They Call us Play-ers

They Call us Play-ers

Raise a glass to the puckish games that don't obey the rules.

Read Full Article

I enjoyed DMC4 when it broke the 4th wall. It was only a tiny thing but when you are playing as Dante, if you leave him standing still for too long he looks behind him at the camera and raises his hands as if to say "What are you doing, get on with it".

I was pleasantly surprised when it happened

I love how some games will break the 4th wall. As mentioned the scene in MGS4 was brilliant when everything was going crazy.

It creates for something just a little different

That reminds me of a few moments in MGS4, most notably Psycho Mantis.

That was a fun little moment :P

And I find it funny when games do this. Sure it breaks immersion for some people, but I find it a welcome change from the "grim, gritty, and super-serious" tones most games try, and fail at setting.

I read in a preview for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 that Deadpool will constantly break the 4th wall. One example was he takes his own health bar and beats the opponent with it. It will be interesting to play with him when the game comes out.

Contact for DS had a REALLY neat way of addressing the player, and it made for a touching ending to the game. I highly recommend it!

Hulyen:
and it made for a touching ending to the game.

Nice DS pun there!

I always love it when games break the fourth wall. It makes normally boring sections such as tutorials actually enjoyable.

This is off-topic a bit but a lot of people I know don't really seem to have fun when gaming but just do it to rank up in something.

The mexican pirates in Lost Planet 2. Everything they did made me smile. They were just such silly characters compared to the relative seriousness of the other factions.

4th-wall breaking is fun in any medium, I find. But I don't really agree with this article. I'd say "games are playful" is limiting. Because games aren't games any more. They're a whole complex of experiences of which the game part is often only a small element. Like any medium, how seriously games should take themselves depends on the game and what it's trying to achieve.

I always loved this in the Metal Gear series!

I do think that MGS 3 had the best one though, the one about his feelings about the cardboard box.
Too bad I can't find a transcript at the moment.

No mention of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? Between trying to tell you that your Gamecube was broken and all the other f-ed up things that happened when you let your sanity run low, that game played with you as much as you played it.

i would just like to point out a minor error in the article . . .

"The first Metal Gear game uses other Konami saves on your memory card to pretend to read your mind, saying "You like Castlevania, don't you?" if a save for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is found. And in Metal Gear 2, Raiden is told that the mission has failed and he must "Turn the game console off right now!"

I think you mean Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. The First Metal Gear was released for the MSX2 in japan and ported to the NES for us release, and Metal Gear 2 was release only on japan on the MSX2 though later it was ported to mobile devices and included with Metal Gear Solid 3

I agree with the article really. Games are games first. Everything else is second to the gaming aspect. If you're not having fun with the game, then said game has failing in being what it was created as. A game.

And 4th wall breaking makes me giggle every time when it's done awesomely.

One point of contention:

Discussions about whether games are art, or narrative vehicles or able to handle complex moral scenarios are missing the point. These questions make sense when applied to other less playful media, but we need to let games stand on their own merits.

While I agree that games do have their own unique merits, I don't believe that obviates those other, more traditional questions. Interactive art has existed for decades, much of it encouraging play. That games can represent narrative vehicles should not be in doubt; one need only look at the evolution from novel to CYOA book to modern interactive fiction.

Again, I do believe that it is the unique quality of games which make them so fascinating, but I do believe there is room for discussion to be had about games and their relations with other forms of media.

Nice reference to the Select button trick in Link's Awakening. I spent hours glitching my way around the game with that back in the day...

And I agree. My favorite part of Metal Gear Solid 4 is still the part where Otacon tells you to change the disc, and then realizes the game is on PS3 and blu-ray. Then Snake yells at him. Good stuff.

Special message to the author of this article:

Metal Gear is an MSX game (also ported to the NES). Metal Gear Solid is a Playstation game. Learn the difference, it could save lives.

P.S. Thanks

Awesome is an understatement for things like this :D

i loved it in monkey island 4 where u look at an iron maiden torture device and he says 'IRON MAIDEN YEAAA!!! I have no idea why i just said that' :)

kinda breaking the fourth wall i think

I always loved that MGS never took itself too seriously. Theres a bit in the first Metal Gear Solid when you lose a keycard in a drainage ditch. Master calls up and says: "A rat must've eaten it."

"A rat? That's just ridiculous," Snake retorts.

"It's the only explanation," says Master Miller, "Rats eat all sorts of things. And there's nothing ridiculous about that..."

