Review: Alan Wake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Flamezdudes:

Tdc2182:
My God. This is making my choice harder and harder. Splinter cell is officially out, but now it is between this and Red dead Redemption.

Damn you Susan!

Red Dead seems to have more replay value and longer play, thats what i'm getting atleast. Alan Wake will have to got another time unforunatly...

Two completely different experiences but, yes, Red Dead absolutely has more replay value, as well as multiplayer, co-op, and suchlike.

That was a great review, and it made me very happy that I have my pre-orders structured so that I receive Alan Wake before I receive Red Dead Redemption. I want to devote a good number of days to getting the wits scared out of me before jumping into the land of do-as-you-please.

Susan Arendt:
The mystery of Bright Falls will only stay a mystery for so long, because eventually the game will end and the truth will be revealed.

I'm REALLY on the fence with this game.

On the one hand it seems to go for kind of different type of fear - sort of cozy and rustic a la Twin Peaks - wich I seriously dig. On the other hand.......uhmmmmm........... Ah fuck, I think I'm gonna have to buy this game.

I think I'll get this after reading your review. I honestly didn't believe it would live up to the hype. Having said that I still want a couple of more dragonage play throughs, then play Arkham asylum and Mass Effect 2. The price should have dropped by then.

If you can dodge a Wrench, You can dodge a ..flying train cart?

Hubilub:
I still can't get over the fact that huge flying objects just casually bump off Alan.

That was my reaction to watching the review supplement. "Oh, right, duck a train car, he's toast...er...wait, what? Is that a Nerf train or is Alan secretly Kryptonian?" I'd add that to the list of immersion breaks.

Hm. I'm not the type to directly request things, as that's silly, but I can't help thinking a game like this must be on Yahtzee's radar. Assuming it ever emerges in Australia.

Wait, this game came out so suddenly? I thought the release was still months away...

You know what, I might check out this game, thanks a lot Susan Arendt!

Halo? Never really understood it's popularity, at least from playing Halo 1 and 2 on PC

GoW? I played 1 on my comp, it was pretty fun, but I don't cry that I cannot play 2.

Mass Effect? I have a gaming PC.

So yeah, Alan Wake is the first game, that makes me feel bad for not owning X360. I so want to play that...

Damn it, why doesn't this come to the PC? OK, it may, but it's going to be (I guess) at least a year.

Really, really looking forward to this one and this has only made me more excited for it!

Nice review Susan... I am hoping to pick up Alan Wake in a couple of weeks when my girlfriend is done playing Dragon Age.

I would definitely buy this... if it was for PC. I don't have a 360, and don't intend to get one. Hopefully we will see a PC port of this game sometime in the future.

Only 8 more days until my Limited Edition arrives. God, those days will be painfully long.

Man, do I now feel proud to be finnish.

Until Alan Wake, I didn't mind not having a 360. All the games I wanted were also on either PS3 or PC. Now, I'm a little more bothered.

P.S. Thanks

Great review im going to preorder it right now

Flamezdudes:

Tdc2182:
My God. This is making my choice harder and harder. Splinter cell is officially out, but now it is between this and Red dead Redemption.

Damn you Susan!

Red Dead seems to have more replay value and longer play, thats what i'm getting at least. Alan Wake will have to be bought another time unfortunatly...

That was exactly what I was thinking. I think Wake looks a bit more enjoyable in the short term, but Red Dead Redemption looks like a fun dicking-around game. I am gonna have to drw straws or something.

Susan Arendt:

Two completely different experiences but, yes, Red Dead absolutely has more replay value, as well as multiplayer, co-op, and suchlike.

I watched the review a few hours ago and I dont remember hearing anything, but did you mention how long a playthrough is? If it is a longish game I might choose this over Red Dead.

Tdc2182:

Susan Arendt:

I watched the review a few hours ago and I dont remember hearing anything, but did you mention how long a playthrough is? If it is a longish game I might choose this over Red Dead.

Depends on what you mean by "longish", really. I also don't know how long the single-player mode of RDR is, so comparing the two is pretty apples and oranges. They're just such different experiences.

I'm probably going to give this a rent first to see what it's like. I've had an urge to play ODST recently, so I'll probably pick that up for my birthday. If I enjoy it, I'll go purchase it after Red Dead Redemption. I still have been meaning to try out the new Final Fantasy game.

