Interview of the Dead

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Interview of the Dead

MovieBob picks horror legend George Romero's brains about his latest film, Survival of the Dead.

Read Full Article

Has he ever thought of making a straight-up comedy?

I'd love to do it! I've pitched for years... basically I wanted to do Coyote and the Roadrunner but with one human and one zombie. It'd be just one gag after another. But I just can't find the funding! [as if on-cue, the entire table of assembled journalists reach for their wallets, asking how much he'd need. Most of us probably aren't kidding.]

hell, even id donate to that cause.

His feelings on fast vs. slow zombies?

I forgive them if they're not dead. So... 28 Days Later, I guess is okay. Because it's a disease.

What a perfect question to ask, and a good answer as well!

I always thought the slow, stumbling zombie made for a better horror. It always seemed to symbolize the slow yet unstoppable quality of a zombie plague.

"Coyote and the Roadrunner but with one human and one zombie"
"Can't find the funding!"

IDEA!

Online Fan Charity to donate and raise money for this film.
Call it: "Fundraiser of The Dead"

The Partisan:

IDEA!

i like your thinking my friend.

I don't understand why this man's films are so revered...

But I do know a good interview when I see one.

Has this not been out on DVD in the U.K for about 3 month's? I'm sure I saw it in a local Tesco for about 3.00 didn't have that on me at the time or I would own it!

Onyx Oblivion:

Aye, excellent intervierw...and, as for Romero...I think its mainly because he was the first mainstream guy...and for some reason that makes him epic? Thats my theory anyway

MovieBob:
One of those possibilities is his newest zombie entry, Survival of The Dead, the first in a (hoped for) series of spin-offs following minor characters from Diary - in this case a rouge team of soldiers

Heh. A slight but somewhat hilarous typo. I'm imagining soldiers in stilettos and coctaildresses now.

But good interview MovieBob, an interesting read. And gratz on getting the interview. I don't know how well known you are in the industry, or how easy it is getting and interview like this, but if this means your career is "on the rise", then congratulations.

Deofuta:
I always thought the slow, stumbling zombie made for a better horror. It always seemed to symbolize the slow yet unstoppable quality of a zombie plague.

Aye, I agree. the slow moving zombies are somewhat more menacing in that while they are slow, their sheer numbers and relentlessness will still get you in the end. Ever so slowly.

The Partisan:

IDEA!

I've got quite a bit saved up [probably shouldn't mention how much I guess] and would gladly give it all to see a zombie-comedy by Romero...of course I'd also like to appear as a zombie and get a credit as some kind but that's all arbitrary: The important thing is to get that movie made.

Congrats, Bob.
I'd donate for that roadrunner/coyote but with a zombie and human movie.

Great interview. A zombie comedy? Shaun of the Dead. But a Road Runner/Coyote? I support that idea.

And yeah, the fast zombies were from 28 days later. Genre is changing as always.

i would donate too XD

So without mentioning it, he ripped the dawn of the dad remake

The Partisan:

+1 internets for you.

I would defiantly donate to that.

I'd like to take a moment and say that there, George Romero does not give a shit if zombies are fast or not. Now maybe people can stop bitching and say "they aren't real zombies HURDUR"

I love George Romero, but I love reading and watching him more. I have a documentary about Midnight Movies, and every time I watch it, I get really excited; Seeing him [Romero] so full of life talking about his passion is just awesome.

George A. Romero is one of the Godfathers of Modern Day Cinema, and easily one of my favorite Godfathers (John Waters sits in the pantheon of Godfathers of Cinema as all time favorite).

And I'm more than on board to watch a Romero Comedy. Tell me where to sign, I'll put up cash for it.

Awesome interview piece Bob. I wish I could have been there...

I would donate to get the Roadrunner Zombie movie made as well...

Longshot:

Deofuta:

Aye, I agree. the slow moving zombies are somewhat more menacing in that while they are slow, their sheer numbers and relentlessness will still get you in the end. Ever so slowly.

And it allows for their victims to get overconfident before they get eaten. Hooray for hubris!

im a huge fan of GR's older films up to 'Land', but Diary and Survival were just plain bad in my opinion. I dont know why, but its like he is keeping the same direction he took in Land with the zombies evolving and adapting to new sources of food, and i hate it! Anyway, i hope he keeps making movies, he is very creative even if i didnt like his last 2 films.

Nice, I wonder if you could post any other interviews in the future. ^_^

hate to break it to ya Bob Survival of the Dead was fucking awful. Truly unwatchable even compared to Diary of the Dead. I regretfully feel that Romero is just about out of juice.

