Escape to the Movies: Shrek For Ever After

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

The first two were great, but they should've stopped there. This is just yet another case of wringing a franchise to squeeze out the last few drops of currency.

Thanks, man.

It's a shame this franchise got milked so hard, honestly, It's a shame that it's come to this, still, we can always have the cold comfort that the first two were fun and enjoyable.

there is no logics behind financial purposes, and therefore no reason is ever used in creating such sequels.

I find it interesting that Movie Bob spends more time complaining about the fact they made another Shrek than actually *reviewing it*. I wonder if he even watched the movie as the items he pointed out were all in the trailer or discussed before it came out.

If I was not coming to Escapist for Zero Punctuation I would probably never bother to stop and watch Bob's reviews as all of the ones I have seen recently seem to spend more time commenting on why a movie was made more than actually discussing the *actual* movie. For the record I liked this movie as much as the first. Clearly, if you *did* see it, you went into it having pre-decided you hated it.

Seriously, Bob.. you though "How to train your dragon" was "ok". That statement alone tells me that you and I should *never* go to the movies together because I thought it was awesome and actually went back to see it two more times with different friends and laughed just as hard each time.

Thank you for taking the time to record your rant about how Dreamworks has sold out, maybe you should have reviewed MacGruber instead and talked about how over used SNL characters are, at least *that* would been worthy of the craptastic review.

I think the most important thing is that this series became what it set out to make fun of. Its premise was what made it popular in the first place. I never thought that donkey was charming -- I spent most of the 2nd movie praying for him to fall down a well and break it's neck. There's a reason that most stories end when the heroes settle down and do the family thing, no one wants to see it.

man, I didn't know Frank Frazetta died... is Boris Vallejo next?

Just to spite ya, I'ma going to see it anyway. ahahahahahahahahahaha. but really,I liked the shrek movies (mostly the second) and wouldlike to say: people who like shrekare going to see this anyway, those that do'nt,wo'nt. Plain and simple.

BTW It's actually Shrek 6-If you include the DVD Shrek Christmas, and Shrek 4D at Universal Studios. :D

Bob some of your reviews are very insightful and at times, quite funny. But when you try to convince everyone you have sophisticated tastes, I can't help but feel a little annoyed.

You seem more like a comic book nerd than a film critic unfortunantly and it's painfully obvious in the movies you seem to like/dislike. But then again, the odd part about me being putt off by some of your reviews is that I end up agreeing with you a majority of the time anyway(despite the "fanboyism" that sings and frolics whenever the movie contains superheros or any sci-fi elements in general).

For example- You claimed "District 9" was the one of the best movies of the 2009. After seeing the film three times, I still thought it was run-off the mill "already seen this before" nonsense. From that review I got the impression you just like thinking you're rooting for the underdog movie (even if it truly is just mediocre and empty). After all these aren't Indie flicks -_-

Also there seems to be this fascination with you and superheros (as mentioned before). Any film that has men in tights and you seem to be on board from the onset and you don't seem to mind sounding biased there either. I don't mind superhero movies, but I just see them as they are; comic book inspired revistitations of our childhood favorites.(usually remolded for modern mass consumption).

We also share common hatred for Michael Bay and most modern movies that get cranked out of Hollywood, so I'll definantly give you credit in that respect.

(Though I'm sure most rational beings dislike Michael Bay films, so it's sort of like saying I am against eating cyanide or eating children...it's not much of point of agreement).

As much as I loved the first and second movie, the series really petered out with the third.

Good to know I can avoid this one like the plaque. Unfortunately I'm also a huge fan of the Sands of Time Trilogy (well, technically it's a QUADigy now), and will be watching Sands of Time on Friday.

I know I won't like it...

GamerMage:
Just to spite ya, I'ma going to see it anyway. ahahahahahahahahahaha. but really,I liked the shrek movies (mostly the second) and wouldlike to say: people who like shrekare going to see this anyway, those that do'nt,wo'nt. Plain and simple.

Yes, because all the people saying "I liked the first two" but aren't going to see this movie (Including me, Ocean Runner, Tinneh, Ghostkai, Alar, and Ringo007) just don't exist. Hell, Tharwen didn't even bother with 3.

Johanthemonster666:
You seem more like a comic book nerd than a film critic unfortunantly ... I end up agreeing with you a majority of the time anyway.

If you end up agree with him the majority of the time then I think he must be doing something right.

let's not forget that a Puss In Boots spinoff of the Shrek series is coming out!
... anyone else think Shrek as sold their soul?

ViddWizard:
I find it interesting that Movie Bob spends more time complaining about the fact they made another Shrek than actually *reviewing it*. I wonder if he even watched the movie as the items he pointed out were all in the trailer or discussed before it came out.

If I was not coming to Escapist for Zero Punctuation I would probably never bother to stop and watch Bob's reviews as all of the ones I have seen recently seem to spend more time commenting on why a movie was made more than actually discussing the *actual* movie. For the record I liked this movie as much as the first. Clearly, if you *did* see it, you went into it having pre-decided you hated it.

Seriously, Bob.. you though "How to train your dragon" was "ok". That statement alone tells me that you and I should *never* go to the movies together because I thought it was awesome and actually went back to see it two more times with different friends and laughed just as hard each time.

Thank you for taking the time to record your rant about how Dreamworks has sold out, maybe you should have reviewed MacGruber instead and talked about how over used SNL characters are, at least *that* would been worthy of the craptastic review.

