Stolen Pixels #191: Max Blame, Part 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #191: Max Blame, Part 2

Max continues searching for an answer to "are games art?" by meeting with one developer with a bit more ambition than is healthy.

Read Full Article

He would say a can of ravioli is a trip to Italy.

But he loves his job, doesn't he?

That said, I had a better time with Fable 2 than most people. It was my RPG of the year 2008. Fuck Fallout 3. I liked Fallout 3. But I loved Fable 2. I loved the world, the broken combat, because, while indeed broken, it was...fun. Using Time Control to teleport behind an enemy and slash him in the back never got old for me. Fable 1 had really clunky combat, with EXTREMELY slow MP regeneration.

Perhaps because I had NO expectations for it, I enjoyed every little detail. Every time Big Pete opened his mouth, I didn't listen. Although, I agree. The plot will suck in Fable 3. Just like it did in 1 and 2. But the writing...it's gonna be top notch.

And the humor is spot on in Fable 2. Did you read the item descriptions?

Besides, it's got this guy:

John Cleese. As your butler. Pretty much perfect casting.

haha, i love these! I can't help but read the comic in Max's voice. Awesome.

good stuff, loving the noir/max payne style going on. "Big Pete Molyneux. Supposedly the most dangerous man in gaming." True Dat.

I have to say Shamus, these Max Blame comics have been your best Stolen Pixels so far, both excellent, keep up the good work.

lmao, I am loving the Max Payne Art Noir feel recently, very nice

This reminds me why I don't dive to deep into games before I play them, I guarantee that you will have a better time with a game if you just know whether or not it's good than having followed every detail released on it.

Peter Molyneux is like the mad scientist who uses his powers for awesome.

Sure, there's a few plot-devastating holes and a few stitched together extra limbs but in general, they work. And there's the maniacal cackling of changing the world forever, but you can't make an omelette without flash-frying innocent bird babies.

I actually liked Fable 2. And Fable 1 for that matter, which everyone seemed to start to love after Fable 2 came out for some reason...

But I liked them because I didn't listen to any of the hype. And I'm doing the same for Fable 3.

Fable 2 was actually pretty fun. Its just the main plot was so awful I want to strange the writer.

But everything else was just amazing... the world, the fantastic dark humor, the amazing and funny side quests... all were just fantastic.

I loved the representation of Molyneux, and to insert his personality in Vladimir Lem of all people. Stolen pixels at its finest!

That was spot on and funny too.

Ha!

I just realized something. I haven't played Max Payne in years, but i recognize the actor who's playing Vlad - Marko, the lead singer of Poets of the Fall! People might remember the Poets getting a bit of fame when they wrote and performed Late Goodbye for Max Payne 2, based on a poem from the writer Sam Lake, who are friends with the Poets, and played Max in the first game!

I love Max Payne, and i love Poets of the Fall. Quite an awesome epiphany just then!

Is it too late to have Shamus write the dialogue for Max Payne 3?

Awesome comic Shamus! It's a wacky and inspired idea mixing Max Payne and Peter Molyneux. I just hope Max finds the answers he's looking for.

Quite amusing! Look forward to the rest of the series. I'm a huge max payne fan, mostly of #1, didn't like too much what they did with #2. All the same, great stuff Shamus.

The best line is "And it's going to be an exclusive... On every platform."

Onyx Oblivion:
Besides, it's got this guy:

John Cleese. As your butler. Pretty much perfect casting.

Screw that, it's going to have this guy:
He's Charlie Brooker. And he's right about everything.

So, I heard from a reliable source that Molyneux was making a new console exclusive...
ON EVERY PLATFORM?!

Shamus Young

Never ever in my life did I agree with you more than now regarding your Stolen Pixels. I find it awesome that your opinion of this outspoken man is the same as mines, I believe he is an enthusiastic devoleper and yes, he over-hypes his game, but he shows more modesty lately.

Even when the hype might kills his game, it doesn't take it away that his games remain rather 'innovative' and certainly Unique. I love his games and the atmosphere it breathes out.

The pixel is definitly showing how he is.

I have to say, I'd take overly optimistic Molyneux making big promises that he can't quite live up to yet still manages to make an at least interesting game then someone who always takes the safe route.

Better graphics than MGS 4 and it runs on the Wii.

Lol, the day that happens...

Onyx Oblivion:
He would say a can of ravioli is a trip to Italy.

But he loves his job, doesn't he?

He'd do more than that - he'd believe it was a trip to Italy.

Shamus:

His games often irritate me to the point of hostility, but the truth is that I'd rather see another mad scientist experiment from Molyneux than another generic carbon-copy God of War / Gears of War / World of Warcraft clone.

Very true - he at least tries and wants to advance the medium; even when he fails, he's at least making the effort not to crap out carbon copies of whatever's hot at the moment like most other studio's.

We need more people like Peter Molyneux. I don't know if I like his games or not, since I need to get around to trying one or two...but his enthusiasm is what the games industry should require. Not these ones who are more worried about their wallets. Leave those at home.

Its funny 'cause its totally true.

I rate that stolen pixels 5/5

Awesome, please continue the MAX PAYNE comix!

I love this comic.

I loved the Gordian knot line.
It could have come right out of Max Payne.

is it bad that I read Max's interior monologue in Rorschach's voice?

Nice strip.

OT: Games are not Art.

Neither is film, books, or the pieces of shit (oops meant canvas) that some 3yo has spilled different colours of paint on.

Games (and everything else not related to reality) are what I use to forget myself and my troubles for an hour or several.

Anoctris:
Nice strip.

Neither is film, books, or the pieces of shit (oops meant canvas) that some 3yo has spilled different colours of paint on.

Games (and everything else not related to reality) are what I use to forget myself and my troubles for an hour or several.

You cannot define what is art and what is not even though you may believe that. Art is subjective, what is art to one man is not to another. Though you may not believe that books, flim, painting or games are art other people do. Its your opinion, not fact so do not present it as such.

OT: Molyneux sold me on Fable 3 when he announced the casting

DividedUnity:

Anoctris:
Nice strip.

You cannot define what is art and what is not even though you may believe that. Art is subjective, what is art to one man is not to another. Though you may not believe that books, flim, painting or games are art other people do. Its your opinion, not fact so do not present it as such.

Then you'd best follow me around the forums, applying the '*This Man's opinion is not fact.' caveat to my posts.

Anoctris:

DividedUnity:

Anoctris:
Nice strip.

Then you'd best follow me around the forums, applying the '*This Man's opinion is not fact.' caveat to my posts.

Why? If it was evident from your post that you were stating opinion by saying "I dont consider books, films or games to be art" instead of "Games books and films aren't art" then you wouldnt look like a tool trying to define what cannot be defined.

Man, you're bang on the mark for Peter Molyneux. He's like some kind of damned drug dealer. I'm probably going to buy Fable 3, and enjoy it the first time through, and sorely regret my purchase in each additional playthrough, because that's just how the big Pete rolls.

DividedUnity:

Anoctris:

DividedUnity:

Anoctris:
Nice strip.

Why? If it was evident from your post that you were stating opinion by saying "I dont consider books, films or games to be art" instead of "Games books and films aren't art" then you wouldnt look like a tool trying to define what cannot be defined.

Then why the fuck did you bother to correct me in the first place?

I made a statement, no more, no less. You disagree with it. That's nice. Now move the fuck on. I'm sure there are plenty of other Escapists who haven't been corrected by you today.

rolf that was genius!

Hahaha, it's awesome. I imagine that with Max's voice... and Vlad's too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here