Review: Nier

Pages PREV 1 2

I was excited for this a while back and by watching gameplay, I can't understand why people only give it "okay" reviews.

It seems like something I'd thoroughly enjoy, so I'll pick it up myself.

But only when the price goes down. I hardly ever pay full price for games anymore.

my god a game called kidney in dutch!?
anyway interesting review will probably never play it (no consoles here)

A game that opens up with Laura Bailey calling be a little bitch?

this game, I must haz it

sanzo:

this game, I must haz it

Kaine is calling the book a little bitch... not the main character. And it's about halfway through in the actual game, though the devs did put it in before you press start.

s69-5:

sanzo:

this game, I must haz it

Kaine is calling the book a little bitch... not the main character. And it's about halfway through in the actual game, though the devs did put it in before you press start.

Either way, it's cool. Laura Bailey is one of my favorite VAs, so her being in the game is an immediate plus

Mstrswrd:
You should mention, however, that that the chick who swears while wearing (only) her underwear has a penis.

Although I was aware of this fact, and it certainly makes some her actions make a little more sense, this fact was not mentioned or *gasp* shown in the game.

I think this was dumbed-down a bit for the American version, which reinforces the calculated feel of the whole game.

Bennet the sage mentioned this game a bit ago. He made it sound like a fairly good game but he said the writing is hard to understand. Which I would have added the game to my list if not for that nugget. Everything else in the game sounded pretty good. It's very long though. I'm thinking this game would be territory for jrpg gamers. People outside the circle may not like it so much.

Greg Tito:

Mstrswrd:
You should mention, however, that that the chick who swears while wearing (only) her underwear has a penis.

Although I was aware of this fact, and it certainly makes some her actions make a little more sense, this fact was not mentioned or *gasp* shown in the game.

I think this was dumbed-down a bit for the American version, which reinforces the calculated feel of the whole game.

It is if you start playing Ending B.

meh not a big fan, glad i rented instead of bought

Possibly minor spoilers:

Flauros:
Is it me, or does it actually sound pretty awesome?

Each dungeon represents a different gametype, including a farming sim and a text adventure?

Buti guess teh same combos over and over would get kind of boring...

Not just you....the review totally sold me on this game I was going to overlook. Between the lines I am reading "jaded reviewer misses a sense of greatness due to burnout/playing game at the wrong time." Or at least I hope so, because everything Nier was described as sounds really, really interesting to me. Much more so than other recent ventures in to the genre.

So, the sexy, half-nekkid bitch's not gonna cut it, huh? Must be really boring then, indeed.

Next.

You know what? I like this precedent. A JRPG that plays as the opposite of FFXIII. Sounds like a step in the right direction, one I've been waiting for since freakin' Vagrant Story.

This is one of those baffling medium production value games, that you just know will flop from day 1.
Even the commercial whores at IGN and gamespot gave this game only a mediocre score, which illustrates how bad the game really is.

Cannot help but wonder why the publisher and the devs just go ahead and publish the game in such state anyway, instead of doing the sensible thing of cancelling it in the early development stage or atleast correct it's course halfway.
Apart from the graphics and lame ass story, many of it's flaws don't sound too hard to both point out and fix during development.

veloper:
Cannot help but wonder why the publisher and the devs just go ahead and publish the game in such state anyway...

Probably because it has been cheap enough to justify a release anyway.

I got this game if only because it's one of the few JRPGs that held my attention past 5 seconds. While I haven't gotten too far into the game (stuck on trying to get to the highest house in Aerie), I can say that for what it is, it isn't bad. Lacking, yes, but not bad. Nier's character kinda contradicts himself (the instruction manual says he's all gentle and benevolent, yet he sounds really gruff and impatient), and all the female characters seem to look the same. But at least the music is cool and the fights are kinda fun (except against the goats and boars... god tier just like the cuckoos from Zelda).

Varewulf:
Possibly minor spoilers:

Anyway, anyone who is considering buying it, just go and buy it now. Consider this an order.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here