Arty Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I do agree on "The Longest Journey". I hadn't played it before a two months or so ago, and even though it is a bit old, I found it to be beautiful. The story is quite captivating. *considers* I think I will check out Jade Empire in a while too, if at all possible. It did sound quite nice. My suggestion for "a game that is art" would be Golden Sun. I do not know if it is or not, but I certainly thought the soundtrack and scenery quite "artsy".

I like these weekly columns. They always give me good inspiration, sort of, to go check out a game I have not played or heard of.

I liked your comment about those who don't like portal probably don't like Braveheart because Mel Gibson died at the end.

I disliked Braveheart because it was sold as a historical movie but had very little to do with actual events. Mel Gibson must have failed History in high school.

I'd pick the darkness for art in gaming. It was highly stylised, had a great story (as games go at least) and made you emotionally invested in the charecter in a way that few games do.

I's also forward Shenmue, a fantastic experience. It created a world to inhabit. If possible I'd demo it with English subtitles as the voice acting was legendarily bad.

I have a newfound respect for Shamus for mentioning Jade Empire in this article. While definitely lacking in some areas (the morality system was a good idea, since it played off the awful truth that "doing the right thing" isn't always the best course of action, but in the end it still played like a "good vs evil" morality system), the game had a lovely story and characters, and a beautiful atmosphere, even in the old flooded town with all the ghosts.

Oh, and Jeet Kune Do-inspired fighting style for the win.

The first game I played that made me think of games as art was probably Bioshock, just the whole feel of Rapture, the architecture, the backstory and the characters. In my eyes the control scheme, at least on the 360, was far clunkier than other shooters released at the same time (ie. Halo 3), but the haunting imagery of a once great city and the stories of some of it's citizens (especially Diane Mcclintlock) dragged me into its beautiful, if dilapidated, world. After finishing it I tried to play it through again but got annoyed at the splicers attacking me when all I wanted to do was look at the world it was in in more detail, its one of the few game-worlds I've played in that didn't require gameplay necessarily and would have been utterly amazing to be given free reign to explore.

Krelias:
Well, in terms of art engaging thought and emotions, i would have to say Fallout tree i remember pausing the game to think about the moral implications of my choices several times and getting so immersed in it that i actually got a bit depressed while i played it and got to thinking of the hopless and destructive nature of human behaviour. Since i hadn't done that for a long time while reading a book or after watching a movie, I have to say that in my book that was the turning point when i really felt a video-game as a powerful medium to convey emotions. And the really cool thing was that it wasn't the content of the story or dialogues per se that made me feel that way, i had seen all that before in coutles works of fiction but the way in witch they were presented to, me really making interactivity feel like an active element in delivering the drama instead of just some gimmick to give you something to do betwwen cuscenes that really shines hope upon the video games potential to become art. I think someone like Egbert would really enjoy Fallout even if he would have major dificulties with the unconfortable and buggy gameplay at least he would be hooked in by Ron Pearlman's Liam Neeson's voices at the beegining.

On a side note, i wonder if Martin Sheen or Liam Neeson or Patrick Stuart see the work they've done in video game voice acting as wothy of their trade or just a way to make a quick buck. And if any of them or other big screen actors that have crossed over to voice-acting for games view games as a proper artform.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 for similar reasons, I found the beginning extremely sad when you're thrown out of the vault and I felt so guilty for killing the overseer (I thought he was going to kill his daughter). Exploring the game world (especially at lower levels) I found did make me feel extremely vulnerable. It was extremely well constructed I felt.

Games as Art (capitalized)...

Sometimes it's more the fault of the one behind the controller/keyboard when a game experience falls below the point that a game could be considered 'Art' rather than just a game. If a bystander can sit and have an emotional connection to the game being played, then I certainly consider that game to have faded the line between the two (Note: In this case I'm referring to more 'Cinematic Art', like a good film... There is also 'Audio/Visual' art, the kind you can just sit/stand there and take in.) However, if the one playing can't keep progressing forward without having to repeat some arbitrary segment, then the bystander's experience will most often be lessened for it. (I'm looking at you, Uncharted2, and your end boss fight and bridge race... You're only forgiven because it was LITERALLY the end.)

My list, for what it's worth...

MYST Series - from the first game on the PC, then Riven on the PSX, and finally tracking down the whole series for one giant binge session over a month, this series always gripped with an acceptable storyline, unique puzzles and absolutely amazing environments.

