id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

id is the best of the best. I cannot wait for them to get back in the action.

I hate to say it and I really do because I like to be the one telling people to stop saying one game is just the same thing as another one. But this really does look like fallout and I honestly thought the screen shot was another expansion for fallout 3 or a screen shot from the fallout mmo.

I hope I'm proven wrong by them and it just happened to look like fallout in those couple shots and it ends up being very different.

Who knows tho maybe a company based around making shooters will get the fps post apocalypse open world game perfected. Fallout 3 felt so fake when shooting and borderlands was good but it was like playing a very unpopular mmo with such few people.

Looks like another way of saying sandbox shooter that's fused the wackiest parts of Borderlands, GTA, Fallout3 and Bioshock into a "new product".

To be honest I'm really sick of wacky design: flame-swords, zombies that shoot lightning, guns that fire poison bullets etc ... seems like something a five year-old would come up with.

Doom 3 was pretty derivative (you are a space marine, and you are fighting evil monsters that want to take over the world) but it was still awesome. more importantly, the *reason* it was awesome is that when it comes to level design, enemy placement, combat mechanics, lighting, artwork, and atmosphere (basically, everything that gets added in between the concept statement and the release date) id knows how to paint a masterpiece as well as anyone who's ever been in the business.

It can be an utter conceptual clone of fallout, but if those qualities I mentioned above are spectacular, then the game will be spectacular.

r_Chance:

samsonguy920:
It's lack of effort to trying to break the rut of games is why Crytek keeps selling theirs. If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet. I can just play Fallout 3 to get my Wasteland fill. Not to mention Rage will also have New Vegas to go up against. Seriously id, if you are going to come back into the ring, don't do it as a copycat. At least pick a genre that isn't being used just now.
Why not revive Hexxen?

Id started work on their "copycat" about the same time Bethesda started on Fallout 3. Bethesda used a middleware engine which they also used for Oblivion and got it out the door. Id developed a new engine. I love Fallout 3. In spite of the game engine. I suspect I'll like Rage as a game, and be a lot happier with the tech it runs on. As for Hexen, that was a Raven Software game. Id engine, different developer -- the same developer that id used to do Quake IV. They have always had a pretty close relationship. Personally I'd love to see a Hexen III. Hexen II is one of my favorite all time games. Hopefully Raven will dust it off and carry it forward. First Person, RPG elements, swords and sorcery. *sigh* I can hope...

Well ain't nothin' sez that id can't get Raven back together and collaborate on a new Hexxen. We need more chickens to step on!
On another note, this game may redefine rage quitting.

Sure, it's like Fallout 3, but I think it has all the ingredients to be awesome! Let's just hope they do it right because it's definitely possible to make this game great. I know that building up hype often leads to disappointment, so for now I'm just going to say "Let's wait and see."

I miss the ID of old, who seemed to *create* new game genre's. (They did the first Shooter, the first WWII shooter, the first game where you were a Space Marine, the first no-story shooter with a pure multiplayer focus).

The new ID seems to do a lot of recycling of old concepts. But at least they polish everything to a dizzying, Blizzard-style level before releasing it.

Getting big Fallout 3 vibes.
Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not the kind of thing I would go for if I was trying to bring back the FPS market.

Doom is what made me fall in love with FPS games. Wolfenstein piqued my interest, Doom sealed the deal, and then Quake put the ring on my finger. Excited about Rage.

I don't see the point in complaining that something is like Fallout, isn't that a good thing? I may be one of the first people to jump on the "originality in games" band wagon but it seems stupid to say "this game franchise was already set in an post apocalyptic environment, so no one else can have their game set in one either".

Read the first page and thought Fallout 3
Read the second page and thought Borderlands

Hell this game sounds good because I loved those two games and as long as it isn't to similar I'll buy it

As good as it sounds, it really does sound like a mix of Fallout and Borderlands.

black-magic:
So... it's just s.t.a.l.k.e.r....

