View from the Road: The WoW Cataclysm Cometh

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

View from the Road: The WoW Cataclysm Cometh

Once Cataclysm drops, there's no going back to the old Azeroth.

Read Full Article

I too felt a kind of sadness about the old world getting blown up. I've spent a long time there doing painful questing and grinding, but I've spent so much time doing that that I can identify almost every tiny place by a lone screenshot.

Still, I'm excited for the new areas, many of them look pretty rockin'.

Also: Going back for Loremaster was a brutal project. I think I may have been insane at the time I did it.

At least they're keeping the best part of the Shimmering Flats: the racing!

I agree, Funk. It was pretty difficult looking at the screenshots. Even though I haven't played since Vanilla, I still found myself kinda sad to see it all go.

Lauren Admire:

Sorry, but the best part of the Shimmering Flats was the bright, stark beauty of the landscape.

I will admit I'll be sad to see the old world go for good. I understand and support their reasons for it but it does show one of the problems of Gaming in that we have no history to go back too. Its an industry that is constantly trying to replace (and destroy) whats come before.

@John Funk. Go for Dwarf Shaman. You get the awesomeness of the Dwarves combined with the coolness of the Shamans. Also, the world has too many rogues.

I know im not a WoW player but, I can imagine how it will feel...never be the same again...I am dubious about it

Plinglebob:

Lauren Admire:

Sorry, but the best part of the Shimmering Flats was the bright, stark beauty of the landscape.

Oh, it was pretty. My main beef with the place were those wretched basilisks. They killed me so.many.times.

I will definitely miss the old world, partially since it carries such nostalgic value... Barrens will never be the same...

Also since the entire game has been so carebeared, but that is another thread.

Ctaclysm will either be excellent and make us forget about vanilla once and for all or be a disappointment like spore and make us forget WoW once and for all.
I too feel sad about the end of azeroth as we know it. Its not only the 5 years of wow, I feel like even the places were we commanded armies in Wacraft 1, 2 and 3 will be gone.
I have to say tho that by the looks of it, the aspect changes but the engine remains the same apparently and to be honest, a game with an engine from around 2000 (maybe even older) despite only released as beta in 2004, and that we payed a significant amount of money already, is asking for a new engine.

Meanwhile I am leveling a mage, a hunter and a warlock, as were the classes I enjoyed most leveling before, 5 to 3 years ago.

On new expansion, male human hunter. Finally humans will get it. Humans had ranged since warcarft 1. I always found unfair they didnt have the class before in WoW. Specially because humans have been warlocks in WoW and were never warlocks in the RTS's. And before someone says they didnt have pets (the archers), neither had any of the other rangers, only night elves had a scouting owl not used to fight.

They need some caverns of time quests that take you back to the old zones and let you re-do some of the old quests with a twist.

Vitor Goncalves:
Ctaclysm will either be excellent and make us forget about vanilla once and for all or be a disappointment like spore and make us forget WoW once and for all.
I too feel sad about the end of azeroth as we know it. Its not only the 5 years of wow, I feel like even the places were we commanded armies in Wacraft 1, 2 and 3 will be gone.
I have to say tho that by the looks of it, the aspect changes but the engine remains the same apparently and to be honest, a game with an engine from around 2000 (maybe even older) despite only released as beta in 2004, and that we payed a significant amount of money already, is asking for a new engine.

Meanwhile I am leveling a mage, a hunter and a warlock, as were the classes I enjoyed most leveling before, 5 to 3 years ago.

On new expansion, male human hunter. Finally humans will get it. Humans had ranged since warcarft 1. I always found unfair they didnt have the class before in WoW. Specially because humans have been warlocks in WoW and were never warlocks in the RTS's. And before someone says they didnt have pets (the archers), neither had any of the other rangers, only night elves had a scouting owl not used to fight.

Blizzard using a new engine would be shooting themselves in the foot. Part of the reason their games are so successful is because they can run on machines that are frankly ancient.

Vitor Goncalves:

Kel'Thuzad was a demonologist as well as a necromancer. Almost* the entire Scourge was allied to the Legion for all of RoC.

