Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

People brought up a lot of details about the game in this thread, but the basic fact is that it's plain obvious that Yahtzee phoned it in for this review. He demonstrates a very shallow knowledge of the game and even makes up for time by spending the first few minutes talking about irrelevant subjects (MMORPGs, Harvest Moon, adult visual novels, the box art, the Wii, the opening cinematic). He's clearly grasping at straws there.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put Monster Hunter and Harvest Moon in the same sentence before. The games are so wildly different in every way that a comparison is moot.

As people have said previously, the knowledge he shows in the video indicates that he only played the game for a maximum of around an hour, and a small number of fast quests. He didn't even get to the meat of the game, which is hunting monsters as the title indicates. He hardly knows enough about the game to be able to make a fair judgment of its strengths and weaknesses. It's not a perfect game by all means - you just have to go to the GameFAQs board for MH3 and see what everyone complains about (sluggish weapon usage, manual camera controls, Diablos is freaking fast, flexing when gulping potions) - but he never touches on what the game's real weaknesses are. That's really disappointing.

Unfortunately, lazy reviews like this (even humorous not-really-reviews) spread misinformation. If a reviewer isn't going to actually play the game they're reviewing any substantial amount they may as well not review it at all. I imagine he only put this video up because he's still playing/reviewing another game and this one was a little side project which he'd throw at the wall after a bit.

I really think he missed a good game by starting out with misplaced preconceptions about it. He didn't have to play much further to get to the real stuff, and then he would also understand why they start you off with gather and small hunting quests for the tutorial. I was surprised he dropped it after seeing Lagiacrus. For everyone else, it was an indicator of things to come. I still don't follow his reasoning for dropping the game after seeing that. And perhaps I don't want to, if it would cause me to miss hints about the rest of a game like that. Really quite saddening.

go nana go:

epsilon246:

ForgottenPr0digy:
Hooray another shitty game for the wii

I don't get it why do Japanese people like this sort of grind fest with no storyline(final fantasy and so many other JRPGs are grind fest with a storyline)

Believe it or not japanese gamers like being told what to do next.
evidence: fusion the most linear of the metroid games did much better in japan than it's predecesors. That's just what they're like.

Fusion was 2D
Those do good in Japan dude,
They INVENTED it!

Other 2d metroid games didn't do as well as fusion, and they were much less linear. Japanese gamers prefer linear gaming western prefer open.

AverageJoe:

Judging by your posts, I think you get a kick out of being condescending. Nice subtle way of attacking someone. Making your insults sound clever doesn't make them any less insulting to people.

Reported, anyway. I'm sick of seeing shit like this on the forum.

Silly power-tripper, you're not a mod and trying to act like one is pretty silly. Their comments were insulting as well though not as direct. I find your post insulting too. Welcome to the internet. For the record, getting a user banned is useless in a world with proxies and free anonymous registration.

Have fun spinning your wheels, noob.

I've been watching this thread for the last few days and have made to effort to actually read all the posts here.
As misinformation is being spread I feel obliged to post my experience with the game.

For the record:
I'm new to the Monster Hunter series and never hear of it until the MH3 was announced for the Wii.
Right now I have spend about 75 hours with the singleplayer mode, but barely scratched multiplayer, as I'd like to start over with 2 friends.

As most of the points have been covered pretty good by milskidasith, I'd like to give as few redundant information as possible, but still give my opinion on the most improtant points.

MMORPG&Grinding aspect:
From what I keep hearing, most of you haven't ever come near any MMORPG and seem to have a faulty definition of grinding.
My MMORPG time are long over, but I had enough time to gather experience with Ragnarok Online, where you grind months until the game starts to be remotely fun, Dark Age of Camelot, which is similar but has an interesting setting/world and World of Warcraft, which covers up grinding quite well until you read endgame, which is the worst of all 3.

What I'm trying to say that MH3 contains a minor amount of grinding, which is mostly optional.
I could have beaten 80% of the singleplayer game just using 2 armorsets (Quropecco and Baggi), from bosses which are quite easy.
Hell I even could have left out the secound one and instead upgrade the first one with armor spheres, which you have in galore.
The few points of armor you will miss out in comparison with the higher sets don't matter anyway, since the most important things that armor gives you are armor skills.
I'm saying "could have", because I'm a collector, which enjoys getting new armor and loves crafting.

