Escape to the Movies: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Nomanslander:
I don't understand how some people are against this, Halo and Bay would go perfect together, I mean Halo is made for the likes of Bay to direct.

Not really, truly the best director who can bring about a decent adaptation of a given subject matter would have to be a hardcore fan of said subject matter. I mean Tim Burton's 'Sweeny Todd' proved successful and I think that was largely because Tim was a huge fan of the original play so he applied himself more. I'm just saying I doubt someone like Micheal bay, who was able to dumb down the forumla of slasher movies, would care about the story of the Halo series (which is MUCH better than people give it credit for)

On one hand you have a director that does nothing but big dumb military fetish-ed overly melo-dramatized action movies stuffed with ADHD style and a thousand gallons of redbull, and on the other hand you have a franchise...

.... that has an emphasis on action, in the games, and outside of which has a story that seems to parody the clash between western and eastern culture. With humans that appear somewhat athiest and extremely gung-ho and militarised (UNSC) with their attitude taking the fight to an alien race that is noble, dignified dogmatic and religious (Covenant). Or is it the fact that unlike a lot of other FPS's, the aliens are shown to be a lot like humans themselves. Complete with their own personalities and friends and families and beliefs that culminate in a civil war that desrupts the balance of their empire.
Plus the fact that both armies are incidentally treading on the ground of a long forgotten war, centered around the discoveries of a powerful weapon that was mistaken as a religious icon by the Covenant and as the two sides battle and try to achieve victory over the other, alliances have to be forged and eventually a final battle with the fate of the galaxy in the balance takes place.

Now if you ask me, that is huge epic and out there stuff. And that's just the main without the various additions, because right now I don't have the room to fit it all.
Point is, feel free to dislike Halo's plot all you want, it may not be for you and I respect that, but DO NOT just reduce it to 'blagh military alienz grahhhh'.

I mean...they're just so perfect for each other...=)

As I said before, he's not a fan and is not a good director. Halo meanwhile has worthy things going for it, not just in plot but presentation, that demands someone with an artistic soul and a liking for the series.
Also, don't use smiley faces at the end of sentances.

Oh, look at it this way Halo fanboys,

People should have a right to like or dislike whatever they want without being labelled 'fanboy'. I detest that term, I am a fan and a boy but I refuse to have that term used. The term 'Halo fanboy' has been used more often as a covert insult for people who are guilty of nothing other than liking a game franchise for a VERY long time.
Why is it that if you say you like Half Life then you are a Half Life fan whereas if you like Halo, you are automatically deemed 'fanboy'. To tell you the truth I tire of it.

Bay would also be perfect for Gears of War too, and I love that big dumb machofest series to death....lol

Okay, I'll take a step back here and I apologise for getting worked up. At least you are being honest to a degree, however I still think that with Gears of War it is at a state where it is obviously not TRYING to be anything else but a beefed up actioner, though it did at least attempt to give the characters depth in Gears 2. To be honest I just don't think Micheal Bay is suited for any of this kind of material and that once again, a fan of the franchise would have more to say on how it should look then a guy only doing this for his paycheck.

Just gotta come to turns with the stuff you're a fanboy of, and in this case something really big dumb, and proud of it's pointless self...=/

As I said before, deeper analysis on Halo can show a deeper side that people often don't give it credit for. It's not the dumb machoness that everyone calls it, nor can it be the blandness that people whine about.
Believe it or not, if it was pointlessly dumb and blandly put together then it wouldn't have NEARLY the number of fans that it does.
So yeah, while I respect that you don't like Halo, I don't respect you more or less ragging on the people that do.
So, again, I apologise if this has been at all offensive and or possibly preachy but I just felt I had to get that off my chest.

Eh, have him go make a Half-life movie before a Halo movie. I could care less if that franchise was tarnished. Or maybe KOTOR? Maybe Bay should run with that?

Just cause you don't like it Bob you shouldn't wish ill things upon it. ESPECIALLY Micheal Bay.

Armored Prayer:
No, don't recommend Bay doing a Halo movie!

