Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 . . . 26 NEXT

crypt-creature:

mike1921:

It's part of the game? You mean developers want loading screens to be there? Also, now I know what the problem with monster hunter tri is, too many loading screens, not that they take too long. You're seriously telling me that doesn't break flow?

And nope, it doesn't break flow. Not for this game, as it works. I actually like them.
Having to run for your life when a giant Wyvern sneak attacks you and can make you into a smear with a few attacks... it gets the pulse going a bit. A load screen, even one that wouldn't be needed, is a nice way to calm the nerves.
Even when hunting the beast on purpose, it's a chance to go over attack options and steel yourself.

A game stopping itself because it wants the player to calm their nerves? That may be the only idea less appealing than unskippable cutscenes.

mike1921:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure the wii only sold because of the motion controls, and the whole console is centered around that. It's pretty ridiculous if you regret not buying a console, that was centered entirely around motion controls, because of a game that doesn't even use them well.

Meh, perhaps I'm one of the odd folk who got it for game-cube compatibility and find that the motion part of the system is a nice bonus. I almost refuse to play an action game that is strictly Wii-mote (why Ghostbusters, why must you do such a thing?). I like having the option for both. If it were just a system that did Wii-mote games... I wouldn't have bought it.
Yeah, the console was originally banking on the motion schtick... but there is just too much that still needs to be worked out with games that aren't on the 'simplistic' side of gaming. I wouldn't fault them for including the controller in more major action titles, as it might make it more likely for games to be shared with other consoles, but also because I like having both options.

I already have a gamecube, and while it's a plus if I can get rid of my gamecube because my wii plays all the games it has (seriously sony and microsoft, I thought full backwards compatibility was supposed to be expected by now). I doubt many people bought a next gen console solely to use it as a last gen one.

milskidasith:

The long and short of it is that Japanese companies don't make games for the Xbox, period

Tales of Vesperia

Putting my two cents in here, Yahtzee I respectfully disagree with your asessment of the game, the shortsightness of playing only gathering missions dulls the overall view of the game itself, you're supposed to learn to gather as second nature, something to prepare you for killing that giant winged monster lurking behind you ready to blast fireballs up your arse. You've completly missed the strategy involved in each fight, and tactics you use to get through the enviroments and giant flesh-rending and possibly electric wyverns. You however are very correct on the grind aspect, it is a grind. However with each large wyvern being rather different and it taking you a few tries to figure out the best strategy to kill it without getting mowed on will take you long enough that you've moved onto the next killer dragon before you're bored of the last one, unless you decide to make an entire set of armour out of a beast that apparently doesn't have any scales... and you need 30. As well, I agree with your statement, this game does not belong on the wii, it belongs on a console with a real controller. And better graphics, the scnenery was impressive in ps2 days, why keep it the same by handing it to the system with less capability?
I do hope you get a chance to play the game farther than teaching you the basics, and if you cant get past that... well you need to play a mindless shooter where your best weapon is handed to you already so that you dont have to improve it yourself.

Tales of Vesperia

OK, very, very rarely do they make games for the Xbox. There is no market for it in Japan. I really can't see why they would make it for the Xbox, unless they were owned by microsoft.

This review brilliant^_^
wiii controller sucks...end of story

Cylos Treh:
Putting my two cents in here, Yahtzee I respectfully disagree with your asessment of the game, the shortsightness of playing only gathering missions dulls the overall view of the game itself, you're supposed to learn to gather as second nature, something to prepare you for killing that giant winged monster lurking behind you ready to blast fireballs up your arse. You've completly missed the strategy involved in each fight, and tactics you use to get through the enviroments and giant flesh-rending and possibly electric wyverns. You however are very correct on the grind aspect, it is a grind. However with each large wyvern being rather different and it taking you a few tries to figure out the best strategy to kill it without getting mowed on will take you long enough that you've moved onto the next killer dragon before you're bored of the last one, unless you decide to make an entire set of armour out of a beast that apparently doesn't have any scales... and you need 30. As well, I agree with your statement, this game does not belong on the wii, it belongs on a console with a real controller. And better graphics, the scnenery was impressive in ps2 days, why keep it the same by handing it to the system with less capability?
I do hope you get a chance to play the game farther than teaching you the basics, and if you cant get past that... well you need to play a mindless shooter where your best weapon is handed to you already so that you dont have to improve it yourself.