As several people have already stated, you get a farm and boats quite early in singleplayer, which supply you you most of the ingredients needed, besides monster parts.

Furthermore reapeating bosses in MH3 isn't tedious, as you might know it from MMORPGS.
Each monster is unique and poses a challenge, even you have beaten it multiple times.
It may be hard to describe, but it feels a bit like when you play one of this highscore based arcade games and then start over thinking "I can do better than this!".

The first time you fight a boss, without using any of the tools it may take anything between 20-40 minutes, depending on how good you are.
Fighting it this way, lets you learn its movment patterns and develop strategies.

If you really are not in the mood for a long fight, or want to farm that monster you can bring bombs, traps and gimmicks (produced by your farm, or bought in the shop, so no extra effort needed) you can beat a monster in as short as ten minutes.
If you don't believe me watch this guys videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/SocialDissonance#g/u
He doesn't use any overpowered equipment, just basic stuff you can have when you meet the monster the first time.

About the tutorial:
I don't even see the point in defending it.
For me it has been a part of the experience, nothing tedious to find there at all.
I really enjoyed to go and explore the Moga Woods for the first time, watch the wildlife and look at the beautifully designed areas.

Everything apart from that has already been said.
You will get to fight giant monsters soon enough, just use the time before it to get used to the controls and grasp the game mechanics.

About console elitism:
You don't like the Wii? Fine with me, as long as you don't run around insulting it.

The Wii may not be on par graphic wise, with the XBox, the Playstation and the PC, but that's fine too.
While the latter 3 focus on getting more pixels, shaders and whatnot, the Wii can focus on innovation, playability and fun.

Claming the Wii is a kids console only, featuring no "hardcore games", is also nonsense.
I have already played a ood bunch of games on it, which were more challenging, than most of the games that come out for PC nowadays.

The game has the same right to exist on the Wii as on any other console.

AverageJoe:

Judging by your posts, I think you get a kick out of being condescending. Nice subtle way of attacking someone. Making your insults sound clever doesn't make them any less insulting to people.

Have you even read all of his posts?
He stayed calm and reasonable for over a dozen pages, while people keep spouting nonsense and completely ignoring his valid arguments.
This would make anyone angry.

@milskidasith:
Nice to see another Urist around here.
Do you mind telling me, under which username you are being active at bay12games?

Dracolich5:

mike1921:

I could've told you Oblivion was a fun game, or at least able to keep my interest 3 hours in and I've played that for way more than 140 hours. If I was still playing a tutorial mission 3 hours in though, I would've took the game box outside and lit it on fire.

Cry more. Really, cry more. When you're mature enough to have an opinion, the rest of us will know.

Less "Cry more", more real arguments

mike1921:

If the game has a steep learning curve put in a skippable tutorial. You make it sound like "people skip tutorials" is actually a reason why tutorials shouldn't be named as such and skippable. That is the very reason why they should be there and easy to skip. Because there are a lot of times when people don't want to do them.

Well, there comes a point where it's nice for them to be skippable, but if your test audiences all need to go back and do them after the first boss wipes the floor with them, then it would appear there's room for the other view as well.

Gee, sure wish everything in life would have easy-mode conformity like Oblivion. That game's a cake walk but you can't admit it because you're power-tripping like a tard that got control of the short bus.

disagree. The game can be the hardest, most complicated, most newb unfriendly thing ever, I still won't be ok with a non skippable tutorial.

Hey, you said agame with 140 hours of gameplay can't be judged by the first 3 hours. You never said anything about how easy the game si?

crypt-creature:

mike1921:

There is no such thing as a subtle loading screen.

Sure there is.
Say, a futuristic game the requires you to go up/down an elevator to get to the next stage. Begin elevator riding animation that takes long enough to act as a load screen, but without 'loading' listed across it and making the ride seem like part of the game. Add in a few vocals (maybe information or something that would fit the theme of the game, [insert creativity here])
A loading screen doesn't have to say 'loading' or be static for it to be a loading screen (and yes, it can be done).

I played Mass effect, those elevator rides were the most annoying flow breaking things ever.

I've watched your reviews, always got good reviews which I think fit the game perfectly when I get them(if I do), but this one is rather off, yes there is resource gathering quests at the start, but maybe a hour or two worth then you get to monster battles which you made sound like are non existant. Having played the game(I am a rather large fan so bias entailed into comment) I will say you couldn't have gotten very far into this game before reviewing.

