Review: Red Dead Redemption

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I will get this!

Also, DAMNIT, MR. PITTS, WHAT THE F*CK IS AN "'ERB"?

It's got a H for a reason you damned colonial! :P

Sounds fantastic, the only problem is that every time I try to use a controller knob to aim, I feel gimped, like having an arm bound behind your back.

A western game thats actually really really good.

*Insert Halleluyuh music here*

I'm actually going to have to dispute that just roaming around is the most fun to have in this game.

I come from a school of gaming where the best experience I can possibly have is a good story, told well and paced to perfection. Open world games are largely a "make your own story" type of affair, but as brilliant as the random interactions with other people and the environment are in Read Dead Redemption, I still feel like the actual missions outshine everything else.

I mean yeah, I probably have split my time something like 60/40 between missions and everything else respectively, but the way everyone's going on about the amount of stuff there is to do in this game, you'd think it would be 60/40 in favour of the everything else side. I don't think there is actually as much to do here as people say there is, or maybe that's a flaw with my own creativity in playing the game.

Either way, I'm just playing devil's advocate and RDR is the most fun I've had playing a video game since GTA4 came out. GTA4 was the only open world game that I could dick about in for 12 hours at a time and not get bored ONCE, whereas with this game the most I've managed is a 6 hour sitting with a few bored spots, but for some reason it doesn't seem to matter.
This game is far more than the sum of its parts to me, and I suppose that's the point, and it's one of the finest pieces of art to grace this generation of games thus far.

Gets a solid 9/10 from me.

Hmm, kind of a dilemma. The (3d) GTA games never did it for me, but I'm not sure whether that's because of the style or because of the actual gameplay. And I think I'll love the style and atmosphere of Red Dead Redemption.

Anyone who had a similar experience with GTA, who can tell me whether he or she likes Red Dead Redemption?

Also, I suppose this game has about the same amount of content as a regular sandbox game?

Darth_Dude:

Moloboen:
I ordered a ps3 just so i could play this game:D can't wait!

You know it's on the 360 and the PC right?

No its not on the pc yet and I dont have a xbox. Pluss a friend got it and I taught I might play with him

Moloboen:

Darth_Dude:

Moloboen:
I ordered a ps3 just so i could play this game:D can't wait!

You know it's on the 360 and the PC right?

No its not on the pc yet and I dont have a xbox. Pluss a friend got it and I taught I might play with him

Oh ok, my bad.

Onyx Oblivion:
Fantastic single-player. I've just arrived at Mexico...and don't have a SINGLE CRIME on my in-game crime stats menu. I'm as honorable as they come.

I hate the online, though.

Everyone just kills each other in free roam...and there's no "Friendly fire off" option. Even playing with friends, we accidentally pistol whip each other to death in close quarters fights against bandits.

And the actual multiplayer modes are...terrible.

Although, I do like how your character auto-runs in MP. I'm sick of holding A for pretty much the entire game to run...GTA IV did that, too. Pissed me off.

I hate the people online. A bunch of trigger-happy, uncooperative morons, the whole lot of 'em.

The singleplayer is brilliant though. I've just gotten to Mexico as well (And I am now sporting a very fashionable poncho :P) and I'm loving every minute of this game's singleplayer. All the little things that make up the atmosphere (Like the silent films, the newspaper vendors, hunting game, breaking horses, collecting flowers, etc.) make it a very enthralling experience.

TheXRatedDodo:
I'm actually going to have to dispute that just roaming around is the most fun to have in this game.

I come from a school of gaming where the best experience I can possibly have is a good story, told well and paced to perfection. Open world games are largely a "make your own story" type of affair, but as brilliant as the random interactions with other people and the environment are in Read Dead Redemption, I still feel like the actual missions outshine everything else.

I mean yeah, I probably have split my time something like 60/40 between missions and everything else respectively, but the way everyone's going on about the amount of stuff there is to do in this game, you'd think it would be 60/40 in favour of the everything else side. I don't think there is actually as much to do here as people say there is, or maybe that's a flaw with my own creativity in playing the game.

