Escape to the Movies: Iron Man 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I enjoy how you're critical about the industry as well as the movie itself.

Keep it up, MovieBob!

I thought this movie was a complete dud. Too slow and clunky to keep me engaged. I felt like Bob was gonna say that this movie was the big house that the lotto winner might buy, not knowing what to do with it- because this movie was all over the place and I didn't care for it one bit. The ending with the bad guy was like, that's it? The other action scenes were also very forgettable.

I think people only like it because it's iron man and because of all the references to titillate nerd boners.

When you strip it down, it's just a poorly written film that's a vehicle to pimp the marvel universe. Even Bob admits the biggest conflict was with Stark's own ego and even that wasn't well done.

Biggest question with critiquing any fiction- what's at stake? What's the conflict?

Iron Man 2 says- oh... this and that...

Sucked.

I didn't pick up many clues to much apart from 2 things 1. the blantant captin america sheild and 2. the map of the antarctic inside the chest from his father.

it is true that he virtually started with 0mph and accelerated then to escape the blast. It was a big blast and very little time. it took roughly 2 seconds on screen for him to get Pepper on the roof of a house roughly 500m away. Beeing picked up by a dude in a metal armor and then accelerated like that has to leave some damage. No debate neccesary.

It is true that a lot of smart people do have little people skills yet he completely chanded from Iron man 1 to Iron man 2. Also: Its annoying anyway so why do it?

I dont recall any indication of that intention presented in the movie so i wont accept that as a reason. Actually there is no reason given whatsoever and that bothers me.

I am aware that new elements can be created. my point was that the whole scene was ridiculous. essentially stark removed some stuff fronm the layout of the expo and connected some dots and then enlarged it and TADAAA magically it isnt a bunch of connected dots its a complex model of this amazing new element which jarvis instantly claimed to be impossible to synthesize. Stark builds his whatever-beam-thingy (that doesnt bother thhaaat much he is stark after all) and shoots it at that little triangle to create said impossible to create element. And then jarvis goes (remember he claimed it could not be created)"it will be a workable substitude for paladium" and later "the generator has accepted the new core...". Wll i wouldnt exactly trust that damn thing which seemingly doesnt know shit. Its a plotdevice and a poor one.

Well it doesnt bother me that he is narcistic. Thats just how it is and its fun

i appreciate the feedback i really do. Especially since it isnt the ususall flame^^

Aerodyth:

post number 172

Saw it on Friday and couldn't agree with you more Bob. I really enjoyed it and for us comic book fans who know about the Avenger plot, *drool*.

At first I didn't know who the guy at the end of the credits was or who he was calling thor, but I went back and watched the first Iron man and he was like the second in command for SHIELD, or one of the lackies.

I have to say that the trailers really REALLY hyped the action.

This was a 2+ hour movie punctuated with 8-12 minutes of action. Hammer was so 1 dimensional and stereotypical I cringed when he spoke.

As for Scarlett, I feel that she wasn't utilized nearly enough. That leads me to believe she was eyecandy for the trailers and little more.

I was very disappointed.

What was the joke that was going to upset people? I saw the movie and didn't get upset - am I politically insensitive or just clueless?

Boy, was this one bad. One step better than the Transformers sequel, sure, but with The Dark Knight sitting there at the finish. Plot is outright stupid (what is this, an episode of Smallvile?..), i've been wanting to slap the negro the whole movie (he looks bloody constipated and acts like a dork the whole time. Bring back the must have african-american from the first one!), action is silly (you know there is something wrong when the henchmen take more time to dispatch than the actual big boss), acting isn't fun at all (Rourke wears only two faces throught the whole thing: "i am a dirty russian har har" and "i am a smart russian te he he"). Overall - do not buy/see. The first one is INFINITELY better. Avengers better not disappoint.