Just the very thought of that is making my brain bleed. Not to mention all the fans will go bat-shit crazy.

You know the majority of crazy ass halo fans would love that, right?

qbanknight:

Armored Prayer:

Just the very thought of that is making my brain bleed. Not to mention all the fans will go bat-shit crazy.

Speaking as a crazy Halo fan, no, we wouldn't.

Vrex360:

qbanknight:

Armored Prayer:

Just talking about majority, I know there are few smart ones, like yourself, out there who know Bay is a hack

qbanknight:

Vrex360:

qbanknight:

Armored Prayer:

Just talking about majority, I know there are few smart ones, like yourself, out there who know Bay is a hack

Alright then, just checking.

wadark:

I'm assuming you didn't bother to read my second post, so I'll say it again because I love to hear myself.....type.

Anyway, I'd like to call bullshit right back. Everything you say about what can make a movie "terrible" is based on a standard that was created by someone. That someone or someones created these standards using their own opinions about what makes a movie good. Like in previous "arts" (painting, sculpting, etc.) these standards shift and change over time. And given the nature of the film business, those standards shift far more rapidly than ever before. Given that, I don't understand how we can have this single set-in-stone standard that defines good and bad.

And even if you can say that a movie is bad based on those standards, that doesn't mean that it's "law" for every viewer. Again, I loved Transformers, but I am no less of a person for liking a movie that you or Bob didn't like. And I pity people who would let a reviewer tell them to not go see a movie. I would rather see 1000 bad movies than miss a single good one.

Okay, something you need to understand. The rules created for shot composition are there for a REASON. They are fluid and they can be fickle but they are there. You can claim to like such-and-such a thing, but with poor shot composition, it's still going to be poorly made.

The rules of story telling and characterization are again, fluid but even more well defined. And the rules of dialogue writing aren't even all that fluid, they are simply there. You can claim to like it again, to use another example I adore and love Army of Darkness, because it's fun on a bun. But it's dialogue is shit and it's characterization is terrible. See there? I admitted a movie I love is poorly made. You can claim to like Transformers 2 and say it's enjoyable but it doesn't change the fact that it is poorly made.

And I would be willing to bet I've seen more movies than you do, and I would never let a critic tell me not to see a movie, but the reason we listen to critics is they've generally studied the craft for most of their lives and know what they're talking about. It's also important to remember that reviews are subjective personal opinion, so people need to not get angry about someone disliking a movie they liked or liking a movie they hated.

Seems my prediction about this film came to pass. I mean I was dissapointed about the recasting of Freddy like anyone who enjoyed the old franchise, Robert Englund is Freddy - but I also saw the value in Jackie Earle Haley taking on the role, Hell, we all knew he has forboding kill-all-and-don't-care presence from his work with Rorschach. Maybe not the humour of Englund's Freddy but it looked like they were taing the franchise and making it dark and scary - I mean maybe that was the right thing to do since Nightmare at times was more of a comedy than a horror, (to me - but maybe I'm not right in the head.) So yeah, I thought he'd be good but the movie would stink. Didn't know Michael Bay was involved in any way, if I did my "preditions" would have been about as impressive as someone predicting the sun would rise in the east but still, I'm content.

I've still got to see this at some point. Maybe wait so I don't have to pay for it though.

Elesar:

wadark:

I'm assuming you didn't bother to read my second post, so I'll say it again because I love to hear myself.....type.

Anyway, I'd like to call bullshit right back. Everything you say about what can make a movie "terrible" is based on a standard that was created by someone. That someone or someones created these standards using their own opinions about what makes a movie good. Like in previous "arts" (painting, sculpting, etc.) these standards shift and change over time. And given the nature of the film business, those standards shift far more rapidly than ever before. Given that, I don't understand how we can have this single set-in-stone standard that defines good and bad.

And even if you can say that a movie is bad based on those standards, that doesn't mean that it's "law" for every viewer. Again, I loved Transformers, but I am no less of a person for liking a movie that you or Bob didn't like. And I pity people who would let a reviewer tell them to not go see a movie. I would rather see 1000 bad movies than miss a single good one.

