Reliable Source: Guns Donít Kill People, Violent Videogames Do

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Naeo:

Kalezian:
technically, guns nor video games kill people, people that have guns and possibly have been drinking kill people.

beyond that, why not just set up a bear trap outside your door, next to it put a sign saying "bear trap is to keep bear inside apartment only!", that would screw with some would be thieves!

I'm gonna quibble on this and say it's actually bullets that kill people, not guns or people with guns.

And I'm gonna quibble on this, unless the bullets hit the head, bullets don't kill people. (it's just an assisted natural death, them bleeding out and such)

This is a joke.

You used to write entertaining articles for this website, but lately all you do is air out your dirty laundry with a thinly veiled connection to gaming.

I think I'll refrain from clicking your links from now on.

Amazing article, really entertaining and full of witt. Keep it up, the fiction you pull off is just superb.

That was a great read.

Hilarious yet again - I missed it last week!

Marion Cox:

Epoetker:

Your articles have gotten so fun to read that it looks like your editors don't even check them for typos anymore:P

That's because Tito is busy on his own manuscript, that focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of a cute penguin lost in New York, a decrepit tabby who formulate and executes a plan to kill a hated, unscrupulous band of pigeons who are hoarding all the food in their alley, thereby controlling the precious bread crumb supply near the hotdog stands.

....I would read it.......

but only if the tabby's name was Mr. Fluffles von Opal Nacht and the penguin had a Brooklyn accent.

So much ridiculous stuff has been in these articles that I really don't know how much is true and how much is false. The title of the article series would lead me to believe its all bull but I keep thinking it must all be true because you can't lie on the internet, you'll get banned.

Crazy father is crazy, do not arm.

This article was link-tastic. Reminds me of the news.

Naeo:

Kalezian:
technically, guns nor video games kill people, people that have guns and possibly have been drinking kill people.

beyond that, why not just set up a bear trap outside your door, next to it put a sign saying "bear trap is to keep bear inside apartment only!", that would screw with some would be thieves!

I'm gonna quibble on this and say it's actually bullets that kill people, not guns or people with guns.

Well then I'm going to quibble with this and say it's actually blood loss and trauma that kill people, not guns, people with guns, nor bullets.

I'm all for a gun for home defence. Biggest thing is make sure its properly secured for exactly that reason.... Well I don't think you can assume that dad will try to kill you comming through the door, but the reasoning stands anyways

Jaredin:
AK-47...for all your defense needs lol

Gene-pool cleansing too!

*dons a bad moustache and an even worse accent.*

I have come to clean ze pool. With fire.

Yeah, Guns don't kill people, CRAZY people WITH guns kill people. Seriously, what does this have to do with videogamges? Less about them and more about crazy people with mental instability, in which case I must ask, why would you give said person a firearm? Secondly, again, what does that have to do with videogames exactly?

I remember a big fat commie that exploded and attracted other reds by the spray of his guts. War is hell, son, and a shotgun might be your only friend."

So just like insects commies are attracted by the smell of there dead?, You learn something new everyday!.

Zombunist vs Zombine!

Marion Cox:
Reliable Source: Guns Don't Kill People, Violent Videogames Do

Marion learns why games, guns, and crazy dads don't mix.

Read Full Article

"Due to the draconic 24 hour waiting period, I couldn't bring it home with me that day."

I am sorry, but I am going to have to call BS on this one. You need a Firearm Owners Identification Document- or FOID for short- to own a gun in Illinois, period, no exceptions. It takes roughly 30 days or more to get one.

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/09/17/illinois-state-police-unlawfully-delaying-firearms-owner-identification-foid-cards/

FYI, learnaboutguns.com is great in general for gun info.

Anyways, assuming you had never owned a gun before, you probably didn't have one, in which case, the wait for a FOID would far outstrip the actual waiting period to buy a gun. And of course, you would need a FOID before you could even *have* a gun at all.

Buying, selling, giving, loaning, or *possessing* a firearm without a FOID is a felony. In other words, it would have been a felony for him to give you a "loaner." Unless you had a FOID, which you probably didn't have if you never owned a gun before.

RelexCryo:

Marion Cox:
Reliable Source: Guns Don't Kill People, Violent Videogames Do

Marion learns why games, guns, and crazy dads don't mix.

Read Full Article

"Due to the draconic 24 hour waiting period, I couldn't bring it home with me that day."

I am sorry, but I am going to have to call BS on this one. You need a Firearm Owners Identification Document- or FOID for short- to own a gun in Illinois, period, no exceptions. It takes roughly 30 days or more to get one.

