Escape to the Movies: Shrek For Ever After

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Shrek For Ever After

This week MovieBob takes a look at, *sigh*, the new Shrek movie.

Watch Video

Firstly: Hey...Dreamworks made Road to El Dorado, and I liked that movie.
Secondly: Just a quick bit of showbiz advice Bob, you should probably stop putting your opinion of the movie in question in the text description. Took a lot of fun out of the Iron Man review when I knew going in that you liked it.

I honestly had no idea there was another Shrek movie. Guess that explains why there's another game about it.

I never saw Shrek 3 and probably won't see this one. I can, however, think of actors that'd turn me off a movie far quicker than Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz, and Eddie Murphy. They're not THAT bad yet.

Once you have hit 4, I think the idea most certainly starts to sag. Especially when the movie in question really does not bring anything new to the equation.

Seriously? Must be nothing out this week huh, Bob?

Ugh, it's been a decade since Shrek already? Crap, I feel old. I saw The Matrix on Encore the other day and a tear came to my eye.

Well, if I hadn't been to the cinema for Iron Man 2, I wouldn't have known about Shrek 4... But since it comes out in July in Poland.... gah.

Anyway, I remember watching the first Shrek. It was great, it was classic, especially the "are we there yet?" moment, the rescuing of the princess, the singing mini-town in the souvenir shop, Pinokio and the rest of the team of misfits...

Shrek 2? Okay, well, it was fine. Nothing as memorable as Shrek, but the fight scenes were okay, the plot was good too.

Shrek 3? I watched it twice. Once in the cinema, once on my PC. It was funny only the first time, compared to me watching Shrek 1 at least ten times (which is nothing compared to my friend - she went to see it 7 times in the cinema in a month, then bought the DVD anyways).

Shrek 4... GAH, just let it die already.

Whoa, everyone in a Dreamworks movie does have that stupid smirk. I never notice that.

I'm probably on the few people around where I live that only slightly liked the first movie. It had its moment but most of the time the movie made me bored. And I hated how everyone started singing all those modern songs at the end. God that was a pain to watch.

Mmm, didn't know there was a new Shrek coming out. That franchise died after the second movie. Admittedly I laughed at a few jokes in the third movie but well... I think it was just done. I'll probably be forced to take my niece to see this movie, though I'm not too annoyed at that. The movie probably wont be all that good or original however it's a step up from the last movie I had to sit through with my niece (Alvin and the Chipmunks 2) and it looks like I'll get a giggle out of it once or twice along with the fact that I don't hate the character Shrek (yet).

Actually I'm being a little presumptuous here, I would like to ask Bobs opinion on this one if he would be so kind as to grant me it. Did you see Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 and was the new Shrek as bad as that (in your opinion), I would just like to know because, as stated, I'm going to be forced to see this movie whether I like it or not and if it's as bad as the Chipmunks movie I may in fact just fake my own death (or pretend to be ill).

WTF Shrek 4? I was looking forward to you reviewing the prince of persia movie that opens this week. Well maybe your holding off till next week when Yahtazee can tear the movie licensed prince of persia game a new one then you can give us your thoughts on the movie.

5hrek.

NOOOOOOO!

Don't say it.

They'll do it!

The franchise was murdered at Shrek 2.

This is necrophilia.

Shrek 1 and Shrek 2 were fun and imaginative (The first one was actually a really good film!), subverting all previous fairy tale clichés regarding the hero and the villain. Shrek 3 was just... dull. The basic premise was no longer original, and neither the storyline nor the jokes were enough to keep the movie going... And now there's a 4th. I knew it was coming, but I'd hoped it was further off.
To anyone who thinks that some game series become old and repetitive after their second or third instalments, I encourage them to look at the film industry, and see how much worse it could be... (Look at Star Wars, or Austin Powers. Actually, Austin Powers got better as the series went on)

I really, really hope Toy Story 3 is good. Otherwise I'll be running out of childhood memories that haven't since been kicked to the floor and trampled on...

Good point on the missing Faaquad. That was something I wondered when I saw the ads myself. But waaaait a minute. Why is Fiona an ogre? Shouldn't she still be bounding between ogre and human? Let me guess; this isn't addressed in the movie either.

As for Dragon, I'd move it past okay into actually good/great category. It's not Pixar caliber, but it got like 98% positive reviews, which is a good sign.

One more thing. What IS the name of this movie? Half the time, I see it advertised as Forever After, and the other half, it's The Final Chapter. Why do that?

rescuer86:
Ugh, it's been a decade since Shrek already? Crap, I feel old. I saw The Matrix on Encore the other day and a tear came to my eye.

And they murdered THAT with sequels 2! T_T

Onyx Oblivion:
5hrek.

NOOOOOOO!

Don't say it.

They'll do it!

They said in an interview that they are planing on doing seven, YES, SEVEN MOVIES. Followed by a Puss in Boot/Donkey spin off. I doubt they will make it to six. (At least I hope)

Jay Cee:
The franchise was murdered at Shrek 2.

This is necrophilia.

Shrek 2 was all fun and games untill the end. Those mutant baby whatever things killed it for me.

i'm still kinda thrown that you think How train your dragon was "okay". In my opinion it was a really good movie. not iron man 2 or Up but better than many kids movies. i might go so far as to say the best dreamworks movie ever. for awhile i forgot that pixar didn't make it. that how good it was. however different strokes and all that.

