Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 26 NEXT

Limos:
God Yahtzee. Usually I like you but I have to say this review reveals to me just how much of a biased prick you can be. Yes we get it, you don't like Japan, and you really don't like the Wii. You can stop beating a dead horse now and get over yourself. Monster Hunter is indeed very difficult, and clearly from your description you never bothered to progress past the the very first set of village quests. That was the tutorial. This is not a game for children Yahtzee, this is not some casual piece of shovelware.

This is Monster Hunter. The kind of game that will kick you in the balls repeatedly with hob-nailed boots just because it wants you to know just how much of a worthless prick you are.

That sea monster you mentioned is called the Lagiacrus. If you had bothered to keep going you would know that literally the very next thing you would be doing is Being sent to kill it. The gathering and hunting quests are maybe 1/3rd of the game altogether. They are filler designed to give you quick easy ways to get the bits you need to make your big shiny weapons and armor. And you need those big shiny weapons and armor because literally everything in the world can and will kill you at the drop of a hat.

You are not playing some pansy FPS where you can shrug off a salvo of bullets with nothing but your gritty facial hair and a one liner. You can't just crouch behind a rock and wait for your health to regenerate. If you stand still, if you screw up, if you come unprepared then the monster is going to take that rock and shove it up your ass. That monster you were so scared of is literally a miniboss in the lowest power bracket the game has to offer. If you go online then everything gets upgraded, and there are a dozen monsters bigger and badder than the Lagiacrus just waiting for you to come fuck with them. And then once you do that you get upgraded to Plus rank where you have to do it again except now they are even stronger than before, they have new attacks, and there are yet MORE giant baddies who make the last ones look like a bunch of prancing sissies having a tea party in the rose garden.

Since you have mentioned before that you hate people and have no friends you clearly didn't even bother to try the online portion. I can see why you would be discouraged by the game then since it is ultimately not a single player experience. This is not a matter of "Oh Yahtzee the single player game may suck but the multiplayer makes up for it!" No, this is a game designed to be played cooperatively. You and three other pricks versus a giant beastie from the dawn of time. The quests online are entirely different. You have to kill giant burrowing rock creatures that fling mud around and charge like a freight train, you have to fight off enormous living mountains while protecting the wooden ship from it's attacks using only ballista and cannons, you can climb on it's back while in mid fight and attack the thing from the inside after smashing your way through the armor on it's back.

As much as you may deride casuals and declare yourself the all seeing master of video games in this case you are blind. You just didn't have the stones to get involved in a game you were never going to admit could ever have anything going for it. You would not allow yourself to find a single good thing about a system that refuses to suck up to you.

So I say to you Yahtzee. You are a coward. Monster Hunter was too hardcore for you to handle.

No Yahtzee, you are the casuals.

This. I'm slowly beginning to see Yahtzee as a comic, not a gamer. Maybe he should try a starting act on an open mike comedy night at his bar?

And the whole "it's from Japan" brand was fun ... until you start throwing it at everything as an actual qualifier as to whether you should get it or not makes you sound like a xenophobic prick.

Seriously ... would you throw the 'It's from Japan therefore not suited for cultural translation" on Legend of Zelda? Could we have a break from the latent racism please? A joke's a joke but when you start arbitrarily making sweeping cultural and racial generalizations (incorrectly) about anything and everything it's time to take a good look in the mirror.

Monster Hunter 3 is a shitty game regardless of which console it's on!

That's the problem with sequels... Never as good as the first.

Who is that guy who is always used in his pictures?

Potato21:

Lawllerskater:
I think people are just /raging because Yahtzee doesn't like their stupid game. It's a stupid game. Get over it, you like a stupid game that is crap.

