Critical Miss: #1

Pages PREV 1 2 3

This looks good.

Oh Hell yes! I've been waiting for this ever since the contest!

This won!?
I'd hate to see the losers.

army of 2 was the best out of the first set

I'd like to critique the artwork a little bit, if that's ok?

It's pretty good, for the most part. I like the design for the main character. The colors are quite nice. It's just in a couple parts that it falters - like the panel on the subway. It doesn't "read" very well, with the, I guess, goth kid standing in front of lady (as far as I can tell?) And then Erin's hamster(?) friend just seems to suddenly appear in the last panel. But then again, I really like the first panel - the pattern of shadow and light is great.

So anyway, despite my nitpicks, it's generally good. And it is the first installment, after all - I'm sure it'll tighten up in future ones.

EBHughsThe1st:
This won!?
I'd hate to see the losers.

I'm pretty amazed at the number of people who seem to find it funny. I'm hoping that it is just because they had to get the introduction out of the way and that the subsequent stuff will be funnier. I'm also mighty suspicious of the title "Critical Miss", which sounds like a cynical attempt to exploit the "novelty" of a female actually being an expert on the subject videogames.
"Oh wow...a girl?...who is...a game critic?" What next? "Single Female Lawyer"?

I miss Out of Tens. It was a good comic.

You can tell this is the beginning of a great series. ^_^

Permission to use this on a blog?

You know, videogame comics may have been done to death but a videogame journalism comic strikes me as unique and full of potential. Definitely going to keep an eye on this one, nice concept!

Heh, I have a new phrase to randomly shout when in a crowded area..."OH FUCK YEAH! DONUTS!"

That line right there gives this comic tons of potential, I await eagerly for the next one :)

I've been waiting for this comic to start! I just got a gig writing for a video game website and this comic looks awesome.
I'm glad it won, if the people working on this can make the new strips as awesome as the ones shown for the contest then I will officially become a fanboy.

GL.Za:
Permission to use this on a blog?

Honestly mate I'd rather you linked back to the Escapist website rather than posted the image directly. Page views are one of the ways we figure out how well the comic is doing.

Also. 3D dot heroes is amazing. Check this out.

DONUTS!

Please post the Army of Two one again. I nearly died last time :)

hopeneverdies:

Podunk:
...As a random aside, I'd also like to say I liked the old title better. Out of Tens amused me, because (obviously) it's a reference to the common magazine practice of rating games 1-10, and doubly so because given the context of the comment, it brings to mind 'Ten Out of Tens', which a lot of the less palatable magazines dole out excessively and of course the protagonist's web site would too. Critical Miss just makes me think of tabletop games, which don't really have anything to do with the comic. I appreciate a good pun more than the next guy, but it just seems off. Was there a particular reason for the name change?

Someone figured out on page 1.
Critical Miss

Critical. Miss.

Critic. Miss.

Miss Critic
Does that help?

Uh... no?

As I said in my original post, I get the pun. It just seems like a weaker title. You wouldn't name a comic about the glamorous world of fashion "Boom, Headshot", because that's a reference to First-Person Shooters and it creates implications that don't match the work. Models have 'headshots'. That is a thing. The chick is a critic. That is also a thing. But the former doesn't have anything to do with FPS, and the latter has nothing to do with tabletop gaming. Do you understand what I mean?

Woo! Looking forward to reading more, Grey. This is Bevvie's lilmoomoo, BTW.

This comic is more like a critical HIT!
aaaah? See what I did there? Positive spin. I but you the internet are used to seeing the total opposite of that spin. :)

It's quite an old joke, but that's why it's funny. Plus, I wasn't expecting it at all. While reading the comic I was thinking 'Hey, a serious comic on the Escapist? That cannot be...' and then I lol'd.

Very good stuff, I can't wait to see more!

Hm interesting.

Although it's too bad that you didn't stick with "Out of Tens", "Critical Miss" just sounds like another omg girl gamer omg comic.

Rock it Decoy! I'll be following, spaghetti arms and all.

Awww ya donuts one of the few things everyone in the world can like. Also nice comic so far.

Critique time.
The heavy build-up is a classic comic formula. During my time making bedroom comics, that was mostly how I would make them. But the problem is the relevance between the build-up and the punch-line it supplies. "Fuck yeah, Donuts!" is random but not in the completely comical sense. It's like "We've made all this build-up. Now What?" "Let's Just make her say "Fuck Yeah! Donuts!" They'll eat that right up." "Great work, Jimmy. Here's your money."
Now that the backing to prevent some sort of flame war is provided, I think this is far from funny.

Well I don't know if it is completely unrelated. Her speech at the start is her hating on this big corporate company but her statement of "fuck yea donuts" is her showing how she can bury all this self-loathing and sell-outedness for the perks (donuts) and it shows a certain lack of morals that defines a bit of her character...

oh look. a webcomic.

This one made me laugh, but it also brings up a good point. Reviewers are just puppets...

foxyexplosion:
Well I don't know if it is completely unrelated. Her speech at the start is her hating on this big corporate company but her statement of "fuck yea donuts" is her showing how she can bury all this self-loathing and sell-outedness for the perks (donuts) and it shows a certain lack of morals that defines a bit of her character...

Then where'd the "comedy" go?

Hey lilmoomoo! Got to keep some of the old gang together supporting each other. Even if it is somewhere...different!

Oh and Grey, I am really happy for you hun. I think one of your most priceless moments was seeing your face and hearing you go "Holy Shit" repeatedly when you learned you had won.

You definitely deserve it. I may bitch and moan about all the comic ideas and suggestions I have to listen to, but when it comes down to it, you're finally getting recognition for something you love doing the most and that's what is most important.

And while this particular strip isn't my favourite, it makes me giggle every time I see a doughnut now.

I have never once, in my entire life, thought that games journalism, in any shape or form, was "glamorous" in the classical or contemporary sense of the word...

I did always think, however, it involved a lot of sitting in your own nest/cocoon made entirely of mountain dew and old pizza boxes playing some boring game that no-one has any interest in playing this century, quickly spewing out any old tripe into Microsoft Word 6 hours before your article goes live. How close to the mark am I?

I do think the "Fuck Yeah! Donuts!" line is really funny, but I especially love it because I can relate to it. Lots of times I've gone in to work, wishing I was anywhere else, and been pleasantly surprised by freshly baked treats.

Bevvie:
Hey lilmoomoo! Got to keep some of the old gang together supporting each other. Even if it is somewhere...different!

Oh and Grey, I am really happy for you hun. I think one of your most priceless moments was seeing your face and hearing you go "Holy Shit" repeatedly when you learned you had won.

You definitely deserve it. I may bitch and moan about all the comic ideas and suggestions I have to listen to, but when it comes down to it, you're finally getting recognition for something you love doing the most and that's what is most important.

And while this particular strip isn't my favourite, it makes me giggle every time I see a doughnut now.

Bevvie!!! Yay!!! I hope we can get more people to come here and see this.

lilmoomoo:

Bevvie!!! Yay!!! I hope we can get more people to come here and see this.

Me too. I told "spammed" most peoples I could think of. :)

dannymc18:
Question: What's up with her arms in the 4th panel?

What? Don't your arms do that in the vicinity of donuts? Mine sure do.

Well... at least you're Honest :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or