Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

My first thought upon the ending credits is simply that I now know why Yahtzee hates humanity.

He's only hanging with the girls when they are on their period. That would be enough to drive me to full blown cynicism as well!

I think Horror games are no longer horror. Now its more like action. Since this was my first Silent Hill game that I played, I wasn't scared but it was a good game. I think what killed the Horror Genre was Resident Evil 4. Not that it's a bad thing but the horror genre is now action.

genius-
"Fulfilling the Dog Quota this week"
and an excellent review.
never bothered to finish the game.

I'm still waiting for this game to be released on the PSP Go in Europe, aaaaarrrrrggghhhh!

Best Review Ever.

Also good to know I can buy this for my mum :D

Aura Guardian:
I think Horror games are no longer horror. Now its more like action. Since this was my first Silent Hill game that I played, I wasn't scared but it was a good game. I think what killed the Horror Genre was Resident Evil 4. Not that it's a bad thing but the horror genre is now action.

I think Resident Evil 4 was still scary, but in a different kind of way. It was more of a tenseness. The original Resident Evils were "you only have a few bullets and you're trapped in a claustrophobic hallway," while RE4 was more "everyone in the village wants to put an icepick through your brain, and you never know how they'll try to kill you next." I mean, even when I had an arsenal to put a Modern Warfare character to shame, stuff like the Regenerators and the Iron Maidens still made me jump out of my seat.

1st really good video i've seen in a while...

SYSTEM-J:
Does the game lack any blood or horror because Nintendo are still stuck in that anti-nastiness mindset that goes back to the bloodless SNES version of Mortal Kombat?

Dude haven't seen Madworld, No More Heroes and even Manhunt 2? Those games are quite bloody, and BTW this's a Konami game, Nintendo has nothing to do with this one.

Anyway according to the devs they wanted to create a different experience from previews games so they decided to step aside from the rust and blood of previews games.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/971/971319p1.html

Nice review, the game is good it has some neat ideas on it, like the use of the cellphone to solve puzzles, take pictures and detect noises. Pretty clever.

Xanthious:

Icecoldcynic:
What a surprise, more dumping on the wii. Not that I don't agree, but it's just getting old now.

"Oh fuck a pink dress, shit's getting real!" - Brilliant.

Dumping on the Wii will never get old. The Wii deserves to be dumped on at every given opportunity. Until Nintendo wants to release a proper next gen system and not just a gamecube with a bad gimmick they deserve all the scorn and criticism that they get.

Dumping on the Wii get old so fast it's not funny. Actually it was never funny. Nintendo did release a proper next gen system. It's so successful that Sony and Microsoft would said that what Nintendo is doing was silly is now copying them to get the money Nintendo got. Plus, The Wii has a lot of great games. The ahem.."Hardcore" gamers are blind because they see other games that don't hold their attention. And in this generation of games...the games for the "hardcore" audience needs online,guns,blood,gore,guns,QTE, and guns. RPGS need to be in the Bioware status or needs to be well known(Final Fantasy). The Wii has Rpgs,shooters,platformers, and action titles. Games like Muramasa,Little King Story for example don't get noticed because the gamers who would love those types of games moved on to the shooter area.

potatowave:

Aura Guardian:

I think Resident Evil 4 was still scary, but in a different kind of way. It was more of a tenseness. The original Resident Evils were "you only have a few bullets and you're trapped in a claustrophobic hallway," while RE4 was more "everyone in the village wants to put an icepick through your brain, and you never know how they'll try to kill you next." I mean, even when I had an arsenal to put a Modern Warfare character to shame, stuff like the Regenerators and the Iron Maidens still made me jump out of my seat.

Maybe you're right. But RE4 was still too actiony for a survival horror game.

I actually had the completely opposite experience with Shattered Memories. (Maybe because I played it on PS2?) The psych profile nailed me down completely, and a lot of the imagery was genuinely disturbing.

Still, really funny review, and the pink dress bit? Hilarious.

soooo... basically you... liked it!?!?

i well... among the shittiest things that you could expect you got the not so shitty experience for you then

i guess you had your hopes soo down that it seemed fairly interesting haha

I dont think he has warmed up to the wii at all.....
Not sure if that urine reference that just sprung into everyones mind simultaneously like so many john malkovich's was intentional or not, but rather I just think he didnt take the piss (oh there it is again) out of it as much as usual.

That pink dress comment made me LOL so hard!! Good job Yatzee, this was a great review all the way through. I still haven't played it, but I may have to boot up SH2 again :-)

Great review, Yahtzee, but what's with all of the inaccruate Autism jokes?
You seem confuse having Autism with just being insane, the two are different.

I know they're jokes, but it just bugs me.

I actually really liked the whole "evil cult" thing in the Silent Hill games. It wasn't them who were the real threat, it was that girl who they tortured to death in order to turn her into their own personel god and who then became the evil looming presence that controls the town (atleast, that's what I understand from it).

"craps in bed"
*silence*
MOVING ON

XD
Yup, ZP is definitely going uphill again.

what amazes me is that this game was delayed by the volcano going off and he didnt resoart to using the psp or ps2 version
(for everyone wondering silent hill arcade is a rail shooter)

I dunno, am I the only one who thought the story was full of plotholes (spoilers)? I mean the revelation about Harry for one makes his ownership of a fancy hi-tech iPhone completely nonsensical. And I guessed who the person in therapy was within the first ten minutes (mind you I didn't quite know how it was going to work but was hoping against the dread that they were just going to go all Sixth Sense with it.)