Stalker is not really post apocalyptic. The rest of the world is perfectly fine, its only The Zone that is messed up.

In the Book it happens because of an Alien Visitation and there are 6 locations in total, but this is one of those points where S.T.A.L.K.E.R borrows more from Andrei Tarkovsky's film where nothing about why the zone exists is really explained.

And to all those saying Rage is Fallout, well Fallout is Wasteland, so the cycle continues.

People seem to be thinking somehow that Fallout 3's story and setting was somehow original and something to be specifically ripped off because of its brilliance. Right...
The interview states quite clearly the reason for both the setting and the narrative, which are most likely the same reasons why the fallout universe works well. And unsurprisingly, both games were pretty much started when technology made it viable to make such a game. Id just took quite a bit longer since they are also making their own engine.

What I'm reading is Id going back to what makes a game fun and I for one am excited about that. Id is in the business of the game equivalent of simple action movies and they do it very well. At least they don't pretend to be doing something else.

Suki the Cat:

Kalezian:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"

Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...

except for that ONE game, and that game is aneye-opener for everyone. That's why they're special. Anyway, I find myself looking forward to this game. It's more that 'just' a shooter, and I like that. Shooters with nothing else to offer bore me, for some reason.

Kalezian:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"

Well good thing you got the first word on that, and while I agree post apocalyptic world isnt exactly a owned IP by fallout this premise makes it sound like a knockoff/tribute.

-Post apocolyps(meh similarity)
-Mutants and bandits(eh yeah post apocolyps I'll let it ride)
-Omnipresent Authority(Cough Cough)
-You're a survivor from a a shelter that went wrong(Ouch)

I'm sure IDs handywork will be quality but I think they could have done more to stand out premise wise. However as I said, post apocalyptic worlds and omnispresent authorities can't really be patented, if they could it probably would have been long before Fallout. Take the same game and change the premise to "you're a member of a cryogenicly frozen population on a long distance exploration space ship where something went wrong, the ship has crashed into some alien planet and you emerge from sleep to find all hell has broken loose, questionable experiments we're going on during the journey, and what's left of the sane crew has organized a small force to repel a group of aliens who we're on the cusp of conquering the planets native populace before the humans and thier guns showed up" You can stil have a world full of aliens/mutants from expirements, encampments dotted across the landscape cobbled togetehr from salvaged shipwreck parts, and there's not really any one truly original idea in my premise, but it keeps it from being able to explained "The gameplay is kinda like fallout, and the story Is... alot like fallout."

Looking forward to it, but in all honesty I don't think there were many games cooler than Doom.
I mean sure there are BETTER Shooters, but COOLER?Really?
You're a SPACEMARINE on MARS fighting ZOMBIES with a CHAINSAW!
And that's just the sugar-coated top of it.
Big-ass freaky Demons, digitized Slayer and Pantera, BFG's, fuckin cool levels, Wolfenstein Easter-Eggs...
Man, seriously!
I still play it online, Deathmatchin' the shit out of the dozen Russian kids who still seem to play it.

Is it bad when I heard the bit about the ARK, the first thing I thought of was the movie "2012"?

You ultimately take on The Authority? What is this a Philip Pullman Novel? If you get an all powerful knife at some point and a shapeshifting companion i'm calling shenanigans!

Kalezian:

Yeah... First thing I thought of when I read the description:

"Uhhh... This is fallout. The game. With the new ID engine."

I mean I don't know, I like IDs games, Doom, Quake, they're all fun. Maybe RAGE won't be the post-apocalyptic world of FALLOUT, it's just a completely different post-apocalyptic world where you wake up in a vault of some kind (this time its an ARK) in the future with mutants trying to kill you.