For some reason, the bold bit makes me think you wrote in about SSB Brawl.

Sorry. I just thought of that.

So, it's good then?

PreviouslyPwned:
So, it's good then?

Let's put it this way. If you like hardcore games like Dwarf Fortress, Etrian Odyssey, Realms of Arkania, and Jagged Alliance, then you'll probably find it good.

Everyone else, tread carefully.

mike1921:

A game stopping itself because it wants the player to calm their nerves? That may be the only idea less appealing than unskippable cutscenes.

If it happens knowingly, or too obviously, of course people would throw a fit.
Games shove in a ton of subtle things. If a developing team thought it'd be a good idea, I don't doubt that they would do it. Cutscenes you can't skip, are a bit different (aside from being much longer, people seem to get more frustrated by them than load times. You can't subtly put in a cut scene unless you're trying to mask a load time with it).

The difference with MH, I doubt they are there for that reason and having them doesn't bother me.

mike1921:
I doubt many people bought a next gen console solely to use it as a last gen one.

I've done it with almost every system I've owned (finding a reasonably priced 60 GB PS3 is a pain) and will not own a newer system if it can't do that.
Then again, it's not about owning it to solely use it in that way, as you put it.
I just find that a good number of the current generation of games, are not that good. Such was my initial worry, which Is why I bought systems that offered backwards compatibility (and why it does matter greatly to me).
You might be surprised at the number of people that keep such a thing rather high on their list of needs when considering a system.

Hi!

I play this game a bit and really enjoy it. Yahtzee didn't make it past the non-skipable tutorial. I expected more out of you there, Yahtzee, I really did. Here's a bit about the criticisms that he didn't have the endurance to get to:

Gatherer/Tedious
-The single player is your "home base" for multiplayer content. Once you're done with a fair chunk of the offline quests your farm and the shops in the city eliminate most of the gathering.
-If you're so worried about making the wrong thing, get some more. There's no commodity in the game that's difficult to get if you happen to run out.

Monster-vs-Monster in the intro
-OK. So we've hit a new low. We're now expecting the intro cinematics to mean anything at all. They showed you monsters, and they showed you hunters. Other great cinematic openings have started out with fields of grain, ocean tidal scenes, and navi flying blissfully around a little village to wake up link. The reality is that he's picking on the intro because it occupied a good chunk of his invested playtime.
-The monsters DO attack each other which is easily demonstrated at boss #2 of 18. Yahtzee didn't make it to boss #1 or he wouldn't have made the "innocent young dinosaurs" comment.

"Innocent young dinosaurs"
-Those are known as minions. In other games they're called trash mobs or goombas. In the first boss fight many players choose to dodge 6-10 of them instead of taking their attention off the boss which can rip them apart or toss them around like a chew-toy.

Moga Woods(the "overworld?") vs Questing
-This is a clear disconnect in Yahtzee's view of the game. Moga Woods is not "the overworld." It's your backyard. Need something quick that you didn't pick up on the quests? Grab it in the woods and come back. As the quests progress, bosses begin to appear in the woods. Note - the woods is the only place where certain realistic effects play a large role (hunger and running out of sharpening supplies) because these items are provided for you on the quests (so that you can chain them without stopping to search your backyard).

Lagracious Encounter
-This encounter was simply to show you that there are times when you should run. If you'd like to fight this boss, it's in the 3* or 4* content. Many games have a scene like this in their tutorials. Even wearing equipment off the 4th boss, this boss is one of the nastier encounters. When you first see a big villain in any game, do you expect to fight him for the plot-line then and there? Unless you're playing new game+ in Chronocross, the answer is a big freaking "no."

In conclusion, I really like Yahtzee's reviews in general but this one was slop. When you get a game that boasts 60-140 game hours, you have to give it more than 3. In the past they've been criticized for steep learning curves. People skip tutorials so they simply didn't call it one. There are plenty of ways to criticize this game, but this was just lazy.