Shrek 4... god i'm glad i don't watch TV based on what the others have done and merketing budget to badness of movie ratio the probab;y had advertising out the ass for this. and that turns me off anything faster than anything else. reshowing me the same commercial over and over will not make me like it. actually it will probab;y make me hate it. but as for the movie I don't even know why shrek 2 exsisted. shrek 1 was a tight well written story that ENDED. and not like it ended with a cliffhanger, or teaser or some sort of unfinished plot thred. no it just ended, happily ever after, music party in the swamp, fiona and shrek together and farquad dead. It was over and now because we liked the first one they throw up more of it, in a crappy way no less, for ten years... I hope your right bob and this is the last one.

thenumberthirteen:
I never saw Shrek 3 and probably won't see this one. I can, however, think of actors that'd turn me off a movie far quicker than Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz, and Eddie Murphy. They're not THAT bad yet.

Name them. Without mentioning Sarah Jessica Parker, Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, George Clooney, Brendan Fraser... OK, I can see your point.

rescuer86:
Ugh, it's been a decade since Shrek already? Crap, I feel old

I know, right? Here's a better one - it's been 15 years since Toy Story, and 16 since the Lion King!

I surprised myself looking those up

Blue-State:

rescuer86:

And they murdered THAT with sequels 2! T_T

*heavy sigh* I know. *sniffle* I know.

I see a few other people didn't know about this movie neither. I wonder; why didn't they shout about it as much as they did the first movie? Probably because they didn't have very high hopes for it to begin with, so here's the real question: why did they even bother?

Um... Iron Man had a midlife crisis, and while the movie wasn't specifically geared towards kids, c'mon. Are you seriously going to say a super hero movie doesn't have a bunch of kid fans idolizing this character?

Anyway, haven't seen the movie, not going to judge until I do (on DVD with my siblings, something I haven't payed for and can walk away from), but the series only dropped the ball for me with the third one, what with the new creative cast, so I'm going to be somewhat hopeful. With the ability to walk away.

Oh, what the hell?! I was looking forward to a "MacGruber" review. You obviously have little love for Shrek, so why not review the movie people over 12 are actually going to see? Feels almost like a waste of a review.

It's a shame, I LOVED Dreamworks back when they were still doing 2D stuff (Road to El Dorado, Prince of Egypt), but they've never managed to work the same magic with CGI (their best effort so far being How to Train Your Dragon, which was good, but not great).

Another one...? -w- damnit Shrek *beats with a shovel* WHY. WONT. YOU. DIE.

I loved Shrek, I liked Shrek 2 :/ I grimaced through Shrek 3 thinking "Well, at least it's the last one, right?"

I won't be seeing it, but thanks for suffering through that for us Bob D: At least now we're forewarned.

Wait, if Shrek never existed, why is Fiona still an ogre?

Continuity gripes aside, Shrek was great, Shrek 2 was pretty good, Shrek 3 was horrible and this one looks to be the worst of the lot.

"Were my witches at"? Yep. I have some dreamworks execs to murder.

I, too, was looking forward to a 'Macgruber' review. So much so in fact I forgot they even made this another 'Shrek' movie. Dreamworks seems to be beating a dead horse at this point with this story line.

Hawkeye16:
"Were my witches at"? Yep. I have some dreamworks execs to murder.

Agreed. It just makes me wonder if hollywood is even connected to the people they aim these movies at. Not to mention for like the first time ever movie tickets cost $20 now. Thanks Shrek... Thanks...

sky14kemea:
WHY. WONT. YOU. DIE.

I've fought mudcrabs more fiercer than you!

OT: I liked the first two Shrek movies but I agree the third was very disappointing.

I actually really liked Dragon, mainly because a lot of it had the Wall-E thing of one or two characters only speaking through their face and a slight change in a word/noise. I also preferred Shrek 2 over Shrek 1, but that's because I preferred the villains.

I probably won't see this, unless I pick it up rental, and even then it's very unlikely. I'm just not interested, and STILL need to see Iron Man 2, dammit!

On another note, I wonder if Bob's gotten to see Four Lions yet? Would love to hear some opinion.

Jman1236:
WTF Shrek 4? I was looking forward to you reviewing the prince of persia movie that opens this week. Well maybe your holding off till next week when Yahtazee can tear the movie licensed prince of persia game a new one then you can give us your thoughts on the movie.

The prince of persia move isn't out here in the states to my knowledge(my theater would be playing it after all).

I was a little disappointed in this review, not cause he didn't like the move but because it didn't really discuss the usual things bob tends to examine when reviewing a movie. It was essentially a 4 1/2 minute rant about how they should have stopped making shrek movies after the first one.

Oh well, not every review can be good.

You know what REALLY irks me about Dreamworks?

The Bee Movie

The moral is: Trying to be different never works, you'll only cock up. Just stay in line and do as you're told and die unremembered and unfufilled

Rule of milking franchises - After it becomes crap, make one more just the sqeeze the last few drops. Now, the real question is, was Shrek 4 the "last squeeze" or do they consider it the "crap one" that needs to be followed by the "last squeeze"?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here