Either way, I'm just playing devil's advocate and RDR is the most fun I've had playing a video game since GTA4 came out. GTA4 was the only open world game that I could dick about in for 12 hours at a time and not get bored ONCE, whereas with this game the most I've managed is a 6 hour sitting with a few bored spots, but for some reason it doesn't seem to matter.
This game is far more than the sum of its parts to me, and I suppose that's the point, and it's one of the finest pieces of art to grace this generation of games thus far.

Gets a solid 9/10 from me.

I completely agree, even in sandbox games I usually spend most of the time doing story missions, and that's great because RDR's story missions are a blast. I do side missions on occasion, usually as a little breather in between story missions, but it's usually not until my second playthrough that I go side mission nuts.

On a somewhat related note: I was not expecting some parts of RDR to be so brutal, like the mission at Ridgewood farm when

I have to hand it to Russ, I'm usually not the biggest fan of his reviews, but he is certainly getting better and this review was pretty decent over all. funny too! :0)

I have really been enjoying this game. I think it is my favorite Rock Star game by far.

Uncompetative:
After spending a 'night' through to the break of dawn clearing a bandit hideout, I realised what this game reminded me of...

Oblivion.

...only with guns and a far larger, multiplayer, environment.

I thought Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns! :-3

I'm interested. I once thought the idea of a Grand Theft Horse would be a funny prank, but if it works, it works.

This kinda sorta looks like what Gun should have been.

Great review. Even without the mention of the lasso, which doubles the pleasure to be had in this great game.

Impluse_101:

*ahem*

and..yay RDR <3

How i love it so

What, nothing about the multiplayer side? This is where the fun's at after you finish the singleplayer!

Overall, RDR is a very, very good game, and an AMAZING "Old West" themed game.

Best cowboy game ever.

The Disk Thrower:

Impluse_101:

*ahem*

and..yay RDR <3

How i love it so

It is funny that many people mention Gun but only a few come to think about
Red Dead Revolver

I think I will get an XBox now....

Crazy_Bird:

The Disk Thrower:

Impluse_101:

*ahem*

and..yay RDR <3

How i love it so

It is funny that many people mention Gun but only a few come to think about
Red Dead Revolver

...your link is fail :P

let me fix that

Red Dead Revolver

also..very true...maybe Gun was just better accepted?

Looks awesome, like, really awesome!

1 question though, what's that orange bullettime thingy?

Very good game, possibly my GOTY already (though ME2 did come out this year...) but I must say I have an issue with it...or two. This is just relating to the "end-game" and what happens afterwards.

So yea, a great game, but DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THE MAIN MISSIONS. Seriously, I know they are good, but take your time with them.

EDIT- Ok, I finished playing. I get it now. Good twist.

wouldyoukindly99:
I hate the people online. A bunch of trigger-happy, uncooperative morons, the whole lot of 'em.

Not so. You just have to find the right bunch. And have a few on your friends list and then play private. Public is just....well, there are cool people and then there are jerks. But it's hard to wade through the jerks to find the cool people.

If you're on PS3 you can come play with my cool people and see what online multiplayer can be like when it's actually fun.

Caenis:

wouldyoukindly99:

Not so. You just have to find the right bunch. And have a few on your friends list and then play private. Public is just....well, there are cool people and then there are jerks. But it's hard to wade through the jerks to find the cool people.

If you're on PS3 you can come play with my cool people and see what online multiplayer can be like when it's actually fun.

Thank you for the offer, I'd be happy to. :)

The only thing that still bugs me is that I was playing with two of my friends and the Gang hideouts were insultingly easy, we blew through one or two of them in about twenty minutes (Excluding travel time). My friend says they up the difficulty when you have more people, is that true?

It's hard to say, because I play with such a different variety of people. Could be harder, or could just be who I'm playing with.

We've recently had the most fun working on our outlaw challenges. I had my bounty up to $10,000 last night.

Add me, if you like: StirFryKitty

I laughed hard at the telegram part.
Keep being witty, Escapist!