It sums up the attitude of MGS entirely. It's a bit like True Lies in that respect. It's ridiculous, but it knows that it's ridiculous.

mjc0961:

And I agree. My favorite part of Metal Gear Solid 4 is still the part where Otacon tells you to change the disc, and then realizes the game is on PS3 and blu-ray. Then Snake yells at him. Good stuff.

Or whenever you fight the reincarnation of Psycho Mantis - if you try to reassign the controller to controller 2 on the PS3 he shouts at you: "Did you really think that would work this time!?"

"YES! Rumble feature is back!!" Love it. I actually got the Suikoden message in MGS. I like this article because it brings up the fact that games are supposed to be fun and be about playing before anything else.

Brian Name:
Or whenever you fight the reincarnation of Psycho Mantis - if you try to reassign the controller to controller 2 on the PS3 he shouts at you: "Did you really think that would work this time!?"

This may very well be the coolest thing I have heard about MGS4 thus far.

MrPop:

Hulyen:
and it made for a touching ending to the game.

Nice DS pun there!

I always love it when games break the fourth wall. It makes normally boring sections such as tutorials actually enjoyable.

This is off-topic a bit but a lot of people I know don't really seem to have fun when gaming but just do it to rank up in something.

Whoops, would you believe it was unintentional?

Slightly cheesy, but I liked that bit in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, when you're being harassed by three Sabbat, and one turns towards the camera and says:

"Those of you in the first few rows, will get wet."

Covarr:
Special message to the author of this article:

Metal Gear is an MSX game (also ported to the NES). Metal Gear Solid is a Playstation game. Learn the difference, it could save lives.

P.S. Thanks

Since we're on that topic, how about that bit in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake when you have to get into the base, but the guards only go in at night so you have to trick the guards into thinking it's nighttime by using an owl. In broad daylight.

And it works.

Man all this MGS talk makes me want to play it for the first time.

What am I missing out on guys? All I know about it is its CGI cutscenes are OBSCENELY long but people still love the game.

Irridium:
That reminds me of a few moments in MGS4, most notably Psycho Mantis.

That was a fun little moment :P

And I find it funny when games do this. Sure it breaks immersion for some people, but I find it a welcome change from the "grim, gritty, and super-serious" tones most games try, and fail at setting.

I read in a preview for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 that Deadpool will constantly break the 4th wall. One example was he takes his own health bar and beats the opponent with it. It will be interesting to play with him when the game comes out.

Deadpool knows he is a Comic Book character too, and when you fight him in MUA2 he says "Time for a boss battle!"

well articulted.

Surely games are created to suit a variety of moods and tastes? Whereas you just described the one that suited you best and made the case for it being the only valid one.

I mean it's great to recognise these games, but in all honesty most of the games that try to do fourth wall humour aren't funny. I tend to find even the games which aim to be funny/light hearted are completely rubbish compared to any decent comedian any stage of the day. Whereas I play Metal Gear Solid because the climax is more dramatic and involving than most decent action movies and books.

Sure light-hearted games can be great and suit some peoples tastes but I don't think you have a case at all for suggesting that games are meant to be like that. That's like saying all books should be light hearted because HitchHikers guide was fantastic.

I think it was in one of the Splinter Cell games that Sam asks his boss 'Three Alarms and I'm Out?' to which the chief replies 'Of course not, Sam. This isn't a video game!' In the first two games, setting off three alarms caused the mission to fail.

I also can't forget watching my sisters play the Sly Cooper games in which the characters actively reminded themselves to 'press the x button to jump, and the circle button to land on a spire'.

tjoris9:
No mention of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? Between trying to tell you that your Gamecube was broken and all the other f-ed up things that happened when you let your sanity run low, that game played with you as much as you played it.

Well said. While not -AS- scary today, considering the sub-par graphics and all the game certainly put quite a scare into people way back then. Eternal Darkness is as far as I know the only game who has tried to tell you that the game was over before it actually ended.

While not breaking the 4th wall per see, Psyconauts had some meta-gaming fun as well.

While walking through what can only be described as a flooded school room in a sewer, Raz says
"This reminds me of my time in high school, which is weird cause I'm only 10."

Hilarious.

LordOfInsanity:
I agree with the article really. Games are games first. Everything else is second to the gaming aspect. If you're not having fun with the game, then said game has failing in being what it was created as. A game.

I agree as well. If you're not having fun with the game, then why play it? I know there are games that are out there now that are created to have stunning artwork but the gameplay is very mediocre. There are games that are designed to make your computer speakers shake and your hardware to be pushed to its limits, but it has a terrible storyline. The cool thing about it though is that that is fun to some people. Play a game that is fun to you. If you're not having fun though, then the game isn't doing its job.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here