Review: 3D Dot Game Heroes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: 3D Dot Game Heroes

It'll feel familiar, and that's not entirely a good thing.

Read Full Article

Hehe, it looks all cute indeed, and it does remind me of games since passed...era wise anyway.

Looks like fun, and, if I can will certainly rent it

Considering how much I love the original Zelda, this would be worth getting on the PS3.

If I owned a PS3.

Considering that nostalgia has little effect on me, I still think I'd pass, even if I had a PS3.

Nostalgia. It's a powerful thing.

just have to say, your voice is sexy
being english (and male and straight, i must add) i have a thing about english voices
OT: looks alright, but why bother with zelda nostalgia when i could just play zelda?

I'd consider getting this if I had a PS3, just because it has such a nice look.

oh come on, even the map looks like the one from "a link to the past" ><
it's a good effort, but they seem to rely a bit overly much on nostalgia =S

still, good review

As long as they had fun with it, I'm sure, to the creators, it was a success.

If I get a PS3, I might pick this up, if only for the fish sword (and I'm surprised no one has commented on that yet...), just so I can chop down trees with a herring--or try to, at least. Nee.

Allow me to make the monty python joke, I'm always the first to do it.

"We are the knights who say NI! You, have two more quests! First, you must get us ANOTHER SHRUBBERY! Then, you must cut the down the largest tree in the forest, WITH A HERRING!"

If I had a PS3, I'd be tempted to check this out. Cloud, eat your heart out.

No mention of the mini-games? Oh well.
This game is definitely worth it.

this would honestly be an insta-buy... if I had a PS3, I pray for a port to the 360, honestly, what's keeping them for going multiconsole on this guy?

This was the Python sketch that sprung to mind for me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

Wow, so many people saying they would look at this if they had a ps3, me included. Surely the system to release a mega-zelda-nostalgia-fest would be the Wii, that one that almost all nintendo fans and many other people besides own? Or am I missing something...

Presumably, this is to cash in on that hypothetical niche of people who fondly remember old Zelda titles but opted for a PS3 over a Wii.

Also, am I reading to much into things, or could the ridiculous dimensions of upgraded swords be a subtle jab at Final Fantasy?

Logan Westbrook:
...and you can't make the same allowances for age that you can with an actual retro title.

Yes I can. Especially if the WHOLE THING is advertised as such. And sold at 66% normal full price for a current title.

First 2 paragraphs, meet last two. Yeah, kinda odd, right?

I think this game looks like fun. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS3. I've played Link to the Past many times and still have a copy of ZSNES on Windows and linux with a ROM of it lying about somewhere.

ultimateownage:

"We are the knights who say NI! You, have two more quests! First, you must get us ANOTHER SHRUBBERY! Then, you must cut the down the largest tree in the forest, WITH A KIPPER!"

"WITH A HERRING"

This game looks fun but it's kinda weird with just how close it is to legend of zelda. I mean there's lots of legend of zelda games you could be playing than this one who is merely imitating one. I'm not saying it's not a good game or anything but it is kind of a odd niche. Also it being on the ps3 does work in it's favor. it would definailty not get purchased on the wii what with legend of zelda being it's competetion. But on the ps3 it has the benefit of being like that title while being on a system that's kinda still struggling to get some really good adventure/puzzle games out there.

If I had a ps3 and it was ten bucks to buy this game I would do that.

SaintWaldo:

Logan Westbrook:
...and you can't make the same allowances for age that you can with an actual retro title.

Yes I can. Especially if the WHOLE THING is advertised as such. And sold at 66% normal full price for a current title.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but Zelda came out in 1986, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect more from a game released nearly twenty-five years later. It's one thing to offer a game with a retro feel, it's another thing to offer a game with dated gameplay and try to pass it off as retro.

Looks interesting. To bad I hated the original Zelda and this one looks exactly like it.

psivamp:
I think this game looks like fun. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS3. I've played Link to the Past many times and still have a copy of ZSNES on Windows and linux with a ROM of it lying about somewhere.

ultimateownage:

"We are the knights who say NI! You, have two more quests! First, you must get us ANOTHER SHRUBBERY! Then, you must cut the down the largest tree in the forest, WITH A KIPPER!"

"WITH A HERRING"

My bad, I haven't watched that one for at least a year, I really need to refresh my monty python quotes.

Logan Westbrook:

SaintWaldo:

Logan Westbrook:

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but Zelda came out in 1986, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect more from a game released nearly twenty-five years later. It's one thing to offer a game with a retro feel, it's another thing to offer a game with dated gameplay and try to pass it off as retro.

If you want me to feel entitled to my own opinion, may I suggest this style of phrasing in the future:

Logan Westbrook:
...and I can't make the same allowances for age that I would with an actual retro title.

…because the original phrasing actually excluded my own opinion.

The one thought that stuck with me throughout the video supplement: that is one HUGE freaking sword. Good lord, man.

you could buy 3d dot game heroes for 60 bucks for nostalgia purposes

or you could fire up your wii, buy zelda for 5 bucks, and play the original, non ripoff, and all around better version of the game.

"There's a Monty Python joke to be made here, I'm sure of it," Best send of ever.

I love how so many people look past how much of a rip-off it is and say it's a selling point when you get other games like Darksiders that just take elements from LoZ and other titles and they get ripped to pieces.

It's a thin line that separate a homage from plagiarism, in this case. I mean, when I read the review, I tought that it sounded good, but when I saw the video, it was _so_close_ to the original Zelda for SNES that I tought I'd rather play the real one...

Maybe I missed it, but you really should mention that this game is NOT a full-price title; it is going to retail day one for $40 instead of the normal $60. I know that doesn't have to do with the quality of the game per se, but I think it is at least a point of interest.

cut down a tree. WITH A HERRING!! there i did it for you. ^-^

I'm going to hold out - according to Joystiq, it sounds like a 360 port is 'possible'.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/08/xbox-360-port-of-3d-dot-game-heroes-possible/

I'm a bit confused, because from reading the review, it sounds like you were generally disappointed, but from the video supplement I just get that there was plenty of fun to be had, with only minor flaws.

*double post nixed*

Well now, seems the forums are misbehaving.

zamble:
It's a thin line that separate a homage from plagiarism, in this case. I mean, when I read the review, I tought that it sounded good, but when I saw the video, it was _so_close_ to the original Zelda for SNES that I tought I'd rather play the real one...

Pretty much my exact sentiment. Why should I buy a slight variation on a game I can already play whenever I want? This is the same reason why I never cared about the bazillion Street Fighter 2 upgrades, or all the different Dynasty Warriors games. Oh wait, sorry about that-didn't mean to use the words "different" and "Dynasty Warriors" in the same sentence.

What's "egend"?
And where did the fishy go?

Love the graphics!

I'll likely take a look a look at this at some point. But too many other games atm i want to finish playing, seriously, too much stuff has come out. My wallet can't handle it, and fall season is all but too close already!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here