Okay, something you need to understand. The rules created for shot composition are there for a REASON. They are fluid and they can be fickle but they are there. You can claim to like such-and-such a thing, but with poor shot composition, it's still going to be poorly made.

The rules of story telling and characterization are again, fluid but even more well defined. And the rules of dialogue writing aren't even all that fluid, they are simply there. You can claim to like it again, to use another example I adore and love Army of Darkness, because it's fun on a bun. But it's dialogue is shit and it's characterization is terrible. See there? I admitted a movie I love is poorly made. You can claim to like Transformers 2 and say it's enjoyable but it doesn't change the fact that it is poorly made.

And I would be willing to bet I've seen more movies than you do, and I would never let a critic tell me not to see a movie, but the reason we listen to critics is they've generally studied the craft for most of their lives and know what they're talking about. It's also important to remember that reviews are subjective personal opinion, so people need to not get angry about someone disliking a movie they liked or liking a movie they hated.

I'm not going to debate which of us has seen more movies. Maybe you have, but its irrelevant really. Critics may have studied the craft and know the "rules" but, even so, that doesn't make them the authority on what you will and will not enjoy. And so I say again, anyone who lets a review tell them not to see a movie they wanted to see is a fool.

The rules are there, and I'll admit that you can make a determination about the individual characteristics of a film, but everyone weights those characteristics different.

All I'm really saying is, if you wanted to see a movie, don't let a review dissuade you. You may like it, you may not, but that's the way of the film.

Actually Bay and Halo would probably go together really well, and do quite nicely complimenting each others strengths. But uh, everything else? Ew.

I saw this movie even after seeing this review so I had no expectations... but I just came back and I'll have to say it was actually good Micheal Bay helped make a good movie. I'm going to look outside and make sure the world is not ending. but I didn't find many characters annoying, Jackie Earle Haley did an amazing job that made up for many of the movies flaws, and there were a few creative twists thrown in. I would like to see the dream world taken advantage of better in the future though, in dreams reality doesn't apply who is as lame as these kids when they dream? I can control my dreams so I'm usually flying or living the life of Hugh Hefner when I dream. Still If your a fan you might want to see this.

Micheal Bay should remake The Howling movies or Leprichaun 4; he couldn;t possibly make them worse than they already are.

No ideas on Nightmare but the Watchmen reference gave me an idea. I hope that a movie maker can actually use this. Kick-Ass * Watchmen = ? The answer ... is a movie about heroes that is fun for all to watch but sucker punches you with the conflicting ideas and emotions of said heroes.

Please movie bob I care about a halo movie and it has potential (If they have the arbiter in it) so don't curse it with Michel Bay, please

Firia:
Actually Bay and Halo would probably go together really well, and do quite nicely complimenting each others strengths. But uh, everything else? Ew.

not at all give us Guillermo del toro, or James Camrine (extremely wishful thinking) somebody who knows how to create a compelling world with cool characters. Also those who say theres no story to work with the covenant side of the story is brilliant. The arbiter was such a good character but some stupid halo fans hated him because he simply wasn't master chief

lukemdizzle:

Firia:

not at all give us Guillermo del toro, or James Camrine (extremely wishful thinking) somebody who knows how to create a compelling world with cool characters. Also those who say theres no story to work with the covenant side of the story is brilliant. The arbiter was such a good character but some stupid halo fans hated him because he simply wasn't master chief

To be honest, I haven't played to much Halo. :) Like, the first level of the first game, spotted areas of Halo 2, and a fair bit of Halo 3. I got roped into Co-op at a friends place. The story that I observed was a lot of "hurry up and go," big explosions, shock and awe. Which is the very same school of thought as Bay. :) I'm not saying Bay should only do Halo. Heavens no. I wouldn't want him to destroy another beloved franchise like he did to Transformers. (Lord only knows what he'd do to Master Chiefs iconic look.)

Ideally, Bay would retire, living a meager retirement on mere millions made from summer blockbusters on the backs of CGI explosions. Then we could get a REAL film maker in here. You can have your Halo movie, I can have my... freedom from Bay. :) Or at least a real Optimus Prime... least the voice actor is badass (and THE Optimus).

