Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Hyyyyypoooocryyyyyyteee...
Didn't good ol' Yahtzee feature some of that "evil cult nonsense" in one of the games he himself made? Six Days a Sacrifice, if I'm not mistaken, was all about evil cult nonsense!

it was not that i cryed of laughing for 3 full minutes but it was pretty funny and true =D

Well that was better than expected.Thought it was in for a bashing...
Personally, I did find some parts creepy, like the car in the river and the Endless Otherworld maze (and "I love my Daddy!*99999999")....also, wasn't anyone else freaked out by the little girl/static/ghost screaming whenever you got close to it?
Hm...I also think he got something different from my experience...Instead of spitting some blood, the person's whole face was bleeding(starting from the eyes of course).Never give someone the wrong medication...
I found the monster chases quite thrilling, specially the one when you get home...To others, it may seem annoying or gimmicky though it isn't.
Overall, I think it's the lack of that many different paths that's annoying...There's only 4:Weak, Alcoholic, Sex obsessed, and Super-Dad...I certainly know that the Alcoholic Monsters are the scariest of the bunch, not to mention the ones with giant lips and boobs....Though I think he should have touched up on the Mementos feature(and the UFOs)...
Overall, a great review, with some awesome jokes and some good analysis( I agree with the Wii remote suddenly hating on me for no reason)...Though I really liked the Twist.

QUINTIX:
I never understood the whole PAL (50fps)/NTSC (60fps) nonsense.

Mains current in the US is 60 Hz. Europe's is 50Hz. Both these frequencies are very tightly regulated so that wall clocks will keep accurate time. So it made some sense to make it a fundamental time base for televisions.

Also, once upon a time, having mutually incompatible television standards was seen as advantageous to certain governments, so that their citizens couldn't tune in to any damned thing, but only those signals that conformed to (and whose broadcasters were regulated by) the government standards. Hence, the gratuitous differences, even throughout Europe. (One very old joke is that SECAM is the French word for PAL.)

Sync-to-anything computer monitors are very recent developments, comparatively speaking, only appearing in the late 1980's - early 1990's. They were more complicated, and hence five times more expensive, than an ordinary television which only needed to sync to one signal type. It's only in the last eight years or so that "televisions" and "computer monitors" have become so similar electrically that manufacturing convergence has taken place.

Also, there is the whole sticky issue of films being shot at 24fps ever since sound has been added to film. 24 does not divide into 50 or 60 evenly.

Motion pictures are over 100 years old at this point, predating residential electricity for most people. And even at that time, electricity wasn't standardized. Thomas Edison was supplying DC current to New York, whereas Westinghouse was supplying AC current. And not even mechanical television existed yet...

Even my cheap 17" 1440x900 LCD panel lets me set the refresh rate to 75hz. C'mon, What's wrong with a little flexibility!?

Because Nintendo -- and by extension the software developer -- has to assume that the user doesn't have a super-splooge-worthy monitor, but rather has a cruddy second-hand NTSC tube display with a monaural two-inch paper cone speaker. Otherwise, they'll return the game and/or the Wii to WalMart and say, "It doesn't work."

From cats to dogs, I see.

So I'm guessing that we'll be getting a review of NMH2 next month, if possible. If not, that's okay.

i really liked this one. the recent ones have been meh but this actually good

no gore and blood?

looks like yahtzee isnt fucked up enough to have gotten the nasty bits

i had my friend play through this, and i was pretty concerned at his mental state after observing all the horrible changes the games had made for him, like a gigantic bear split open with guts poured on the floor, and a screaming bloody wiggling sleeping bag

i got a stuffed bear and a briefly twitching bag.

my playthough tried to play on my relationships, his playthough tried to play on how much he loves fucked up things, seems like yahtzee may have gotten the same surroundings and ending as me

was kinda dissapointed when i saw it wasnt splinter cell. but the review was as always hilarious. i guess wii games are actually good for something, being made fun of. oh fuck not a pink dress!

WOW! The first 5 commenters didnt get banned on a ZP video thread! The Escapist has finally learned! This is a gread day.

Anyways, i was actually considering buying this game, i still don't know however. The Wii hardware is whats putting me off.

Such as shame on my side in all honesty. I long ago made it a vow to remain tempermental towards games if Yahtzee warned against them, so while being an American and having had the ability to buy it for months, I've remained wary. Still, being able to kick the can of the two latest installments without any horror does indicate a step in the right direction. And while he did say the controls and level design weren't up to par, he didn't rip on them as much as Silent Hill 4, which is also quite positive. I guess I may rent the game at the very least, and nominate myself to write the next game at most.

Wow. There was a a silent hill arcade game??? I totally want to see how much that sucks.

Your funniest review in quite a while. I guess Silent Hill does that to you.

idk before i felt you had lost your touch, like if you were consumed by your fame and glory. This episode was good, you actually reviewd a game this time instead of bashing it. I mean, you bashed it, but you actually hit on every annoying point of this game...anyway...you prob will never read this so why bother.

Stupid question, but....

How much of a spoiler is this? Yes, they are all kind of spoiler-ish. But not all, i can watch plenty like Arkham Asylum and Bionic Commando without it ruining the game.

SO.....

spoiler alert?

If I had a Wii I think I'd buy this, its good that they are trying to do something a little different.

Having said that, Ice and snow is a blatant crutch to hide poor draw distances and pop up.

Wup, sounds like we can chalk this one up on his RARE reviews of games that he acutally LIKES.