7th Guest / Eleventh Hour - arguably a MYST clone, but the storyline, creepy environment, and sinister tauntings of Faust made this another gripping puzzle game for me and the whole family.

Today, I think that the only element to the detriment of the above games is technology in general... Computers have to be wrestled with to get these old classics to run, and the production quality, though cutting edge for the time, can be seen as seriously substandard.

Uncharted Series (both Drake's Fortune & Among Thieves) - In simplest terms, the weeks of playing these two games was one of the best movie experiences my children and I (and wife, here and there) have had together. The pacing was outstanding, the tension palpable at times, and the camera and gameplay melded perfectly. With only a few exceptions, noted in the intro, this was one of the best games for both the player and the observer.

Rez - This techno/rave shooter is both visually and auditorily stimulating, but also, with an imported accessory, tactile as well (we'll get to this later, since it's not really a basis for my opinion of Rez being Art). The visuals are vibrant, the environmental sounds (enemies, shooting, powerups, etc.) almost musical in quality, all with thumping bass and rave dj mixes setting the tone of the frenetic gameplay.

Now, as to the rumblepack accessory, I'd suggest tracking down the Game Girl Advance article on the subject. I'm sure it has to be archived somewhere... For me, the exchange went pretty much like this: (playing Rez in livingroom when wife comes in) "Whatcha playing?" "New game... Here. Hold this a sec." ::toss her the rumble pack:: "What? Oh, woah..."

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Oh man your gonna make me cry.

I love Ikaruga.
The Touhou games are also Hell Shooters that are Artistic.

True but not as artistic as a Treasure game. I'm a Treasure fan. So you can guess what I think of those bullet hell games.

EDIT:Don't I always make you cry...in a good way?

Haha.
Im pretty sure i can guess.
Touhou is a cool Hell Shooter but it aint got nothing on Gunstar.
Am i right?

and, yes......yes you do.

Gigaguy64:

Aura Guardian:

Gigaguy64:

Oh man your gonna make me cry.

I love Ikaruga.
The Touhou games are also Hell Shooters that are Artistic.

True but not as artistic as a Treasure game. I'm a Treasure fan. So you can guess what I think of those bullet hell games.

EDIT:Don't I always make you cry...in a good way?

Haha.
Im pretty sure i can guess.
Touhou is a cool Hell Shooter but it aint got nothing on Gunstar.
Am i right?

and, yes......yes you do.

You are correct.

And that's good. Gooooooooooood

No love for Ico? That game is an experience.

And so is Planescape Torment. There was such a richness to the world. The very premise of the main character was arty, along with the fact that a long of content was there to be found if you were curious. It was because everything had an awesome description, that I bought everything in the magic shop. You could miss a big chunk of gaming and Nordom, my favourite character, if you didn't pick up the modron action figure and work out how to activate the portal.

Eternal Darkness might be a good one. The Combat and gameplay mechanics are easy enough for someone to pick up and learn and the story is interesting. And of course the way that the game messes with your mind is just simply amazing.

Mother 3 would be a good choice as well. The combat is quite literally simple enough for a monkey (Anything that might not be simple is fully explained in detail on the way through the game). The story is in my opinion one of the best RPG stories ever (Way better then 99% of Final Fantasy and other crappy JRPG's) And the way the combat interacts with the story at the ending is just heartbreaking.

While i was reading the article i was brainstorming of games myself, and as Shamus already beat me to the punch by mentioning portal in his article i'll mention my 2nd favorite, Golden Sun (and i mean both, assuming they enjoyed the first). Honestly while i was playing the game i felt like i was reading a story rather than playing a game, not saying that's bad. It also has a relatively simple combat system being an RPG and has slightly more depth if you want to go looking for it. Also being on a handheld system it's easy to pick up and put down whenever and wherever you feel like. Oh another good note is that the game is largely linear as long as they pay attention.

*EDIT*

You know what? i'm gonna have to add Prince of Persia Sands of Time to my post, purely because of the ending. Up until that point it was just fun to play, maybe a little too difficult for a complete newb however the end, the way i saw it, shed doubt over everything i had just accomplished, was it even real? (in the context of the game world) or was it just a grand story cooked up by the prince? even though i thought of myself as the prince i still doubted my role in the game.

I think that the original Rayman Trilogy could be used as an argument,too!
I have never experienced so much mindblowing creativty!