Random Argument Man:

SkullCap:

GameGoddess101:
Michael Bay doing a Halo movie... much better idea than Peter Jackson doing a Halo movie...

AMEN. We don't want a good director like Jackson to ruin his career. Bay has no talent so lets give it to him.

Actually, a sign of a great director is taking something with a bad premise and manage to make something great out of it.

I can think of 28 days later and Danny Boyle as an example. He kicked-started the zombie trend of the 2000s with fast zombies, infections and focus on survival of the group. He picked something that was over-used and gave it a new twist.

Somehow, I think Peter Jackson could make a good movie out of Halo. At worst, Jackson's movies are so-so. I've never seen a bad Peter Jackson movie. Halo could have a few things out there for a good movie. However, I'm not sure if it's going to change the minds of people saying "Halo sux LALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALALALA".

Excellent point. A good director CAN make a good movie out of a bland plot. I personally don't hate Halo, but the more avid fans drive me crazy. Halo would be impressive in the hands of Peter Jackson. So I'll reconsider my original stance and try to be more optimistic towards the idea of a Halo movie.

*checks watch* just like clockwork it's time for Bob to take potshots at Halo again.

I understand he doesn't like Halo and there's nothing wrong with that. What I don't understand the seeming underlying hatred for it or why (aside from being popular) it's singled out for that. Avatar was (if you'll pardon the yathzee quote) like a painting, pretty to look at but otherwise two-dimensional, and Bob still loved that. So why give Halo so much flak? It had a decent story that didn't get in the way of the fun, unlike some other games I could name.

But whatever, it's not like im trying to change anyone's mind. I just wish he'd find a new whipping boy for a while because it's getting old.

Edit: BTW anyone who thinks putting Bay in charge of a Halo movie is a good idea, you're an idiot. Michael Bay is only good at making anything terrible. Just look at the Transformer movies. If nothing else you might have thought he could get the fighting right. But nope they're two huge piles of FAIL!

Well thats it i am fire bombing HOLLYWOOD too many remakes of old movies and shows and crappy sequels and not enough experimental stuff also guess what their making a crappy live action of something that should never ever be made into a movie and i have an exclusive clip here you go darth vader ep6 fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8kTcKFnAMU

alrighty then ill skip this one!!!
thanks bob!

Halo and Michael Bay would go together nicely.
What a shame that Hailey is caught in the middle of all this. I mean, his Rorschach was my favorite performance in a movie in 2009.

Awexsome:
Eh, have him go make a Half-life movie before a Halo movie.

They already made that movie, it's called "The Arrival".

All remakes have a 99.8% chance of sucking. This is no exception.

Please, stop raping my childhood memories Hollywood. PLEASE.

Bob, you strike me as odd. I've been reading SF Bay Area reviews my whole life and I don't think our personal Ebert has ever spoken to me the way you do. It's enthralling. Kind of epic. The kind of impartation of knowledge that someone who truly understands the things that I like can possibly get across without the ultra-geek, film dork that you are AND YET doesnt' let hinder their enjoyment of the big BOOM.

I say you're odd because NONE of the Micheal Bay (which for movies has become the next N-word) remakes have been anything but mindless recreatons of already mindless movies. Friday the 13th. Nightmare on Elm Street. These are movies that...honestly...were stumbled upon classics. Someone (actors, directors, producers) decided to say "F*$K it!" and run with a ridiculous premise WITHOUT KNOWING what they had.

I put John Carpenter at the top of the list, in a very close fight with Sam Raimi, over who has the BEST horror. Any ground given by one, immediately is gained by Barker and Craven. The point is THIS Freddy flick lacks for the same reason you put a well-deserved bubble around, who plays Freddy. Robert Englund played the best killer because THERE WAS NOTHING TO LOSE. He played the character that was closest to the Thing but needed, NEEDED to hold the human component the way the Thing, Jason, and Myers did. Big difference being: Freddy had f^&king style.