"HOOOOOLY..." indeed Bob, indeed :-)

Am I crazy, I saw the movie and everyone I was with agreed it was a steaming pile of garbage. The dialog and relationships between the characters was forced, and plastic. Plot moved along like a new driver. Jokes were god awful. Was no suspense in the fight scenes because I didn't care for the people in the movie at all and they were over too fast. Not to mention there was way too much going on in the fight scenes. Maybe I am just getting too old.

ZiggyApplepie:
Am I crazy, I saw the movie and everyone I was with agreed it was a steaming pile of garbage.

Huh, I was with a group and everyone loved it. Weird how opinions vary.

Just because the few folks you were with and you agree that the movie was crap doesn't mean that the view is shared across the board.

Anyone notice a scene where coulson is freaking out about where stark found a crate of stuff and the next thing he pulls out that stark uses to level out his excelorator looks a lot like a lac-luster version of captain america's shield?

Eric the Orange:

Orekoya:
snip

It always makes me sad when people are so close minded that they are unable to accept other peoples opinions, and believe there opinions are fact.

Maybe you are reading it wrong - "Everyone hated Daredevil. Everyone loved Dark Knight. Dark Knight was a duplicate of Daredevil, pretty much scene for scene with even the angles in the warehouse and street shoot out being the same, just more dragged out with 50 minutes of faffing about and with a Batman theme instead." That isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Watch them both side by side, the similarities are mind-boggling.

Saying everyone is stupid and that they have no concept of what is good, that's my opinion. I just happen to think I have more evidence to support it.

Fortesque:

misterprickly:

In fact... my FIRST topic post (on the escapist) was "The Dark Knight SUCKED!" and I stil think that to this very day!

YAY!! More people who hated The Dark Knight. It was terrible, if Heath Ledger didnt die it would have done not half as well. Im more than happy it didnt with the Oscar for Best Picture.

You know what makes this even worse? Publicly speaking, Dark Knight overshadows Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus as Heath Ledger's last great role. It didn't do shit here, most US theaters not even releasing it, and that movie was like ten times better than Dark Knight. It even had Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law character filling for the mind-rape imagination scenes that Ledger didn't get to film before dying and that made it even more awesome. And to top it off it was directed by Terry Gilliam, which if you don't know who that is, you need to be stabbed in the eye repeatedly.

I'd like to disagree about the Matrix Reloaded. Sure, maybe less things happened in it than in the first movie, but it had one of the best car chase/fight scenes ever done.

Same thing I said coming out of the theater. The sequel lives more comfortably in the 'corporate super-hero shenanigans' universe that the first had to struggle to realize. So where Jeff Bridges' corporate-bad-ass-suddenly-deciding-he-wants-to-joyride-in-a-suit-of-armor-so-that-the-third-act-can-have-an-action-sequence made no sense, we totally buy Sam Rockwell Steve-Jobsing it at the Stark Expo with powered suits on podiums behind him.

Also, how great was it to see Mad Men's John Slatery as Stark Sr.? No comment on this Bob? Seriously?

This is off topic, But my brother wanted to know what you thought about Smokin Aces?

findelhe:
Anyone notice a scene where coulson is freaking out about where stark found a crate of stuff and the next thing he pulls out that stark uses to level out his excelorator looks a lot like a lac-luster version of captain america's shield?

To me it looks like an unfinished prototype. Perhaps something that Stark's father or grandfather might have been working on when Captain America disappeared.

DAVEoftheDEAD:
This is off topic, But my brother wanted to know what you thought about Smokin Aces?

LOVE it. It's like a Michael Bay movie from an alternate-universe where he's good at his job. If Carnahan brings that kind of energy to "The A-Team" it could be pretty awesome.