For anyone really interested in this topic I recommend reading the article below. It's a bit long, but it gives some pretty good points on how to define art citing people who actually work on philosphy of art and not just the "well, I think art is...." or "art is subjective" escape arguments (no intention of criticizing anyone in particular, it's just how this debate always seems to end up). It also argues about the continuum that exists in human cultural expressions, and that something can be craft and art, sport and hobby, art and sport (as video games). There are overlaps, it's not tidy enough to be able to draw a clear line where one ends and the other begins.

http://kotaku.com/5527281/video-games-and-the-philosophy-of-art

I agree with what was said about games containing art or themselves being art. I believe that intention is something very important for something to achieve the rank of Art. Movies, music, writings, buildings, etc are made all the time without any intention of them actually achieving artistic merit. They use a medium that can achieve art, but that's not the objective. If a game has brilliant writing, or wonderful art style, or some other thing, it's not art if there is no intention of it having artistic merit as a whole. That's why games that get to artistic intention through the gameplay and not in spite of the gameplay should be the ones used as examples. If the same games keep getting used as examples it's because those are the ones that are outstanding in their achievements. It's like when people call upon Citizen Kane or Hitchcock (or Shakespeare for theatre, Le Corbusier for Architecture) as the poster boys of their art.

With that, I agree about The Longest Journey, or World of Goo and Portal. They work throught the mechanics of their respective genre to generate the artistic intention (discovery, insight, empathy, or some other emotion). That's why I think Okami, Ico, SoTC and PoP:SoT leave you with the sense of having experienced something artistic. I too add Myst and Grim Fandango to the list. Also, I'd add Rez and Flower to the mix. And just because I love those games, The Last Express and Beyond Good and Evil (just for the photojournalist angle and the use of the camera to drawn you into the story and the world you inhabit).

Why the lack of love for shooters? So far they are fun, but I feel they still struggle in using the mechanics of the game to get to the emotion. Instead they rely on cutscenes, conversations, vistas and tons of stuff that are not the core of the gameplay style. In that sense, God of War could be seen as art, brutal art, but a ballet of the grotesque. Art doesn't always have to be happy, airy or inspiring stuff. It should also seek to be confrontative, jarring and unsettling.

I'll stop here, because I could just go on and on and on and on.....

After a lot of thought, I've finally thought of a game that hasn't been mentioned that should be: Dead Rising. Before you start flaming me, just hear me out. I don't think anyone will deny that Dead Rising drew a lot of inspiration from George A. Romero's "Dawn of the Dead", a film widely acknowledged as being a "masterpiece". Even Ebert himself gave it praises. It wasn't just a zombie horror film, it was a critique of Western consumerism. Dead Rising takes that and makes it interactive, and therefore allows the player to become a part of the art. It's not just a rip-off of a classic, it's a re-imagining and interactive retelling of it. If that's not art, then I don't know what is.

There are lots of arty things, I don't consider to be art either, but attract attention in the elitist world where everyone wants to be avant-garde. I like Roger Ebert and enjoy reading his reviews of MOVIES. I would never care what some old guy cared about a computer game.

I too love Jade Empire, it is more cinematic than any other Bioware game, and I love them all. Another game I think deserves the art label is Planescape: Torment, it is a fantastic story presented with humour, pathos and a bit of classic horror. I remember the first time I played it and was unspoiled. Wow, it is an experience I put up there with discovering George RR Martin, or reading Lord of the Rings the first time, or seeing Star Wars. That's art isn't it?

For me, it has to be Myst, Riven, Bioshock...hmm. I have to confess I'm stuck after that. Portal was interesting.

But now, take a step back and imagine ANY mainstream game was presented as a movie, and that the gaming industry as a whole had not existed prior to them.

The critics are ushered into small booths, disoriented and distanced from their usual haunts - instantly, they assume this is to be some gimmick, surely - but no, each of them has their own independent screens. The film starts, and they are handed a device through which they can control the very success or failure of the main character himself! At this point, it doesn't matter whether it's a dumb-as-all-getout shooter like Halo or the ghost of Samuel Beckett's re-interpretation of Braid (in which nothing happens, on infinite repeat) - the concept is so entirely radical that the work is seen as a SATIRE on the movie if it's stupid, and an ENHANCEMENT if it's not. A lot of 'art' is based on surrounding, novelty and spin - essentially, the modern consensus is "It's art if it's in an art gallery/is endorsed by an artist/appears to be novel." I disagree with this, but my interpretation of art is wider than even these people would allow - art is applied skill, of any form.