Mindmaker:

While the latter 3 focus on getting more pixels, shaders and whatnot, the Wii can focus on innovation, playability and fun.

It gets the innovation part right,but most of the games I've played on it were completely unplayable and frustrating. And the games that were playable were only playable because it didn't rely on the motion controls too much (SMBB with the gamecube controler, SMG because the only thing you had to do was that incredibly simple spin thing, NMH1 because as long as you can swing the wii mote in the general direction the game wants you to it'll work)

JEEZUS CHRIST 700 POST?! WE GET IT ALREADY, YAHTZEE DID A BAD REVIEW, HDFAGS WILL BE HDFAGS!

mike1921:

Mindmaker:

It gets the innovation part right,but most of the games I've played on it were completely unplayable and frustrating. And the games that were playable were only playable because it didn't rely on the motion controls too much (SMBB with the gamecube controler, SMG because the only thing you had to do was that incredibly simple spin thing, NMH1 because as long as you can swing the wii mote in the general direction the game wants you to it'll work)

So it's the console's fault that you don't know about the good games? There are plenty around. Sure they might not be all to your taste, but calling them bad is just ridiculous.
Some examples:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
A Boy and His Blob
Little King's Story
Boom Blox: Bash Party
de Blob
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Zack & Wiki

And those are just the ones I can think of right now. Not to mention the games that were improved by motion controls (Okami, RE4, Metroid Trilogy). And then there are the numerous Wii-Ware titles that kick some serious ass. Like bit.trip beat for example.

krgskks:

mike1921:

Mindmaker:

So it's the console's fault that you don't know about the good games? There are plenty around. Sure they might not be all to your taste, but calling them bad is just ridiculous.
Some examples:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
A Boy and His Blob
Little King's Story
Boom Blox: Bash Party
de Blob
Punch-Out!!
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Zack & Wiki

And those are just the ones I can think of right now. Not to mention the games that were improved by motion controls (Okami, RE4, Metroid Trilogy). And then there are the numerous Wii-Ware titles that kick some serious ass. Like bit.trip beat for example.

Okami? Improved by motion controls? I was really looking forward to playing that game but when I finally rented it I had to send it back 2 hours later because trying to use the motion controls was absolutely impossible for me. I will eventually get it for the PS2 where I can use a controller I actually tolerate.

Aylaine:
In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault. He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation. He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much. He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)

Well said, we need a disclaimer like that at the beginning of the OP for his videos.

Quaidis:

feather240:

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.

How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?

Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.

Maybe he was playing with the wiimote instead of the controller. He probably had one at some point, but maybe he sold it. To get money for a triple-cun- *cough* Nevermind... <.<

Great Review, cant wait for next weeks!

feather240:

Quaidis:

feather240:

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

How long does it take to get to the good part? It isn't one of those "Only 13hours until FFXXXX gets good!" things is it?

Apologies if someone already answered you. It takes less than an hour (two hours at most if you take your time enjoying the scenery) to get to the bigger monsters. The first quests are very easy and quick, and are there to help you get a feel of the game and controls. If you are use to previous Monster Hunter games, it takes less than thirty minutes.

Maybe he was playing with the wiimote instead of the controller. He probably had one at some point, but maybe he sold it. To get money for a triple-cun- *cough* Nevermind... <.<

Ahahaha... Ahh..... Good times.

Honestly, I've been playing with the Wiimote and haven't had any trouble. It takes getting use to, mind you.

Bloody well that could be read in all sorts of fashions.

Usually I prefer not to participate in these discussions. But I have to say something about this game. It's sucks! Dinosaur balls.

You know, here all the games have to be imported. Game, shipping, taxes, the thing cost me $130. And it is pure garbage.

Yahtzee has not played enough to know how much this game stinks. When the big monsters begins, the shit goes downhill. You know, the fans make it seem like there is much complexity involved but Monster Hunter can be classified as an "wait RPG" instead an "action RPG". You just wait, wait, wait. If wait is a sign of complexity then a dog in the back door of a MC Donalds waiting put the trash out must be the best monster hunter ever.

You wait the exaggerated animal attack animation, wait the exaggerated animations when you use items, the monsters have a habit of running away (big reptile pussys!), God! The loading screen is burned in to my eyes!

I'll describe how my experience with the game. Well, has this slug with wings who spends most time on the ceiling where you can not hit it with melee weapons. Man I hit him the maximum I could but the time end and the thing not die. Then I thought, "I have to give an upgrade on my weapon."