If Jackie Earle Haley had played the FIRST Freddy, HE would've been in "Jack Brooks, Monster Hunter", The Mangler, and all of the other straight-to-video flicks that only Englund could've POSSIBLY could've played in.

If a movie was made about shit (fecal matter), if Englund was the layer of that turd, I'd watch it 'cause you know someone is gonna die in a really cool, awesome, Lovecraftian way, and I'd be right!!!

Timing. Timing is what's missing here with these flicks. New horror has to contend with movies creating gore to the degree that actual serial killers are wonder what THEY did wrong. Friday the 13th sucked because son of Vanilla Ice was in it. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was good because it stayed close to the original content of gore AND added succesfully a human element (yeah it was thin, but they're ALL thin). This flick lacked a LOT of Freddy, and so, I agree withyour assessment of the movie overall.

BUT...

Despite Bay's massive suckage (I grew up with the Transformers and my tuchus will never be the same after THAT cinematic rape job)m it wasn't THAT bad. As long as there are douchebags who thing 'splosions are the s&*t, there will be a guy taking those folks for their money. And they deserve it.

Oh WAIT!!! The OTHER reason why I think you're odd!

Because you said, "GI Joe was the best BOND flick in the past (whatever many) years."

Dude...I still haven't seen it yet...but...dude...

MovieBob:

This week MovieBob reviews A Nightmare on Elm Street...if he can stay awake long enough.

I just got back from seeing this movie, and Bob, you couldn't be more wrong in most of your points.

1. Yes Jackie is awesome, nothing more needs to be said.

2. You're first point was that they cop-out on the "Did he or didn't he" angle, which is false. A cop-out is
1. A failure to fulfill a commitment or responsibility or to face a difficulty squarely.
2. A person who fails to fulfill a commitment or responsibility.
3. An excuse for inaction or evasion.

and they don't cop out because they actually reveal the answer to the question later in the movie. I don't see how that qualifies as a cop-out.

3. You claimed that 4 people died the exact same way in the movie, which is also false...

4. Freddy isn't scary. Okay, fine, I agree, I wasn't scared through the whole movie even with it's abundant use of the jump scare. But do you think that's maybe because someone like you or me has seen enough horror movies to not find them scary. The ironic thing is that two of the only movies to ever legit scare me were in this franchise. Just because you don't think he's scary doesn't mean someone else won't.

5. Mortal Combat on the SNES has more blood?....now you're just flat out lying. This had plenty of blood, even without a redone "bed scene".

It's not like your opinion being untrustworthy ruins my life or anything, it's just that when a review has this many gross inaccuracies people will take at face value it's unsettling. I felt as though I needed to set the record straight.

I'm not saying you're wrong in thinking the movie sucked, that's your opinion, you're entitled to it and all of that, but at least give better reasons for why you didn't like it. If you ask me, was it good? Yes. Was it as good/better than the original? No, not completely. Some parts were better, some were slightly below par, but overall it ranks up there with the best in the series.

Vrex360:
snip

I think you need to check out the new South Park episode about the Catcher and the Rye, because you read way too deeply into stuff.

Truth is you can overthink anything, check out Bob's Overthinker show where he'll spend an entire episode explaining how playing a Mario game can unlock the secrets of life and proving to everyone how much of a nutsoid Mario fanboy he really is...lol

I'm sorry, but Halo has no depth except the shit you make up in your own head. Every time I've heard the argument brought up of how dumb Halo is someone always brings up how the books make up for it, and the problem with this picture here is this is suppose to excuse how dumb the games are.

You know if I wanted a smart version of Halo, I'd go with Mass Effect, all Halo has is a pretty above average FPS gameplay which should be expected considering the cost that goes into it.

Gears at leasts tries to have fun with itself even though having an angsty moment here and there. Halo on the other hand is full of itself and pretentious, a shooter that takes itself way too seriously when all you're doing is running around with fisher price toys for guns shooting pink death beams at retarded ewoks and Jar Jar Binks sounding aliens...0o

What really pisses me off about this series is how serious the fans are about it, every time someone brings up criticism the fans go nuts as if though the series is above it, and that's some pretension bull I want nothing to do with...>>

orangeapples:
And get off of that high-horse you seem to be so happy about. Story can only take a game so far. One of the best games ever made is Super Mario Bros. 3. You know the story there? Save the princess.
Why? because. Who cares. just save her. Admit it, you didn't even care about the story because the game is fun to play.