No, you`ve never played a great game and are basing your opinions off of others. Don`t be so stupid as to comment on something you`ve never tried.

ive tried it, i hated it and truthfully, its a bad game

kilbert66:
did he even PLAY the game??
sounds like he grabbed the controller for an hour, ran aound moga saying "MISSIONS ARE FOR PUSSIES" and never got the experience the best parts of the game.

my thots exactly you get no fun simply runing around that place exsplor learn have fun dont be a mindless fps fantard and leave the japs alone shees they come up with better game ideas

Excited when i saw this Review. i agreed on a good part of what you were saying of how its a constant grinding and gathering game. but cant it just be a simple as that? it's a truly fun game when you get over the learning curve of the control's and weapons.

some things i noticed you didnt talk about.
-Multiplayer (thats when the game fully blooms)
-Cha-Cha

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite i think is a better choice when picking a MH game to play. i'll still rent Tri though.

Solomon Grundy:
Excited when i saw this Review. i agreed on a good part of what you were saying of how its a constant grinding and gathering game. but cant it just be a simple as that?

some things i noticed you didnt talk about.
-Multiplayer (thats when the game fully blooms)
-Cha-Cha

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite i think is a better choice when picking a MH game to play. i'll still rent Tri though.

Biggest problem with MH3 is the reduction of big monsters (compared with the freedoms) .... that and there's no bow. But I think the better controls of the ccpro over psp games make it a (slightly) better game than the freedoms.

I liked the part when the wii killed itself and the Xbox360 and PS3 give each other a high five, which is good for me because PS3 and Xbox360 are fun, but the effect of the wii can easily be achieved by thrusting the controller when you play anything on PS3 or Xbox 360.
It's funny when people say how hardcore monster hunter 3 is. it's just funny. It's like saying that prototype has a deep emotional storyline and isn't supposed to be fun. The wii is a console for little kids, and some people think it's hardcore. It's called the Wii, something you say on a ferris wheel or when you need to use the bathroom, not when you win a barfight or eat cereal made of nails and motor oil.
Also, to that one guy talking about how 'hardocore' MH3 is, and how wimpy FPS games are, let's compare final bosses of MH3 and Doom 3, a 'wussbag' FPS game.
MH3: Aleteron
a 15 foot tall elementally unstable dragon like beast that lives in a volcano and has control over fire, ice, thunder and lightning, and can be killed by conventional means.
Doom 3: Cyberdemon
a 20 foot tall beast from hell with various cybernetic implements, such as a rocket launcher arm which can instantly kill the player, hydraulic legs that can step on and instantly kill the player, and is invincible to even the BFG 9000, and can only be destroyed with the soul cube, a relic from mars that must be charged up with the souls of lesser demons before each use.
I think we know which is the guy you wouldn't ask over for tea.

I am really surprised at the anger towards Yahtzee for this review. I mean, he may have not played the whole game but everything he said in his review does stay true threw the game. All that happens as time goes on as the size/difficulty of the monsters increases. This game is just one grind after the other to get better gear to kill the next monster so you can.... grind for more gear. He also didn't review the multiplayer but did he have to? I mean the multiplayer was just the single player but with up to three more people.

For his reviews in general, I think they have always held a good deal of weight. He takes the worst parts of games (when they are there) and exaggerate/focus on them for comic affect. Just because what he said is childish or funny doesn't mean it's not true.

I r like this.

Sovvolf:
Okay then... well I don't know if I can agree with you or not given that I haven't played the game yet. I've been thinking of getting it but I'd rather wait while it comes down in price before paying for it. I'd give it a rent but this looks like the type of game you can't just rent. Ho well, I laughed at the review and I was amused by it but I think I'll reserve my thoughts on the game until I've played it.

Do take his advice on playing with a classic controller, which increases gameplay value by a 100%

i'll agree that the reduction of monster's is a bit of a let down (Lao Shun Lung anyone?)

weapons they also removed where
-Dual Swords
-Gunlance
-Bow (yes i agree, i was sadden by that)
-Hunting Horn

The reason i say that picking a PSP Version over this is that
-Portability (with a Pause option,take battles whenever & wherever)
-More Weapon's
-More Armor
-More Monster's
-Down-loadable Content
-Xlink
-a FREAKIN PET PIG!!!
- and more Comrade options.

and with the controls. it's really one of those practice=skill sort of things.

