Critical Miss: #6

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The real reason why we'll likely never see a Final Fantasy VII remake.

Read Full Article

I am loving this comic!

The menu at the top is a welcome addition........one that I just noticed now....

Yup, pretty funny.
Although the tagline is a bit misleading. Imo, even the horrors of "realizing your own descending into mediocrity" can't compare to "money".

I'm enjoying the series so far

hehe, that was funny.

I'm surprised they haven't remade it yet.

A remake would be good for everyone.

The fans get their game.
Square gets mountains of money.
And the rest of us will finally be able to live in a world where we don't have to hear everyone beg for a remake.

Go for it, I say! Go for it!

Great comic!

lol ok this one was good

they arent remaking it because they are still making money pplz

the second they become irrelevant they will announce the remake of FF7 :D cause as the comic points out. MONEYZ!

Yeah, FF7 would sell. Not only to the fans of the game/series, but to all the people who've been suffering through the worship tossed at the game without having any idea what the big deal is and wanting to check it out. Also, the new generation who were too young the first time around, and would get sucked into the hype event horizon. I'm fairly certain there'd be teams of fans dressed as Cloud/Sephiroth going around with guns and forcing people to buy the remake.

And then they'd start demanding another remake...

Loved that one. Keep up the, frankly, excellent work!

May I also announce that FF7 and the Kingdom Hearts series are the only JRPG's I've ever liked. But don't give us a damn remake. I personally don't think it'd work. Plus, people would find a way to cock it up, like most remakes.

Honestly, I want to see a remake, but then I think that nobody would like it. I think FF7 was one of those games we look back on and think "OMG THAT WAS THE BEST GAME EVAR!" even though it had a lot of things that we'd likely find a little stupid now. FF7 was the game that got me into gaming though, and I'd buy the remake in a heartbeat, as would everyone else in the gaming community.

first you get the power, then you get the money, the you get the chocobos.

Epic! Truly epic. Although I wouldn't say it's such a bad translation. It's not perfect, but the difference between good enough writing and perfect is non-existent to most people (especially when playing video games)

zombie711:

I'd like to see what happened to the Chocobo in issue 2 of this comic happen in a FF game.

If they remade the game a couple of things would need to change, for example I find it annoying that when I have a limit break if I want to do a normal attack I have to use that limit break, when at times I might want to save it for a later battle.

jackanderson:
Loved that one. Keep up the, frankly, excellent work!

May I also announce that FF7 and the Kingdom Hearts series are the only JRPG's I've ever liked. But don't give us a damn remake. I personally don't think it'd work. Plus, people would find a way to cock it up, like most remakes.

I don't know dude, Square's Final Fantasy Tactics remake arguably did nothing but improve the game.

As I said a while ago, it must be hard to make tons of games and still have a large portion of your most loyal fans care only about something you made more than a decade ago.

Could it be that simple? Money is the answer to everything?

Scary fact is it is true too...hehe. For many FF fans (Even myself) 7 represents everything which is epic and awesome for FF

This was very funny. I just chimed in to say that the reason I laughed at this one was because the punchline was in the fourth panel, not the third panel followed by an anticlimactic fourth panel as has been the case for the last couple of comics. Keep it up.

Would this topic just die already? I think they've made it pretty clear that it's just not happening. I don't even get why people want a remake so much. Playstation-era graphics just not good enough for you? Jeez, your eyes must bleed whenever you see a picture of space invaders or pac-man or whatever. It's starting to turn into a sort of pseudo-Duke Nukem Forever situation; the game that everyone still kinda expects, but that never comes.

Then again, they still make comics about Duke Nukem, so it's fair cop where humour is concerned. An okay comic, but not the best. I look forward to more.

nice one =]

and as for no FF7 remake, ah poo

They'd be better off releasing FFVII as a manga or something rather than a game. Is your definition of truly great gaming sitting there and wishing the cut-scenes would end so you could get sucked into the same five random battles over an over again?

I really want to like this.
But I just can't.

Hmm, few webcomics I can withstand. This one obviously belongs to the select few. Keep them up!

that pretty much sums it up

I conclude that somebody at Square is allergic to money

I can see that Square has a missed opportunity.

Andronicus:
Would this topic just die already? I think they've made it pretty clear that it's just not happening.

I'm all for dropping the subject. I will when Square execs stop cock teasing the fans about it.

And lets be honest here, when the money dries up, when they've driven the last disney character out of Kingdom Hearts and when fans finally wise up that the Final Fantasy series is never going to get the magic back, then we'll see the remake. And it will be horrible.

I for one adore the game but for the wrong reasons apparently. The story and characters are mostly garbage and the gameplay melts away into nothingness when you get 'big guard' but the melancholic atmosphere (particularly in and around Midgar) has been matched by very few games. A remake wouldn't be about the atmosphere though. It'd be about people with spikey hair flying around and shouting at each other.

I don't understand how anyone can say the translations of the new games and the remakes are improvements. Those old poorly translated games had WAY more enjoyable scripts than the weeaboo angstfests Square is famous for now. Every remake Square has ever released in the US has come out inferior to its original release, with the exception of FF4DS and only because the original FF2's script on SNES was a disaster. FF6 Advance, Chrono Trigger DS, FFT: War of the Lions, Star Ocean: Second Evolution, all the other Square remakes I've played have been insults to the source material.

If this is what the Japanese games have been like from the beginning, then I'd say their early translations were improvements.

Ha! Keep these coming!

My newest favorite comic on the Escapist. =D

zombie711:

i like

I cannot possible be the only one that noticed they call him Yoichi "Mada" can I?

Other than that, I guess it's an okay joke.

lol!

Sadly its true, Square has with soooooo much wait raised the expectations to such an enormous and nearly impossible to reach level that no matter how good the FFVII remake is it will still be a disappointment to many. What Square will end up getting is enormous backlash from the gamer community... Oh and also money.

Definitely better than your last one. Keep up the good work.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here