And it's not coming to the PC. I'm only finding about this now. Damn. They introduced the game all those years ago, showcasing DX10 and how it runs on a Quad core and that everything is great about it. Then, a few months before launch they drop the PC port. I'm just speechless. Darn whoever is responsible.

Has anyone seen any news of there being a PC version in the future?

ARGH SPOILERS IN THE REVIEW WHYYYYY

I was very interested in this game, although from the trailers it looked like it might end up as a well-meaning failure, like Alone in the Dark (although I haven't played that and suspect I would enjoy it if I did). I'm glad it turned out OK. I might have to buy it if it's not available at my rental.

One review actually said "Better than Silent Hill 2"

I might have to believe them, now.

Wow, I'm surprised at how good this looks, to be honest. Now I have to decide if I should pick up this or Lost Planet 2. It'll probably be this, because I don't really have a lot of scary games in my library.

So, no PC version?

Monshroud:
Nice review Susan... I am hoping to pick up Alan Wake in a couple of weeks when my girlfriend is done playing Dragon Age.

By the way, is Dragon Age any good?

The Random One:
ARGH SPOILERS IN THE REVIEW WHYYYYY

I was very interested in this game, although from the trailers it looked like it might end up as a well-meaning failure, like Alone in the Dark (although I haven't played that and suspect I would enjoy it if I did). I'm glad it turned out OK. I might have to buy it if it's not available at my rental.

As I mentioned previously, the spoilers are not story related and are very, very minor - you'll see the names of Episodes, for example. I prefer to overwarn than underwarn, however.

From what I've seen so far, to be honest, Alan Wake looks like an underdeveloped, undersized (7-8 hours and no multiplayer? please... what's with this silly trend of providing less and less content for our 60 dollars?), repeatitive, sub-hd attempt at an interactive B-movie with a sub-par story and characters that share the same personality as a cactus.
They cut it down to the bone, and as a result there isn't enough meat left to justify a purchase.

No reason to spend money on it when there are games out there with better stories, much better characters, a truckload more content (for the same price) and better action. Yakuza 3 is an example, but there are plenty more.

Susan Arendt:

Tdc2182:

Depends on what you mean by "longish", really. I also don't know how long the single-player mode of RDR is, so comparing the two is pretty apples and oranges. They're just such different experiences.

Yeah, its just that I only have enough money for one game. So I cant decide between a good story but not extremly much replay value, or a fun game that you can infinitely mess around on.

But thanks for the review anyway. The Escapist is one of the more trustworthy sites for games.

Abriael:
From what I've seen so far, to be honest, Alan Wake looks like an underdeveloped, undersized (7-8 hours and no multiplayer? please... what's with this silly trend of providing less and less content for our 60 dollars?), repeatitive, sub-hd attempt at an interactive B-movie with a sub-par story and characters that share the same personality as a cactus.
They cut it down to the bone, and as a result there isn't enough meat left to justify a purchase.

No reason to spend money on it when there are games out there with better stories, much better characters, a truckload more content (for the same price) and better action. Yakuza 3 is an example, but there are plenty more.

This game looked shitty with multiplayer(remedy made a april fools joke vid about it).Why does every game have to have multiplayer anyway?It's that mentality that has ruined great games(bioshock 2 anybody).

masakoz:
This game looked shitty with multiplayer(remedy made a april fools joke vid about it).Why does every game have to have multiplayer anyway?It's that mentality that has ruined great games(bioshock 2 anybody).

Might want to read the whole sentence: "7-8 hours and no multiplayer" = very little content for the price of a full game. At the very least multiplayer options help adding some value when the single player is short.
For sure I don't want or need multiplayer with every game, but this trend of providing very little content in games is getting tiresome. I don't mean that every game needs 60-70 hours worth of content like Yakuza 3, but at the very least 15-20 should be the norm, and much less than that should definitely be frowned upon.
All this time in development to deliver less than 10 hours of gameplay is simply a new definition of lazy.

I hope it comes out for PC so I can play it, it looks interesting but I'm not getting a 360 for it.

Galad:

Susan Arendt:
The mystery of Bright Falls will only stay a mystery for so long, because eventually the game will end and the truth will be revealed.

I'm sorry, but what the hell kind of question is that? Of course it stays the same, it's not a single killer, the whole game is based around that mystery. Also, who told you anything about choices? This is a linear game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here