Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 26 NEXT

t_rexaur:
No mention of the online and/or multiplayer aspect? Still good episode as always.

On a side note to people actually take what Yatzee says at face value? I mean you'd have to be pretty silly to do that since if you did every game apart from Adventure Island Dizzy would be shit and you'd never play anything, ever.

I agree completely with what you say, I mean I personally love Monster Hunter, and obviously he just didn't put in the effort the game needs, because I know how good it it. Its worrying to see just how many people can be put off a game based on one of Ben's reviews.

lol awesome reveiw, I don't want to TRI this game lol

but I hope yahtzee does alan wake next, despight it's a awesome game, I want to see yahtzee rip the shit out of it, as ever!

Yahtzee, what do you think of the upcoming Bulletstorm? It's made by Epic Games and People Can Fly.

Also, where the fuck is Red Dead Redemption?

I don't understand the point Yahtzee is trying to make about Japanese gamers. It's not like gamers outside Japan are any less likely to play "cutesy", non-violent games. The popularity of things like Farmville and Wii Fitness Resort proves this. If anything, Harvest Moon is at least marginally better then Farmville since you won't spend real-life money for it.

Plus, considering the fact that Japan is the home of many violent video games, I would say that Japanese gamers have a better stomach for it then non-Japanese gamers.

I played the previous game of that style and to be honest - Pokemon on GBA is more interesting XD

milskidasith:
There are no Kut-Kus in monster hunter tri, and Rathalos is pretty close to endgame for offline. I doubt he even got to the Great Jaggi, though.

They changed the monster progression? That's kind of lame... Yeah, I haven't played it yet, Starcraft 2 is eating up all my time, but I've spent a ton of time on Freedom and Unite, and I know MH3 isn't that much different. Still can't believe they took out Kut-Kus...

Neoky:
Dreyfuss:

You and I both know that gathering isn't 1/100th of the game. It's more like 99/100th of the game.

I was talking about 1/100 of the game length. That would be obvious if you weren't trying so hard to strawman me. He didn't even get past 1* village quests from the sound of it. Gathering is 1/2 the game, and 1/2 of the gathering drops off monsters, so 3/4s of the game is hunting monsters, which is awesome, and the other 1/4 is simulation stuff to make it feel more authentic, which is also awesome unless you're only interested in godmod games give you laser eyes and point you at a horde of worthless peons that can barely fight. That's supposed to be fun?

Jdb:
Monster Hunter Tri is a grinding game. I despise grinding games. But I wanted to give Monster Hunter Tri a chance because I thought it would be different. I thought it would be different because in Monster Hunter Tri, you only grind armor. This is opposed to every other grinding game, where you grind levels in addition to armor. Monster Hunter Tri is also a challenging game. And I love challenging games. But in the end, I was disappointed.

Offline and Low-Rank Online modes have tolerable levels of grind. But High-Rank Online is a grind fest. It is a grind fest because you will inevitably encounter equipment that requires items that have a low drop rate - Around a 10% chance or less. And this is equipment you can't skip out on either. Expect to fight the same boss monster 20+ times just for one item.

An example of the grind fest that is High-Rank Online - I fought a boss monster 12 times just for one item in High-Rank Online. The worst part is, this was for an item that is supposed to be common - Lagiarcus Horn+. Lagiarcus Horn+ is supposed to have a 40% chance to drop. It took me 7 regular Horns, 2 Lagiarcus Plates, and 2 Lagia Sapphires before I got one Horn+. And the items I just mentioned have a drop rate that is 20% or less. And I still needed 3 more Horn+ to make the item I needed. I didn't feel like playing anymore after that.

Kind of creepy that you have my initials for a screen name... but regardless, you do know that the same monster has different drop rates at different Hunter Ranks, right? You were probably fighting the monster at a lower HR than the guide you were reading was written for.

AwesomeFerret:

t_rexaur:
No mention of the online and/or multiplayer aspect? Still good episode as always.

On a side note to people actually take what Yatzee says at face value? I mean you'd have to be pretty silly to do that since if you did every game apart from Adventure Island Dizzy would be shit and you'd never play anything, ever.

I agree completely with what you say, I mean I personally love Monster Hunter, and obviously he just didn't put in the effort the game needs, because I know how good it it. Its worrying to see just how many people can be put off a game based on one of Ben's reviews.

Actually i think he likes the games really, but we love him for his anger. If he tried to do a reveiw where he explains how brilliant it is, I think we would lose intrest and stop watching him.

Not saying he likes monster hunter, god no, but games like God of War III, CoD MW2, ect. If he hated all games, do you really think he would become a games revewier?