I think someone struck from the Ebert mold (if they didn't break it) will never be able to appreciate video games of any artistic quality because of the inherent lack of visual fidelity compared to what a camera captures. Pixelation, artifacts, clipping, texture smoothing, model animations and the ultimate effect of the uncanny valley all betray the technology that empowers games, and to someone with a cinema-centric eye this all will prove to be a barrier to total appreciation, regardless of it being completely beside the point. We overlook these short-comings of the medium because we are engaged with it on its own terms - Ebert makes his living engaging with cinema on its own terms and can't be expected to shift his entire mind-set to overcome the differences in presentation. Ebert is proof that even the finest examples of artistry in a new medium cannot sway the old guard simply because of the biases inherent with that position.

That said, I'd sit him down with Portal. The puzzle-solving would ease him into the discovery mechanics of immersive gaming and after a while I would hope he'd develop an appreciation of the atmosphere and the ability of the environment and experience to communicate with the player in a way that most films only aspire to. But I'm sure that even if he enjoyed the experience, he ultimately would conclude that it was satisfying and stimulating but not moving on the level of any film he'd seen, because that's just who he is.

I agree with Shadow of the Colossus fans. It's quite simply all about impressing you visually (color, lighting, shape and size are all well represented), and using your other senses to draw you in. And there are those moments where your guts turn to ice: falling off the bird (or any of the tall ones), losing sight of the electric eel and not knowing where he is in the dark water, the horse dying, etc.

I have to say that Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is very good - especially with the interesting plot moves (or magic). It is extremely good at drawing you in. Perhaps not a good one to start someone with, but how many people get all the movie jokes in Inglourious Basterds or Sukiyaki Western Django? Thats right - all the movie junkies.

I also have to point out that the Zelda series is really good to start someone on, and is very visually appealing. It has a plot - perhaps childish, but it does exist- it has good, (sometimes) simple puzzles, and the controls are some of the easiest to learn. I especially think that The Windwaker was artsy, at least in a comic book or children's style. But there is nothing about being a children's game that makes it illegitimate as art.

TraderJimmy:
For me, it has to be Myst, Riven, Bioshock...hmm. I have to confess I'm stuck after that. Portal was interesting.

How could I forget Myst?!?!? I never even finished it and i love it! good plot, wonderful world, characters you had to piece together to learn about.

sorry for posting twice, but i had to support that.

Personally, if I were inclined to show off the idea of games as art to someone, I'd go to some of the games in my psn collection. Don't really play 360 but i'm sure there's great examples on there too.

One that a few people have pointed out is flower (i'd put flow too, but think flower takes it's positives and does everything far better) . Just looking at it is you play is a wowing experience, not to mention the score that accompanies it. Navigating with the motion controls makes it feel more free flowing and the whole experience is one that I find calming. It doesn't necessarily evoke an emotional response or have any deeper meaning, but the effect is still profound and beautiful. Of course it's no great feat to play either, you can shove a controller in anyone's hand and let them try it out for themselves. These aren't the only reasons I'd select it though. It helps to break down that simplistic idea that games are all about progression, points scoring and accomplishment. Though you do play through distinct levels and have goals in a way, the lack of any puzzling elements, inherent difficulty or punishment for failure means that progression cannot be viewed as an achievement. I defy anyone to find someone that would proclaim "yes, I managed to beat flower". In order to see games as anything other than competition (either with other players, the game or your own high scores), this example breaks that down entirely, and perhaps potentially leads them open to the suggestions that games can offer something entirely different, for example, offer art :).

Not PSN but I'd say the same for the Path, I only played one scenario and found it very haunting. Played the 15 year olds campaign till I found her "wolf" round a mates place. The ending was quite disturbing I must say, but it does offer an experience rather than a challenge. A plus side to using this is that recreations, reimaginings or rerenderings, whichever term suits you best, of things like children's tales and offering them up as allegories for something deeper and darker within human nature or society seems something that critics would view as of artistic merit. The fact that much, in terms of meaning, doesn't seem to be explicitely stated, allowing interpretation to be in the hands of the player (at least that seemed the case in the scenario I played), art often aspires to these goals.

