Review: Super Street Fighter IV

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Super Street Fighter IV

It may be a second verse, but it's better than the first.

Read Full Article

i love the reviews!

keep on the good work!

It might be worth to point out that there's been a great deal of rebalancing, making characters previously thought to be jokes into viable choices. At least until someone discovers the new cheese.

I would love to play this, but I'm too ham-fisted to pull off any combos so when I tried SSIV at a mates, I couldn't even complete it on easy.

Hehe, Nice to see them making some changes in it. Gonna love playing this when I can finally pick it up!

Wait... SF4 has a Turk fighter? AWESOME! We Turks need to be in more games.

Nice review, I just started playing the regular SF and I'm loving it. After seeing this review I must now get the better version.

What rewards do owners get in SSF4 if they have SF4?

Daystar Clarion:

Besides the pleasure of mild redundancy? Don't mind it a bit, it happened to me back in the SNES days.

p.s. - at 2:23 in the vid. Makoto looks really enthusiastic for what she was about to do to poor Sakura. Was that an intentional capture? Bonus points: Try to un-see!

I will end up having to rent this to see if balancing was actually done to some extent. Given that was probably my only issue with the original.

Daystar Clarion:

As far as I'm aware, not that much. Some "cool" exclusive color palettes if you have SFIV save data. That said, I'm getting it tomorrow.

Aack. Not buying now for several reasons

1) No arcade stick :(
2) I still own SF4
3) DRM on PSN Final Fight

Daystar Clarion:

A pencil sketch filter for the characters making them look more like their cutscene counterparts.

I.e. not much.

How did vega play?

Sheepzor:
How did vega play?

I can answer this as I play charge characters mostly in (S)SF4. He now has a proper overhead, his ultra II can be comboed into (in fact, there are very few instances you'd want to use his other ultra anymore), his moves are slightly bit faster and his super does almost a third more damage than it used to. He's not awesome or anything but I wager he's a solid mid-tier character now.

It's really too bad that Keane NG won't be around to kick you guys' asses at this this time around.

Woe Is You:

I can answer this as I play charge characters mostly in (S)SF4. He now has a proper overhead, his ultra II can be comboed into (in fact, there are very few instances you'd want to use his other ultra anymore), his moves are slightly bit faster and his super does almost a third more damage than it used to. He's not awesome or anything but I wager he's a solid mid-tier character now.

His U1 has been changed to hit on it's way to the wall much like EX-Barcelona. This change turns it from crap to "pretty darn awesome". There're still really good reasons to use U1.

Great review. I am mildly obsessed with Street Fighter 3 and 4 so the roster in this is friggin awesome for me. Blanka and Makoto for me please!

Have they nerfed Sagat? People online seem to only use him and Akuma.

Prefer Chun-Li myself.

Cant wait to get me some Guy... That sounded better in my head.

Woe Is You:

Sheepzor:
How did vega play?

When you say slightly faster does that mean the priority is better? Sick of him getting stuffed mid move.

Eremiel:

His U1 has been changed to hit on it's way to the wall much like EX-Barcelona. This change turns it from crap to "pretty darn awesome". There're still really good reasons to use U1.

Good stuff :D

If this game was like $20 I'd buy it.

I didn't bother buying the original SFIV because I was considering it right when this one was announced. I'll have to borrow my buddies original version and make a save file so I can get those 'cool alternate costumes'
I do think they kind of grifted people here. $40 (us) is awfully steep for what is essentially a patch and a couple downloads.

Armored Prayer:

Do all turkish people have turquoise sprockets welded to their heads or is it just Hakan?

The timing for attack combos is still WAAAAAAY too strict. I can't even do a simple STAND LK->STAND MK half the time.

Wait, they actually added Ibuki?

SOLD

I mean, I don't own the original SF4 anyways

Onyx Oblivion:
The timing for attack combos is still WAAAAAAY too strict. I can't even do a simple STAND LK->STAND MK half the time.