I looked for rare resource for hours.

Don't work. Then someone in a forum told me: "the best weapon is the bowgun". Except that this weapon is made up of three parts.

I looked for rare resource for hours.

When I face the monster again saw the gun hardly cause any damage. Someone said, "no! you'll need special ammunition, you should go after rare resource for hours!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps.: Sorry the bad English, I feel really stupid after playing MH3. I think my brain has regressed to Jurassic levels after having played this thing.

mike1921:

I played Mass effect, those elevator rides were the most annoying flow breaking things ever.

Honestly... is there anything that doesn't annoy you?

Luckily for most people, your statement doesn't seem to apply. It mostly seems like you're an impatient gamer.
But that wasn't the original point, and as it is these discussions are going nowhere. I shall take my leave.

epsilon246:

go nana go:

epsilon246:

ForgottenPr0digy:
Hooray another shitty game for the wii

I don't get it why do Japanese people like this sort of grind fest with no storyline(final fantasy and so many other JRPGs are grind fest with a storyline)

Believe it or not japanese gamers like being told what to do next.
evidence: fusion the most linear of the metroid games did much better in japan than it's predecesors. That's just what they're like.

Fusion was 2D
Those do good in Japan dude,
They INVENTED it!

Other 2d metroid games didn't do as well as fusion, and they were much less linear. Japanese gamers prefer linear gaming western prefer open.

Super Metroid, good
Metroid Zero Mission, good
This doesn't make sense!!!!

Wiki on fusion:
"The game went on to sell over 940,000 copies in North America by August 2006, with revenues of $27 million.[33] As of November 2004, the game has sold 155,000 units in Japan."

Wiki on super metriod:
"Super Metroid sold poorly in Japan. With the help of strong marketing from Nintendo, Super Metroid sold better in North America and Europe."
?!?!?! A 2d linear game selling better in North America?!?!?!?
It's more about the fact metroid is not japanese at all. It's pure sci-fi with no spirits or folklore or allusions or chosen ones or any staples of japanese society, and it fits in perfectly with the american audience. We DO love shooting stuff in space. EVERY game was linear back in the day. And no one complained they wished they could have dialog options and bang Asari in space for the lulz.

crypt-creature:

What he complains about are minute things, the load times are long in every version of MH that has ever been produced (people saying it doesn't have a good enough processor for this type of game don't know what they're talking about).

Nitpicking caveat: Freedom Unite (PSP) included an "install" option. My friends who played it multiplayer took upwards of 12 seconds to load just about every map(pretty bad).
The install option (I used it) cut that down to no more than 3 seconds, which is pretty good.

Ok, nitpicking over.

Mindmaker:

Oh how I wish that were true. No, I'm not being sarcastic. I was stupid enough to actually buy a Wii and I have enjoyed a whopping one title on it for the controls and innovation.
It's depressing to see how much trash gets vomited onto the system in an effort to make a quick buck. Make no mistake, I know what developers really do with the Wii. Their profits come from lower development costs and the fad-mentality associated with the Wii ensures there will be a large market.

"Innovation" for the vast majority of Wii titles works as follows:
1) Develop Gamecube game.
2) Remapping traditional console controls into waggles.
3) Maybe do something new with the pointer feature, the only part of the Wii that is functionally different and exclusive to the system.

So in essence, you've simply replaced a stable working version of control for one that is in every way less stable and reliable.
There is room for innovation, but it's often just cheaper to do the remap gimmick and hope nobody catches on.
I know this because I played both versions of Twilight Princess. The Gamecube controls were every bit as entertaining and often superior to the Wii's.

Mindmaker:

@milskidasith:
Nice to see another Urist around here.
Do you mind telling me, under which username you are being active at bay12games?

Milskidasith, though I don't post on the forums much.

As for Mangue: I don't want to explain everything again, but you're pretty much wrong... that slug monster (Gigginox) stays on the ceiling sometimes, and it has two attacks: A bodyslam that puts it back on the ground, and a "I eat you" attack that keeps his head low to the ground afterwards. I was also able to beat him with a 2* quality weapon, and he's a 4* boss, and even if you have to grind weapon upgrades, no weapons on offline actually *use* rare materials; they all use a couple common drops from bosses so the only way to not have them after one fight would be if you are "unlucky" enough to get mostly rare items used in armor crafting.