Huh. How far did Yahtzee actually play the game for? 'Cause I know that mission he described near the end of the review, where you're suddenly ambushed by one of the high-end monsters. That was one of the 1-star quests. The lowest-end stuff. A few quests into the 2-star stuff (which comes swift on the heels of that mission) gets you into the actual hunting of the big monsters, which is the point of the game. I dunno, it seems kind of off to me.

Also: If people would actually look up reviews about the game coming from others, they'd find that the reviews are completely positive. Its stupid to base your opinion on only Yahtzee's reviews. We know he only talks about the game's flaws because that's what people find funny.

And even in this review, he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about...

milskidasith:

I dunno, maybe I'm just a fanboy and I can't tell it, but I thought I was being far more reasonable than the average poster, despite defending the game.

Fanboys are not reasonable in the slightest. That's the biggest difference. Fanboys just don't accept any form of criticism because heaven forbid they change their opinion EVER.
You're being reasonable, ergo, not a fanboy.

My problem with the responses to Zero Punctuation (why I don't bother responding normally) is because Yahtzee is first and foremost an entertainer; you can never assume you're getting the whole picture. One week is what he has to work with after all. You can't really take everything he says seriously, while at the same time, he does have some objective points in his reviews that make it worth watching.

And yet we get angry people who assume that Yahtzee shit all over their favored game/series for [insert random reason here]. Then there are other people who mock these displeased masses for taking Yahtzee seriously at all.
Both of which is disappointing because amidst all of his mockery there is still objective content and some sound reasoning. Separate facts from opinions.

For example, on this week's episode...
I can tell that Yahtzee did not get to the actual hunting part of Monster Hunter (which has the obvious criticism of not putting the hunts front and center, anti-grinding blah blah blah). He focused exclusively on the parts he didn't like because they were the most evident.
Whoa! Stop the presses! I mean, what critic has ever done THAT before?!

Still, I agree with his objective statements. The game does play like one of those god-awful MMOs, and having to construct your weapons and armor can be incredibly boring. Capcom should just try easing the player into the game rather than indoctrinating him into grinding his way in. Adding the farm into Unite worked wonders for cutting down on the in-mission grind while still preserving the need to make good choices with the resources you have.

But here's a shock: That isn't the main part of the game! Actually hunting the big monsters with a limited arsenal is.

There is but a taste of that in the video, and I seriously doubt Yahtzee has the time to actually get around to it. A shame, but that's how it goes.
Fact is, nobody should be losing sleep over whether an internet critic likes or dislikes a game, but by the same logic nobody should be mocking anyone over it either.

The think most amusing about the "Classic Controller Pro" is that it's a lot like the PlayStation controller... which Sony BTW is developing a motion controller like the Wii's.

So basically, Sony and Nintendo are ripping eachother off.

I expected as much from Yahtzee, but I am really surprised about the lack of complaining about no lock-on, controls and difficulty like the rest of the idiot critics. No complaining about flexing after healing? He must have never even made it to a boss. This is a game that takes 100 hours to get a feel for, and once you do it's one of the best games you ever played. In that sense it's definitely not a game for everyone, especially people like Yahtzee. Excuse me while I sink away into the elitist subculture dedicated to this series...

Great review although I think you had the opposite effect on me... I really want to get this game now

Fuck me, how long can you rant about the repetition?.. Its like there is nothing else in the game! And there should be some menus.

Atmos Duality:
[quote="milskidasith" post="6.197407.6395409"]
But here's a shock: That isn't the main part of the game! Actually hunting the big monsters with a limited arsenal is.

There is but a taste of that in the video, and I seriously doubt Yahtzee has the time to actually get around to it. A shame, but that's how it goes.

Exactly what I was thinking. The closest he gets to describing an actual hunting mission was recounting that 1-star mission where the Lagiacrus ambushes you. It's a pity really, as he would've gotten into his first big hunting mission in just a few misisons if he'd kept going.

Dreyfuss:

Mazty:
A sh*t game on the wii - oh no, what a surprise....When the adverts don't show the actual game, you know there's something it's trying to hide.

And yet everybody seemed to love Bioshock, Halo 3 and the like. I don't recall those games showing any gameplay in their adverts.

Nope not everyone liked those adverts either...

Well I can see how the Red Dead Redemption review is going to turn out since that games is also partially a hunting sim...0o

Offline and Low-Rank Online modes have tolerable levels of grind. But High-Rank Online is a grind fest. It is a grind fest because you will inevitably encounter equipment that requires items that have a low drop rate - Around a 10% chance or less. And this is equipment you can't skip out on either. Expect to fight the same boss monster 20+ times just for one item.

There is no equipment you can't skip out on. In fact, the best armor set for many people, online and off, is straight up Agnaktor armor (not Agnaktor+) due to the fact it's perfect for lancers. You can also get fast charge and crit draw using only basic low rank armor, so you don't need to grind for it.

