Science!: Tongue Breathing and Synthetic Cells

Science!: Tongue Breathing and Synthetic Cells

Inside: Kevin Costner will single-handedly fix the oil spill fiasco.

Read Full Article

"Should man be creating life?"

Of course! It's about time we dropped this cosmic slave mentality.

I think the toung thing was really cool, maybe because i love animals.

This biological breakthrough comes with its share of controversy. Some researchers are claiming that the term "synthetic cell" is misleading, since Venter and team didn't so much create new life, but just modified already existing life. President Obama and co. have also expressed concern about the report, claiming that it raised "genuine concerns" within the administration. Obama has asked the White House bioethics commission to start researching concerns over synthetic biology and get back to him in 6 months with its findings. The concerns range from safety and security of introducing synthetic DNA and genomes into a living system, and the non-physical; should mankind be "creating life?"

Wow, someone is being oversensitive. They just strung some DNA together and put it into a pre-existing cell. While the actual execution is very complicated, the concept is very simple. It's a lot like replacing the processor in your computer with one you've built yourself. With a kid's toolbox.

This is completely awesome. Biotechnology, here we come! Should i preorder my indoor banana/apple tree, or should i wait for the reviews?

Hehe. Go go kostner. Serioulsy though the oil situation needs sorting

I'm looking forward to all the implications in the areas of energy and food production. We could create bacteria to speed up the natural biodegrading process, and so allow for faster re-fertilisation of fields. Or perhaps greater levels of production for currently vat-grown drugs like insulin.

Damn, this is cool.

Well it is more accurately an organic cell with a synthetic genome at its core not a synthetic cell. That is like claiming we are making fish-people by putting on scuba gear.

Good on you scientists. Sooner or later people have to learn that progress is always going to bring controversy. This is a logical step to benefit mankind. So long as it is studied and utilized with the utmost care and the utmost responsiblity there shouldn't be an issue.

Because bioterrorism isn't easy enough yet >:|

I think it's dangerous because this same artificial dna takes over a cell could be used to modify the dna of a full sized creature, like say: me, eventually. And i like being me.

LightOfDarkness:
Because bioterrorism isn't easy enough yet >:|

Of course. That's why there's regular bioterror attacks in Europe and North America that have killed thousands of people every month and are seen in the news all the time.

</sarcasm>

Terrorism is not as easy as everyone thinks. And if people stopped running scared maybe we wouldn't be handing freedoms away and spending billions defending against bogeymen. (And then terrorism would be even harder - it's only worthwhile if you know it'll make your target fearful.)

With each new tool comes both good and evil uses; we can't let the fear of negative overshadow the changes of positive.

Even if a specific human is not, humanity as a whole is fundamentally good. Society would collapse if we weren't. Any tool will be used more by good than evil.

Ever onwards, ever upwards.

Leave it to Costner to provide sucking as a solution to the problem.

Joking aside, I think the centrifuge plan is rather solid. Let's just hope they can keep the Smokers at bay while they get this cleaned up.

While the turtles, Kevin Costner's sucking machine, and monkeys with communication are all interesting, I was hooked on the talk of biotechnology.

I understand that scientists have been creating pseudo-cells for some time now (creating them from scratch, not taking another cell and mutating it as is here), but the idea of being able to manipulate cells this way? It's fascinating! I suppose people could say it's also frightening, as movies like Splice might not necessarily be too far-fetched, but so what? We already have a billion ways to kill ourselves.

Adding one more that might also cure cancer, fight starvation, and provide people with real health benefits seems like it will be worth the risk.

We make guns, don't we? Guns really only have one purpose. This is highly varied and can be used for almost anything biological you can imagine (I, for one, cannot wait until they have a cure for upset stomach that you don't have to take over and over again).

Glad the EPA managed to find an excuse to tell that guy to stop using the toxic stuff and start using the not so toxic stuff. This whole oil spill thing is too complicated.

The synthetic cell thing is... weird. I wonder if it's the first step of a new kind of bioengineering or just another step in the current bioengineering. I wouldn't know, I just think bionengineering is a cool word.

I read about Costner coming to the rescue last week. I hope his device works and it isn't just some publicity stunt. If it does, major kudos to him

This is how every science fiction horror movie begins. "WE ONLY THOUGHT THAT THE CELLS WOULD SUCK UP THE Co2, WE DIDN'T THINK THEY WOULD SUCK UP ALL THE OXYGEN!!WHY DID WE PLAY GOD!!!!!"

and then we get only one month to live

nice job guys.

spartan231490:
I think it's dangerous because this same artificial dna takes over a cell could be used to modify the dna of a full sized creature, like say: me, eventually. And i like being me.

Nope. lol

I thought that bit about Costner was a joke. A stark parody based off how much Waterworld sucked. I suppose if your acting career is going downhill you can always invent a machine that cleans up oil spills.

I for one welcome our new head shaking, bioengineered, oil suck and spinning overlords.

soapyshooter:
I read about Costner coming to the rescue last week. I hope his device works and it isn't just some publicity stunt. If it does, major kudos to him

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT? THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!

An actor actually doing something to benefit the world isn't going to happen. It can't happen! It would break the universe worse than dividing by zero!!!

Not thrilled at this causing controversy, given that this is the field I'm currently studying and hope to get a job in.

Hope Kevin's machine will work. Theoretically speaking should work as it uses centrifugation principles to split the mixture of water and oil. But probbaly won't work fast enough but could work if they had more machines. And actually I am surprised nobody else came up with this idea to control oil spillage as similar but much smaller devices are used in thousands of labs around the world. Even if it doesn't work Kudos for Kostner to at least trying it.

Hmm... didn't know Costner was in the business of building centrifugal separators.

That technology actually works pretty well for separating substances with different densities. Hopefully they'll work well enough to reduce some of the damage this fiasco is doing to the environment.

And synthetic life is probably the best approach to genetic engineering. You try to tweak an existing bacteria's genome and who knows what other traits are going to be affected. You create a bacteria with an artificial genome, you know what's in it, how it's going to work, and how to kill it if it gets out of hand.

So, does that technology mean we can revive extinct species by inserting their DNA into cells and replicating them? Not sure if you could form a zygote like that though...

I'm calling this now: if we actually create genuine artificial life, it better not become sentient and demand rights and freedoms. Racism is choppy enough already; we don't need things that are, in fact, different from us to be hateful toward.

But glad to hear that celebs are chipping in for the environment. Bummer about the otters :/

Personally i don't see anything wrong with synthetic life, even if it does become sentient and can't breathe our air and demand we change the atmosphere for them,nothing could possibly go wrong!
/sarcasm

joking aside... dibs on the algae.

the idiot computer:
Personally i don't see anything wrong with synthetic life, even if it does become sentient and can't breathe our air and demand we change the atmosphere for them,nothing could possibly go wrong!
/sarcasm

joking aside... dibs on the algae.

Sentience is tricky. Never mind developing it in a lab, some humans only have a rudimentary grasp on their own!

Man, and i thought i had a talented tounge.. damn turtles.

That tongue shot is adorable... makes me miss the ones I had back when I was a kiddo ;_;

Just one question about Costner suckage, wouldn't the sucking bring some small crustaceans and whatnots for a fun water spin?
If it does I can see see Crush spinning around going totally "Wow duuuuuude!".

The pie'd part this is that for every moment they bitch and moan about the oil spill my home state is that much closer to having their ecosystem messed up in a big way.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here