I was pretty disappointed by this sequel.
There was so much unnecessary screen time for these Avengers members that I couldn't care less about. They didn't add anything to the plot and having a beauty beat down tons of security guards isn't special either.
The character development was overall pretty awkward and tedious. It got boring pretty fast.
Stark was a bit too exaggerated this time (especially when you consider the way he became Iron Man) and most of the jokes were flawed and not funny at all.
But personally, the worst about this movie were the lacking action sequences. It was one frigging stereotype battle after the other.
So Iron Man tries to flee from the huge amount of drones and his friend in the other suit who of course NEVER hit him at all and guess what, he gets rid of half of them by letting them fly into walls and such... uh. And that part really took forever. All these exploding cars... my ass.
I mean Iron Man was never threated anyway, or? These electric whips didn't do shit when they hit him (while cutting through everything else like a Lightsaber) and all the drone's projectiles couldn't hurt him either.

Meh... for me this movie lacked everywhere: Plot, characters, humor and action.

Badassassin:
This is the first batman. Gritty comics were made later.

The movies made by Nolan were based on far grittier and more recent comics, not the original ones.

Specifically Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween.

MovieBob:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

LOVE it. It's like a Michael Bay movie from an alternate-universe where he's good at his job. If Carnahan brings that kind of energy to "The A-Team" it could be pretty awesome.

I'm glad to hear you liked it and so is my brother! I started watching the A-Team a couple years ago and I really enjoy the show. I got to see some older actors I like in the show. So that was a added bonus. Well I hope the A-Team is good. The show is legendary to me and my friends.

By the way, since when is this show a family show?

One thing I don't get about the first movie was why did Stane go on a rampage? He was about to be placed under arrest, he was (it seemed) a sane man I don't get what he thought he would get out of what he did, even if he killed Tony he would have been hunted down and arrested eventually.

With the second film because of the burning hatred that Whiplash had for Tony the ending made a lot more sense

I like how the writers were in no rush with the romance between Tony and Pepper, it allowed it to develop at a much more interesting pace over the movies.

Vault Citizen:
One thing I don't get about the first movie was why did Stane go on a rampage? He was about to be placed under arrest, he was (it seemed) a sane man I don't get what he thought he would get out of what he did, even if he killed Tony he would have been hunted down and arrested eventually.

With the second film because of the burning hatred that Whiplash had for Tony the ending made a lot more sense

I like how the writers were in no rush with the romance between Tony and Pepper, it allowed it to develop at a much more interesting pace over the movies.

Its better to burn out then fade away- Neil Young

Just saw the film. It seemed unnecessary to even exist, except to set up The Avengers. That was really it's only purpose.

While I appreciate that the movie was trying to shift Tony from the self-centered narcissistic jerk superhero to the playfully self-centered narcissistic jerk superhero, it didn't really pan out as well as I hoped it would.

Much of Whiplash's behavior seemed borderline erratic. I mean, I simply don't buy the fact that his old man kicked off is a viable straw to break his back. Not to mention, he goes straight from drinking and brooding in the corner (admittedly, a very chilly corner) to a complete 180 where he's suddenly out to overtly destroy Stark's reputation, and even kill him toward the end.
Also, and I guess this is just me nit-picking now, but no sane person would do what he did. He builds an exoskeleton with what he has available, and picks a whip-like weapon. Alright, I'll buy that; it gives him range and unpredictability in attacks, yadda yadda... fine. When that fails to work (and it does fail), his solution is to build a big robot suit. Alright, not the most inventive tactic to counter a man-robot like Iron Man, but okay. Against Iron Man's repulsors and missiles (ignoring War Machine's weapons because he probably didn't plan on War Machine being converted mid-fight), what weapon does he go with? Whips. Again.

I'm sorry, but not even cartoon super-villains are that dimwitted. If a strategy doesn't work the first time, attaching it to a metal suit and making the extensions slightly more powerful isn't going to make it any more effective the second time; especially considering that Iron Man would now see the whips coming. There goes your element of surprise, Vlad.

