The Pocket Gamer Report: PSP, The Comeback Kid

The Pocket Gamer Report: PSP, The Comeback Kid

Like Kratos, Sony's handheld has plenty of fight left in it.

Read Full Article

I'm still confused over as to why I haven't seen a news article about the new God of War game being released...

Oh well. I'm so buying this game for my PSP. The poor thing hasn't been put to use in quite a while, I'm sure it would appreciate me playing on it.

They can thank Monster Hunter for all those PSP sales. Seriously, that game is like crack cocaine for the Japanese.

I really like them too...

I love my psp. I have a great collection of games on it. I look forward to all these big releases on it. I'm still waiting for my second analogue stick though sony...

I don't have that big a collection of games on my psp, but I still enjoy it from time to time. I do use my DS more, but as this article states there are more awesome titles coming out on psp than DS in the near future. Only thing I want on the DS now is the new Golden Sun, but there is very little info out on that.

Daystar Clarion:
They can thank Monster Hunter for all those PSP sales. Seriously, that game is like crack cocaine for the Japanese.

I really like them too...

Oh yeah! Got me digging it out too! I have to admit, love it at the moment!

I love my PSP, except I use it for everything but games virtually. That is until Crisis Core changed my opinion on what a fun game could be on it, but alas its back to movies, music, net, and occasional dust collecting lol

As the folks above, I think Monster Hunter, Crisis Core, and 30-Second Hero are the only reasons I've *seriously* played my PSP in the last couple of years.

As for the article.... Sony doesn't need to release a successor to the PSP. The PSP is still the most powerful handheld, and will be long after the 3DS (or whatever the next DS turns out to be). For profit, they just need the same level of shovelware as the DS; for 'excitement,' they need the same number of decent releases as the DS.

I suppose the other issue with the PSP is that developers have long been treating it as an underpowered PS2/3. If you treat a system as a low-powered version of the main console, your games are destined to be mediocre. They need to start working more with the merits of the system, instead of producing crappy ports of next-gen titles.

Good to hear another God of War game is coming. Quite honestly Chains of Olympus was my favourite GoW until 3 came out, hopefully they keep the trend going!

I've got custom firmware on my psp. I use it to play powder and Diablo. EVERY Day :P

*EDIT: also, NES and Sega genesis emulators.

Pocket Gamer:
…the PSPgo was a dreadful stumble by Sony…

Let me complete that thought for you:

"The PSPgo was a dreadful stumble by Sony that was pretty much demanded by a vocal gaming press and clueless shareholders."

There, much better.

didn't they have grand Turismo for the psp?

That game right there would be awesome to have on the psp because that game is so much fun.

Shadeovblack:
I've got custom firmware on my psp. I use it to play powder and Diablo. EVERY Day :P

*EDIT: also, NES and Sega genesis emulators.

The PSP has been my savior since my wife's laptop broke down. Gave me a chance to replay all those classics of yesterday. Right now I'm playing Sega CD's Snatcher, and it's everything that I expected. That and Blood Omen - Legacy of Kain.

On a side-note, how wonderful would it be if a Saturn emulator came out for the PSP? Seems like the only one left to make.

I still haven't played any Monster Hunter game xD I've been using my PSP as an MP3 player when I'm not playing the Lunar remake. I have imported a J-Date sim though, mainly because I am a pervert with no shame but to my credit, it is only rated B

The PSP's story is preety much the same as that of it's console brother, the PS3. It suffered abysmal sales upon release due to the high price and lingered behind the competition for a while. Then Sony relied on it's future potential as the technologically superior platform and it eventually cought up. So nowadays, both PS3 and the PSP are selling preety well and are increasingly gaining in their library of games.

That said, if I decide to buy a handheld, I intend to buy a DS. It has backwards GBA compatibility and it has more games that I would like to play.

Kingdom hearts came out on the ds a long time ago as did resident evil.

