Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

tk1989:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

Onyx Oblivion:
5hrek.

NOOOOOOO!

Don't say it.

They'll do it!

They said in an interview that they are planing on doing seven, YES, SEVEN MOVIES. Followed by a Puss in Boot/Donkey spin off. I doubt they will make it to six. (At least I hope)

I hope you are joking. I seriously do not want to believe you until you have a viable link

This is all I gots. http://www.collider.com/2010/05/18/antonio-banderas-video-interview-shrek-forever-after-puss-in-boots-movie/ (Try looking around, Antonio Banderes said they were making seven movies in an interview)

Shrek was good. I liked Shrek 2 better but I acknowledge it wasn't as good as the first one from a quality perspective. The third one was pure crap. Now they're clearly at the soulless cash-in stage of development.

The problem with that smirk is that Malcom Mcdowell was the only one who could ever pull it off.

Jandau:
Rule of milking franchises - After it becomes crap, make one more just the sqeeze the last few drops. Now, the real question is, was Shrek 4 the "last squeeze" or do they consider it the "crap one" that needs to be followed by the "last squeeze"?

One would hope it were the former but cynicism dictates it'll more than likely be the latter. I honestly can't think of a movie series with a good fourth one.

I don't get why they made another one with Shrek as the main character. He has three kids why not set one ten to fifteen years in the future and make it about his kids. You get to really see what Shrek is like as a father figure. That could have at least been interesting.

zpfanatic81195:

J03bot:
Shrek 1 and Shrek 2 were fun and imaginative (The first one was actually a really good film!), subverting all previous fairy tale clichés regarding the hero and the villain. Shrek 3 was just... dull. The basic premise was no longer original, and neither the storyline nor the jokes were enough to keep the movie going... And now there's a 4th. I knew it was coming, but I'd hoped it was further off.
To anyone who thinks that some game series become old and repetitive after their second or third instalments, I encourage them to look at the film industry, and see how much worse it could be... (Look at Star Wars, or Austin Powers. Actually, Austin Powers got better as the series went on)

I really, really hope Toy Story 3 is good. Otherwise I'll be running out of childhood memories that haven't since been kicked to the floor and trampled on...

don't worry, it's pixar.

Yeah, but look at the number. That 3 doesn't fill me with hope

MaraJade03:

J03bot:

rescuer86:
Ugh, it's been a decade since Shrek already? Crap, I feel old

I know, right? Here's a better one - it's been 15 years since Toy Story, and 16 since the Lion King!

I surprised myself looking those up

and 21 years since Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast 19 years, and Tron came out when I was born it's almost 30!!

....dear lord I'm almost 30....

Huh, the Little Mermaid is older than me. And I still haven't seen the whole thing... But I'm assuming the ending isn't as good as in the original story.

But yeah, still struggling to believe I was only 5 when Toy Story came out. I'm nearly 20! Don't I have to stop acting like a child once I can't say "-teen" after my age? That's gonna be boring... I have less than a week if my childhood left, and Dreamworks are destroying it! Them and the exams.

MR.Spartacus:
The problem with that smirk is that Malcom Mcdowell was the only one who could ever pull it off.

Jandau:
Rule of milking franchises - After it becomes crap, make one more just the sqeeze the last few drops. Now, the real question is, was Shrek 4 the "last squeeze" or do they consider it the "crap one" that needs to be followed by the "last squeeze"?

One would hope it were the former but cynicism dictates it'll more than likely be the latter. I honestly can't think of a movie series with a good fourth one.

Star Wars? Episode 4 is much better than episodes 1,2 and 3!
What do you mean, that doesn't count?

The Land Before Time? (maybe, I can't remember which one's which)

I googled 'movie series with good 4th', and got Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Terminator, and possibly Twilight. It was the only google search I've done that I've wanted to vomit after seeing the results, and I've seen bad things on there...

So, of all the 4th films I can think of, Harry Potter is the closest to being a good one.

Really comparing things to Pixar just doesn't feel fair anymore, even the cream of the crop of non- pixar films really don't hold a candle.
But I am starting to get a little worried about Pixar since Monsters Inc. 2 and Cars 2 are already in production and I'm not sure whether or not this could lead to them milking all of their current franchises instead of opting for newer ideas. They already cancelled their then upcoming feature film Newt in favor of Monsters Inc. 2, could this be a sign of things to come?

Whoah, whoah, whoah.
I was 7 when Shrek came out?
Wow.

J03bot:

MR.Spartacus:

Jandau:

I googled 'movie series with good 4th', and got Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Terminator, and possibly Twilight. It was the only google search I've done that I've wanted to vomit after seeing the results, and I've seen bad things on there...

So, of all the 4th films I can think of, Harry Potter is the closest to being a good one.

With Star Wars, 1 counts as the fourth.

Basicly, any time a movie is really good, the studio will make a not-so-good sequel. Then after that they will make an even worse sequel, and an even worse one after that. The cycle of bad sequels continues until people stop going to see them.

You know, for however much I look forward to Yahtzee's weekly pick being something so terrible he can tear it three new assholes and still can't beat all the shit out of it, I hope the opposite of my Moviebob.

I want to hear that a movie is GOOD. No, I don't want Bob to lie to me. If it sucks, I'd rather know ahead of time and save the $25.50 it costs me and my roommate to go (way more if it's 3D and/or Imax). But I hope that whatever film Bob picks, it's GOOD. I want to know something GOOD to go and see. I try to see at least one movie a week, but a glance at IMDB's "coming soon" listings rarely gives me more than one promising looking title in any given week, so when Bob inevitably reviews that one not-guaranteed-to-suck release, I hope with all my being that it's a great movie.

