id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

id Software gives The Escapist a first-look at their forthcoming shooter, Rage.

Read Full Article

I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"

Kalezian:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"

Hehe, you could make a drinking game out of it :P

OT: Looks interesting. I'll have to look into it though before I buy. I don't want to buy it, end up not liking it, and rage.

I can't wait for it. ID does what 3D Realms don't.

Were you there with GamesRadar? They JUST posted a preview of the game a few minutes ago, too.

Kalezian:

Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...

Meh why do I get the feeling its going to be alot of art direction and little game design.............

Suki the Cat:

Kalezian:

Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...

Hell, these little things are all the same. That's why TV Tropes exists.

We can't have complete originality, no matter how hard we try.

It looks good but the comparison to Fallout 3 is obvious. You start off in a Vault ARK and you have to wander around a post-apocalyptic DC wasteland and fight super mutants and fight The Enclave Authority.

To be honest I'm looking forward to this as it looks good and more open world FPS's is not a bad thing in my book but I just feel like they're not really pushing out the boat setting or story wise which is a shame. Then again no one can really complain much beyond that before playing the game which could be nothing like Fallout.

Kalezian:

If its fallout without the constant pauses, with tight controls and shooting, I could be happy.

Id also prefer more "Mad Max" than fall out.

I feel horrible for saying this.

But whether or not I buy this game rests entirely on what DRM Id do or preferrably don't plug into it. I'm excited about the game, it's an Id shooter, but it sucks that whether or not I'm going to buy is decided by things completely unrelated to the gameplay.

On the other hand, new Id shooter #slobber#

Kalezian:

I know what you mean. But if it turns out to be 'Fallout 3, but with proper shooting', then it will be a very good thing indeed.

This does look incredible. Can't wait for it...

This is just ripe with rage puns.

Gee, the obvious influence from other post-apocalyptic titles such as Fallout will certainly result in some...

...RAGE.

dohohohoho

Wait, so this is like fallout 3, but with better shooting mechanics, graphics, and hopefully dialogue animations? I'm sold.

Kalezian:

I am extremely excited for this game, and have been for a long time! That being said, hearing this interview...all I could think was "Fallout 3?". lol.

ciortas1:
Wait, so this is like fallout 3, but with better shooting mechanics, graphics, and hopefully dialogue animations? I'm sold.

It does appear that way...although it has to be seen if it will live up to the name.

Still promising though

Suki the Cat:

Kalezian:

I don't agree with this. ID is being very very boring with this and inventing a good setting has never been their forte. This is just a FPS Fallout 3 as I see it and no kudos to ID for making it.

It can be a good shooter yes, but in the end, originality-wise: 0/10 ID.

Why not take an original template? Cells shooting through the human body trying to cure an illness or something. Anything would have been better than the Fallout3-setting*2.
No, not everything, WWII would have been worse, and maybe man-fights-aliens as well.

Kalezian:

To be fair, this paragraph:

"Your ARK is damaged, and you are the only survivor." when you emerge into this world, it is something that no one expected. More people survived the impact than anyone thought, society has tried to rebuild itself, there are mutants, and there's bandits and there's this omnipresent force that we call The Authority. At some point in the game, you will ultimately battle against this Authority."

They're not exactly trying very hard to deviate themselves from the Fallout universe (actually, it sounds more like the plots of Fallout 1 & 2 mashed up more than it does Fallout 3).

Don't get me wrong, I love id games. Doom 3 is still one of the games I play when I want to play a straight-up shooter. And I would love nothing more than to see id release another great game. But post- or Semi-apocalyptic games involving mutants/aliens/both, one or more evil psuedo-governments, and society trying to get on with life, are pretty much dime-a-dozen these days.

Fallout (universe), Borderlands, World in Conflict, Starcraft. If id want to create something genre-defying like they did with DOOM, they're going to have to come up with something that doesn't make me want to re-install that Fallout .WAD I found once.

That's your problem then, Dodgy.

Rage looks interesting to me. Better than Fallout 3 in my eyes. I'm curious about how the geography is going to be looking like, since I've seen their videos on the geography making mechanics they used.

Dodgy:

Suki the Cat:

Kalezian:

I don't agree with this. ID is being very very boring with this and inventing a good setting has never been their forte. This is just a FPS Fallout 3 as I see it and no kudos to ID for making it.

It can be a good shooter yes, but in the end, originality-wise: 0/10 ID.

Why not take an original template? Cells shooting through the human body trying to cure an illness or something. Anything would have been better than the Fallout3-setting*2.
No, not everything, WWII would have been worse, and maybe man-fights-aliens as well.

Fallout 3 is not the first, nor the last, game to do a post-apocalyptic setting. Yet, few complained about Fallen Earth being like Fallout 3. Becuase they are still good games.

A game doesn't HAVE to be something original and revolutionary to be a good game. People seem to forget this when prejudging a game. Splinter Cell games has been around for quite some time. They do most of their aspects of the game just like it was before, only changes to the storyline. I still enjoy the games a lot, and many others do. It's not something new and never-before-seen, but its good! Its fun! Thats what matters.