"The DS arguably has nothing exciting lined up." Yea, I'll definitely argue that. The Okami sequel is the only reason I'm buying a DS within the next week here. It'll be nice to go back and play all the other good DS titles as well, but the announcement of that one pushed me to make the leap. This will be my first handheld since the original Gameboy.

zombie711:
Kingdom hearts came out on the ds a long time ago as did resident evil.

Also, this. The PSP is just playing catch-up now, and it's moving much too slowly.

The real reason why Ready at Dawn had to come back to PSP is because they shamed themselves on the Wii with that awful Okami port they did. Hopefully they'll do testing on this new God of War game and make sure the controls work. You know, learn from their mistake and whatnot.

my psp gathers dust, I wouldnt trade it in tho since its got a few games I really like but the ds just has much better stuff for it, altho it suffers from much too much shovelware so that some games that are really cool kinda get missed or cant find publishers, shantae advanced, Im looking at you

"Yhe [sic] system has gone from being the whipping-boy of the videogame press to the best-selling handheld in Japan for most of 2010 and has managed to confound expectations after the dismal launch of PSPgo." - Serious typo right there. How do you not see that?

Also, of all those games, I'm really only committed to buying one of them. Square Enix has Birth by Sleep and Agito XIII coming out on the PSP, but not because the system is gaining momentum. Square Enix is such a slow studio that if you hear about a new game they're making, don't expect to be able to play it until there's a new President in office.

I was always into the DS but I got a PSP last year and I've been loving it, my DS feels weird now...

I think the PSOne library is what really gives it a lot of steam to me. But more than anything, there have been a few games which really do shine alongside their console brethren, like Crisis Core, God of War, Motorstorm, and the new SOCOM.

I do have to give kudos to Gran Turismo as well. It caught a lot of flak for not having a license mode, but when you're actually driving the cars, racing on the tracks, it's the full Gran Turismo experience and it's one of my favorite games on the machine.

Most of all, I'm just really excited for Peace Walker, they've really made it the next full Metal Gear Solid I can't wait.

so... it seems like every year the PSP has some incredible games, but the disappointments just bring it down in the press to me.

PSP OWNS!
But yes when i go shopping for PSP games...the titles are generally not that catchy...im not familiar with the specs but my guess is because its harder to make games for the psp thats why DS has ruled the handheld format...since the DS games are simple and also more childish from what ive seen...and lets face it..with pokemon....you dont need anything else :O
My sole reason for buynig a DSi XL was the damn HeartGold n SoulSilver releases.

IS GoW regarded as the best psp game? :/

I didn't enjoy it any more than the next hack'n'slash. Even Patapon tops it among other games :p

PSP is the best handheld device ever. Can't stop playing on it, I am fairly interested in the new Kingdom Hearts game, always a devout fan of the franchise.

I like the PSP though i dont think id ever buy one. The only two games I played on it that I liked were monster hunter and star wars battlefront. Another god of war title wouldnt convince me to buy one either because honestly I dont see the attraction of it afer playing gow 3.

Anyway the whole turnaround is probably due to sony sticking its bit in to try and get more games for the psp. The psp go was pretty horrible, i dont get why they even bothered its just too small and defeats the one thing I liked about the psp and that was the large screen.

Birth By Sleep is basically the reason I've kept my PSP at this point. Crisis Core ended up being really good though, and Peace Walker looks fun too.

Playing classic FFs on the road is fun as well to be honest.

Yeah the PSP has plenty of fight left in it, minus that dead man walking iteration of it, the PSP Go

PayJ567:
I love my psp. I have a great collection of games on it. I look forward to all these big releases on it. I'm still waiting for my second analogue stick though sony...

Yep, I'm not going to buy one until they release it with 2 sticks. I traded in a psp2000 because it was next to impossible to play without the second stick.

Sony had massive balls to release the Go. They are very innavative Eye Toy (hate it or love it started this whole Wii, Kinect etc fad) and its only time til disc are a thing of the past on all consoles! I love my psp and use it daily as an mp3 but also as a console, very very underated and just infinately better in my opinion than doing sums on a touch screen and playing a 10 year old mario game! The 3ds can also F off. I really believe that nintendo handhelds where amazing before the ds

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here