Hammer was almost offensive to listen to at times. I get that he's supposed to amount to a "Tony Stark-esque" figure representing what Stark could have been like, but he just came off as a yippy little loudmouth with too much money. I mean, he barely qualifies as a villain, given that 90% of the movie is spent with his creations either killing their pilots or under the control of the crazy Russian.

In the end, as a nerd of varying interests, I am kind of glad I saw the flick. It was nice to see Sam Jackson do more with the Fury character than just leak spoilers after the credit roll, and I didn't mind Cheadle's Rhodey as much as I thought I would have (Howard was still a better fit, I think). I just wish I could have gotten more out of the experience than some teasers for the Avengers movie, some nifty one-liners from an underused Mickey Rourke, and a bar fight conducted in a pair of super-powered metal suits.

In short, Marvel has essentially created a 2 hour advert for The Avengers and sold it.

I enjoyed the movie, however the ending really pissed me of for a few of reasons;
1. Just like in the first Iron Man, the Boss Fight (final fight) was weak and lame. In other words; it was over way to fast and it seemed to damn easy (realistically speaking Whip Man should have be pwned like a noob just for the fact that he was not covered in armour).

2. Whip Man's life should have paralleled that of Mel gibson's wife in Signs the moment he was nailed by a fucking SUV against the concreat wall during the race scene. Like I mentioned above he wasn't wearing any armour, and what he did have on only covered part of his back.

3. After the credits all I saw was a stick in the sand. Maybe it was my fault for not recognizing what it was, but at the moment I had no bloody clue what I was supposed to be seeing.

Well that it. Next movie make the boss fight longer and more epic, I was really looking forward to seeing Iron Man get the shit whipped out of him like some S&M depravity. lol.

I liked the first movie, it was great. This one I had a bit of a problem with. It was just too slow for my liking. I got bored waiting for the action to pick up. It was fantastic when it finally did, but it just took way too long to get there.

I didn't really think that the second was quite as good as the first one, the final boss fight was over pretty fast and cheaply won, and why do all the villians have to be killed off? happened in the last one too. I thought it would have been cool to see them again in later movies, I mean what if they run out of old villians? Also there were some points that seemed a bit.. much. The point when whiplash walks towards tony and the formula 1 cars kinda slide and then randomly explode? That seemed a bit much? The first one felt more together also, this was more broken up?

Alright I just watched the movie.... and there are some stuff I don't understand.

1. What was the joke in the middle of the movie? ;). Seriously I can't remember.
2. I saw the credits, I don't understand what that guy found, a stick in the sand?
3. Anyone got any nice pictures of Scarlett Johansson? xD

Can someone answer these? Thanks in advance.

xDarc:
I thought this movie was a complete dud. Too slow and clunky to keep me engaged. I felt like Bob was gonna say that this movie was the big house that the lotto winner might buy, not knowing what to do with it- because this movie was all over the place and I didn't care for it one bit. The ending with the bad guy was like, that's it? The other action scenes were also very forgettable.

I think people only like it because it's iron man and because of all the references to titillate nerd boners.

When you strip it down, it's just a poorly written film that's a vehicle to pimp the marvel universe. Even Bob admits the biggest conflict was with Stark's own ego and even that wasn't well done.

Biggest question with critiquing any fiction- what's at stake? What's the conflict?

Iron Man 2 says- oh... this and that...

Sucked.

Yeah, I agree with your review.....

That guy who reviews movies can't be honest tho, he has already sold out to anything that certain people release. (Let us mention Hit Girl again! Cause that's what real men care about!!)

It would have been great to hear an honest review from that one guy.... but oh well... let's just hope for more soapbox hypocrisy about weight loss, and time spent behind a tv.... ; p

In all seriousness tho: pretentious, self centered, egotistical, self centered people, who claim authority over thoughts, and opinions, are always just weak pieces of nothing.

Just like me!!

EDIT: Did I mention self-centered?

Ooo ooo oo maybe he'll fight the Uncanny Unicorn in the third movie!

I swear, that was one of the dumbest villains ever...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here