Well, it's the same engine with refinements. I personally didn't even expect that to change.

But normals generally don't chain into each other in SF4 (unless they're light attacks) so something like s.lk>s.mk is a link (i.e. you explicitly have to wait until an attack ends before you can hit the next one). But which character has this link, anyway? None of the characters I remember playing has that.

Question to people who already played either SFIV or SSFIV: I don't play online, and I'm using my PS3 to play fighting games with my friends occasionally, so actually single player is important to me. Is there some interesting SP modes, some kind of story mode, or just simple and boring arcade 'beat 8 random dudes + boss and thanks for playing'?

I love large, red, lubed up... turkish people?

Also, did i hear the nuke count down from MW2 at the end, or have i been playign too much COD =[

Yossarian1507:
Is there some interesting SP modes, some kind of story mode, or just simple and boring arcade 'beat 8 random dudes + boss and thanks for playing'?

No, the single player content is pretty non-existent aside from the arcade mode. You have the trials that teach you (largely suboptimal and downright weird) combos and the arcade mode for the most part and that's it. There were speed challenges in the original but those are replaced with car and barrel breaking stages.

There's actually less reason to play single player in general since all the characters are unlocked from the get-go (unlike vanilla SF4) and you get most titles, colors and taunts simply by playing multiplayer unlike the previous game. I personally think this is a good thing.

Sheepzor:

Woe Is You:

Sheepzor:
How did vega play?

When you say slightly faster does that mean the priority is better? Sick of him getting stuffed mid move.

No, I mean moves feel like they're having less startup overall. This is mostly just me playing against other players and dicking around with the practice mode so it isn't based on actual data. The hitboxes seem to have been adjusted a bit, though, and his scarlet terror seems to trade in many of the situations where it would otherwise get stuffed in vanilla. It doesn't hit clean but a traded scarlet terror means a free ultra for Vega so it's not all bad.

I don't know, I steel feel cheated about SSF4. Or at least disappointed about Capcom for not releasing the new Fighters as dlc. I just don't have another 40€ to spend for 10 new characters. -__-

ace_of_something:
I didn't bother buying the original SFIV because I was considering it right when this one was announced. I'll have to borrow my buddies original version and make a save file so I can get those 'cool alternate costumes'
I do think they kind of grifted people here. $40 (us) is awfully steep for what is essentially a patch and a couple downloads.

Armored Prayer:

Do all turkish people have turquoise sprockets welded to their heads or is it just Hakan?

Maybe the ones on the east side of the country have them too. I've never been there.

Odd... it never notified me that you quoted me.

That's... pretty much all the time I want to spend listening to oiled Turkish flesh. Uggh...

Woe Is You:

Onyx Oblivion:

Well, it's the same engine with refinements. I personally didn't even expect that to change.

But normals generally don't chain into each other in SF4 (unless they're light attacks) so something like s.lk>s.mk is a link (i.e. you explicitly have to wait until an attack ends before you can hit the next one). But which character has this link, anyway? None of the characters I remember playing has that.

I was actually just making a random example. It's hard trouble "linking" two attack together, then, I suppose. The timing is really strict. I hit brick walls in Challenge mode thanks to this timing being so strict. For example...I'm stuck on a Juri challenge.

Crouch LK, Crouch LK, Standing MK

opiwankenobi:
I don't know, I steel feel cheated about SSF4. Or at least disappointed about Capcom for not releasing the new Fighters as dlc. I just don't have another 40€ to spend for 10 new characters. -__-

I don't think it's 40 euro (well, depends on the country I guess).

Well of course the Tea Kwon Do fighter uses mostly her legs.Tea Kwon Do is all about self defense with your legs.

Otherwise great review that gave a lot of insight of something that is not something that I really had any interest in...Until now.

Didn't the producer state that SSF4 would include some kind of bonus for buyers who've already purchased the original? Does anyone know if it's still in there?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here