And I'm not saying I don't want game companies to be inventive and make new things we have never seen anything like before. I'm just saying it's not a criteria for making a good game =3. I love seeing new and strange game modes.

when is the release?
id is talking about it since doom 3.
also they didnt release anything since then. i'm a little worried.

Kalezian:

Probably cause its eating at you to, what is described there is sounds all very Already been done, and the ark thing to come out into an open world, its just screaming fallout 3.
but i am interested in this cause its id, the gunplay should be pretty good, and crap all over fallout 3's gun play

I don't know about this one. In danger of sounding redundant, the game does look and sound a lot like Fallout 3. I read an article about it a while back and the guy interviewed made a point to differentiate it from Fallout, but it all sounded like they just changed the names and some of the scenery. They even have a quirky TV show host (um, Three-dog anyone?). Even the ARKs. I mean the article here even calls them "Vault-like." At least try to do so something different. So far I haven't heard anything to make Rage standout as anything other than a Fallout clone, which is kind of sad.

Personally I thought Fallout was good but had a lot of room for improvement, and when I heard about Rage, I was hesitantly hopeful. So far though, it just looks like more of the same which is pretty disappointing.

Kalezian:

Unfortunately, it IS. Replace "The Ark" with "Vault". Replace "Wasteland" with "Wasteland". Replace "The Authority" with "The Enclave". Replace... Ah you get the idea.

They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Black Isle's test paper.

However I am now going to keep an eye on this. Because I, like the rest of the world, sometimes enjoy eating the same meal, even if it has a different name.

Russ Pitts:
Russ Pitts has fond memories of having his mind blown by id Software's Doom and Quake. He is optimistic about Rage.

My thoughts exactly! If it's like Borderlands, then there is no doubt my friends and I will spend plenty of time exploring it. But I am really hoping to see a new dawn for id, my most favorite old software company.

olikunmissile:
They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Bethesda's test paper.

However I am now going to keep an eye on this. Because I, like the rest of the world, sometimes enjoy eating the same meal, even if it has a different name.

Yea, at worst it'll probably be the same great meal cooked by a different great chef.

So... it's just s.t.a.l.k.e.r....

olikunmissile:

Kalezian:

Unfortunately, it IS. Replace "The Ark" with "Vault". Replace "Wasteland" with "Wasteland". Replace "The Authority" with "The Enclave". Replace... Ah you get the idea.

They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Bethesda's test paper.

You mean Black Isle's test paper. I think I'll just avoid this thread. The amount of times Fallout 3 has been referenced is already making me rage.

I can't wait for this. I need it now!

I never played Doom 3. :P

Suki the Cat:

Kalezian:

I know what you're saying, I hate the way everything is compared to everything else instead of its own merits (really, the first one there is considered 'original and best', even if it's crap by newer standards). But i'm gonna fuck with you for a second. Here's a new game idea - like Rage, FPS with RPG elements, buy your own equipment, weapons and choose your own allegiances. Set in Napoleonic era.

Or how about a racing game where you buy your own ride, customise it, tweak it and race it to win money. Set in space.

This is easier than I thought. Btw, if anybody knows any games like the ones i just described, let me know i really wanna play goddammit!

I don't care what anyone says or promises, everything seems just too stalker or fallout-ish. I liked both those games, but I'm really fucking tired of traveling around in post apocalyptic shit heaps. I want to see trees and water and lush environments. Or well constructed cities that look bright and clean.

If I wanted to traverse a poorly constructed pile of dirt I could just go to the construction site near my university. I'm tired of all the brown brown brown grey brown colours. I'm tired of everything being rusty. I'm tired of dust and faltering metal. Give me something INTERESTING to look at.

UtopiaV1:
I know what you're saying, I hate the way everything is compared to everything else instead of its own merits (really, the first one there is considered 'original and best', even if it's crap by newer standards). But i'm gonna fuck with you for a second. Here's a new game idea - like Rage, FPS with RPG elements, buy your own equipment, weapons and choose your own allegiances. Set in Napoleonic era.

Or how about a racing game where you buy your own ride, customise it, tweak it and race it to win money. Set in space.

This is easier than I thought. Btw, if anybody knows any games like the ones i just described, let me know i really wanna play goddammit!

Fucking brilliant! Why can't these ideas make it to the game industry??? And even better, become reality. I love original ideas like this. If the first game you mention came out I'd be all over it! I still think a good game is a good game, if its revolutionary or not, but something like what you describe would be brilliant...

TOGSolid:

olikunmissile:

Kalezian:

You mean Black Isle's test paper. I think I'll just avoid this thread. The amount of times Fallout 3 has been referenced is already making me rage.

Ah... How right you are... What a foolish mistake, I must amend it at once.

With all the mention of Fallout 3 I must have just skipped over it.

While the setting does make me think Fallout, particularly the Ark bit, being able to actually concentrate on shooting things with accurate guns rather than rely on a VATS-type system to hit a target would make for much tighter gameplay, I'd think.

Post-apocalypse has been done many times before. It will be done many times in future. As long as the game holds up on its own merits I could live with the setting. That is, if I were getting the game; I doubt my compy'd be able to run it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here