Onyx Oblivion:

I love his original three - they're cultural milestones and high-quality flicks to boot. But Diary of the Dead was, at best, boring. At worst, it was dire, cynical, self-important, and balanced. It was just bad.

Romero, I love him, but he needs to realize that zombies, however slow they may be, have outrun him. His latest attempts to catch up have failed.

electric discordian:
Has this not been out on DVD in the U.K for about 3 month's? I'm sure I saw it in a local Tesco for about 3.00 didn't have that on me at the time or I would own it!

Yeah it has, it was really wierd, it came out in the UK on DVD before it had its big premiere in the US, something to do with the funding, I think they needed a kick start so they just gave it to us first to bankroll the premiere.

I love Romero's movies wait give me a sec (I know it's here somewhere...)

Here it is, the whole night of the living dead movie for your enjoyment (It's public domain so no worries about legal issues). So yeah I'm a big fan of his work, although they sort of recycled the whole "tamed Zombie" thing from Day of the Dead.

It is so awesome to read you interviewing Romero. He sounds like a cool guy and creative as hell. I've really enjoyed all his movies in the Living Dead franchise so far so I'm excited to see what he's cooked up next. Truly a man who was the father of a genre.

You should do more interviews like this Bob, they are really interesting.

Deofuta:

I forgive them if they're not dead. So... 28 Days Later, I guess is okay. Because it's a disease.

What a perfect question to ask, and a good answer as well!

That's true, but I think they both have uses. Look at 28 Days Later. How many Infected were ever on screen at once? Very few, and yet they still managed to be massive threats, individually. That creates a whole new kind of tension. Think about the mansion scene. It all starts with one zombie being released into the compound by our hero. Eventually, said zombie takes over the whole building, turning the now-terrified soldiers into zombies themselves one-by-one. That scene was frankly awesome, and only partially because of the great music in the background :)

Also, as I was typing, I realized something else: the best zombie films, either fast or slow, use the zombie apocalypse as a backdrop for interpersonal conflict, or so it seems to me. The kind of conflict, however, is also different. In Slow Zombie films, said conflict is more about how to survive, with the growing depression from the seemingly-inescapable hordes adding to it. Fast zombie films, on the other hand, seem to be more of a commentary on human nature as a whole. Look at how 28 Days Later handled those soldiers.

The way Romero says "man" while he talks gives me a good impression on him. It's cool you got the chance to meet him in person!

Also, I'd DEFINITELY see that sombie/human comedy if it ever sees the light of day!

You know what I'd like to see sometime? A movie about zombies. As in voodoo zombies. It could be more of a thriller/drama than an actual horror movie, and I think the setting has the potential to create a very potent and unique atmosphere.

Also: You're sharp Mr Chipman. You got in some really good questions and got some interesting answers. Can't say I'm a fan of his movies, but it was still interesting to get to peer into his mind.

FINALLY!!
Straight from the Masters mouth. 28 DAYS LATER ARNT ZOMBIES!

Definitely want to see said comedy!

MovieBob:
Interview of the Dead

MovieBob picks horror legend George Romero's brains about his latest film, Survival of the Dead.

Read Full Article

Just watched Diary of the dead.

I really really didnt like it... Romero has had a great vision but I honestly feel that what he is doing now stands nowhere near what he used to do.

I can understand the appeal of creating a Blair Witch type Zombie movie (if it works they would make a fortune) but compared to Blair witch this movie was just horrible (I actually kinda liked the Blair).

Also the movie Day of the dead (or is it Land of the Dead (where the zombies start thinking and use tools)) was just plain freaking horrible. I can't believe I actually went to the cinema to watch it.

It seems to me the people that make zombie movies are getting the impression that the apocalypse is getting boring....... but why for gods sake??? As anyone who has read World War Z could tell you, the well of inspiration is VERY deep.

Even a movie where you dont see many Zombies could be great. A 'Life after the aftermath' or so to speak.

I have lost all respect for Romero. Good to see he is still plugging on, but sad to see he has gone off the trail and is going nowhere.

Redlin5:
You should do more interviews like this Bob, they are really interesting.

Yes, Bob, why don't you interview more genre defining directors? It could be your new thing!

His first movie which has already been posted is truly a masterpiece. Everything after that was just meh. Survival of the Dead is awful but good to watch out of boredom.

Aww man you met George, I am jealous

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or