*Disclaimer* RDR is an amazing game, responsible for many hours of lost sleep (11A.M. to 3A.M. one day). Now, I'd like to talk about some of the faults I found in the game that kept it from being a perfect 10/10

-Inefficient controls: sometimes I feel like the game is designed to be played by people with four thumbs, like shooting on horseback while maintaining speed. The weapon selection menu should pause the game like in Dragon Age; I've died about 10 times because I was trying to change my gun and got shot down because you can't move while in the menu.

-Not enough information in the menus: after the initial tutorials, there is no way to access them again. I found dueling to be extremely confusing and there was no explanation of it in the game menus or the instruction manual.

-There should have been more side quests: just add a few more quicker and more easily accessible side quests.

-Making money is extremely unbalanced: sure, you can gamble at poker or blackjack, but that will take at least half an hour per game. Playing five-finger fillet takes one minute and nets you 100 dollars. Easily spammable.

-Not much incentive to explore: I spent 90% of the game on horse trails or railroad tracks because there was no apparent reason to explore the game world. Perhaps if the unexplored areas were blacked out like in WoW, I would at least have a reason to explore.

-Combat is somewhat cheapened by auto-aiming: every encounter I was in, I just tapped LT, aimed an inch up, and I got a headshot. It was almost too easy. Also, dots on the radar are too big to accurately tell where they are.

-Glitches: On multiple occasions I found a bounty on my head for no reason whatsoever and randomly failed missions as soon as they started.

-The save system leaves something to be desired.

If you haven't bought this game, don't be discouraged by this list. Red Dead is awesome and these are just little complaints. You must buy it.

Okay, so I bet the game on single player, and I gotta say, was anyone else as sad as I was about the way it ended?

Oh thy great gamer in the sky...let there be a PC version.

HarmanSmith:
\
-Combat is somewhat cheapened by auto-aiming: every encounter I was in, I just tapped LT, aimed an inch up, and I got a headshot. It was almost too easy. Also, dots on the radar are too big to accurately tell where they are.

You can change it to snap on or full manual aiming in the options. I would actually recommend doing so.

Hurr Durr Derp:
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for this to come out on PC.

I want it I want it I want it!

Ditto, and I'm not even a fan of westerns go figure. It's just that not much else out there atm unless you're into yet another war FPS.

Audioave10:
Oh thy great gamer in the sky...let there be a PC version.

Seems like we've both found faith again. PC's are gods and I am foever in your service ;)

STOP. not funny

I love this game just like I loved GTA 4, but I can't help but feel that it's just as flawed as GTA4 was.

I don't find the missions to be all that compelling, but the world is just a wonderful place to play in.

I was incredibly underwhelmed with this one. Graphics are sub-par, gun-play is laughable, it's short and the multiplayer is hugely lacking in the fun department. There's just no real drive to do anything in multiplayer aside from unlockables but it seems like they are more of a gimmick/carrot-on-a-stick than a legitimate bit of content, most of the guns are pretty much identical in look and fire-power and few of the unlockable costumes are interesting.

I would also like to point out how often Russ Pitts kisses major corporate ass in his reviews. It seems like the majority of the reviews on the website by other reviewers point out major flaws in games (many that don't even exist at times) but whenever a 'major' title is released Russ Pitts grabs the microphone and rambles about/embellishes the positives of a game without really explaining the negatives. Any 'minor' game release; the reviewers focus on the negatives, any 'major' release and Russ Pitts pipes up to focus on the positives. Such is the clever trickery of the corporate media.

I was very excited to get this game and, while every element of it is fantastic, it seems to suffer from GTA IV's mission design theme, which was "go here, kill stuff" without any real diversity that the previous Rockstar titles had. Don't get me wrong, its easily the best Wild West themed game I've played, but the storyline seems to follow GTA IV also, with the loose "i came here to exact revenge" thing tying together a whole string of characters who won't help you until you help them with some inconsequential list of tasks... its a tad tedious to be quite honest.

Maybe the online component will make up for it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here