Not to be "that guy," but... Technically, the STORY of Super Mario Bros. 3 was that Bowser has conquered seven kingdoms by turning each of their respective kings into animals and installing his kids as despots; and you have to liberate each kingdom and restore each king to their true form. Princess Peach is basically your Oracle/Otacon figure for most of the game, apparently "directing" the missions and sending you letters and gear at the end of each level. She only gets kidnapped as a surprise right before the last level.

People forget that this was technically only the SECOND time in the "continuity" that Peach had been kidnapped (Japanese SMB1 aka "Lost Levels" is usually framed more as a continuation or "hard mode" of SMB1 rather than an out-and-out sequel) so "she always gets kidnapped" hadn't yet become a running-gag.

Here's the formula for ruining a perfectly good horror movie by remaking it:

First you need the plot of the original movie. In this case, a child murderer (Freddy) doesn't go to jail because of a technicality, so the parents of the children (not the parents of the dead children, problem there) vigilante his ass. Years later, he comes back in dreams to get the children. Freddy is a bad guy. Let the slashing commence.

Next you need to reinvent it. Reinventing the story always makes it more complex. In this case, Freddy is a supposed child molester(the change from murder doesn't mean much). Freddy might be the bad guy. Let the slashing commence?

Finally, produce and release the movie without thinking about plot holes or audience reaction to the changes. It'll make money anyway, so who cares?

I really don't tell you what happens here but my train of thought leads to a logical conclusion. Yes I said logical conclusion but slasher films used to never make you want to think logically.

Shame this movie isn't any better, I was actually a little interested in it.

For some reason I laughed my ass off whenever I glimpsed at the Haley bubble.

If he does a Halo movie it would be the same as his Transformers movies extremely over rated and poorly directed crum buckets that will make an insane amount of money because the primary audience can't distinguish between abominations and art...

Oh yeah.. Iron Man 2 isnt out in America yet.

Owned, cos it was AWESOME! And I saw the new Tron: Legacy trailer.
A day of pure Nerdgasm

Nomanslander:

I think you need to check out the new South Park episode about the Catcher and the Rye, because you read way too deeply into stuff.

Perhaps I do. But hey, I am a fan. A fan's duty is to get at least somewhat involved with whatever he or she is a fan of, do you not agree.
Perhaps also, you simply read too little into stuff.

Truth is you can overthink anything, check out Bob's Overthinker show where he'll spend an entire episode explaining how playing a Mario game can unlock the secrets of life and proving to everyone how much of a nutsoid Mario fanboy he really is...lol

Overthinking has nothing to do with it. Fact is, maybe Bob saw something in Mario that the rest didn't. Maybe it was just his own interpretation of the game and that's his right. He isn't 'wrong' nore 'right' and you are not 'right' nor 'wrong' to refute his opinions. You have the right to disagree but that's about it.

I'm sorry, but Halo has no depth except the shit you make up in your own head.

So, I guess I just imagined that Halo 2 featured the Arbiter in an attempt to humanise the Covenant, something few other Sci Fi FPS's do with their alien enemies. I guess I also imagined that the music was perfectly fitting for all the various themes presented. I guess the book detailing the tragic childhoods of all the Spartans was ALSO my imagination.
Whether or not you liked said story, the seeds for an interesting plot were certainly present and it was clear wherever you looked, it was my interpretation of it, further more I was not the only one who saw it that way. Plenty of others did and they are not 'wrong' to percieve it like that.

Every time I've heard the argument brought up of how dumb Halo is

Something that comes up WAY too often for the people making said argument to still claim that they are the mature party, just saying.

...someone always brings up how the books make up for it, and the problem with this picture here is this is suppose to excuse how dumb the games are.