I can't blame Bob, you never shoot the messenger. But I can definitely blame the movie studios for turning potential gold into definite shit. I'm getting pretty damn sick of unique and potentially groundbreaking stories not getting the funding or attention they need, and I'm even more revolted with how they shell those much-needed dollars into tacking increasingly bigger numbers on the ends of franchises that stopped being interesting after its first sequel.

And Bob, I have to ask. Given the choice between Shrek and MacGruber, why didn't you review MacGruber? Anyone could have told that a Shrek fourquel wouldn't be any better than it's horrible threequel, that's like predicting an Uwe Bole movie is going to suck, it's a no brainer.

MR.Spartacus:
I honestly can't think of a movie series with a good fourth one.

Alien 4 wasn't bad. Or at least is didn't suck as much as the third one. Some of the later Star Trek movies weren't bad (if you're into Star Trek), but then again, the movies acted more like extended episodes. Also, wasn't there a 4th Lethal Weapon? I think that didn't suck as well... ;)

"Where my witches at?" That seems like a stupid thing to say to market a children's movie.

Jing the Bandit:

J03bot:

With Star Wars, 1 counts as the fourth.

Hence the section which I've just put in bold above

I hear Transformers 4 is going to be good; the decepticons invade Earth, enslave humanity, and kill Sam Witwicky (this is optional, but will appease many fans). The film features a tiny bit about the human resistance, but is mostly about the robots, and Starscream's revolt against Megatron.

I wish...

there is only one shrek movie. the second one is a different series and the other two don't exist. period.

Jaranja:

Freebird.:

Jaranja:

Freebird.:
Wait, if Shrek never existed, why is Fiona still an ogre?

Maybe it was night time.

It looked pretty sunny to me.

Either way, I doubt it's the worst thing about this movie.

Very true, good sir. I will not be seeing this movie.

I wanted Bob to review Four Lions. I'm not sure if it's in America but it's the funniest film I've seen in... about 5 years.

That's the Chris Morris thing isn't it? Yeah, it looked pretty good. Hopefully I'll be seeing it soon.

J03bot:
Don't I have to stop acting like a child once I can't say "-teen" after my age? That's gonna be boring... I have less than a week if my childhood left, and Dreamworks are destroying it! Them and the exams.

As someone well past their teens.. No you need not stop acting like a Kid once past teen. In my experience adults act more like kids then kids do! My Nieces Birthday party had a big jumping house with a slide in it. Once I read the warning and told everybody there is no weight limit.... that thing was filled with adults both men and women with like one or two kids. So yea no need to ever really grow up just bigger.

Oh and good luck with exams

Eric the Orange:

MaraJade03:
and Tron came out when I was born it's almost 30!!

Oh man I LOVED Tron when I was a kid. That was like my one movie. every kid has one, you know the one you'd watch every day until the tape started to melt (or DVD for the yougins).

The Movie I melted the tape to was The Last Unicorn (another 1982 movie) even used scotch tape to tape the tape back together when it broke. Same thing happen to Disney Sleeping Beauty (1959).

Elesar:
Firstly: Hey...Dreamworks made Road to El Dorado, and I liked that movie.

Best animated movie ever! On another note, thank god it's finally dead. I actually thought the first one was pretty good but that is the only one I have seen.

If they do make Shrek 5 it will probably be call 5hrek :(

now lets forget this franchise forever after...the same pun every motherfucker has been saying about this movie

Sev72:

Elesar:
Firstly: Hey...Dreamworks made Road to El Dorado, and I liked that movie.

Best animated movie ever! On another note, thank god it's finally dead. I actually thought the first one was pretty good but that is the only one I have seen.

Yeah you know i liked that movie too but i know many people flat out hated it, not sure why tho, btw Bob are there any other Dreamworks jobs you like sides Shrek 1 n 2?

True True. Shrek kicked ass up to 2. Then 3 ballsed it all up.

Looking forward to Marmaduke bob?

Anyway, I loved the first two Shrek movies, especially the second one, it was so funny! The third... eh. And while I know this one is likely to suck, I still want to see it, if only to see how it all ends... Or maybe I should just wait until it's on DVD so I can rent it and never bother with it again.

BTW, I really liked the Dragon movie, Toothless was so cute in that.

Sigh, i hate how actually good movies get milked, like rocky and shrek.

"Remember how good the first Shrek was?"

No.

Oh, and except for the first Toy Story Pixar's movies are all tiresomely generic, unimaginative tosh hiding behind superficially high concepts. Yes, that includes the Incredibles. No, I'm not saying Dreamworks are any better. Hayao Miyazaki, baby!

yet another series suffering from the 'God Father' effect me thinks

There's been more than one Shrek movie?
0o

I was hoping you'd review MacGruber to tell me if it's slightly misrepresented comic gold or just the same trivial "SNL skit expanded and unrated" dribble. Oh well. At least I know this isn't a great reinvention of the series.

Dreamworks needs to stop milking franchises. NOW.
the 1st was great, and the 2nd had some good bits, but everything after that was just awful :(

Third wasn't memorable, so fourth shouldn't be XD

Ok, i loved the first 4 Shrek films (yes i count the xmas special as a movie also, short or not) and having watched this and the official trailer...

OMG THAT SUCKED!!! and im not usually one for saying this but that just looked aweful. The trailers i've seen dont tell me exactly what the movie is meant to be about which means im stuck wondering what the HELL is going on in the action and why its all weird and messed up.

Maybe one of you guys has seen a trailer that DOES actually explain this movie and could send/show me link.

unacomn:
I honestly had no idea there was another Shrek movie. Guess that explains why there's another game about it.

There's a game?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or