*except for Arthas, who set Tichondrius to be killed and the aforementioned Kel'Thuzad, who was loyal to Arthas and nobody else.

Can't wait after seeing some of the changes, as a former Alliance now Horde Death Knight (Horde4Life Funk) i'm doing Loremaster at the moment to make sure I don't miss out on anything that other people have experience as leveling for Horde, but really, I can't wait for the new quests, the new Battlegrounds (no more forced Arena for the best PvP gear, wewt), new dungeons and new zones.

I only saw a few screenshots to convince myself its gonna be awesome, I want to save most of the "Wonder" for when Cataclysm is released.

John Funk:
Blizzard using a new engine would be shooting themselves in the foot. Part of the reason their games are so successful is because they can run on machines that are frankly ancient.

Indeed it is, I know many players who run WoW on rather old PCs and do so smoothly, albeit on lower graphic settings. I still think it's rather impressive what this engine can squeeze out of an old PC, doubly so for the newer zones.

@OT, I'm actually making time next weekend to run through all the zones to make a bunch of screenshots of my favourite places (many of them my old fishing spots). I'll make a collage and hang it over my pc when I'm installing Cataclysm!

John Funk:
Or I could just pour out a mug of Thunderbrew Ale for all of my gnomies.

Ahahaha! Awesome! That made my day!

I feel like I should level grind in the barrens one last time before It goes. I mean I've done it like 10 times now and I always bitch about it. But I will miss it when it's gone.

All i see is lest cost to us development style, with all the cash shop mounts and reused content going on i dont see how anyone can still enjoy WoW, maybe i am just asking for too much or i am just a cheap person that wont spand money onless i get the most for it, but still..............

Ive seen some of the screenshots and to be perfectly honest none of the new stuff looks particularly awesome - it's as if I've seen it all before. WoW graphics aren't technically that great and all it has going for it is its charm, but the new areas don't look that charming to me. Can't judge a game by leaked screenshots but at this point, that is how i feel. I'll probably try it out when it comes around, i cant wait to roll a Worgen Druid. Or a Worgen Warlock. Or a Worgen Mage. The heck with it, roll a Worgen Everything.

ionveau:
All i see is lest cost to us development style, with all the cash shop mounts and reused content going on i dont see how anyone can still enjoy WoW, maybe i am just asking for too much or i am just a cheap person that wont spand money onless i get the most for it, but still..............

All the cash shop mounts and reused content?

You mean the one cash shop mount and the one dungeon that they brought from Classic to WotLK because no one ran it? Pretty much everything else is completely from the ground up, you know.

We enjoy it because it's an amazing game, and it frankly only got better with time.

I feel a bit sad hearing old Azeroth go too, this game has been a part of my life since I was about nine. But I must admit, the change is good. The game is starting to look old, so the changes done are amazing.

When I heard Cataclysm was coming out, I went out and got the Explorer achievement...

Also John, my vote goes to Goblin Rogue.

I'm an ex wow player and seeing the new screens made me want to play again but I've vowed never to return to Azeroth. It did bad things to me, especially my sleep schedule.

That being said its very tempting.

Its coming out towards the beginning of my first year of college however and there is no chance I will miss out on that for WoW.

Also no, there is no nostalgia in the barrens, only nightmares.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff, but I've given up on Loremaster - 2 quests from it in Blade's Edge and 1 quest from it in Nagrand, no more Alliance quests in Blade's Edge, bugged quest in Nagrand. It's a shame, really. Still, the new stuff's looking really nice, can't wait for it.

Also, my guild has a plan - we're gonna reroll on the new RP PvP server they HAVE to bring in, quickly level to 55 and then make a pack of Worgen Death Knights. I just want to say that again. A PACK of Worgen Death Knights. Bring on Cataclysm.

John Funk:

ionveau:

All the cash shop mounts and reused content?

You mean the one cash shop mount and the one dungeon that they brought from Classic to WotLK because no one ran it? Pretty much everything else is completely from the ground up, you know.

