Science!: The Best Illusions of the Year!

Science!: The Best Illusions of the Year!

Inside: How to convince your fat to lose itself.

Read Full Article

GAH! Even after he shows how the ramp trick is done, it still blows my mind when he does it!

And that gorilla thing caught me out. Yes, I admit it, I was ONLY looking for the gorilla

GrinningManiac:
GAH! Even after he shows how the ramp trick is done, it still blows my mind when he does it!

And that gorilla thing caught me out. Yes, I admit it, I was ONLY looking for the gorilla

Haha ditto that!

I'm gonna start living inside my fridge in order to lose weight now. If I die, blame Lauren.

I love optical illusions. That ramp trick was great. Its amazing what can be done with perspective. It also makes me think of the subjective nature of reality.

When I read fat one all I could think was adipose lol

I wonder how long it will take for this idea to become one of those late night 30 minute commercials for the latest miracle cure for weight loss and getting in to shape with the least amount of effort used.

that gorilla was pretty easy the only thing that tricked my was the girl in the black shirt leaving.

I just missed the girl in the black shirt was well.

Kuliani:
I'm gonna start living inside my fridge in order to lose weight now. If I die, blame Lauren.

A man dead and stuffed in a fridge and a woman blamed for it? Now I know I'm not living in a comic book!

Lauren Admire misses her mom!

Awww.:) Personal anecdote, but some years back I was working a job that sucked. Was really bad and I was close to quitting, but I needed the money, so I was holding out for as long as I could (damnear killed me - never again). During those last few weeks I took to calling my mom during lunch (no appetite, so wasn't eating anyway). And it made me feel better to talk to her for a few minutes. Downside was I think I made her feel bad because she knew how stressed I was!

I noticed the gorilla and that someone left but missed counting one pass and the colour change. Also, anyone about to do a biology test try and ignore Lauren's division of domains.

Not that I am an old-school creationist (I personally believe the point of Genesis is purely allegorical, regardless of its historical accuracy), but what Theobald fails to realize is that his probabilities mean nothing to discredit the theory that man was created separately by God. If we take a literal Biblical creation to be true, then creation is a miracle, probability had nothing to do with it, and the odds are meaningless.

Also, I'm not that into biology, so if anyone reading this knows why this is a scientifically significant achievement, please explain.

My head hurts now from the ramp thing.

That ramp illusion is awesome! I'm glad to hear that it won.

I would totally use that COX-2 thing.
I bet it would help get my BMI from 19 to 17 ^^

Those illusions are awesome.
and I might have to try the call mom thing, she does my tits in most of the time but ya never know, it might work? :P

Very interesting stuff. COX-2 might be one of many potential ways to cut back on obesity in the future. I know that China was working on another natural chemical... something that increased muscle activity and helped prevent a good percentage of gaining body fat. If both of these become workable solutions in the future, we might not have any obese people twenty years from now.

Kuliani:

This was the plan all along, Kuliani.

Fists:
I noticed the gorilla and that someone left but missed counting one pass and the colour change. Also, anyone about to do a biology test try and ignore Lauren's division of domains.

True! Go with whatever you're taught. Or we can just go with Linnaeus' system of Animalia, Vegetabilia,Mineralia.

So how soon until the creationists accuse Theobald of being a god-hating heretic for providing more proof that evolution is a fact?

the_maestro_sartori:
Those illusions are awesome.
and I might have to try the call mom thing, she does my tits in most of the time but ya never know, it might work? :P

Since the study only considers whether or not a phone call is equivalent to a hug, I think either method requires having a good relationship with one's mother to work.:)

Missed the color change, the leaving player and miscounted the passes (17)

I was sleepy

Ive seen the monkey business video before, but didn't notice how many times the curtain changes color.

Also, who wouldn't be willing to suffer hemophilia, pain, and muscular abnormalities to be thin? No pain, no loss?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here