Escape to the Movies: Iron Man 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Phew, i was expecting to be told that i only liked this movie because of hype. Nice to know it's just genuinely good :D

I thought their was a great focus on the story and characters and not just mindless action squished in at any opportunity. Though when it did get to the action it was pretty amazing!

The final battle wasn't too bad. It was a little short but weirdly i wasn't entirely disappointed by that for once. At least it still had some story afterwards instead of ending abruptly.

Good to know i wasn't the only one thinking like that about scarlett johansson.

i think you can be sure that at least one guy in the world is thinking like that about scarlett johansson at anytime

Holy Shit indeed MovieBob!

Even my extremly heterosexual girlfriend was checking out her arse!!!

Just for Johansson, i'll see it.

But i have a question. If you say Character first than action and finally villain, doesn't that imply a really unfulfilling and anti-climatic final fight with the main villain?

Good. I'm glad Iron Man two doesn't suck.
It was pretty tense when you started making that house alaogy.
I didn't know which direction you were going with it.

Oh god, I used to own one of those castle grayskull things... it was damn awesome.

Glad to hear this is as epic as the first! Will totally be seeing this!

I saw it on the night it came out and I had these exact thoughts going through my head, almost word for word. But I didn't think that Scarlet Johansen was that good looking in this, she reminded me too much of Charlotte Church when she was younger.

"...suffering from electric posioning"

OF COURSE! Don't you know anything about science?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgR3N8y4boQ

I was expecting this movie to suck, but I was going to see it since I loved Iron Man 1 so much.

Glad to know it's got the seal of approval of my favorite movie reviewer, now I'm REALLY excited.

WOOOOOOOOW
I just realized who makes the music for Escape to the Movies.
MIND.BLOWN.

Well Bob, for the first time, we disagree with each other.

Saw it last night at the midnight launch, bricks were shat. It was fun got there about 3 hours early with my friends screwed around flew a kite we won. We also got free comics n such from friendly neighborhood comics because the owner had a stand setup for the iron man launch.

LordCuthberton:
Well Bob, for the first time, we disagree with each other.

Same with me.

... Well, it's not the first time... But I disagree the strongest right now!

The movie was good, but I had a few problems with it:

1. I don't know if this is the movie's fault, but I don't like Pepper. Her character is very one-note (Condescending remarks toward Stark) and Johansson is much more interesting and hot.

2. The final battle is pretty pathetic, much like it was in the first Iron Man.

3. The whole thing about his dying was resolved way too simply. He points a laser at metal triangle and that completely sucks away the tension concerning his possible death.

Also, can we stop it with all the post-credits shit, please? The theater I was in was about 90 degrees, and I didn't feel like waiting through 7 minutes of credits.

Hubilub:
Same with me.

... Well, it's not the first time... But I disagree the strongest right now!

We had this discussion! We filled the best part of a page on why the film was bad.

ironlordthemad:
But I didn't think that Scarlet Johansen was that good looking in this, she reminded me too much of Charlotte Church when she was younger.

You've gotta be kidding me.

I'm betting that Castle Greyskull was from your personal *ahem* collection as well Bob. ;)

Yeah I don't see an iron man 3 happening until after the avengers, since its coming out in two years.

Also, did anybody else see the Stark v. Hammer rivalry as Mac v. PC (With stark being Mac), or am I just crazy?

Here's an idea for Iron Man #3. It would be AWSOME if they could make Hawkeye the 'villain' seeing as it was his origin in the comics. It would help with that whole putting Characters and Action before the Villain thing that is happening with Iron Man movies (not that it didn't work). Would love to see who cast to play Black Widow.

I hope they could also work Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch into one of these movies (Captain America, Thor, The Avengers). I don't have any real affinity for these characters, but even the remotest possibility of one last cameo by Sr. Ian McKellen as Magneto would allow me to die happy.

I've always thought that the problem with adapting Iron Man to film is that most of his better-known villains are a bunch of pulp cold war holdovers. With emphasis on the Red Menace and Yellow Peril characters, if you know what I mean no, those aren't actual supervillain names. Google them. That's the real problem with updating cold-war-era stuff for the modern age (and this is the reason James Bond is no longer the super-smooth playboy superhero agent Bob loves so much).

I am confuzzled by your statements.

Moviebob:
It's no Dark Knight.

Moviebob:
It's better than the first

If the first was better than the Dark Knight because it didn't insist on taking itself too seriously, dragging on too long, it had more compelling characters, and was just an overall better film, how can the Dark Knight be better than this? It boggles the mind!

Superman:
Batman, you're no-nonsense solutions just don't hold water in a world of jet-powered apes and time travel.

Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY is when I'll finally be able to drink in the RDJ-flavored goodness.

Thanks for psyching me up even MORE, Bob.

No how to train your dragon? thought you were gonna do how to train your dragon? Have I dropped a HOW TO TRAIN YOUR MOTHER FUCKING DRAGON hint?

I still remain skeptical as to weather or not to watch it. The first one has developed a massive following in my family.

You know, the more and more Favreau hits it out of the park with 'Iron Man', the more and more concerned I become that he is setting an impossible standard for the other related franchises to live up to. I mean, if Iron Man was an obscure comic, what was Thor? I have met exactly 3 other people besides myself who collected Thor comics. Captain America probably won't be too hard a sell, given the nationalistic fervor it's sure to inspire, but Brannaugh really has his work cut out for him, I fear.

I didn't wait for the credits to finish, noooooo
EDIT, thank you Youtube

Wohoo! So glad it ended up being good!

I just realized i clicked on the comments link before the credits ended. Was i supposed to watch those credits too?

Anyway i didn't like the first Iron Man. I was one of the non-fans who never heard of him. It bore me out half way through and i left. I mean the way he built his robo suit in captivity and that heart thingy was just too over the top for me to let go and believe it. I don't know if there's a point to watching the sequel.

I would just like to say that you are the first critic from both mainstream outlets and more geek centric outlets that seems to get this movie. I was a tad worried going in that they may have botched it a bit from the early previews, but I came out wondering if the critics had watched the same movie as me.

Thank you.

I wasnt expecting much from the first film, and was very pleasently suprised by it. If its more of the same then thats all good too.
I have seem some reveiws that gave it awful marks, but hey it is'nt out the please everyone, and since Bob's its main demographics I will go with his word, he hasn't let me down yet.

i saw Iron Man 2 ONE WHOLE WEEK before the americans.

neener neener

Little Duck:
No how to train your dragon? thought you were gonna do how to train your dragon? Have I dropped a HOW TO TRAIN YOUR MOTHER FUCKING DRAGON hint?

I still remain skeptical as to weather or not to watch it. The first one has developed a massive following in my family.

I don't know how much my word is worth, but I found "How To Train Your Dragon" highly enjoyable. The 3-D wasn't great, but it didn't need to be (I didn't really notice it very much, so either it didn't stand out or I'm just getting used to it).

I can't really point out the reasons why I enjoyed it... it was just a fun movie, I suppose.

Well, that clenches it. I'll be seeing Iron Man 2 tomorrow.

I saw it last night and I agree completely, it was better than the 1st one, not by much though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here