PS: Gigginox is very weak to fire and his chest is his weakest point, try between his head/tail and legs and slashing with a fire SnS; I can beat him in five minutes at this point, though I've upgraded a bit since my first encounter.

crypt-creature:

mike1921:

Luckily for most people, your statement doesn't seem to apply. It mostly seems like you're an impatient gamer.
But that wasn't the original point, and as it is these discussions are going nowhere. I shall take my leave.

Is there anything that does annoy you? I can't imagine someone actually enjoying a loading screen whether it's disguised to look like an elevator ride or not

I'm patient, just not when I'm supposed to be having fun. I'm supposed to be having fun when I'm playing a game though, so every point in the middle of gameplay where I am stopped from playing and forced to wait is a point against it to me.

Not as great as other reviews, but how Yahtzee reviews things is how he reviews things.

I had the very first MH, it was awesome, even if no one else might think so, so when I heard of MH3, I was excited,
Seeing other people play it, it doesn't look as bad as he makes it out to be.

If I still had a Wii, I would have gotten this game, regardless of Yahtzee's Opinion, or any of the people who say the game is shit.

Dracolich5:

AverageJoe:

Silly power-tripper, you're not a mod and trying to act like one is pretty silly. Their comments were insulting as well though not as direct. I find your post insulting too. Welcome to the internet. For the record, getting a user banned is useless in a world with proxies and free anonymous registration.

Have fun spinning your wheels, noob.

It's not my fault if the mods here ignore the pretentious swine in favor of banning people for asinine things. Someone's gotta speak up now and then if this community has any hope of being a decent place to spend our time again. Even if it gets the speaker banned for speaking up.

In case you didn't notice, the user you talked down to was making their very first post in the thread and the tone and content of the post was completely friendly and passive. Whether you agreed with the content or not is irrelevant (I mostly don't agree either) because you replied in a holier-than-thou attitude with a patronizing and insulting post which is something I see every frickin day on this forum and is something nobody ever does anything about. Frankly I'm sick of it, and we don't need more of it here.

Ghored:
Not as great as other reviews, but how Yahtzee reviews things is how he reviews things.

I don't get this defense. Nobody is complaining about how he reviews/criticizes things (because apparently whether I call it a review or criticism affects whether or not he can be called out for making mistakes, somehow, so just pick which one you agree with), we're pointing out he didn't play the game for more than an incredibly short period of time and gave false impressions to the viewers because of it.

feather240:

Aylaine:
In response to anyone bashing Yahtzee here, something you should keep in mind:

He reviews how he wants. If it's not adequate for you, the viewer, then it can't be his fault. He does things his way, you choose to accept or not accept it, and move on. Arguing about it won't accomplish anything in my opinion because this method works for him and most of the people who watch Zero Punctuation. He's also not here to do 100% professional reviews. They do contain validity, but it's at a 40% vs 60% humor ratio in my opinion, averagely so expecting him to play through the entire game in a week when he has other things to do, clearly doesn't like the game or simply lost interest (or perhaps all 3) is asking too much. He knows how to do his job, and if you guys don't really agree with it, I'm sorry. That's the way things go. Arguing about it won't solve anything though, and it will likely cause more problems.

Just thought I would clear that up. :)

Well said, we need a disclaimer like that at the beginning of the OP for his videos.

Quaidis:

feather240:

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:

Finally someone who actually understood my post. Cookies to you for being able to read past all the arguing and vs-ism here. :)

ezeroast:

Mr Metzger:
Who is that guy who is always used in his pictures?

If i remember he wanted something to express expressionless, did a google search and found that guy.

Thanks man it was really bugging me. I think i found the face on google too lol

It sounds like Yahtzee stopped playing the game pretty quickly from the review, as the large monsters are actually somewhat interesting to fight. It takes rather too long to get to the large monsters, and the grinding part is moronic and obnoxious, but fighting the large monsters is actually kind of fun.

Really, this strikes me as one of those examples of chaff which makes a game worse than it needs to be. If the game was pretty much entirely just hunting large monsters, it'd be a much better game, as the rest is dross which is simply not very enjoyable. Running around the island to gather resources is boring and tedious, and fighting the large monsters several times to gather resources from them is ALSO boring and tedious - while some of them mix things up a bit, and capture quests are a somewhat interesting diversion, more than two fights with them just is dumb and yet the game sometimes requires far more than that.