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/09/17/illinois-state-police-unlawfully-delaying-firearms-owner-identification-foid-cards/

FYI, learnaboutguns.com is great in general for gun info.

Anyways, assuming you had never owned a gun before, you probably didn't have one, in which case, the wait for a FOID would far outstrip the actual waiting period to buy a gun. And of course, you would need a FOID before you could even *have* a gun at all.

Buying, selling, giving, loaning, or *possessing* a firearm without a FOID is a felony. In other words, it would have been a felony for him to give you a "loaner." Unless you had a FOID, which you probably didn't have if you never owned a gun before.

Yeah it BS. Cops would have been there in minutes.

That's BS to have to wait up to 30 days to buy a gun. Typical northern liberal commie state. Thank God I don't live there.

Hopefully the 2nd amendment gets incorporated so Illinois citizens can sue the hell out of those corrupted liberal politicians and get back their community from criminals.

I also wanted to add that gunshop don't loan firearms outside their property. They do loan firearms but only for use in their shooting range. You have to paid in full before leaving their property with a firearm.

It is true that most gunshop owners/clerks are jerks but they are far from racist. The vast majority of them are ex/current military or police officers and of different races.

There are quit a number of minority gun owners and that segment is growing at a rapid pace. For example: Ichiro Nagata a US Japanese American citizen teaching other Japanese how to shoot in his Texas ranch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Zaz28WE9M

Remember cops aren't bodyguards. You can't sue cops for failure to protect. In fact they don't have any obligation to protect you. They are there to maintain the general peace and enforce the law. Your own safety is by SCOTUS ruling in your own hands.

Marion Cox can be followed on Twitter, or if you prefer more traditional stalking methods, you can find him passed out drunk in The Public Library of Springfield every afternoon between 2 and 5pm.

I've been there three times this week! Which corner >.>

SnipErlite:
May I quote?

"The National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do," but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that." - Eddie Izzard

Also that was a great Reliable Source, the cleetus/banjo line cracked me up.

You can also run away from someone wielding a bat or a chair.

Hehe, another interesting work of fiction..... but I didn't grasp why a gun was the answer, and not locking up properly.... it's not like they broke in while you were at home, so why the weapon?

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll.

benoitowns:
If guns kill people, then its my 360 controller's fault Im not better at MW2.

AMEN.

OT: Great article, i love your style of writing, Marion. I read every column without fail

JonahNYC:

SnipErlite:
May I quote?

"The National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do," but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that." - Eddie Izzard

Explain this to me: How does banning guns keep them out of the hands of criminals? Banning alchohol didn't work. Banning drugs hasn't worked. So how does banning guns keep them out of the hands of criminals? Gun control doesn't even increase the time criminals spend in jail, thanks to a practice called concurrent sentences. And if you did want to increase the amount of time criminals spend in jail, you could just increase the sentence for Armed robbery, assault, and murder, and get the same effect. Morever, you could combine that effect with the reduction in crime that comes from letting law abiding, sane adults own and carry guns.

In 2000, Michigan passed laws allowing citizens to carry guns in every city. the crime rate immediately fell, and it continued to get lower.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/micrime.htm

The Brady Campaign graded New England on gun control, awarding a high ranking to states that had lots of gun control, and a low ranking to states that had little gun control. But the actual crime rates were almost a total inversion of the rankings the Brady Campaign gave. Essentially, the states with the highest ranking had the worst crime.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=195&issue=011

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2010/02/26/bang-bang-youre-safe.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Wizbang+%28Wizbang%29

lastly, the crime rate for the United States actually got lower after 2000- It got lower *despite* the recession- as more states let law abiding, sane adults own and carry guns. In 2008, the crime rate hit the lowest it had been in 28 years.

I agree with Liberals on many, many things. I support gay marriage, clean renewbale energy, throwing corrupt corporate executives in prison, and legalizing marijuana. But I don't support gun bans, as the math simply has not supported it.

Aww, don't you hate those commies that you gotta spin around and shoot in the back?

So......does this stuff really happen to you? Between partially psychotic fathers and con artists dating your sister I get lost in the joke.....or not?

Seems alot of weird shit happens to you...

Also, you should have gotten a beretta cx4 storm, thos things are badass

Primus1985:
It is hard to make out what may or maynot be true. However my Xbox has been stolen twice this year, my last replacement not a month ago. Unfortunitly after dropping $433 on my new system I couldnt possibly replace it after it got stolen ten days after I got it.(Not all of us have cushy Jobs for a gaming magazine)

I feel your pain, it blows. And theives are too smart to pawn it now so its just sitting somewhere probably not being played(Didnt take any games, dummies my games where in a drawer right below) I payed 433 dollars for my Xbox to sit somewhere.