I am really surprised at the anger towards Yahtzee for this review. I mean, he may have not played the whole game but everything he said in his review does stay true threw the game.

No it doesn't. The percent of possible fetch quests drops from 30% to 0%, and the percent required drops from 25% to 0% as well.

All that happens as time goes on as the size/difficulty of the monsters increases.

That's... kind of like saying all that happens in any game is it gets harder and more complex. All that happens in portal is that the puzzles require more advanced techniques. All that happens in Half Life 2 is the story gets longer. All that happens in Dwarf Fortress is that your fortress expands exponentially with your framerate decreasing proportionally. None of those are bad games, are they?

Even further, Yahtzee didn't even get to the actual monsters, he just beat up minions. It's like saying portal sucks because you never got the damn portal gun.

This game is just one grind after the other to get better gear to kill the next monster so you can.... grind for more gear.

I really hate using terms like this, but the only word that can describe this is "lolno." You don't *ever* need to grind out better gear. I got through the entire game using weapons I had made solely from completing missions and gear I got from drops while hunting on nonmissions/killing extra 'peccos during missions he showed up in. I beat the game with T2 weapon(s), a T3 SnS, and a T1 armor (online rank; offline, it would be 4, 5 and 2, respectively), none of which needed grind.

He also didn't review the multiplayer but did he have to? I mean the multiplayer was just the single player but with up to three more people.

Again, the answer can only be summarized with a hearty "lolno." The multiplayer had additional monsters, event quests, instant access to boss monsters, and, seeing as the game is designed around fighting with four players, it's a lot more fun that way. It's like picking up FPS games made near entirely for the multiplayer with an excuse plot thrown in, and saying they are shi... wait, he does that. Not that it's a bad thing to criticize the single player, but he didn't even bring up the fact it's designed around multiplayer. Then again, he didn't even bring up the fact you're supposed to hunt monsters, so, y'know, priorities.

For his reviews in general, I think they have always held a good deal of weight. He takes the worst parts of games (when they are there) and exaggerate/focus on them for comic affect. Just because what he said is childish or funny doesn't mean it's not true.

That's the problem, though. He's disingenuous at best and outright lying at worst when he does this, and yet people take him seriously. He complains about controls without mentioning you can change them, complains about features that are in games, and doesn't even get past the tutorial on games yet acts as if he had seen the entire experience, even going so far as to say the game was entirely about killing weak monsters. As a humor source, he's OK, and if that's all people took him as, there'd be no issue, but when people register one post per video accounts just to say "Yeah, that game looks like shit!" he's clearly attracting people who treat his reviews as fact based on the whole experience, regardless of whether or not he pointed out the whole experience.

All I'm trying to say is that A: Yahtzee should have at least mentioned he didn't get far in the game, like he did in FFXIII, and B: Yahtzee should consider pointing out his opinions are exaggerations, he doesn't fully play all the games, and the fact if he didn't mention it, it's probably good in the actual video (even as a disclaimer on the alt text), instead of acting serious about it, misrepresenting games, and saying "Oh, if I didn't criticize it, I liked it" on his much less read column.

Way to review, thorough /sarcasm.
Did he even play for more than a few hours?

The thing about Monster Hunter and why it sends you on quests to pick flowers and kill small animals is to get you used to the environment and how your weapons actually work. All the farfing around at the start is actually necessary for new players, if you've ever been handed your friends game on training and tried to kill a Rathalos with no prior experience with the game, your going to get owned hard.

Once you get past the tediousness of the first part, you are launched into a ton of different boss battles. It's like Shadow of the Colossus, only BETTER! Yeah you heard me, the battles are more intense, and you have to realize that your not going to win every time, it actually requires skill and preparation.

I like using a Great Sword, and it's epic, you have a gigantic death sword outside of a RPG, you hold it up and it charges and you have a freaking leopard dragon flailing around infront of you, you can either let the charge go early or try and max it out, knowing you may get hit any second. So then you either get owned and sent flying, or you bring a huge metal phallus down, smashing it into the head of your opponent.