Somebody get these people some cyberpunk, post haste.

definitely waiting to see how this will be

and ya it does sorta make me think hmm kinda like fallout or borderlands
not comparing or say it is or it'll be worse/better just saying

ad

Sounds like fallout, looks and acts like borderlands, this is supposed to be "the game the world has waited for"? seesh

This could be a good game, may even be great, but i surely will not be revolutionary. also, i don't think it will have much idividual thinking eigther.
Well done id, first you make the game, now you copy everyone elses version of that game

Was does it seem so hard for game-designers (or rather, maybe it's the suits above) to think of underexploited settings for their games? Seriously? Post-apocalyptic? I came up with several possible premises in my head as read the comments, and they didn't use the post-apocalyptic setting but could work with similar mechanics described for the game. And the mutants. Oh god, the mutants! I find kind of creepier when the enemy attacking me is just like me, just deranged, or even more when they're methodic, not some apparently mindless zombie-like creature.

These people need to read more. Diversify. It seems like all their ideas come from the same extremely narrow pool of influences.

@ everyone: If it's like Fallout 3, than it can't be a bad thing.

*Sigh*, OK yes, it asthetically similar to Fallout 3. But gameplay is where the game is, and this is an FPS, not an FPRPG. It'll be plenty different from Fallout. Whether it'll be good or not remains to be seen.

But I think it'll kick ass.

God DAMN this game is gonna be awesome.

id does not make open-world games. Their M.O. has always pushed them in the opposite direction so that their game levels are smaller and linear but overall, well designed. Anyone hoping to truly wander the wasteland will be disappointed by this game. Expect to see plenty of closed-off canyons and encircling cliff faces as you travel along a guided path from point A to point B.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but id had better be honest with the product they're selling here. This will not be Fallout3 with a free roam system and complex inventory physics. It will be far closer to Borderlands in its scope and design.

Suki the Cat:

Kalezian:

Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...

This always existed ever since Doom was created, back then, the genre wasn't called FPS, it was simply called "Doom clone", the FPS genre came after Half-Life when people saw that HL was all about shooting while having a compelling storyline. Since then, we all know the genre as FPS, even Doom evolved from a "Doom clone" to FPS.

Zetablade:
RAge looks awesome I just don't hope this happens again

I'm pretty sure that was Ion Storm, not id Software.

I've been excited for Rage since it was announced and I continue to be. It looks like what I wished Fallout 3 would have been. I'll buy Rage at release as I would with any id game.

r_Chance:

samsonguy920:
It's lack of effort to trying to break the rut of games is why Crytek keeps selling theirs. If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet. I can just play Fallout 3 to get my Wasteland fill. Not to mention Rage will also have New Vegas to go up against. Seriously id, if you are going to come back into the ring, don't do it as a copycat. At least pick a genre that isn't being used just now.
Why not revive Hexxen?

Id started work on their "copycat" about the same time Bethesda started on Fallout 3. Bethesda used a middleware engine which they also used for Oblivion and got it out the door. Id developed a new engine. I love Fallout 3. In spite of the game engine. I suspect I'll like Rage as a game, and be a lot happier with the tech it runs on. As for Hexen, that was a Raven Software game. Id engine, different developer -- the same developer that id used to do Quake IV. They have always had a pretty close relationship. Personally I'd love to see a Hexen III. Hexen II is one of my favorite all time games. Hopefully Raven will dust it off and carry it forward. First Person, RPG elements, swords and sorcery. *sigh* I can hope...

I hope Raven continue Heretic or HeXen. But idk.
I know fans recreating hexen on doom3 engine.
http://www.hexenmod.com/

RaVeN-05:

I hope Raven continue Heretic or HeXen. But idk.
I know fans recreating hexen on doom3 engine.
http://www.hexenmod.com/

Nice. Very nice. Thanks for the link.

saejox:
when is the release?
id is talking about it since doom 3.
also they didnt release anything since then. i'm a little worried.

DOOM RPG
Orcs and elves 1 & 2
Doom Ressurection
Wolfenstein RPG
Plus they have been working big time on this and doom 4
(it should benoted they have something against more than forty people per game dev team.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here