An example of the grind fest that is High-Rank Online - I fought a boss monster 12 times just for one item in High-Rank Online. The worst part is, this was for an item that is supposed to be common - Lagiarcus Horn+. Lagiarcus Horn+ is supposed to have a 40% chance to drop. It took me 7 regular Horns, 2 Lagiarcus Plates, and 2 Lagia Sapphires before I got one Horn+. And the items I just mentioned have a drop rate that is 20% or less. And I still needed 3 more Horn+ to make the item I needed. I didn't feel like playing anymore after that.[/quote]

This is just bad math right here. 40% drop would be common, yes... except you have to break the horns to get it. Yeah, the plates and sapphires are a lot rarer, but you get a chance on those from every after quest reward, which you get 5~10 of, depending on if you cap, and more from breaking certain parts. Granted, you were unlucky, but complaining about bad luck enforcing grind is dumb.

Honestly, I admit there is grind, but you picked a poor example to show it; perhaps show trying to farm up an Altareon weapon.

As a side note: I've gotten through the entire game, up to high rank offline quests (where I upgraded) using only Quropecco armor gemmed up for evasion +2, the fire SnS, and the electric switch axe; you don't need to grind out much at all, because the weapons I got just from drops from doing the missions, and the pecco armor I got in about 20 minutes.

Atmos Duality:
[quote="milskidasith" post="6.197407.6395409"]

I dunno, maybe I'm just a fanboy and I can't tell it, but I thought I was being far more reasonable than the average poster, despite defending the game.

Fanboys are not reasonable in the slightest. That's the biggest difference. Fanboys just don't accept any form of criticism because heaven forbid they change their opinion EVER.
You're being reasonable, ergo, not a fanboy.

This is the problem: You said the three types of posters were people who liked Yahtzee and took him as entertainment, rabid Yahtzee fanboys, and idiotic Tri fanboys. I don't feel comfortable in any of those categories, especially since the heavy implication was that anybody who even posted anything in defense of the game was automatically number three.

I don't take Yahtzee as entertainment. Well, I do, in the same way I take Ebert's reviews as entertainment; they are entertaining, yes, but they've still got to actually present a fair view of the reviewed material. Even if the smart money is on not listening because Yahtzee didn't present anything about the actual meat of the gameplay, there are clearly far too many people who take Yahtzee's review as gospel for the excuse "he's just an entertainer, don't listen to him for reviews and don't complain about how he portrays games, even if it's inaccurate" to work.

Apparently, Yahtzee didn't make it past the tutorial missions. Shame.

And let's not forget: he writes these things to be funny, so I wasn't really expecting it to be positive, even if it is great (to me).

Ah, Yahtzee...

Lost Planet 2 is calling for you to tear it apart.

Not that you care or anything.

Enlong:
Huh. How far did Yahtzee actually play the game for? 'Cause I know that mission he described near the end of the review, where you're suddenly ambushed by one of the high-end monsters. That was one of the 1-star quests. The lowest-end stuff. A few quests into the 2-star stuff (which comes swift on the heels of that mission) gets you into the actual hunting of the big monsters, which is the point of the game. I dunno, it seems kind of off to me.

He only played the tutorial, pretty much.

SomethingAmazing:
Ah, Yahtzee...

Lost Planet 2 is calling for you to tear it apart.

Not that you care or anything.

Lost Planet 2 is MH with guns.

Yahtzee does not bash anything he likes.
Yahtzee did not bash the Monster Hunting after the tutorial stages.
Therefore, Yahtzee likes the monster hunting part of Monster Hunter Tri.

So...Good review!

He didn't even get past the TUTORIAL QUESTS. Not that I wasn't expecting that from Yahtzee..
Those quests are nothing but gathering, and for a good reason, to teach you the basic mechanics of the game!

The rest of the game is spent hunting gigantic monsters, which can be done cooperatively online with teammates. I bet Yahtzee didn't even get to the first boss (The big "water monster" he encountered doesn't count). This further proves that he has no interest in actually "getting into" a game before reviewing it.

Anyone who takes "advice" from Yahtzee's reviews is an utter tool and/or 15 years old.

No it isn't.

It includes none of the collection bullshit. So he can get down to the nitty gritty of what pisses him off the most.

P.S. Monster Hunter already has guns.

Aiden_the-Joker1:
this game sounds horrible. Brilliant review as always Yahtzee

Nah, it's all about taste.

Yahtzee's not a fan of Japanese games and not one of the constant grind of a mmorpg.
In japan it's what Modern Warfare 2 to people who like that kinda of online frustration.

