Rebecca Mayes Muses: The Monster

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Monster

Rebecca ponders the baddies we love to hate.

Your wait for Rebecca Mayes's first album, The Epic Win, is over! Releasing worldwide on May 28, Rebecca is excited to offer exclusive early access to her beloved fans at The Escapist. Visit this special link now to be the first to purchase the new release!

Be sure to join Rebecca Mayes Muses Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Yay! A new song! Looks like this one isn't about one game either.

Typically I'm not a big fan of these songs, but this one was really very good. It all just seemed to blend together so well that I wanted to (and am) listen to it a second time.

Great job!

Pills_Here:
Yay! A new song! Looks like this one isn't about one game either.

It'll probably be the last for now, she announced on her blog that this would be a trilogy reflecting games in general, all titles starting with the letter M (Mirror, Machine and Monster).

On topic: Bloody hell yes. Some baddies in games are just epic. Ocelot, Liquid, Saren, Albert Wesker, the Joker, the Helghast, Bowser and I'm probably forgetting dozens more, I think they deserve an equal amount of attention as the protagonists.

Thanks for the lovely song, Rebecca!

I've always found some of the best games the ones that make some sort of effort to define and illuminate the "Monsters." They may still be monstrous but when your finger is held back from pulling the trigger even for a fraction of a second longer it often makes for a better experience.

Brilliant! Well, OK, I found the lyrics too ...something... for my liking. But that one gripe aside, this was one of the best videos I've seen in a while. Just seeing the hundred snapshots from the process of one person pouring their all into making a song, and where all the little sound samples that built into the whole thing came from. It really connected, seeing somebody build up the whole experience in their own wee living room, no professional studio, no other musicians; just one girl and her creation.

That was...different.

I don't why, but your singing really reminded me of Joe Walsh during the chorus (from me this is a compliment)

I don't really have anything else to say. It was really, really good.

Hello. Look, this isn't hate mail or anything of the like, and I'm not sure if Rebecca Muse reads these comments (but am hoping she does, this is directed to her). I really enjoy the fact that Rebecca writes her own music and lyrics. I realize it must be very difficult to do this task, especially so regularily. But I have to say some creative criticism. I find that the song's each have a similiar sound. And I am not saying thats a totally bad thing...but I feel that they are getting bland and uninspired when that is probably not the case. The style of writing, the sound of the music...even the beat and tempo seem to match the previous song far too much and far too often (and I mean that down the line..not just this song). I personally would love to see Rebecca put her hand into a different genre of sound every once in awhile, just to shake things up.

I'm not trying to say the quality is not there...not looking for a flame war either. It's just my opinion, and its something I have been thinking about saying for awhile. I like the concept, I like the writing...not a big fan of this song mind you, but mirrors was a great song with a message full of depth. Must be hard to create quality every other week, but in the spirit of creative criticism, this is my view. I hope Rebecca takes salt in it and tries some unique and creative sounds in the future...that is all.

New song!

I enjoyed this song again, it isn't the best, but it's a nice song while you are working and just to calm you down.

I can't wait for the album, btw. I'm still not sure if I would buy it (or if I can considering my location), but I'll see if I can buy it.

I see you were a Nintendo 64 baby as well haha.
Nice singing bowl btw!

Loving the beat on this one!
And thank you for putting a song in my head, the Thomas the tank engine theme was starting to get on my nerves =] Now i can hum something else at work!

Beautiful. An interesting twist, as well: It's not about a single game, but a conceptual archetype prevalent throughout almost all games. It reminds me of one of my favorite things about the Paper Mario games: They humanize the enemy races, giving them homes, personalities, and identities beyond mobile obstacles.

In short, thumbs up. :)

Gotta say the best thing about Rebecca's songs is that moment when you actually start listening (instead of just hearing it) and it all falls into place.

Totally epic.

Samcanuck:
I'm not sure if Rebecca Muse reads these comments...I hope Rebecca takes salt in it and tries some unique and creative sounds in the future...that is all.