He didn't even get to Cha-Cha. It would've made it into the review and it's very early on. One of the oddest side-kicks ever.

/As far as the controller is concerned, you can use the classic one for this. They just used this game to debut the playstation-like controller while not using its new buttons.

Dracolich5:

In conclusion, I really like Yahtzee's reviews in general but this one was slop. When you get a game that boasts 60-140 game hours, you have to give it more than 3. In the past they've been criticized for steep learning curves. People skip tutorials so they simply didn't call it one. There are plenty of ways to criticize this game, but this was just lazy.

/As far as the controller is concerned, you can use the classic one for this. They just used this game to debut the playstation-like controller while not using its new buttons.

I could've told you Oblivion was a fun game, or at least able to keep my interest 3 hours in and I've played that for way more than 140 hours. If I was still playing a tutorial mission 3 hours in though, I would've took the game box outside and lit it on fire.

If the game has a steep learning curve put in a skippable tutorial. You make it sound like "people skip tutorials" is actually a reason why tutorials shouldn't be named as such and skippable. That is the very reason why they should be there and easy to skip. Because there are a lot of times when people don't want to do them.

crypt-creature:

mike1921:

If it happens knowingly, or too obviously, of course people would throw a fit.
Games shove in a ton of subtle things. If a developing team thought it'd be a good idea, I don't doubt that they would do it. Cutscenes you can't skip, are a bit different (aside from being much longer, people seem to get more frustrated by them than load times. You can't subtly put in a cut scene unless you're trying to mask a load time with it).

The difference with MH, I doubt they are there for that reason and having them doesn't bother me.

There is no such thing as a subtle loading screen.

Well, I personally can not imagine frequent loading screens with mind boggling frustration

mike1921:
I doubt many people bought a next gen console solely to use it as a last gen one.

I've done it with almost every system I've owned (finding a reasonably priced 60 GB PS3 is a pain) and will not own a newer system if it can't do that.
Then again, it's not about owning it to solely use it in that way, as you put it.
I just find that a good number of the current generation of games, are not that good. Such was my initial worry, which Is why I bought systems that offered backwards compatibility (and why it does matter greatly to me).
You might be surprised at the number of people that keep such a thing rather high on their list of needs when considering a system.

[/quote] But see, if there are no next (well, current gen now) games that are worth buying the system for, I don't see why you wouldn't just not bother and use your PS2 instead.

I could've told you Oblivion was a fun game, or at least able to keep my interest 3 hours in and I've played that for way more than 140 hours. If I was still playing a tutorial mission 3 hours in though, I would've took the game box outside and lit it on fire.

The tutorial isn't three hours. Have you even bothered to read any of the posts I've made? People are just throwing around examples; in this case, three hours is about the time it would take to get to the third boss fight in the game.

If the game has a steep learning curve put in a skippable tutorial. You make it sound like "people skip tutorials" is actually a reason why tutorials shouldn't be named as such and skippable. That is the very reason why they should be there and easy to skip. Because there are a lot of times when people don't want to do them.

This would be valid if it weren't for two things:

First off, in the last Monster Hunter game, you were dropped straight into the action, and people complained about how they got slaughtered and didn't know what to do.

Second of all, the exact same thing happened, Yahtzee specifically, when he reviewed Demon's Souls and got slaughtered, so you can't really defend Yahtzee's review as him saying "tutorial's suck" when he also hates games without them/is just terrible at this genre of games.

Well, I personally can not imagine frequent loading screens with mind boggling frustration

They aren't frequent... you change areas a few times to get to the boss, with .5 seconds of loading between each one, and then you fight the boss for ten minutes before he flees, and you get another small loading screen. It's enough time that, if it were an online game, it would be less than the average lagspike, or the amount of time it takes for your browser to send out your posts when you make them.

i played the game its sucked SO MUCH

So, I must say that I love the un-genre-able titles of games that usually seem weird and quirky at first but usually turn out really fun to play.
When the first Monster Hunter game was released (and every copy/paste versions... sorry, "sequel"... of the games), no matter how much I try, try and tri [apologies for the pun] again, I just cannot get into them.

I have to totally agree with Yahtzee on the whole matter of getting your ass whomped by some f'ing massive beast you have no chance of defending yourself against too early in the game. In the first game, the last mission of the very first set of missions you can do is to get a dragon egg from the top of a mountain. Simple, no? No... it's not. The thing is so big that you have to carry it in your arms (thus you can't use your weapon/s) and if you fall further than about 2 inches, you drop the egg and have to go back and fetch another (this also happens if you accidently press the button that makes you do a jumping roll... which also happens to be the "activate" button... meaning you have to stop dead in your tracks before pressing it to help climb down the mountain gently.)
All of this... while avoiding the already dangerous velociraptor beasts (if you somehow manage to make it to the bottom of the mountain without dropping the egg) AND being chased by a frigging humungous dragon which is rather rightfully pissed off at you. Oh, and if you take even the slightest glancing blow from any kind of monster attacking you... you guessed it, you drop the egg!
Being on the "Easiest" quest list I kind of gave up after around my 30th attempt and second controller, the first laying shattered on the floor after continually being throw at it >.>

Now, Harvest Moon... sad as it may be for me to say this being a 25 y/o guy... is a game series I just cannot get enough of. I LOVE it. I tend to be crap at the "get into a relationship and get married" part of the game but DAMN can I work hard to make my farm profitable!

nichiyobi:
i played the game its sucked SO MUCH

Did you really play the game? I respect your opinion, but when you post one line just agreeing with Yahtzee, especially with poor grammar, it's hard to think of you as anything but the type of user who just agrees with Yahtzee blindly.

mike1921:

Cry more. Really, cry more. When you're mature enough to have an opinion, the rest of us will know.

mike1921:

Well, there comes a point where it's nice for them to be skippable, but if your test audiences all need to go back and do them after the first boss wipes the floor with them, then it would appear there's room for the other view as well.

Gee, sure wish everything in life would have easy-mode conformity like Oblivion. That game's a cake walk but you can't admit it because you're power-tripping like a tard that got control of the short bus.

I chuckled. Another entertaining video.

I'm probably still gonna get the game... eventually. Lots of grinding and anything Japanese is something I tend to enjoy.

>.>

I wasnt expecting such a review for such AN AWESOME game series...

I wonder how yatzee would feel about Disgaea games...he would probably just og on a murder spree.

Monster hunter sucks so much that its the very reason why it has one of the highest players numbers community ACROSS platforms on pretty much every console as well as the japanese mmo /Monster Hunter Frontier) making its way into the 360! Oh wait... >.>

2 games on PS2, 3/4 games on PSP, 1 on pc, 1 on Wii, 1 coming to the 360.

Kind of, i think MHG is more of an updated version of the original, there's actually like 8 games now
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (I think they could've done better with seqel names)
Monster Hunter Frontier (a Japan only MMORPG)
Monster hunter Tri.

He didn't even get to Cha-Cha. It would've made it into the review and it's very early on. One of the oddest side-kicks ever. quote]

I,m not sure i agree with the word 'sidekick', cannon fodder more like. i can't think of a single time where he's noticeably acheived anything else, although i haven't got him any new masks yet so i guess i'll see

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.

How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?

Christ Yahtzee, did you even get past 2* village Quests? [/quote]

I don't think he even got past 1*, he seems to think Moga woods is the only area and if he got to 2* quests he would have discovered the desert place(forgot what it was called).

mike1921:

There is no such thing as a subtle loading screen.

Sure there is.
Say, a futuristic game the requires you to go up/down an elevator to get to the next stage. Begin elevator riding animation that takes long enough to act as a load screen, but without 'loading' listed across it and making the ride seem like part of the game. Add in a few vocals (maybe information or something that would fit the theme of the game, [insert creativity here])
A loading screen doesn't have to say 'loading' or be static for it to be a loading screen (and yes, it can be done).

mike1921:
But see, if there are no next (well, current gen now) games that are worth buying the system for, I don't see why you wouldn't just not bother and use your PS2 instead.

Unfortunately, I am hoping that games will eventually be released that are as good as they are advertised to be (and where the demo isn't the only fun thing about it).
That was my initial hope when I bought the system (PS3), and some games did look good. They just weren't that good when I ended up playing them, and my original hesitation became a 'truth' for me.

Mr Companion:
Well I am glad I did not take heed of the positive reviews. This review pretty much explains exactly what the footage looked like to me, running around smacking monsters in order to gather up bits of pointless tat.

Ah yes, completely ignore all positive reviews in favor of the guy whose entire job is to trash games. That makes perfect sense.

Matt1234567890:
[quote from some unknown member] He didn't even get to Cha-Cha. It would've made it into the review and it's very early on. One of the oddest side-kicks ever. [/quote from some unknown member]

I'm not sure I agree with the word 'sidekick'; cannon fodder more like. I can't think of a single time where he's noticeably achieved anything else, although I haven't got him any new masks yet so I guess I'll see

He's insanely useful. Not only as cannon fodder, but because he'll run around grabbing items for you. I didn't have enough _ from one of the larger monsters that I knocked off, then found later that Cha-Cha grabbed it for me on his mindless pack-ratting rampage. He also casts spells on you to increase your strength, defense, and health, which is very useful. So far I have his second mask, which can tell you where in the map the large monsters are.

feather240:

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.

How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?

Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.

In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault. He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation. He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much. He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)

Matt1234567890:
Kind of, i think MHG is more of an updated version of the original, there's actually like 8 games now
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (I think they could've done better with seqel names)
Monster Hunter Frontier (a Japan only MMORPG)
Monster hunter Tri.

You forgot Monster Hunter Portable G.

and freedom unite was the international name of it the japanese name for it was Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G which has a nicer ring to it.

Aylaine:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault.

There is no reasoning in this statement to lead to this conclusion. He is a reviewer, a critic if you will. To be a reviewer, then he has to review it or he has no integrity.

Aylaine:
He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation.

Once again, there's not much merit to your arguments. Judging by your post count, you must have annoyed thousands of people who can think by now. Many people with forums about their work will peruse it as a guilty pleasure much like googling oneself.

Aylaine:
He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews.

Right, he's here to do reviews. In this case it's like the kid who hands in a book report which details the front cover, dedication, and table of contents of a book. "Lacks substance" is an understatement for this review. In the past he's been rather reliable, but he managed to screw this one up after he's been crying for a decent game for the Wii for months. Personally I think he's made up his mind about the Wii and simply won't spend time on any game that can use a wii-mote.

Aylaine:
They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much.

This is what he does. This is not some idle hobby. He gets reimbursed for it. As an employee, this particular review should be grounds for reviewing his contract.

Aylaine:
He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Ok, so you think it will cause problems but have no effect. Make up your mind. It's pretty clear from your posts that you're the kind of person who accepts things and moves on. Ok, that's great for you but it's also what's known as an "enabler" personality. Granted, many people will call you well-adjusted but in reality your entire outlook on life is so laisez-faire that you're not interesting.

We're counting on Yahtzee to read over some of these reviews or at least to notice that the number of comments was staggering for a reason. Perhaps he'll take another look at it and post a second review of the game or perhaps he'll take offense at us criticizing his failure. Either way that's what the comments section is for. It's not just a drop box for "we like you" hand jobs.

Aylaine:

I'm glad I'm not bashing Yahtzee, then. I don't bash people, I bash how people act.

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault.

He didn't play the game. At all. And he's a reviewer. That isn't reviewing the game, and it is his fault. Is it because my tastes aren't the same as his? No! If he had trashed the game, and I was complaining about how Cha Cha isn't that annoying, or the weapons aren't that slow, or he wasn't funny, you'd have a point. But when he doesn't actually play the game and still reviews it, how can you possibly say that is my fault? The very notion of that is insulting; I'm not the one getting paid to play a game for half an hour and then make a five minute "review" of it.

He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on.

I post how I want. If that's not adequate for you, another poster, then it can't be my fault.

In all seriousness, it's not about "acceptance" or "his way." It's about the fact he's not doing his job; I.E. reviewing games. He's not even criticizing it well, if you want to say he's just a critic, because he didn't criticize the game, he criticized what is basically the instruction manual, or the font.

Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation.

While not every creator reads the forums, plenty do, and, more importantly, people who watch ZP and could be swayed by him read the forums, so setting the record straight is a good thing just to prevent them from being misinformed.

Again, it's not about his methods, it's about the content. Is he funny? Sure, although the jokes sometimes get old (Yes, Yahtzee, we get it, you always kill/collect/target the enemies genitals/genital fluids!). But if he's not doing his job as a reviewer/critic/whatever you want to call him, he's still not doing his job no matter how funny it is.

He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely

60%, giving him perfect marks for humor, is still failing, sweetie. Again, I wouldn't care if he was the funniest thing I've ever watched *and* was praising the game, I'd still be annoyed if he only played through a bit of the game and was acting as if that was the entire game.

so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week

I expect more than an *hour* of play time out of him.

[quotewhen he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much.[/quote]

First off: Nobody asked him to beat it. In fact, most of the posters, myself included, explicitly said the game was too long to beat in a week. We just asked that he would play past thirty minutes in, enough to actually get to the monster hunting, or, failing that, to at least say he got so bored with it he stopped before he eve did.

He knows how to do his job

If his job lets him get away with only doing thirty minutes of research then releasing five minutes of content, pretty much anybody could do it, actually. Maybe not so humorously, I'm sure, but he's as much reviewer as he is humorist, and people clearly take his opinions seriously, so he should take them seriously as well.

and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Then why are you here? You came specifically to bash us for bashing Yahtzee (which we didn't do), saying that our posts don't matter (even though they've at least converted a few people, or came to reasonable agreement, about the fact the game isn't that bad), strawmanning us about how much we expect of Yahtzee, and then saying posting is irrelevant (when you're posting, doing all the things you said we shouldn't do to Yahtzee, to us?) The double standard here is palpable.

Well thank you for clearing everything up. Before your post, I wasn't sure if people paid attention to what I said at all, but now I'm clear that at least some people ignore me and only see me as "Mean guy bashing Yahtzee" despite the fact I'm pretty sure I've been very reasonable.

I hope this clears things up for you, but I'm doubtful. :/

Warachia:

SAMAS:

Warachia:

SAMAS:

Shamanic Rhythm:
Wow, 16 pages of complaining that he missed the point and that anyone who takes his word on it is a sheep.

Positive or negative review doesn't enter into it, the game is about Monster Hunting, but at no time does he actually talk about hunting monsters. If he talked about how long it takes to get to your first big monster hunt, then went into about how much he did or didn't like it, there wouldn't have been anything to talk about here. But he doesn't, and as a result we got the most half-assed ZP in recent history.

It's not just about this game. Have you ever watched or read the reactions to movies like The Core or The Day After Tomorrow from people who actually know climatology or geology? Whether the piece was positive or negative, at the very least we expect him to actually do the work if he's gonna make a video about it.

In short: This was a shitty video. It doesn't matter what game it was about. He could've done this about Drake and the 99 Dragons, and if he did as little as he did here it would still be shit. Yahtzee is better than this.

he DID work at it, he told his experience, and what he didn't like, and what he didn't like is that you BARELY HUNT F***ING MONSTERS, unless you count the wildlife as monsters, and he DID go into great detail about the game mechanics, and what the majority of the game is about and explaining how the game works, and tells you if you're going to get it anyway, to play it on a classic controller.

Except he didn't barely fight monsters. He didn't fight any monsters.

So he didn't get to go killing dragons with an Infinity +1 sword from the get-go. Big Surprise there. You fight your first Monster (Great Jaggi) on a Lv. 2 mission. TWO! You get past the starter missions, and you get to fight a forty-foot-long Raptor! I can respect that he and other gamers don't like grinding (I don't like too much of it myself if I'm not having fun doing it), and I didn't expect this game to change his mind about games like this. But trying to review the game without even getting out of the metaphorical kiddie pool is just wrong.

it's a ggod thing he didn't complain about the combat then, but you have to remember, he has less than a week to play, then review his games, which incidently is why his review of demon souls barely covered the game. Usually (according to him) he can beat a game by pulling all nighters, but when a game takes a long time to beat or get anywhere (like monster hunter and most Jrpg's) he can only review what he has finished, unless you want his reviews to be biweekly.