It seems like Yahtzee didn't play enough of this game to actually get to and appreciate the fun part. You do eventually get to go back and try slaying the gigantic water monster, and then you realize why being hell scared and running away was a good choice.

Solomon Grundy:
i'll agree that the reduction of monster's is a bit of a let down (Lao Shun Lung anyone?)

weapons they also removed where
-Dual Swords
-Gunlance
-Bow (yes i agree, i was sadden by that)
-Hunting Horn

The reason i say that picking a PSP Version over this is that
-Portability (with a Pause option,take battles whenever & wherever)
-More Weapon's
-More Armor
-More Monster's
-Down-loadable Content
-Xlink
-a FREAKIN PET PIG!!!
- and more Comrade options.

and with the controls. it's really one of those practice=skill sort of things.

Gunlance was okay .... Dual swords were fun, Hunting horn? Bleh.

You have a pet pig. He's on the farm now instead of in the home. And protability? Well .. *kinda* but unless you have friends who are going to play wifi wioth you're generally only going to play a game where you have a stable internet connection (through x-link kai) ... which kinda takes the aspect of portability and throws it out the window cos you're going to be playing it at home.

Given some missions can take 30-40 minutes, and barring the idea of wanting to play longer than just one hunt, it's not really feasible to play anywhere else barring your own home.

Never been a fan of the monster hunter series for the reasons here. And I love Japanese games and Capcom, so I was very shocked at how dull I found this game... I have not played Tri but have the first and the PSP version of 2, neither of which hooked me after I played them for quite a while.

I think this review hits the nail on the head. Needs less gathering quests and more slaying quests. I'm always a fan of story too and all the quests were literally: "this monster is doin bad stuff. Kill it for me". May be I didn't play enough but if a game doesn't hook me within a month it's gotta be failing in some respect.

And I can see how this sucks on the Wii. 1. See monster. 2. bash one button to attack 3. if its a boss dodge a bit 4. Monster dead.

Megatheist:

LeonLethality:

Spacewolf:
not sure if they have expanded the fetch quest ones but those fetch quests he was talking about just sound like 1 star quests from the first one, but he is right as it souldnt be on the wii put it on a real current gen consol so we can get out of the need for loading screens

It was put on the Wii for a few reasons, the biggest being production costs. Money is a big thing when it comes to making games and since this time they were trying to get it to appeal internationally it would be a huge loss if it failed. And the Wii is a real current generation console, like it or not.

The Load Screens are Capcom's Fault not Nintendo's. They Left those in the game on purpose, it wasn't a hardware thing.

I know that, I never said it was a hardware thing. The load screens are in every game for a reason.

youre just mad cause people dont like your stupid hunting game and youre faced with the realization that your game sucks

sounds like he only played like an hour of the single player, for some reason they decided to ease players into it, which might not be a bad idea but killing giant monsters is where its at and it takes much to long to get into that in the single player, really multi-player is where its at and so far I have yet to find any ass hats online.... a fact which confused and frightens me, I guess they are all busy playing on the 360

I sure wish that he actually talked about the best part of game. You know, fighting monsters.

lol, well all in all it comes down to personal taste i guess.

good counter-arguments man.

Worgen:
sounds like he only played like an hour of the single player, for some reason they decided to ease players into it, which might not be a bad idea but killing giant monsters is where its at and it takes much to long to get into that in the single player, really multi-player is where its at and so far I have yet to find any ass hats online.... a fact which confused and frightens me, I guess they are all busy playing on the 360

I only found one. He went idle during the mission leaving my friends and I doing the work. Go back to the tavern and he up and about wanting to do another quest. Fuck that. We should have abandoned if I didn't need the money.

Wow this review really went south with people oh my oh my. Pretty much anytime the wii or japanese game coems into his mouth he's automatically lost credibility. He's a smart man and I really think he wants to be a reviewer and not just a walking snark gag, but the one thing about reviewers is that they don't play games they aren't going to like the second they open it. He's not unbaised enough to be a real reviewer than can review anything. Sure no one is truly unbaised should it be so bad where it becomes obvious something wasn't even given a chance to show it's stuff? Or that people who like the gaming franchise will like it?

Once again. Why did he review this game? What next, going to review dynasty warriors?

RaikuFA:
youre just mad cause people dont like your stupid hunting game

Or maybe we are legitimately concerned about how Yahtzee, critic, reviewer, comedian, humorist, messiah, demon, voice of reason, voice of insanity, however you view him, can convince dozens of commenters and untold numbers of viewers a game is terrible with a review despite obviously not playing the game? I wouldn't care if he praised how lovely it was all you did was do fetch quests, I'd still be complaining since that's not what the game is about, and I've mentioned problems with his complaints on other videos (such as Halo Wars) despite not liking the game. Furthermore, I don't like how Yahtzee is, while not dishonest, not exactly forthcoming with the information that hyperbolic and if he doesn't criticize a certain aspect, he probably likes it (such information can only be inferred or obtained from reading Extra Punctuation), and outright lying when he makes videos that show he clearly hasn't played the game and passes them off as full reviews.

Then again, I suspect you are just trolling, in which case, congratulations, you win one internet and the couple of minutes I was typing this post while waiting for my dwarfs to get some production going in DF.

Angelix:
I sure wish that he actually talked about the best part of game. You know, fighting monsters.

General rule of thumb with Yahtzee -- he only talks about the bad things. Because, according to the response to his Psychonauts review, people don't like it when he says good things about a game.
------
Judging from the responses in this thread, I've come to a grand conclusion; if you like playing roguelikes (for instance, Dwarf Fortress, ADOM, Stone Soup, and, of course, Nethack), then you're probably like this.

Aura Guardian:

Worgen:

I only found one. He went idle during the mission leaving my friends and I doing the work. Go back to the tavern and he up and about wanting to do another quest. Fuck that. We should have abandoned if I didn't need the money.

check that, ok I have encountered one as well but one in like 40+ hours of playing is a pretty good ratio... I really need a job

Limos:
That sea monster you mentioned is called the Lagiacrus. If you had bothered to keep going you would know that literally the very next thing you would be doing is Being sent to kill it.

What? No? The quest you first see the Lagiacrus in is the fifth 1 star quest. I am on the the sixth 3 star quest, and I still haven't seen it since then, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The first quest that you ever actually get to hunt a giant monster is the fifth 2 star quest, and it is most certainly not the Lagiacrus.

Anywho, my comments on the review. Speaking as somebody who owns and fully enjoys Monster Hunter 3, having no regrets in buying it... Yahtzee is 100% correct. By all logic, the game should be terrible, and I couldn't even begin to fathom why it is that I enjoy it as much as I do, or why other people do as well, or why it's one of Japan's most popular franchises. That said, I do have a few points I'd like to bring up.

It sounds like Yahtzee never reached the point in the game where you're actually tasked with hunting the giant monsters. While I highly doubt they would change his opinion on the game in the slightest, I'm still curious as to what comments he might have had about them. Probably something along the lines of 'not worth the crap you have to go through to get to them I imagine'. Or perhaps 'really really frustrating when some tiny irrelevant trash monster gets in your way and completely fucks you over'.

Also, and I realize this is actually probably a negative in Yahtzee's point of view, but the game really is meant to be played online. The online campaign is considerably longer (about 40-50% of the offline campaign = roughly 16.5% of the online campaign), and it's feasibly possible, albeit more difficult, to solo your way through it if you insist on not playing with other people. Playing online also allows you to jump straight into a giant monster hunting quest if you so desire, though the gathering ones still have to be done eventually. The point is further reinforced by Monster Hunter being one of the only Wii games that supports voice communication, as well as the only one that I know of that doesn't use friend codes.

Worgen:

Aura Guardian:

Worgen:

check that, ok I have encountered one as well but one in like 40+ hours of playing is a pretty good ratio... I really need a job

There's always at least one jerk online.

Mr Metzger:
Who is that guy who is always used in his pictures?

If i remember he wanted something to express expressionless, did a google search and found that guy.

scaily:

kilbert66:
did he even PLAY the game??
sounds like he grabbed the controller for an hour, ran aound moga saying "MISSIONS ARE FOR PUSSIES" and never got the experience the best parts of the game.

my thots exactly you get no fun simply runing around that place exsplor learn have fun dont be a mindless fps fantard and leave the japs alone shees they come up with better game ideas

*went to last page*
*read this laughable attempt at English*
*decided that the internet is a scary place*

*goes to sleep*

PaulH:

You have a pet pig. He's on the farm now instead of in the home. And protability? Well .. *kinda* but unless you have friends who are going to play wifi wioth you're generally only going to play a game where you have a stable internet connection (through x-link kai) ... which kinda takes the aspect of portability and throws it out the window cos you're going to be playing it at home.

Given some missions can take 30-40 minutes, and barring the idea of wanting to play longer than just one hunt, it's not really feasible to play anywhere else barring your own home.

Actually it's way better if you have friends who will play on wifi with you, we used to play on the train home and after tennis on weekends. Playing online would annoy me. Whenever I wasn't with them I'd take on the single player missions because it's exciting. You don't need to play multiplayer to enjoy this game.

milskidasith:

RaikuFA:
youre just mad cause people dont like your stupid hunting game

Or maybe we are legitimately concerned about how Yahtzee, critic, reviewer, comedian, humorist, messiah, demon, voice of reason, voice of insanity, however you view him, can convince dozens of commenters and untold numbers of viewers a game is terrible with a review despite obviously not playing the game? I wouldn't care if he praised how lovely it was all you did was do fetch quests, I'd still be complaining since that's not what the game is about, and I've mentioned problems with his complaints on other videos (such as Halo Wars) despite not liking the game. Furthermore, I don't like how Yahtzee is, while not dishonest, not exactly forthcoming with the information that hyperbolic and if he doesn't criticize a certain aspect, he probably likes it (such information can only be inferred or obtained from reading Extra Punctuation), and outright lying when he makes videos that show he clearly hasn't played the game and passes them off as full reviews.

Then again, I suspect you are just trolling, in which case, congratulations, you win one internet and the couple of minutes I was typing this post while waiting for my dwarfs to get some production going in DF.

i had the same experience when playing. that and i had the people that played with me telling i didnt deserve to play games because i couldnt kill some dragon. yes you heard me. im not allowed to play games because i cant kill a dragon. the tutorials didnt help me either

RaikuFA:
youre just mad cause people dont like your stupid hunting game and youre faced with the realization that your game sucks

And you seem to think that your opinion that a particular game sucks is a fact. A shame, really.

As for the video, it was funny, and it was a really nice review of the earliest missions of the game. However, it seems that he decided that he didn't like the rest of the game purely because of the tutorial.

Raioken18:

PaulH:

Actually it's way better if you have friends who will play on wifi with you, we used to play on the train home and after tennis on weekends. Playing online would annoy me. Whenever I wasn't with them I'd take on the single player missions because it's exciting. You don't need to play multiplayer to enjoy this game.

Possibly. But a 30 minute train ride is a LONG train ride. Not only that but I don't really have time to travel to a friend's house to play games x.x Work + Uni + study = full schedule.

Sometimes you want to play with others from the comfort of your bed.

I agree playing wifi with people is fun if you can get everybody together at a single place when you all have work/study schedules that occupy 70% of your waking hours. When me and my friends get together, we drink, we party, we go to a fancy restaurant and discuss life, love and politics.

So Online is really the only option you have when you get older.

I miss being a kid ;.;

I can fully agree with mlskidasith's part A and partially with his point B and I can't really argue the rest. I played up to killing the big white sea monster (Lagiacrus? ) and dabbled in the multiplayer, finding the whole experience a boring, haze.

What I can't agree is with is blaming his review, him or style. What ever you want to call it for making people instantly right off a game. Anyone who looks at one review and accepts it as truth are not firing on all calenders.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here