Review: Monster Hunter Tri

Review: Monster Hunter Tri

Slaying leviathans has never been so much fun.

Read Full Article

Certainly one of my favourite games on Wii at the moments!

Tons of fun!

A bit late to the party with this review, aren't we?

I enjoy Monster Hunter. For people who have played the past games, this one will seem far too easy. I do highly recommend its purchase to everyone who owns a Wii! :)

This review makes it seem quite appealing, if only the demo could have done that as well... The lack of any kind of targeting or lock-on system was really the dealbreaker for me- Slashing the air to the side of a giant dinosaur while an arbitrary 20-minute timer ticked away was not my idea of fun...

I love this game, my Wii hasn't seen so much action in a long, long time.

Podunk:
The lack of any kind of targeting or lock-on system was really the dealbreaker for me-

Implying that targeting and lock-on systems are mechanics and not features. Monster Hunter has its own sense of realism, and that realism doesn't include generic RPG traits like instant potions, health bars and leveling. And I suppose that's why I like this series so much, nothing makes me feel better than seeing a monster over twice my size limp away from me in fear :D

Metaphor:
Monster Hunter has its own sense of realism, and that realism doesn't include generic RPG traits like instant potions, health bars and leveling.

TBH I think they could have done without the victory flex every time you use a beneficial item though. XD

Metaphor:

Podunk:
The lack of any kind of targeting or lock-on system was really the dealbreaker for me-

Implying that targeting and lock-on systems are mechanics and not features. Monster Hunter has its own sense of realism, and that realism doesn't include generic RPG traits like instant potions, health bars and leveling. And I suppose that's why I like this series so much, nothing makes me feel better than seeing a monster over twice my size limp away from me in fear :D

I don't think 'realism' is a good enough excuse for a poorly-managed item system, or control and camera issues. In reality, I would be able to look at something simply by turning my head, and I could turn my body to face any direction I please. If I was to swing a weapon at something I would certainly not stubbornly and viciously attack the air until someone gets a hand-truck and repositions my crooked ass. There are many different ways they could have worked out the combat control issues, but instead they just chose to ignore it. I'd expect more out of a PS1 game.

I'm not trying to bash the game, or say that people aren't allowed to like it. But if anyone is reading a review of this game and trying to decide whether or not to buy it I think they ought to know about some of the fundamental flaws that were glossed over in the review. To say nothing of the fact that a demo should make you want to play the game more, not less. I can see the appeal of the game, I mean, I almost bought it; but while I'm willing to overlook a lot in a game it all comes down to whether or not it's fun for me and the controls just ruin that.

If you're a fan of WoW or any double-digit Final Fantasy, you'll probably like this game. I'll be sticking with my No More Heroes 2 and my super-cheap new Gamecube games.

I approve of this review! Now PM me your name so we can play online Meghan... nobody will play with me. I need help killing Barroths!!!

seriously.

Tom Goldman:
I approve of this review! Now PM me your name so we can play online Meghan... nobody will play with me. I need help killing Barroths!!!

seriously.

Dude...really? I'll help

I want this very badly, but there's no point buying it right now, as I can't play my Wii without a TV :( And I also have no income. Which presents its own problems.

Ugh, I have already been debating whether to get this or Pokemon Battle Revolution, and this is only making it harder to decide!

Eukaryote:
Ugh, I have already been debating whether to get this or Pokemon Battle Revolution, and this is only making it harder to decide!

If you love to battle competitively...get Pokemon Battle Revolution. If not...get Monster Hunter Tri

Aura Guardian:

Eukaryote:

If you love to battle competitively...get Pokemon Battle Revolution. If not...get Monster Hunter Tri

I do, but I still can't decide

Eukaryote:

Aura Guardian:

Eukaryote:

I do, but I still can't decide

Let's see....I love both of them, but PBR's replay value is decent while MHT is high.

Podunk:

Metaphor:

Podunk:

I don't think 'realism' is a good enough excuse for a poorly-managed item system, or control and camera issues. In reality, I would be able to look at something simply by turning my head, and I could turn my body to face any direction I please. If I was to swing a weapon at something I would certainly not stubbornly and viciously attack the air until someone gets a hand-truck and repositions my crooked ass. There are many different ways they could have worked out the combat control issues, but instead they just chose to ignore it. I'd expect more out of a PS1 game.

I'm not trying to bash the game, or say that people aren't allowed to like it. But if anyone is reading a review of this game and trying to decide whether or not to buy it I think they ought to know about some of the fundamental flaws that were glossed over in the review. To say nothing of the fact that a demo should make you want to play the game more, not less. I can see the appeal of the game, I mean, I almost bought it; but while I'm willing to overlook a lot in a game it all comes down to whether or not it's fun for me and the controls just ruin that.