Preach it,Dude! I pray for our people. Are they really this stupid to think that we're stupid enough to buy this crap after this? Really? 3 was a stretch, but it was enjoyable. I might, read me, MIGHT see the Puss in boots spinoff (bit of a fan,Bandaras makes him cool ) but anything after this is a bit too much. And if 4 sucks, the game will proably be better. Makes ya wonder, don't it?

OK... I saw it ANNNND I loved it!
Bob; You were waaaaay off the mark on this one.

Yes. It's the Ogre version of "It's a wonderful life", who cares?!

-Is it a good theme to use? Yes.
-Was it emotionaly gripping to the point of bringing a tear to a glass eye? Yes.
-Was it a really good finale to decent series (dispite who dissapointing #3 was)? Yes.

-Would I reccomend it to my friends? OH HELL YES! (Especially if you want to score with the girl friend)

Another thing I recommend it "The Art of Shrek Forever"

Check out this cool Idea they had for Fiona!

My mom & I saw it today & we both loved it. We will buy the DVD too. I pretty much detest CG animation unless it's in games, but it just doesn't bother me in Shrek movies.

What we didn't love was the half hour of torture BEFORE the movie with all the insipid commercials & trailers for shit I'd rather blow my brains out than watch. I can't believe Avatar; the only cartoon more annoying than Naruto, got a f***ing movie.

ViddWizard:

What I really hate is the bias in the reviews. Like you said, they're more like rants. It's kinda like listening to the Chapp Brother's commentary on Homestar DVDs, where what they're talking about has little to do with what's going on. Another bad thing is that there's only 1 movie reviewer on this site. Why not two? Perhaps a woman or someone who has completely different tastes? They can review the same movies & the different opinions will encourage the viewers to think for themselves & decide who made the better debate. & if they both hated or loved a movie, than that's good too.

Maybe it's because I don't have "American taste," but I almost never agree with Ebert, Movie Bob, Phaelos, or Vaugn On Movies' reviews. I like what they hate, I hate what they like. Well, we agree on SOME things. Sometimes shit is not subjective. But it's also a fact that there's no movie that's ever been made that isn;t loved by at least a small handful of people.

likalaruku:
What I really hate is the bias in the reviews. Like you said, they're more like rants. It's kinda like listening to the Chapp Brother's commentary on Homestar DVDs, where what they're talking about has little to do with what's going on. Another bad thing is that there's only 1 movie reviewer on this site. Why not two? Perhaps a woman or someone who has completely different tastes? They can review the same movies & the different opinions will encourage the viewers to think for themselves & decide who made the better debate. & if they both hated or loved a movie, than that's good too.

Maybe it's because I don't have "American taste," but I almost never agree with Ebert, Movie Bob, Phaelos, or Vaugn On Movies' reviews. I like what they hate, I hate what they like. Well, we agree on SOME things. Sometimes shit is not subjective. But it's also a fact that there's no movie that's ever been made that isn;t loved by at least a small handful of people.

It seems to me that many reviewers (Bob included) feel they are "owed something". Like every movie should change their life some how. This approach seems like it would be like watching Aliens and then discussing how little they want to join the marines after seeing how whiny Hudson was. While I agree movies are made for our enjoyment and entertainment, unless you worked on the movie, they don't owe us more than that.

For me, I go see movies with two main parts in mind. FIRST is entertainment, did I enjoy what I watched. SECOND is escaping reality for a bit. Did I get swept away with the story. Now, if there is a failure in either of those, sure it's worth pointing out. For Example... Clash of the Titans. I enjoyed watching the movie, but the story was such a hodge-podge of "I hate the gods". "I hate I am part god", and "ooops I can't kill a god" it did detract from the movie. If I was to review Clash, I would point out some of those short comings. However, I would not rant about how little there needed to be another Clash, or how the studio sold out, etc, etc.

We need a new breed reviewer who comes from being a movie fan, not a movie reviewer. I love movies, stupid movies, silly movies, even horrid B-rated movies, simply for their horridness. So it's not "American Taste" that you don't have.. sounds like a love of movies you *do* have.

I HATE that goddamn smirk!!!! HATE IT!!! Why is it that every single animated character EVER needs to have that smirk?!?!?!?!

Say what you will about trashy Shrequels and second-rate Dreamworks stuff that has to compete with the best storytellers on the planet. I still thought Kung Fu Panda was a fully awesome movie.

Although I didn't see this movie I did get "How to train your dragon" from netflix today and I thought it was great!

I'm sorry to break this to you Bob, but i said the exact same thing about Star Wars after the third movie. Then came the prequel trilogy and that Cartoon Network shit. I said the same thing after BioShock 2, there is a BioShock 3 in the works. I said the same thing after Silent Hill 4. Now three different developers have taken stabs at it. I said the same thing about Resident Evil 4 so that the series could end on a high note, they made Resident Evil 5. I said the same thing about Sonic Adventures.
...do i need to go on? If a franchise has made a profit in the past, they'll keep milking it until the people responsible start getting "The Player" style death threats. There probably will be a Shrek 5, with zombies or Harry Potter.

I can't wait to hear what Bob has to say about the forthcoming Puss in Boots. Sequels usually can't measure up to their source material but what about spin-offs?

Its not ogre 'till i say its ogre!
Shrek 5 4ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook