Zero Punctuation: Nier

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I'll pick it up down the line. Sounds up my alley.

As previously stated in the LAST review of this game, this doesnt sound that bad. Even yahtzee said "meh" instead of shitstorm. Since most games are shitstorms, i think ill give this game a try. Yes, its probably tiring or something.....but it has some very unusual....varieties, which is good, which youll find if you try to look some of the characters up. very....new character types....

not that anyones going to read this 5 pages in

Also, "Alright, I'm declaring this a boosh-free zone."

so it sounds like he liked it... or as close to like as something gets thats not psychonauts or portal or something by sudo 51

Huh, i was expecting him to rip the shit out of it. Yet he calls it "above average"? Yikes.

Thanks a bunch for putting a smile on my face after a long Wednesday!

I wasn't really impressed with the look of this game on the video review that was on the Xbox 360 dashboard, looked kind of lame to me but after seeing Yahtzee had a little bit of praise for it i might rent it just to see what it's like.

I love how someone or people are Criticizing him lol.

I loved the Play on words at the end.

Well Yahtzee, since you got so excited over this game for slipping in under the radar, try Metro 2033, you just might like it since I do recall you kinda liked Salker: Clear Skies and Metro 2033 is known for being very similar.

I've been looking forward to Yahtzee reviewing a game that no one has ever heard of. So this made my day.

O man, I was hoping Yahtzee would know about the localization they did with this game. They actually changed the main character of the game between the Japanese version of the game. He is an angysty teenager in the Japanese version, but they decided to change that as it wouldn't "Appeal" to western players. Something I actually agree with.

http://kotaku.com/5535289/young-nier-appears-in-the-world-of-recycled-vessel

If I recall, the game actually does poke fun at the characters and how they dress. I remember seeing one scene that pokes fun at the woman for fighting in her underwear.

Bayushi_Kouya:
Anyone else get a nonworking video screen?

I did, but I realised I was in private mode and just signed in and it loaded up fine, so I guess it just needs a refresh sometimes.

Isn't this made by the people who made Drakengard? If the what the fuck levels are anywhere near that game's level it might be worth checking out. Of course Drakengard has the glaring problem of having the most boring gameplay so I'm a bit skeptical.

So is "not complete hatred" from Yahtzee considered a positive review?
That is the vibes I am getting.

Funnily enough he IS a scrawny prepubescent in the Japanese version, and the girl is his sister instead of his daughter. And they changed him into a scowly buff dude for the Western release.

It can be interpreted as either smart or incredibly xenophobic.

The whatnow game?

"But it's flown completely under the radar. I asked everyone I knew, and neither of them had heard of it, either."

Dude, after opening the bar/pub, I expect you'd have increased your friend count by at least 50%.

So, basically, Yahtzee can only describe Nier by doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM9tyNkUAg

IT HAD TO BE DONE! DON'T HIT ME!

lockgar:
O man, I was hoping Yahtzee would know about the localization they did with this game. They actually changed the main character of the game between the Japanese version of the game. He is an angysty teenager in the Japanese version, by the decided to change that as it wouldn't "Appeal" to western players. Something I actually agree with.

http://kotaku.com/5535289/young-nier-appears-in-the-world-of-recycled-vessel

If I recall, the game actually does poke fun at the characters and how they dress. I remember seeing one scene that pokes fun at the woman for fighting in her underwear.

MpSai:
Funnily enough he IS a scrawny prepubescent in the Japanese version, and the girl is his sister instead of his daughter. And they changed him into a scowly buff dude for the Western release.

It can be interpreted as either smart or incredibly xenophobic.

Read the thread please.

The original is the one we got (Nier:Gestalt for the Japanese 360)
The other look is a Japan PS3 only alteration called Nier: Replicant.

Again, the character we got in the West IS the original. Get it straight.

Armored Prayer:
Haha, that bit with naming him Twattycake made my day.

Great work as always.

agreed, seeing "twattycake" made me literally lol

I almost suspect he has been reading the forums, noticing the large amount of praise for Zelda games and decided to take them down a peg or two. If so I am very amused.

I also like the terrible Nier death experience joke because of the "boosh!" afterwards.

I didn't see nier coming, just like the robin hood movie, it just came out of nowhere and i knew it was carap the second i saw it. Actually i had to reconsider Nier as it's a sQuare eniX game.

Trivia, nier is dutch for kidney

Thanks erana for the link!

Looks like I got 33 videos to watch (hope to god I don't go insane, yaaaaaaaaaay)!

Tonimata:
So, basically, Yahtzee can only describe Nier by doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM9tyNkUAg

IT HAD TO BE DONE! DON'T HIT ME!

Crack knuckles....Oh you so going to get it.

"The funny thing is...I had that in my other tab."

s69-5:

But then again if you look at the sales of Gestalt and Replicant, it was a smart decision to alter the main character for sales in Japan. So in a way, Replicant has become the primary model. And don't bring about the PS3 has more consoles in Japan because regardless, Replicant would have sold more if released on both consoles.

Did I just spot an ILLBLEED reference in those credits?

It seems that ILLBLEED should be added to my list of things that stalk me wherever I go. By the way, has anyone seen my Jimmy?

Zork, wow, that brings back memories

Sounds like a game that should have never been made. I wonder if the first game you went in the store for would have been a better buy.

Stilton:

L1250:
The actually masculine character design for the main character that seems odd for a Square game was apparently designed for the sole purpose of the non-Japan release.

See this, this right here, is incorrect information. The "grizzled old man" is the original character design, whereas the effeminate prettyboy was created later on, in order to appease the japanese audience.

I hadn't heard that. I assumed it was the other way around, in which case Yahtzees' comment would be quite ironic.

A....A....A JRPG that Yahtzee kinda liked?!
EVERYONE IN THE BOMB SHELTER!!!

OT: Great review Yahtzee. That pun at the end choking on my own laughs.

cursedseishi:
Thanks erana for the link!

Looks like I got 33 videos to watch (hope to god I don't go insane, yaaaaaaaaaay)!

Don't do it!
If you must satiate your curiousity, drink an unhealthy amount of alcohol, watch the last video, and hope you pass out during your watching it.
Also, bring a blindfolded friend; when intoxicated, it is best to have someone nearby to make sure you're breathing, hydrated, etc. Drinking too much is dangerous!

hahaha I love a good pun!
Nice one, Yahtzee :)

Jeffrey Jambu:

s69-5:

But then again if you look at the sales of Gestalt and Replicant, it was a smart decision to alter the main character for sales in Japan. So in a way, Replicant has become the primary model. And don't bring about the PS3 has more consoles in Japan because regardless, Replicant would have sold more if released on both consoles.

No argument there.
I have a PS3 myself. ;)

I'm also an advertiser so I understand the impact of target demographics and focus groups

Strong Intelligent:
The pun at the end was the best thing ever to grace to universe. Seriously.

The boosh thing seemed like it was from Frisky Dingo.... Hm....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here