And as Yahtzee quote his loathing for, it's a game that's got to be played co-op to get the fullest out of, especially when it comes to telling the bigger monsters.

Comparatively theirs less content than it's psp predecessor, besides don't knock a game before you've tried it yourself.
The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.

Metaphor:
Yahtzee does not bash anything he likes.
Yahtzee did not bash the Monster Hunting after the tutorial stages.
Therefore, Yahtzee likes the monster hunting part of Monster Hunter Tri.

So...Good review!

I'm willing to bet he never even played past those levels.

veyn:
He didn't even get past the TUTORIAL QUESTS. Not that I wasn't expecting that from Yahtzee..
Those quests are nothing but gathering, and for a good reason, to teach you the basic mechanics of the game!

The rest of the game is spent hunting gigantic monsters, which can be done cooperatively online with teammates. I bet Yahtzee didn't even get to the first boss (The big "water monster" he encountered doesn't count). This further proves that he has no interest in actually "getting into" a game before reviewing it.

Anyone who takes "advice" from Yahtzee's reviews is an utter tool and/or 15 years old.

I think the point is that the tutorial quests are too boring to get past.

From the sound of what you said yahtzee, you only got up to the seventh quest, and yes it's true, the first one or two HR are a bit boring, but when you hit HR 3 you get to start fighting large monsters and on HR 5 you get to fight that giant fish monster you talked about, as well as giant dragons and a rather literal sea lion, you should know by now that Japanese games need some playing to get good, what you have done is reviewed the game based on it's tutorial, try playing for more than an hour and you will see that there is more than "hit monster x with stick until you have killed y"

Auw, I was hoping for Red Dead Redemption and instead he reviews a game I've never even heard of? Oh well, funny review nonetheless.

Daystar Clarion:
Agreed.
"OMg, yatzee doesn t like it! must be bhad!"

Form your own opinions.

Oh god. I really wish people would stop making this ignorant comment.

Should nobody look at any reviews at all for guidance because they are other peoples opinions? Do you not grasp that reviews can help deciding what may or may not be good about a game before people go and waste their money on it?

You may not agree with Yahtzee and his taste of games, but some people actually do. If you paid attention to his videos you'd find he LIKES a lot of what he critiques. He focuses on the bad points because 'professional' reviewers often do nothing but praise games that are frankly mediocre. And also because focusing on the bad points is obviously more entertaining. That doesn't mean he hates everything, and if you actually listened to his reviews you would be able to see that. This game, it was obvious he hated though (and from the sound of it, for good reason too)

Yahtzee's taste in games happen to coincide pretty damn close to my taste in games, with just a few exceptions worth noting, and no other critic or reviewer on the internet has a closer taste in games to mine than Yahtzee does. As a result I watch his videos not just for the humor but also to pay attention to what he says because a lot of his points are very valid to me and may help deciding if I will enjoy a game or not.

And the sad thing is...my brother bought it for his Wii...

ITS....well thats all I can say. ITS...

Jamaicob5:

Actually i think he likes the games really, but we love him for his anger. If he tried to do a reveiw where he explains how brilliant it is, I think we would lose intrest and stop watching him.

The problem here is that, for anyone familiar with the game, it was obvious that Yahtzee did a poor job of reviewing the game. He has blasted games that he obviously liked, and was funny about it. But this one wasn't funny and wasn't even an accurate description. The phrase "phoned in it" would be understating how bad an effort he went into trying out MH3. I don't expect everyone to like the game, but this just felt disrespectful. I think some of Yahtzee's preconceptions about Japanese games and the Wii were more to do with this review than the actual game.

Yeah, if said person playing has ADHD. I mean, they take no less than 2 hours at most. The rest of the game eats up 100+ hours with fun.

I honestly don't know why my friends are just soooo interested in this game. They're interested in it in the same way WoW-Addicts are addicted to WoW...and stuff.

I think it's because they only own a Wii, but just because you only own a Wii, doesn't mean you have to subject yourself to such shite.

This is why I play platforms anymore. I play WoW, mainly for the social aspect. But I will not grid hours in a god damn RPG for some trinket I will throw away in a few levels.

Play Mario Galaxy 2 for 22 hours sleight to get 189 stars till I pass out? That's different:)

As a side not, does Sony know who their advertisers are? There was this box around his video that you clicked on and it told all about the new "Evergrind 2" expansion. It seems odd they pay money for someone who rags on them all the time, but then that's Sony.

veyn:
Yeah, if said person playing has ADHD. I mean, they take no less than 2 hours at most. The rest of the game eats up 100+ hours with fun.

2 hours of boring is way too long. A slow start is fine if it is minimized. But keep it to half an hour AT MOST. And that is a stretch. Fuck, 2 hours of fetch quests. Good fucking god.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here