I dunno how real people changing in appearance based on your choices is "psychological" either, they could have NOT done that and focused on making the Otherworld change instead. I swear they only chose ice because of the graphical limitations of the Wii.

And I was kind of annoyed that the town of Silent Hill seemingly had nothing to do with events, the story could have taken place anywhere, change the name of the town and characters and you'd swear it was just a rip-off of Alan Wake.

This one had some lovely imagery...

i have never played a silent hill game, but i do know that they are supposed to be scary, and so the simple saying of 'its not scary' has already made up my mind that i will not like it, for i would only buy it for the scary bit.

I feel too insecure about picking up another survival horror game after the total trainwreck that was Siren Blood Curse, a game that got pretty decent reviews but deserved no more than a 2/10 in my opinion. I'll have to watch someone else play Shattered Memories first.

I've never been a big fan of the Silent Hill games, so it's nice to see that I'm not missing much. Though I am curious as to how accurately it would read me, considering I have some near OCD-level behaviors when playing games that don't show up anywhere else.

Best ZP in a month. Great one!

SYSTEM-J:
Does the game lack any blood or horror because Nintendo are still stuck in that anti-nastiness mindset that goes back to the bloodless SNES version of Mortal Kombat?

Konami's game. Not Nintendo. Konami's call. Not Nintendo.
Plus

Pretty spot on review. The game is VERY engaging but isn't very scary. When everything is normal you don't have much to fear, and the ice cold/running segments have a few thrills but don't compare to Silent Hill 1-3's heavy atmosphere. I'm on my 2nd playthrough now, but I'm shooting for the "UFO" ending this time. If you have a Wii and are looking for an engaging and original experience I highly recommend this game, although given it's length it's probably better as a rental than a full purchase, unless you're like me and your local video store goes out of business and you can pick up a copy for $17.

Awesome, loved it, funny as hell this week. And yes, the shit gets real when I put on a pink dress too.

Quiet Stranger:
I always knew this game was shit, but this review has just confirmed it more so, they took the BEST Silent Hill in the series and turned it into shit, they made Harry a fucking pussy and made the town of Silent Hill a joke, if they wanna do a true remake just take the first Silent Hill and up the graphics

You didn't pay much attention then, he said it wasn't bad and that's it's how a reboot of a series should be done, and praised the story.

The review pretty much echoed my own thoughts, They took the basic premise of Silent Hill and did their own thing with it, and tried out a few experimental ideas. Some of the ideas were misguided and didn't really work, and some of them could have worked if they'd executed them better, but it made for an interesting game with an enjoyable story nonetheless; it was a lot better than Homecoming.

If they keep making Silent Hill games then they need to try different things with the formula. Horror and predictable are two words that don't go together, which is why origins and homecoming failed, this at least tried something different.

Aura Guardian:

SYSTEM-J:

Konami's game. Not Nintendo. Konami's call. Not Nintendo.
Plus

Yeah Nintendo stopped caring about violence when Mortal Kombat 2 came out for SNES.

On a roll from last week!

meredithe:
I just played this, so it was a timely review for me. I found the game mediocre and disappointing; I think I need to try the real SH games everyone loves so much.

Yes do, 1 and 2 are the ones i loved. Best atmosphere although shoddy controls.

Holy crap, he actually liked a new game. Well, "liked" might be a stretch, but he enjoyed it since the trashing was pretty much at a minimum.

I was constantly making the exact same argument when defending the lack of combat in the game. Shame that it ended up being a classic case of "great idea, poor execution". If they had accomplished that, I seriously would have considered it to be on-par with Silent Hill 2.

Aura Guardian:

Dumping on the Wii get old so fast it's not funny. Actually it was never funny. Nintendo did release a proper next gen system. It's so successful that Sony and Microsoft would said that what Nintendo is doing was silly is now copying them to get the money Nintendo got. Plus, The Wii has a lot of great games. The ahem.."Hardcore" gamers are blind because they see other games that don't hold their attention. And in this generation of games...the games for the "hardcore" audience needs online,guns,blood,gore,guns,QTE, and guns. RPGS need to be in the Bioware status or needs to be well known(Final Fantasy). The Wii has Rpgs,shooters,platformers, and action titles. Games like Muramasa,Little King Story for example don't get noticed because the gamers who would love those types of games moved on to the shooter area.

You must point me to some of these games, because the only ones I've seen for the Wii are multi-console games that look and play significantly worse then their PS3/Xbox counterparts (ie, CoD 5) and the insulting casual gamer plague (Wii Sports, Music, etc.)

By the way, this is not intended to be trolling. I seriously want to know some examples of 'good' Wii games. My sister got a Wii for Christmas a while back, and while she is a casual gamer who is easiy amused by Animal Crossing and Boom Blox, I have been stuck with the watered down port of CoD 5. So, when I'm home for the summer, I want to play some good Wii games - which I do believe exist.

OT: Great video, Yahtzee. I like the snow instead of the fog. Don't know why, though.

Pure jokes. Great episode.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or