The game is not as bad as Yahtzee makes it out to be, but let's face it - it is still not a very good game and contains grinding.

Wow so much reaction to this video o.O seems like this game like any other, has an audience that "gets it" and others that just don't, which in turn makes it "good" or "bad".
I personally didn't think Tri was that terrible, but I agree they didn't Tri hard enough.
I'm back to playing the PSP version as I'm typing this, it was much better imo.

P.S I'm guessing being the usual Yahtzee, he didn't try to play online. Just as well, that place is filled with 10yr olds anyways.

crypt-creature:

mike1921:

Actually, the Mass Effect elevator rides were probably the single most complained about thing in the entire game. There were threads with upwards of a thousand posts about it on Bioware's forums after the release, and they were mentioned as bad by a large number of reviews. I mean, hell, there's even a Penny Arcade about it. :P

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
seriously, im fucking dissapointed.
what the fuck happened to Zero Punctuation!

been watching since the darkness preview and this is the last nail in the coffin.
ZP has gone the way of xkcd and xplosm.

since the beggining we've been able to see yahtzee was never a great gamer, sure, good a guitar hero, complex as hell... but he's fair shit at everything else. used to be funny as hell

monster hunter is one of the great RPG gaming series, and yahtzee just doesnt get the fucking concept of a good game, his sence of taste has some good points, but only infamously good games.
eg, psychonauts, BG&E. he refused to see what this game is actually about, missing the main gameplay line entirely.

tl,dr: YAHTZEE is a cunt.
Zero Punctuation is shit.

If only this game wasn't for the Wii, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Despite, or perhaps because of, the review, it seems like a fun game. Starting off as a lowly hunter that needs to work up to the grand, epic scale fights appeals to my inner leveling demon. That bastard can't get enough of the grind, and so I have to feed it games like this now and again.

Hammith:

Actually, the Mass Effect elevator rides were probably the single most complained about thing in the entire game. There were threads with upwards of a thousand posts about it on Bioware's forums after the release, and they were mentioned as bad by a large number of reviews. I mean, hell, there's even a Penny Arcade about it. :P

Hm, then I suppose it's sad I never paid attention to Bioware's forums (I find it hard to care that much) or Penny Arcade. Quite honestly, from word-of-mouth I never heard a peep about people being annoyed by the load times... and having been employed by a video game store at that time, I find it odd.

Admittedly, the sites that complain about these kinds of things the most I just don't go to. I find them... rather biased or uninteresting.

its funny because this game actually scored perfect score on famitong, one of the most famous game magazines in Japan, and for the very reasons that Yahtzee claims do not exist

Ok, new rule: Yahtzee needs to tell the audience how much of the game he actually played. A lot of this could have been avoided if he just told people that he barely played the tutorial.

So many new accounts.... im guessing mostly from /v/? I get that people hold strong opinions about this game but it's really one of those things that makes the audience look bad. Like when people call out FF on some of it's bullshit and there is a massive japanophile backlash.

Lets try and get sensible. Monster hunter is well regarded by it's audience but the game is not for everyone. Both sides are 'right' in a sense. There are things about monster hunter, that are still present in Tri, that will put a very large % off people off the game such as the camera which IS pretty terrible.

I also think Yhatzee intentionally missed the point of the game (also had no idea that the water encounter was actually scripted). The game has a commited fanbase for a good reason, it's a game that rewards persistant imput and to a certain type of gamer grants a great motiviating experience when finally beating a tough monster.

The reason many people are so very angry is that you didn't even try. You managed to just say "lol crap!" yet i noticed in your Clear Sky reveiw (another game that is flawed, hard and a bit broken) you managed to see how it being hard and even tedious could work in it's favor. It's clear you can tolerate 'hard' games and even broken ones.

Ehn, we should remember (769 posts wow that's a lot goddamn) that a Yahtzee video only really has one requirement- It is funny as Seven Samurai played at 10X speed.
And, was it? Yes, yes it was. As they always are.
No one usually seems to mind when Yahtzee baselessly insults anything else, why is this such a problem? Hands up, people- who actually buys games based on Yahtzee reviews? You? Please leave the room for lying, you filthy liar.
And even if you aren't lying, well, I guess you deserve to miss out on an excellent game for only taking ONE review into account. I can't see it hurting sales too much; good games are recieved as good games.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here