Hello, I hear you. I'm planning something very different for next time, at least I hope it will be, we'll see how it boils. My accordion and banjo are getting a bit worn out (but they look so good). I've found that most artists have certain melodic tendencies and there's a limit to where one brain can go. Maybe I'll ask you all to contribute a melody to me and I'll have a little melody store. What genres would you like to hear?

Time for me to express my opinion!

Another sub par song.

Maybe hire a producer, and try spending more time writing. But if the idea is to make 100 verse chorus verse songs with next to no chord progression, you are doing just fine.

I thought that the song was breath takingly beautiful. Surprising just how many instuments you managed to put in the song and to all blend so well together. I really like this one. Keep up this fantastic work.

Rebecca Mayes:

Samcanuck:
I'm not sure if Rebecca Muse reads these comments...I hope Rebecca takes salt in it and tries some unique and creative sounds in the future...that is all.

Hello, I hear you. I'm planning something very different for next time, at least I hope it will be, we'll see how it boils. My accordion and banjo are getting a bit worn out (but they look so good). I've found that most artists have certain melodic tendencies and there's a limit to where one brain can go. Maybe I'll ask you all to contribute a melody to me and I'll have a little melody store. What genres would you like to hear?

First off...thank you for taking the time to reply. I enjoy your work and appreciate the effort you put into your craft.

I understand what you are saying about musicians and a certain tendancy towards music. However, many bands attempt different avenues as they progress. Take the Beatles and how there music varies in later albums to implemented more far eastern sounds. How about how band's such as the Gorilla's attempt to have a different genre of music depending on who they use as a lead singer (be it rock, pop, hiphop or ethnic (typically spanish)). The point is, I feel you are more than capable and creative enough to find different avenues of sound, and are only held back by what you limit yourself to. (mind you I don't know you, but thats the feeling I get, mad respect for free spirits).

I wouldn't mind hearing a sound closer to rock music. I enjoy the harmonics of folk...but the energy of rock is hard not to get caught up in. I personally am not a musician, but give a listen to the latest Metric Album...each song has a unique sound and are well written songs. It may be right up your alley.

Cheers

Rebecca Mayes:
Maybe I'll ask you all to contribute a melody to me and I'll have a little melody store. What genres would you like to hear?

As beautiful as folk can be to capture heartfelt lyrics, I have to agree with Samcanuck - it's very hard not to get grabbed by the scruff and taken for a ride when it comes to rock.

I love your work, and the energy and passion you put into what you do. Don't be afraid to try and change things up a bit.

Just my two coppers.

Mixed feelings about this one, as the song kept going it became better and better with every second.

And I am glad to hear the Escapist gets early access to your albums, I was hoping there would be a releasedate. Take you for entertaining us with your talents, our beloved hippie!

Rebecca Mayes:

Samcanuck:

Maybe I'll ask you all to contribute a melody to me and I'll have a little melody store. What genres would you like to hear?

Make whatever sounds and genres you personally like. I'd rather hear a song that the artist likes to sing/make instead of a song they were forced into making due to some constraint.

By all means try something new to see if you like it, but please don't compromise yourself. If New Folk is the genre you enjoy the most, it should be where you spend the most time. :)

Nice one Rebecca! Your very skilled to be able to do songs like this.

Hehe! Epic as always! Love your music Rebecca!

This was tops, but I think it will be nice to see her attack a more focused subject.
Love the voice.

I wonder what she ment by putting in the "its not going so well..." bit...?

hmm..?

Kuliani:

Rebecca Mayes:

Samcanuck:

Make whatever sounds and genres you personally like. I'd rather hear a song that the artist likes to sing/make instead of a song they were forced into making due to some constraint.

By all means try something new to see if you like it, but please don't compromise yourself. If New Folk is the genre you enjoy the most, it should be where you spend the most time. :)

Well yeah, I do indeed spend most time in new folk, that's what flows natural like. It is fun to try new genres and a lot more scary. Did you rock lovers hear my Rock Star song for guitarhero? Writing that song nearly killed me. I'm thinking about making a rock track for Yahtzee, it's that or a love-ballad.