But guns are not the answer, I carry a Mace gun(when I say gun yes its a gun that shoots mace) but thats just mace. Mace would only be lethal if I sprayed it up someones nose. You wanna protect your home? Cameras. Cameras everywhere, and not just that special alarms that go off if someone tried to take it. Go to your nearest security store, or somewhere that sells survelience.

Camera's are a good idea, but they don't actively prevent stuff like the couple with all the kids that got killed with tons of video footage.
Sure the camera's helped catch the guys, but they didn't save anyone's life that time.
Mace isn't the answer either, isn't going to help if a crazy attacks, and pepper spray is better than mace anyway
Mace is classified as an irritant and is similar to tear gas.
Pepper spray is classified as an inflammatory agent and will immediately
incapacitate an assailant.
Commonly, Mace has no affect on criminals under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Pepper spray will take down and cause temporary pain to those under the influence.
Unlike pepper spray, Mace will NOT cause inflammation of the capillaries of the eyes and skin causing temporary blindness, nausea, breathing difficulties and an intense burning sensation.

Might want to switch buddy.

JonahNYC:

SnipErlite:
May I quote?

What if they can run faster than you?

JDun:

That's BS to have to wait up to 30 days to buy a gun. Typical northern liberal commie state. Thank God I don't live there.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

As someone who DOES live here, it is only ~30 days to get your FOID, which is good for 10 years. Once you have it, the standard waiting period applies, and the system is set up in such a way that the seller calls the number and gets an "approved," normally while I'm finishing up the paperwork. Additionally, south if I-80 IL becomes markedly less liberal, and in general communism is pretty damned rare in the US. Just saying.

Instead of "draconic" did you mean "draconian"? I'm sure dragons wouldn't be too fond of guns either... But I'm pretty sure you meant that the law is harsh, as it was in Greece around the time Draco was writing the laws.

geek.flip:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

As someone who DOES live here, it is only ~30 days to get your FOID, which is good for 10 years. Once you have it, the standard waiting period applies, and the system is set up in such a way that the seller calls the number and gets an "approved," normally while I'm finishing up the paperwork. Additionally, south if I-80 IL becomes markedly less liberal, and in general communism is pretty damned rare in the US. Just saying.

Please read this article. I said it took *roughly* 30 days, and possibly more, because of the above article.

Kalezian:

OMG! I am TOTALLY making that sign.

Great story as always

I didn't know there were Boomers in the Korean War. You learn something new every day...

EDIT: OK, I didn't read the second page before I posted. My bad. I swear I'm not Cold Storage.

slopeslider:

Primus1985:
It is hard to make out what may or maynot be true. However my Xbox has been stolen twice this year, my last replacement not a month ago. Unfortunitly after dropping $433 on my new system I couldnt possibly replace it after it got stolen ten days after I got it.(Not all of us have cushy Jobs for a gaming magazine)

I feel your pain, it blows. And theives are too smart to pawn it now so its just sitting somewhere probably not being played(Didnt take any games, dummies my games where in a drawer right below) I payed 433 dollars for my Xbox to sit somewhere.

But guns are not the answer, I carry a Mace gun(when I say gun yes its a gun that shoots mace) but thats just mace. Mace would only be lethal if I sprayed it up someones nose. You wanna protect your home? Cameras. Cameras everywhere, and not just that special alarms that go off if someone tried to take it. Go to your nearest security store, or somewhere that sells survelience.

Camera's are a good idea, but they don't actively prevent stuff like the couple with all the kids that got killed with tons of video footage.
Sure the camera's helped catch the guys, but they didn't save anyone's life that time.
Mace isn't the answer either, isn't going to help if a crazy attacks, and pepper spray is better than mace anyway
Commonly, Mace has no affect on criminals under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Pepper spray will take down and cause temporary pain to those under the influence.
Unlike pepper spray, Mace will NOT cause inflammation of the capillaries of the eyes and skin causing temporary blindness, nausea, breathing difficulties and an intense burning sensation.

I also wanted to add that you can immune yourself to an extent from mace and pepper spay by applying small dose at regular interval. Some people are not effect by mace or pepper spay.

Camera doesn't nothing other than to watch you be a crime victim.

Taser can be block by heavy clothing and some people have a good resistance to it.

Here is a video of a 89 elderly woman that refused to be a victim of a crime. The criminal broke into her home and she start shooting. That's how you stop them.
http://rpginn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1202&Itemid=1

slopeslider:

Dude you have that totally backward.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook