Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

[quote="t_rexaur" post="6.197407.6392598"]No mention of the online and/or multiplayer aspect? Still good episode as always.[/QUOTE]

Yahtzee never comments on multiplayer, if it's only good on multiplayer then what is the point, or something like that.

I hate the combat. Love the idea.

wtf...I thought he was gonna do Red Dead Redemption..I wanted to see yahtzee's opinon...ffs That game is ideal

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one not insane. He highlights every single aspect of the game that I hate, including the "What the fuck? Monster Hunter on the Wii?"

Onyx Oblivion:

You still play it?

ITT: OMFG I TOTALLY AGREE AND CAN'T FORM MY OWN OPINION TO SAVE MY LIFE ETC ETC.

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

I completely agree. And now that he has said he doesn't like it most of the escapist now hates it... *sigh*

not sure if they have expanded the fetch quest ones but those fetch quests he was talking about just sound like 1 star quests from the first one, but he is right as it souldnt be on the wii put it on a real current gen consol so we can get out of the need for loading screens

I don't know, but I think I might finally be in the mood for a grinder. I keep collecting those herbs in Red Dead Redemption, knowing full well they don't do anything. Then again, the idea of frequent load times is off-putting.

Suddenly, "Monster Hunter Tri" out of f***ing nowhere!!!

I didn't saw this one coming, I was expecting "Alan Wake" or "Red Dead Redemption", but this one felt like a breath of fresh air. I wasn't expecting him to actually review a game like this one, and despite I don't agree with most of what he said, it was a very good review overall.

MHT is what most JRPGs try to devolve to....grind....horrible horrible grind..... unless you are FF13 then you are an action game...............

Roseveare:
ITT: OMFG I TOTALLY AGREE AND CAN'T FORM MY OWN OPINION TO SAVE MY LIFE ETC ETC.

Or ITT: People posting because they agree? Fancy that idea.

Wow....Many flamez. I loved the original on the PS2, but since that it's just become a stream of cockendery and not enough focus on the fighting.

I'm not going to argue against Yahtzee(for he is a critic after all) but I disagree with him on this one. I fervently enjoyed this game, just as much as I did Red Dead Redemption in fact. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I wondser if whe saw the ads where they compared the game to crab fishing, saying it was more thrilling. That's not really a point in it's favor, considering the mortality rate of crab fishers.

So this game might actually bore you to death!

Meh, even the big game hunting wasn't that cool.

Believe it or not, the way you described the game makes me want to get this game, since I'm actually one of those kidns of people who enjoy tedious scavenger hunts.

LeonLethality:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

I completely agree. And now that he has said he doesn't like it most of the escapist now hates it... *sigh*

Isn't always like that with his reviews?

Yahtzee has said that a game must stand up on single player merits: that is usually for stuff like Borderlands and CoD, where the online section is PvP.

MH:T is online co-op in more of a challenge based system and I think he would appreciate the tactical nature (knowing what assets the monster has and how to counter them) but I'm sure with enough people mentioning thi online stuff his next Extra punctuation will deal with this.

having said that I will still be getting thi sgame (rental) and giving it a good chance and while Isometimes Agree with Yahtzee he doesnt form my opinions for me!

Daystar Clarion:

Me thinks he played it just long enough to not kill himself. Any game that gets "good" after a shitload of time spent collecting MMORPG paraphenalia is not a game worth considering.

Red Dead and Alan Wake were released not even a week ago in Australia, so I wouldn't expect those reviews until mid June. I'm especially looking forward to his Alan Wake review since it's quite similar to the classic Silent Hill games.

OT, good review. Didn't give a lot of information about the actual plot or gameplay experience, but I rarely look to Yahtzee for purchasing advise as much as I do for just plain entertainment.

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:

Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.

Exactly what I just registered to say as well :)

Shame really as it's a great game. I'd argue it takes all the shit from MMO's like wow and tosses them out the window.

Level grinding.. gone
Auto lock/123 key spam combat... no thanks
Armour stats more important than actual skill at playing a game... laughable.

Spending the majority of the time gathering bugs/honey or whatever and then moaning about it strikes me the same as taking two pieces of bread, smearing poop all over them, eating the poop sarnie, then complaining that the filling was shit.

If you eat the shit sarnie and pass up the steak I'm not sure how valid the shit filling complaint is really.

Yahtzee's opinion on japanese games: ignored.

Spacewolf:
not sure if they have expanded the fetch quest ones but those fetch quests he was talking about just sound like 1 star quests from the first one, but he is right as it souldnt be on the wii put it on a real current gen consol so we can get out of the need for loading screens

It was put on the Wii for a few reasons, the biggest being production costs. Money is a big thing when it comes to making games and since this time they were trying to get it to appeal internationally it would be a huge loss if it failed. And the Wii is a real current generation console, like it or not.

As all ways this review was a lot of fun. HOWEVER being a massive Monster Hunter fan and someone who has played a lot of Tri (...and all of the PS2/PSP games for that matter) I can tell that he didn't spend a whole lot of time with it. Yes, it starts of slow but when it picks up and you start hunting bigger monsters it's a TON of fun. Granted, Yahtzee said before that the "It gets better later on"-argument is made of fail, and I agree... but this time it's really true.

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:

You still play it?

Not really. The combat doesn't flow. It's horridly archaic with broad, slow swings and the like. But as it is...I'm stopped playing it. I'd love the game more if it didn't control like shit. I like the idea of just going around hunting monsters, but as it stands, I've not better things to play on the Wii. Like a 2nd run through Metroid Prime Trilogy!

poiumty:

Daystar Clarion:

Me thinks he played it just long enough to not kill himself. Any game that gets "good" after a shitload of time spent collecting MMORPG paraphenalia is not a game worth considering.

That's the thing, you don't even have to play that long. I think he concentrated too much on gather quests rather than the actual monster battles, which are amazing. I don't expect everyone to like it, but he didn't really give it a fair chance. MH is the most fun I've had on my Wii in 2 years.

Daystar Clarion:

t_rexaur:
No mention of the online and/or multiplayer aspect? Still good episode as always.

On a side note to people actually take what Yatzee says at face value? I mean you'd have to be pretty silly to do that since if you did every game apart from Adventure Island Dizzy would be shit and you'd never play anything, ever.

Agreed.
"OMg, yatzee doesn t like it! must be bhad!"

Form your own opinions.

I think Yahtzee himself said that once. But if I do it, am I doing it because he said so?
LOGIC: *smack smack smack* "That's enough stupid out of you."

Aura Guardian:

LeonLethality:

Daystar Clarion:

Yes, sadly. Which is why I was really hoping he wouldn't review this.

Its not about the gathering, its about the exciting battles against giant monsters that kick your ass unless you are either really good or have the proper gear. I love zero punctuation reviews but I think too many people that what he says as the whole truth and nothing but the truth. There is a huge fan base for this game and there must be a reason for it right? Give it more of a chance than he did and you might find an exhilarating game. Or you might not. Just like I'm sure tons of you out there go out and buy any game that he gives the slightest positive review, or should I call it an entertaining criticism.

LeonLethality:

Aura Guardian:

LeonLethality:

Daystar Clarion:

Yes, sadly. Which is why I was really hoping he wouldn't review this.

Isn't it sad how most of his fans are just like cattle?

I agree with Yahtzee about it not needing to be on the Wii. Think about how much loading-time-between-zones would have been cut out of it were on a platform that has more processing power to handle a large, seamless world.

I've tried the demo on a recommendation, and I couldn't kill any of the required monsters needed to complete the mission. I just don't have the "skillz", or patience, to adapt to a terrible control scheme. And that accounts for both the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo and the Classic Controller.

I actually have found a way to get the important parts of information out of his reviews ;)
It works like this: go through the old reviews, if you find a game you particularly liked, then try to remember what Yatzee flamed worst on.
Then wait until you hear him flaming about this again and you have a hit ;)

A sh*t game on the wii - oh no, what a surprise....When the adverts don't show the actual game, you know there's something it's trying to hide.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here