Nojh:
Wow. There was a a silent hill arcade game??? I totally want to see how much that sucks.

the ending of the video kicks ass

good one

Akurenji:
Silent Hill 2 was one of the best games I have ever played

I wish the camera angles didn't make it so damn hard to play :( :(

The whole psychological test in Shattered Memories sounds a bit gimmicky to me. It's kinda a cheap way to try and enter the player's head, after all Psychological horrors are all about being subtle and devious right? It's too up front, just set the format up so it automatically adjusts to the way you play the game. Then add some grotesque monstrosities and have them infrequently pop out at you and you've got yourself a winner.

hoov:

Quiet Stranger:
I always knew this game was shit, but this review has just confirmed it more so, they took the BEST Silent Hill in the series and turned it into shit, they made Harry a fucking pussy and made the town of Silent Hill a joke, if they wanna do a true remake just take the first Silent Hill and up the graphics

You didn't pay much attention then, he said it wasn't bad and that's it's how a reboot of a series should be done, and praised the story.

The review pretty much echoed my own thoughts, They took the basic premise of Silent Hill and did their own thing with it, and tried out a few experimental ideas. Some of the ideas were misguided and didn't really work, and some of them could have worked if they'd executed them better, but it made for an interesting game with an enjoyable story nonetheless; it was a lot better than Homecoming.

If they keep making Silent Hill games then they need to try different things with the formula. Horror and predictable are two words that don't go together, which is why origins and homecoming failed, this at least tried something different.

I still think it sucks, I mean fucking no weapons? (except for flashlight) thats bullshit, and Silent Hill (the first one) the monsters are there because of Alessa not Harry, and taking away the evil cult is bull shit too cause then it's just an ordinary town with some mental case running around

Tanzka:
Brilliant, as always. The "bad in bed" part cracked me up immensely. Dunno why, must be tired.

I'm sure people have mentioned this to you, but he said "crap" in bed. But I'll be honest, if it really did say "bad in bed", the joke probably would have been about 5 times funnier.

As much as I love ZP...the casual misogyny is really getting old.

That was a lot more positive than I thought it was going to be, and I agreed with pretty much every point. So many cool gameplay ideas that were implemented imperfectly (the psych evaluations, the chase sequences, changing experiences all left something to be desired, but I liked them), that I just hope the next game (whatever it's supposed to be), refines them and builds from there.

bjj hero:

Having said that, Ice and snow is a blatant crutch to hide poor draw distances and pop up.

So's fog, and that's been a staple of Silent Hill from day one ;). I think Yahtzee pointed out in one of his Extra Punctuation columns that game-making isn't about having no limitations, but to know your limitations, and have them work for you.

The "you're a prick" on the bricks was hilarious.

I dub thee PRICK BRICK :V

SamElliot'sMustache:

bjj hero:

So's fog, and that's been a staple of Silent Hill from day one ;). I think Yahtzee pointed out in one of his Extra Punctuation columns that game-making isn't about having no limitations, but to know your limitations, and have them work for you.

No arguments from me, the difference is I'm more aware of the tricks of the trade than I was a decade ago.

Yahtzee, your analogies always puts games in a humorous perspective.

He didn't totally rape it so it might be a decent game. I'd liked to know what the stop playing test for this one is.

Wahful:
WOW! The first 5 commenters didnt get banned on a ZP video thread! The Escapist has finally learned! This is a gread day.

Anyways, i was actually considering buying this game, i still don't know however. The Wii hardware is whats putting me off.

it is also available for PS2 and PSP. I almost want to try it on PS@ to see what fucked up things it throws at me

J-Alfred:

Aura Guardian:

Dumping on the Wii get old so fast it's not funny. Actually it was never funny. Nintendo did release a proper next gen system. It's so successful that Sony and Microsoft would said that what Nintendo is doing was silly is now copying them to get the money Nintendo got. Plus, The Wii has a lot of great games. The ahem.."Hardcore" gamers are blind because they see other games that don't hold their attention. And in this generation of games...the games for the "hardcore" audience needs online,guns,blood,gore,guns,QTE, and guns. RPGS need to be in the Bioware status or needs to be well known(Final Fantasy). The Wii has Rpgs,shooters,platformers, and action titles. Games like Muramasa,Little King Story for example don't get noticed because the gamers who would love those types of games moved on to the shooter area.

You must point me to some of these games, because the only ones I've seen for the Wii are multi-console games that look and play significantly worse then their PS3/Xbox counterparts (ie, CoD 5) and the insulting casual gamer plague (Wii Sports, Music, etc.)

By the way, this is not intended to be trolling. I seriously want to know some examples of 'good' Wii games. My sister got a Wii for Christmas a while back, and while she is a casual gamer who is easiy amused by Animal Crossing and Boom Blox, I have been stuck with the watered down port of CoD 5. So, when I'm home for the summer, I want to play some good Wii games - which I do believe exist.

OT: Great video, Yahtzee. I like the snow instead of the fog. Don't know why, though.

The Animal Crossing for the Wii was a bit disappointing.

Muramasa The Demon Blade
Little Kings Story
Rune Factory
House of the Dead Overkill
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Battalion Wars 2
Metroid Prime 3(trilogy if you can find it)
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Sonic And SEGA All Star Racing
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Monster Hunter Tri
Pokemon Battle Revolution
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess(If you don't have the GC version)
The Conduit(Far better than COD W@W though short. Number 2 looks promising)
And a lot of upcoming ones. I'll list these for now since I'm in a rush

"...and 'Possibly crap in bed'... Moving On!" XD

This episode has the best jokes in the entire series so far, all of them are great! Keep it up!

So you're looking forward to NMH2 even though it's a sequel to a game whose uniqueness was its saving grace?

Funny from start to finish, great review.

BTW, is there a 360 or PS3 version of this game?

SHIT'S GETTING REAL!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or