If you're a fan of WoW or any double-digit Final Fantasy, you'll probably like this game. I'll be sticking with my No More Heroes 2 and my super-cheap new Gamecube games.

What you consider as flaws, many feel are positive points for the game. I respect that it isn't your cup of tea though.

Enjoy your video games.

For a Wii game, this is definitely the best multiplayer experience. It gives wii owners a reason to actually play online

its a better multi-player experience then most 360 games too since its free

was contemplating getting this game...thinking its not for me though

Looks pretty... for a Wii game.

But the real Monster game I want to see is Monster Rancher. I wouldn't mind playing another one of those.

I don't seem to find the camera that bad, coming from a vet of the original. I just find that this is the ONLY game I play on the wii... make that one of the only games I play at all right now!

Podunk:
The lack of any kind of targeting or lock-on system was really the dealbreaker for me- Slashing the air to the side of a giant dinosaur while an arbitrary 20-minute timer ticked away was not my idea of fun...

This isn't an add twitchy shooter game like most players this generations are use too. This game has a steep learning curve that is fairly close to realism as a fantasy game could get. The weird arm flex when eating something is stupid but can be fun when trying to time it right when to eat one. Once one is use to the combat system and can read the movements of a monster the battle becomes quit compelling and immersive. This isn't a CoD game were even if you do terrible you will eventually get better weapons. If you do bad in Monster Hunter it is simply because you are bad and need to get better as a player.

I don't quite get the complaints about picking mushrooms even 8 hours in (by then you should have at least fought the Great Jaggi, probably even the Qurupeco) and the underwater controls are simply dual analog, nothing clunky about that. Sure, getting very close to the monster can get disorienting but that's because it's a third person game, not because it's doing anything wrong.

The camera issues and targeting are part of the fun, it's the difference between "I know what I'm doing!" to actually know what are you doing. Except underwater, the camera tends to go bonkers at times when I'm hunting a particular huge (by huge I mean really freaking huge) monster.

majaman:

This isn't an add twitchy shooter game like most players this generations are use too. This game has a steep learning curve that is fairly close to realism as a fantasy game could get. The weird arm flex when eating something is stupid but can be fun when trying to time it right when to eat one. Once one is use to the combat system and can read the movements of a monster the battle becomes quit compelling and immersive. This isn't a CoD game were even if you do terrible you will eventually get better weapons. If you do bad in Monster Hunter it is simply because you are bad and need to get better as a player.

I agree with this. The first time I gave the demo a shot it kicked my ass. The second time I didn't die, but I did run out of time. The third time I took down the monster and it felt damn good. I'm not one to shirk from difficulty, and I certainly admire games that try to work within a specified frame of realism. Honestly, I'm glad to see this game has so many fans because I like the ideas behind it quite a lot, and as a Wii game it needs all the support it can get unfortunately. Hopefully it will do well, commercially speaking, and if they bring out a sequel that shows me they put some more thought into the control scheme I'll definitely buy a copy.

I think it's worth remembering, though, that while Call of Duty may not concern itself with difficulty or rewarding challenges it's control scheme is probably as intuitive and comfortable as you'll find for an FPS game.
(But CoD Players- Seriously, go play Team Fortress 2. You can't get taken out by a pistol across the map and people don't spawn behind you to knife you in the ass.)

The controls and camera aren't really an issue.
You get used to them after an hour or two and then erverything runs smoothly.

Podunk:

majaman:

I agree with this. The first time I gave the demo a shot it kicked my ass. The second time I didn't die, but I did run out of time. The third time I took down the monster and it felt damn good. I'm not one to shirk from difficulty, and I certainly admire games that try to work within a specified frame of realism. Honestly, I'm glad to see this game has so many fans because I like the ideas behind it quite a lot, and as a Wii game it needs all the support it can get unfortunately. Hopefully it will do well, commercially speaking, and if they bring out a sequel that shows me they put some more thought into the control scheme I'll definitely buy a copy.

I think it's worth remembering, though, that while Call of Duty may not concern itself with difficulty or rewarding challenges it's control scheme is probably as intuitive and comfortable as you'll find for an FPS game.
(But CoD Players- Seriously, go play Team Fortress 2. You can't get taken out by a pistol across the map and people don't spawn behind you to knife you in the ass.)

^_^ I don't understand something though, I mean they never had a lock on system from the start in Monster Hunter. And the developers even said they wanted it that way, and they didn't want to give health bars to the monsters. I do agree it can get aggravating slashing at the air but I love my Monster hunter :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here