Yes, the games themselves are the weakest entry in the canon. I don't deny this, but then it's an ACTION game. Hence it can't dwell on story for two long or else people get fed up, it had to find the right balance which if you ask me it achieved.
It's worth remembering however that the books are STILL PART OF THE CANON and any Halo movie would not be about the game itself but ABOUT THE CANON OF THE UNIVERSE IN QUESTION. Which reflects that the universe itself is not 'dumb' and is well and truly worthy of attention.

You know if I wanted a smart version of Halo, I'd go with Mass Effect, all Halo has is a pretty above average FPS gameplay which should be expected considering the cost that goes into it.

Apart from them both being science fiction I really see little connection. Also, Halo is given lavishly huge budgets per each game's release.

Gears at leasts tries to have fun with itself even though having an angsty moment here and there. Halo on the other hand is full of itself and pretentious, a shooter that takes itself way too seriously when all you're doing is running around with fisher price toys for guns shooting pink death beams at retarded ewoks and Jar Jar Binks sounding aliens...0o

Actually I never said that Halo didn't take the piss out of itself a few times, the Grunts are an example of the series having a light hearted tone. It's not always serious but it's not satire either, it's self aware and I like that. What's more the visuals are bright and colorful which stands out against gunmetal grey.
Plus, as I said before, in Halo 2 you play AS the aliens, namely the elites, which do not sound like Jar Jar Binks.
By the way, say what you will about the design of the guns, but
A. an alien gun should look different to the human guns and if it has to be bright and colourful, so be it.
B. Halo: Reach is coming and so are hyper detailed and much more weapon looking weapons to add to the fray.

What really pisses me off about this series is how serious the fans are about it,

Like Halo is the only series in modern history where the fans have gotten serious about it. People like stuff, they like it a lot. Let them, for god's sake, let them.

every time someone brings up criticism

Is that what they call 'trolling' these days? Seriously every time I've heard someone calmly say they don't like Halo and give a reason why, Halo fans let it go. But people just have to be pricks about it and hence the Halo fans get pissed off.

the fans go nuts as if though the series is above it

The series is most certainly NOT above criticism, Halo 1 had some serious repetition problems, Halo 2 had poorly rendered cinematics and an anticlimactic ending and Halo 3's campaign was very short.
I acknowledge that the series has faults, as do all fans. That doesn't bother me, however because I still like the games, as a whole.

[quote], and that's some pretension bull I want nothing to do with...>>

If you want nothing to do with it, a very simple solution is to just not mention that you hate it every opportunity you get. If you don't want fans to get in your face, stop saying stuff that'll offend them. Like say... when a trailer for the Reach Beta comes up, don't make a thread devoted to bashing it, because then you get negative feedback.
Also, as a general rule of thumb, aggressive ragging on of stuff people like makes them mad and once again Halo is not alone in this regard.

Okay, that went a little too far. Sorry, didn't mean to bring that up. In any case, despite how I may have sounded, I do not actually have problems with you disliking Halo. Plenty of my closest friends don't like Halo, hell one of them is a crazed Sony lover so you better believe he hates Halo. But I don't let it bother me because they don't get into my face about it. However when someone makes a smart ass comment like you made, naturally I reply.

So, look I don't want to do this anymore. I doubt I've convinced you of anything, but I now realise I probably wasn't intending to. Just to explain my position in this whole whing and why I personally see things a different way.
You obviously see things another way and by all means, you aren't wrong, just as I am not wrong. Neither of us can be wrong because this is a battle of opinions.
So yeah, I apologise if any of this seemed obnoxious, truth be told I can get a little carried away with these sometimes so hopefully we can move on let this argument end here with a simple:

'Agree to disagree'.

They should've got Wes Craven in to supervise, like they did with Last House On The Left, that was a remake I personally enjoyed because of the touch of Craven.

Also, STOP FUCKING ARGUING ABOUT HALO, enjoyment is subjective, some people liked Halo, some people didn't, can't we leave each other alone!?

Instead of ruining the halo movie, why can't michael bay come up with some thing original? You know come up with a story of he's own to ruin?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here