult for a single server to get overloaded while the others remain unused. Of course, it also means you absolutely must have fulll-time watch on your servers, because when one system goes down, that affects everybody, but doing things the other way means that you need that anyway, because if any area fails it will be (again, by definition) the area that is the busiest with the most active players on it.

This is also interesting because it allows you to monitor bottlenecks in your code simply through server activity and address them as a temporary measure simply by throwing more hardware at the problem while your coders look for ways to streamline it. Very smart.

Wait...
So this Doesn't have anything to do with "Rifts" the old pen and paper RPG from Palladium?
Because that would make a pretty kick ass game.
Even mmo.

Good for you, you have learned phasing/dymanic environments! You are only 2 years late to the party!

Who's willing to bet that this will be hyped up as the game that will kill WoW 3 months before release and will be completely forgotten 3 month after release?

Well it does look interesting, even if not really innovative for a MMO (or any 'vidio' game on that matter), how much it will be overhyped depends on how much effort will be put into marketing division tho.

Will it be WoW killer? Frankly i dont give a damn about WoW and/or killing it in any way. It has its fan base, just like Starcraft has. Personally dont see anything amazing about either of those.

Sadly tho, its yet another fantasy mmo. Getting quite bored with those, there is already too many of them and each year several new sprout around. Where are decent sci-fi ones? Where are modern world-look alikes? Sure we got TOR and TSW on the horizon but thats really not much, and Star Wars type of sci-fi is not the droid im looking for.
Come to think Neocron was probably last cybeprunkish mmo created and noone decided to pick the genre up since then. Sad :<

I'll probably end up trying it out at one point. I seriously doubt it will make me quit WoW, as community there is very strong and one of the main reasons I keep playing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here