What I noticed making the video for The Monster is how angry I look when I'm recording. It's my concentrating face.

:D my favorite song so far. If this is on the album it may convince me to buy it

*edit: and then i just looked but unfortunely no :( ah well, might buy it still

I believe that is the first vid where you see Rebecca at work, with no one else in the video to break the focus. Keep it up! Hope you make more critical songs like the M trilogy!

Harmondale2:

hmm..?

Yeah, was wondering that too. Maybe stressed about working on those songs?

Rebecca Mayes:

Kuliani:

Rebecca Mayes:

Samcanuck:

Well yeah, I do indeed spend most time in new folk, that's what flows natural like. It is fun to try new genres and a lot more scary. Did you rock lovers hear my Rock Star song for guitarhero? Writing that song nearly killed me. I'm thinking about making a rock track for Yahtzee, it's that or a love-ballad.

What I noticed making the video for The Monster is how angry I look when I'm recording. It's my concentrating face.

For me you didn't look angry, you looked... well, focusing intently on what you were doing. As you said, concentration.

As for my 2 cents, try out songs with music similar to the maestro Ronald Jenkees:

Keep in mind it's just a sample of the range of music the man creates. Click on the video and see the related links on youtube to experience more from him. I'm not a musician and his music inspires me nonetheless.

Just check out his stuff and see if it helps you in making more original tunes, OK? I hope your album sells like hot cakes and that you get motivated to produce even more quality work! :-)

Huh.

When you said you have a monster on your back, I was surprised you didn't put any footage of a Jockey on a survivors back in L4D2.

Any who good song.

Rebecca Mayes:

Kuliani:

Rebecca Mayes:

Samcanuck:

I'm sorry, I never really noticed that you looked angry all that much. But its all a portrait about the message and emotion you are trying to get across to us in your songs, correct? Nothing wrong with that at all...it's the unique idea that there is a flip side to every coin, especially in respect to the antagonist. One sided views can breed anger and heavy thought in the minority that see things differently, so its all good as far as how I take it. :)

I did infact like the Rockstar song. I also feel that a rock song for Yahtzee would be what I'd most likely wish to hear...keeping in tune with his present intro song. I take him as far too edgy to be anything less than energy based electric guitar (but that could be simply what I am used to).

Good luck to you in that endevour.

Harmondale2:

hmm..?

See the song is not just about monsters in games but having an internal monster, like an internal bully, that you have to learn to live with. That's why I made the video about the recording process because I always have to fight my monster in order to create, and my monster is always very critical about how well it is going. So that last little bit is the sweet voice of monstrousness itself. I only noticed it when I was going through my footage and thought well, darn it, that is the very thing this song is about.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about or I'm the only one living with monsters?

We all live with monsters. I've suffered from clinical social phobia and self esteem issues since I was twelve and its had a pretty major impact on my life. Its important to remember though we are not defined by our demons. They are not who we are, they are what gets in the way of us being who we are.

Holy son of a [expletive]! PERSONA 4!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Mayes, you are quite an amazing woman

...oh yeah, lovely song by the way, as usual...

Rebecca Mayes:

Harmondale2:

hmm..?

See the song is not just about monsters in games but having an internal monster, like an internal bully, that you have to learn to live with. That's why I made the video about the recording process because I always have to fight my monster in order to create, and my monster is always very critical about how well it is going. So that last little bit is the sweet voice of monstrousness itself. I only noticed it when I was going through my footage and thought well, darn it, that is the very thing this song is about.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about or I'm the only one living with monsters?

Hello :) I get what you mean and I think the song conveys that feeling. I tend to be very self-critical, and the anxiety that produces can certainly feel pretty monstrous at times. It's always there like a pesky gremlin, heh. Anyway, nice song! I liked it.

*gasp* Album! *orders*

I prolly spam all the video threads with the same drivel, but - awesome tune, very well done and I look forward to the next one :D

awesome song as always, just bought the album and I think every single person who likes music in any shape or form should, really impressed with your work, keep going and believe in yourself!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here