We enjoy it because it's an amazing game, and it frankly only got better with time.

I respect your view and opinions.

Goblin Rogue John!!

For the Horde!! (except Garrosh... fuck him)

But, I find myself wanting to get the exploration and loremaster titles now... So many memories in the old world... soon to be nothing more than.... *sniff*

Well, I'll still be around for the changes, whether or not I approve of the removal of some of that delightful nostalgia.

Being an Ex-WoW player who played from beta up until a year ago, i have to say all of this looks really good, not enough to make me come back though but that being said i share the bite of sadness with what i knew and enjoyed for so long changing into something else almost like a butterfly's transformation (that might be a tad over poetic :P).

hey funk, whats your take on the whole 10mans and 25mans sharing a lockout and dropping the same loots now? personally i think its a great way to prevent burning out and quitting / taking a break from the game.

ryuke2009:
hey funk, whats your take on the whole 10mans and 25mans sharing a lockout and dropping the same loots now? personally i think its a great way to prevent burning out and quitting / taking a break from the game.

I think it's a great idea in concept, though I'm wary of some potential issues. Now, if only 20 people continue to the continuation of my guild's 25-man run, we can run two 10-mans. What will we do in this situation where we're all locked into one raid and have no alternatives?

That said, I think that the current state where people are encouraged to run the same instance twice every week isn't the best one.

To celebrate the change of Azeroth, I'm going for Loremaster on a second character once I get him to 80 so that I can experience all the zones again. Should allow me to better appreciate all the alterations once Cataclysm rolls around.

John Funk:

ryuke2009:

I think it's a great idea in concept, though I'm wary of some potential issues. Now, if only 20 people continue to the continuation of my guild's 25-man run, we can run two 10-mans. What will we do in this situation where we're all locked into one raid and have no alternatives?

That said, I think that the current state where people are encouraged to run the same instance twice every week isn't the best one.

of i am not mistaking, blizzard is considering having us be able to toggle between 10 and 25man, just like heroic and normal modes. but nothing is finalized just yet.

I've been thinking of getting my WoW account back just to see the old world before it changes.

WoW was a big part of my life.

Its also the reason I type so damn quick.

The changes coming to Cataclysm are enough to make me want to return (the news of the new Balance Druid exploding mushroom spell is...well, it's fairly awesome). The fact that the world is changing doesn't really affect me all that much, since I didn't get all that attached to the old world. I found myself using a lot of zones that aren't being changed when I leveled toward Outlands. Even so, I'll admit that the changes to Ashenvale make me a little upset, being a Night Elf and all.

At the same time, I feel like our time in Northrend has made the factions soft, and far too willing to cooperate with one another. It'll be nice to see the old Horde v Alliance struggle kick off again.

LockeDown:
The changes coming to Cataclysm are enough to make me want to return (the news of the new Balance Druid exploding mushroom spell is...well, it's fairly awesome). The fact that the world is changing doesn't really affect me all that much, since I didn't get all that attached to the old world. I found myself using a lot of zones that aren't being changed when I leveled toward Outlands. Even so, I'll admit that the changes to Ashenvale make me a little upset, being a Night Elf and all.

At the same time, I feel like our time in Northrend has made the factions soft, and far too willing to cooperate with one another. It'll be nice to see the old Horde v Alliance struggle kick off again.

mushroom landmines....its just freaken WIN man lol

I quit WoW. Enjoyed it while it lasted, but it was time to go. I'm interested in the new content, but I'm not sure the reasons I quit will be addressed. It is hard to say why I lost interest, it was when Warhammer Online came out, right at the start of WotLK, and WoW was getting, I don't know, a little too easy--that's not quite it, but it is like that. It had become bland.

I'm not going to miss it, really. Even though my last trek through Old World was done with Recruit-A-Friend, I still couldn't get out of Old World fast enough. It was a grating experience.

Now that everything is getting explodified and I may be in Europe by the time the Expac hits, I'll be glad to roll another character to see what they've improved along the way.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here