Another I'd look at is echochrome. First is I believe it's actually inspired by one of the worlds the most recognisable artistic images, instantly putting art in the mind of the player. Second is it's unique gameplay mechanic. Making paths and hiding and uncovering holes and jumps, changing camera angles so you fall upwards or jump downwards or whichever way you want. That something so simple carries with it so many options makes it both simple for anyone to try, but layered with complexity you can't help but admire. If that doesn't call forth an argument for games as being of artistic value, it certainly gives credence to the idea that gaming is of higher value than much of it's press gives it credit for.

Final one is linger in the shadows. Okay, even the devs don't consider it a game, but being on a gaming platform, and still involving to some extent (miniscule, but still there) interactivity. Once again because it shakes of the idea of games requiring goals and such. After all, the idea is to progress through a 6 minute clip of bizarre imagary by rewinding time, changing camera angles, and that's really it. You don't even need to do it either, as there is an option to just watch the whole clip as it is. But fiddling with these mechanics adds to the experience. More than anything it eccentuates the point that interactivity can strengthen an experience.

The great thing about these specific examples (i'm sure there's plenty I've missed but you know, can't look at everything) is that they don't rely heavily on things like plot and action in a way that many other literary or artistic forms do, and therefore showcase the individual artistic aspects that are possible only within the medium of gaming.

Of course, underlying this whole thing is a big "why should we care?" Same old thing, if you think games are art, you shouldn't need to justify your claim with such vehemence. With games especially this seems to happen (probably because unlike most other forms, it's universally unregarded as an artistic format, therefore, the minority that do feel their voices need to be heard). The competitive element drew me to gaming in the beginning, as i've seen the possibilities of expanding into new territories, I've wanted to see what other unique experiences gaming can offer. As a general rule, like with everything though, you need to be within the scene in order to explore it, so for the time being at least, videogames aren't going to be viewed as art from non-gamers. But far more optimistic the Ebert meself, I think the more examples the future has to showcase, and the more people that try it out, the more likely it is to be recognised as an artistic medium, and I don't think that point is too far away.

When arty games spring to mind I instantly picture Bioshock.

I'm not going to mention what people have said about Rapture bleeding atmosphere... From the steps of the Big daddy echoing through the ruins of a once vibrant city or "La Mer" playing as you kick your way through yet another ravaged area of the game.

No, when it comes to Art in games, just one scene springs to mind.

~ If you haven't completed Bioshock as of yet, would you kindly not read the spoilers below ~

In fort frolic, Sander Cohen (or Sander 'fucking' Cohen to the ladies) snaps once you place the 3rd picture on his masterpiece. A fight ensues, the usual "kill-all-the-enemies-to-continue" room...

-then "Waltz of the flowers starts to play"

I first thought the use of the song was gimmicky and quite cliche, (acrobatic enemies + classical music = done to death in every medium) but something dawned on me:

Due to the speedy nature (and ballet-like dodging) of the splicers, the player has to quickly weave to dodge their attacks, and frantically spin to keep sight of the foes....

I was dancing to the music, in order to survive... just like all the other faceless enemies in that room, I was dancing to Sanders tune.

I know its rather subjective, and not everyone who played that scene got the same message or experience as me, but isn't that what art is?

I've stared at paintings and movies that have given me a message that other people haven't gained, but to be in the driving seat and be immersed in the game and actually in control when this realisation hit me it was so powerful. Movies can whisper, but games have the potential to scream.

Other games have had that effect on me, but since they've been brought up over 90 times it seems superfluous to mention them at this stage.

TL;DR - OMFG!!!! RAPTURE IS LIEK S00 AMAZIN!

I've read all sorts of press concerning the "games are art" argument as of late, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about The Path. I find this strange, because The Path seemed to be one of the most artsy games I've ever heard of, just because it didn't focus on really anything but getting the artistic message across, and providing an atmosphere that really stimulated the senses.

When I was doing this to my friend, I showed them Flower (which they loved and played till the end) and then Portal (which they loved and played till the end). Right now I'm trying to get them through Half-Life 2.

There is a gamecube game called Whirl Tour; I found a copy of it in a bargin bin at Menards for something like three bucks. It is the best (first) skateboarding/scooter game I have ever played, and I would recommend it to a new comer in a heartbeat.

The game is easy enough to learn, and puts some reel imagination into the skating envoirments and objectives. I don't know how far it goes in the "Games as art" debate, but its a great little gem for those looking for an access point into the skatboarding genre, or even games as a whole.