IIRC, he mentions putting 25 hours into Demon Souls in that review.

...Nope, I take it back. It was Dragon Age, though that was also deemed a heavily MMORPGer-style game.

SAMAS:

Give me a link to that, because I'm having a hard time believing he put anywhere close to five hours into Demon's Souls, as he mentions getting to the end of 1-2 during his video review, and no further.

Hazy:

SAMAS:

Give me a link to that, because I'm having a hard time believing he put anywhere close to five hours into Demon's Souls, as he mentions getting to the end of 1-2 during his video review, and no further.

Well, as I mentioned above, it was Dragon Age I was thinking about, and it's said in the video itself.

SAMAS:

Hazy:

SAMAS:

Well, as I mentioned above, it was Dragon Age I was thinking about, and it's said in the video itself.

Ah, sorry, I didn't know that you were referring to Dragon Age. My mistake.

This didn't happen.

deckai:

Shjade:
Hm...I can't comment on the accuracy of a ZP comic critique of a game I haven't played. That said, watching gameplay videos of combat, I have to ask the folks who've played the game - particularly those who say they enjoy it - does the combat remind you of Phantasy Star Online?

I would say yes, in a way it remindes me of the phantasy star series but the fighting-mechanics are way better, mindless mashing doesn't work here, timing is essential. I'm rather new to the MH series, so i'm no pro and still get hit by enraged Monsters but I get better with each successfull hunt ;)

PSO was my crack before I played this game, and many aspects are the same. Neither really had a lock-on system (PSO did have that little auto-aim thing for spells/guns), but everything I griped about in PSO was better in some way in Monster Hunter. The Dragon boss (Forest PSO) annoyed me with its' landing attack that would spread damage along the floor, and at lower levels, this meant death if it happened to land near you. In Monster Hunter, if a flying creature (like one of the dragon-types) lands near you in monster hunter, you get pushed back from the wind, not hurt (although if they move to attack right afterward it could mean death).

PSO also had really predicable bosses. They all had some pattern of attack, which made killing them seem all too routine. Monsters in this game tend to change it up. You can learn the tells for their attacks, but it doesn't mean you'll be able to dodge each and every time. Finding new weapons from dead creatures always bothered me, and in this one, they drop nothing, you kill and carve them for parts that they should contain. (sure it's random, but still, at least it makes slightly more sense)

Weapons... both games have plenty, and each with its' own combos and weaknesses (times when you're unable to move/dodge) and doing the wrong move at the wrong time can get you hurt/killed. Blocking can only be done by certain weapons and not at random (like PSO), so if you're quick enough, and not in the middle of some other attack/action, you can block MOST attacks (some are just too strong for smaller shields to handle)

I picked up this game because I got into the series thanks to some friends playing the PSP versions. After watching them play for over a month, and lose to one particular dragon day after day after day, I really started getting interested. When I picked it up, I was quite happy with all the various systems and little things the game offers. It takes time to get into, this is true, but after that initial 45 minutes to 3 hours (time varies on how quickly you move from objective to objective), you can really start getting into the thick of it.

Even with my hundreds of hours of experience in previous MH titles, the Hunter Rank 9 Urgent Quest (the last one before I get new missions) took me and one other guy 49 minutes to complete. It was a hard fought battle, and I'm quite happy to say that it took me nearly every second to fell the beast. People complain about the maps, and about the lack of variety, but coming from PSO, in which there were a handful of creatures in each map and 4 main bosses (plus their more powerful "ultimate" forms), Monster Hunter was an amazing change.

My goodness this has turned into quite a wall. Oh well.

Dracolich5:
Judging by your post count, you must have annoyed thousands of people who can think by now.

Dracolich5:
It's pretty clear from your posts that you're the kind of person who accepts things and moves on. Ok, that's great for you but it's also what's known as an "enabler" personality. Granted, many people will call you well-adjusted but in reality your entire outlook on life is so laisez-faire that you're not interesting.

Judging by your posts, I think you get a kick out of being condescending. Nice subtle way of attacking someone. Making your insults sound clever doesn't make them any less insulting to people.

Reported, anyway. I'm sick of seeing shit like this on the forum.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here