Has Shadow of the Colossus been said? Shadow of the Colossus has probably been said. In fact, I KNOW someone out there has already said, "Shadow of the Colossus".

I'm saying it anyways.

From it's beautiful, minimalist take on the classic "Save the Princess" story trope to the jaw-dropping gorgeous and often epic set pieces and scenery, SotC can at the same time fill the player with feelings of both grand heroism and sad serenity. But what makes SotC a true success is how it manages to convey a grand and emotionally charged story with little to no dialogue, while turning the audience's expectations of what a hero is on its head. Never before have I looked upon the face of a giant boss monster and felt regret about what had to come next.

Plenty of games task you with killing your adversaries. Far too few ask you to contemplate their deaths.

P.S. And I am going to play The Last Guardian until my eyes bleed.

The Path is very moving and disturbing at times.
I'd like to submit The Graveyard as a "game" that is "Art".
Although there isn't much game to it.

If I ever had to convince someone that games are art I would instantly whip out Machinarium.

http://machinarium.net/demo/

Click the link, play the demo and tell me it isn't art. And buy the full version, the creators deserve it.

What? No Morrowind. Well, Morrowind was more artistic in its fantastic sense of architecture...*drools at Telvanni towers*

Shamus Young:
Arty Games

Five games to use in your next discussion about whether or not games are art.

Read Full Article

I'm just curious as to why Ico and Shadow of Colossus were left out. As if any games could qualify as art I definitely think these two games would be up for it. Obivously you can't say or account for every game as being art but I think these two qualify. Although I can see why Bioshock was left out.

I'm playing through "The Longest Journey" now. It's worth it for the story and characters, despite the fact that I really really really really really hate "old-school" point-and-click adventures. A lot of it comes down to trying object A on object B and hoping that you're right, and as usual there's only one solution to every puzzle. I mean, using a gold ring on a pair of electrical cables? Using an inflated rubber ducky on a clamp? Who the hell DOES that?

That said... in terms of character, atmosphere, just about everything other than gameplay, it is a fantastic achievement. So yeah, I'd agree with that one. The others I haven't played.

Not a Spy:
I'd say GTA 4, while not arty in the traditional sense, (IE:you must wear a beret whilst discussing it's merits) was one of the most emotionally evocative games I've ever played. I'd also second Seamus's pick of Jade Empire, and I'd make an argument for STALKER: SOC. While it doesn't have any great characters or bright colors, it's got the hands down most pervasively creepy and desperate atmosphere of any game. Ever. Even more than Silent Hill 2 IMHO.

E

Good for mentioning S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Easily among my favorite series on the PC. I also agree with what you have to say about GTA4.

If I were to try introducing games as art to someone, I only have two games I would show them; Bioshock and Little Wheel

http://www.kongregate.com/games/fastgames/little-wheel

I don't know why 'art' should always be either surreal, or slow-paced, with a lot of sunny scenes and piano music, but whatever.

I like games for their diversity, so that's what I'd try to show people if they ask me what games are about. Still, the one game which I had most success hooking non-games with was Doom 3 (no, seriously).

Shamus Young:
Arty Games

Five games to use in your next discussion about whether or not games are art.

Read Full Article

the entire point of this article is moot. you could have shown any examples, and they would still have been classified as art. art is and will be subjective. different things will always mean differently towards individual people.

this is my biggest gripe with anyone such as that guy who is causing all the commotion (i forget his name): it's subjective, so why make a statement on it at all? it's redundancy, really.

i forgot to mention: anyone who wants to be a critic for a living should have it imprinted in their minds that they are formulating subjectivity. i'm not sure whether american standards dictate that a label should be put on every piece of equipment stating, "experience may vary", or not.

Damn, I was thinking Portal AND Silent Hill 2 the whole time. Nice moves, this one won me over.

Personalty i think Metroid Prime could also be considered an Artistic game.
Between the Environments, Creatures, and the Soundtrack...
It was an amazing experience, and still is. (This is a quote. I tryed to crop is and messed it up)
Some thing I don't think people get is art in a video game and art in, say, a painting are two very different things. Paintings have to look good and have good asthetics, where as a video game can look like pixelized tire and still be art. Most (if not all) browser baced experimental games like today I die can be considered art because they make you feel something profound, and that is my defenition of art.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here