Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

nicholaxxx:

solidstatemind:

If you don't pay attention enough/seen enough ZP to have noticed that he has said that he absolutely does not review MP, shouldn't that be chalked up to your ignorance? Same goes for the bit about not playing it long enough. Jesus: he covered that like only 2 episodes ago.

It takes 2-4 hours based on how much you play for it to get good.

He has admitted that he does fuck all but play the game he will be reviewing.

He had reasons to only play FFXIII for only 5 hours (though not very good ones).

He has a fucking week to play. (three days? I think he mentioned it somewhere in one of his articles)

you're telling me that he has so little time that he can only fit a couple hours in a few days, despite his entire job revolving around playing games?

Trust me, by no means am a a fanboy for MH, but I have played it, and it is really fun

That's a valid argument, but at the same time, what I'm getting at is that Yahtzee is up front about the fact that he doesn't play games for that long... so you should know that is going to come up. That's really the only point I'm trying to make: Yahtzee does his Yahtzee schtick, and when you watch the video, you should take that into account.

You know: Caveat Emptor. I don't necessarily agree with all of the... well, policies for lack of a better word- that he employs, but I'm aware of them. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all the viewers to be aware of them as well, rather than whining on and on about how he's done their favorite game wrong simply by behaving as he's always behaved. (And funny, they didn't complain about it when Yahtzee did that to a game they really weren't interested in...)

That's it; that's all. Not saying those people don't have a right to like the game, or a right to disagree with Yahtzee disliking a game, but for them to say- in essence- "Yahtzee, you should spend more time on this game that you spend on other games... (the unspoken portion being 'because it's a game I like!)" is rather solopsistic. That's the only thing I was trying to point out, and I apologize to anyone who felt as if I were attacking their right to hold a differing opinion from Mr. Croshaw-- I'll take the responsibility for that, because it means I didn't explain myself well.

Lol, there are so many monster hunter fanboys who can't take yahtzee not liking their game (*cough*daystar*cough*)

I played monster hunter 2 on the psp, and i sank a good 30 hours into that game, on the basis of friends' opinions, and it never got any better than a boring grindfest of fighting the same shit over and over again.

I'm definitely agreeing with yahtzee on this review.

NickCooley:

Eventidal:

NickCooley:
A Typical Zero Punctuation Thread:

1) Average fan watches ZP, is entertained and gathers another opinion about the game being reviewed.

2) More devoted Yahtzee fan's denounce the game in the discussion thread, swearing by the review.

3) Fan's of the game reply in thread stating how Yahtzee Missed the Point/Didn't play the game properly/didn't play the game right/isn't real reviewer/shouldn't be taken seriously. (Delete where appropriate)

4) Groups 2 and 3 begin to argue the toss.

I've yet to see a single ZP thread that didn't follow this to some degree or another. It doesn't really bother me that much I suppose. Except for the ridiculous "isn't a real reviewer" argument. I'd say ZP is as valid as any other review because all a review is, when it boils down to it, is an over glorified opinion of the subject matter and swearing by Yahtzee's reviews is no better (or worse) than swearing by X reviewer.

^reason #1 I don't usually post on his review threads. You're probably right.
But I really don't think anyone should take his reviews seriously. He's fabricating the truth in this review. Not to say it's on purpose or anything, but he's taking one part of the game (apparently the only part he even played- the tutorial) and bashing it into the dust and calling the whole thing horrible as a result. In some reviews, he says good things. Yahtzee's not about the good or bad parts of a game. He focuses on the bad usually, but it's whatever makes for a more funny video that goes in. That's why his reviews shouldn't be taken seriously. "Brawl sucks" - obviously not. "Halo blah blah worst FPS ever" - not if you play the right modes. "MH Tri is the worst" - just ask me and my 110 hours' game time. It's a bunch of game bashing and, while it is funny, it isn't accurate. Based on his word, I should never buy a video game ever. Or maybe just Portal. There are few games he actually said much good about, which would lead most people to the conclusion that they aren't worth getting.

I'm not trying to defend Yahtzee or anything, he's a big boy now and of course you are completely entitled to your own opinion. I've never played Monster Hunter so I can't really comment on whether the review is false or not but I still don't think Yahtzee should be disregarded as a reviewer. But thats not really a compliment on his part. More a sign of my skepticism of reviews in general. While other reviewers may go into greater detail and lengths their reviews are still essentially just their opinion (at least in my mind) like these videos are just Yahtzee's opinion, albeit just with more swear words and metaphors delivered quickly.

But I do agree that anyone that bases their opinion of a game off of a sole review is a bit of a mug.

True. After thinking about it a bit, I think his review is still a valid one. It's a biased one, but then again that's just Yahtzee. He doesn't do grind-heavy games or games whose purpose is to just play and get better. I never saw him liking Monster Hunter. His reviews are there for the laughs more than for the valid and reasonable opinions. And as usual, it was a funny review. He pointed out only the bad parts, but that's what he does. I'm sure anyone who's at all interested in the game would be checking other sources and know what the game is all about.

This thread is pretty embarrassing. I love Yahtzee's videos as much as the next, but people treating them as an actual review need to get a grip. The overall outlook is never even remotely positive, and if you use these videos to determine whether you should buy a game you're fucking retarded.

Jesus, this thread is still going strong? -_-

Yahtzee played for an hours and quit right as he got to the end of the tutorial section from the looks of it.

Anyone who thought that was a valid review of the game, please do yourself and everyone else a favor and DO NOT get this game. You are an idiot and should not get anywhere close to this game. The last thing i need is to see another punk when i join a quest and have him fail the quest for us.

Monsters do not have health bar, no the game doesn't auto-aim for you and no you don't win by spamming the attack button. There's no story, the game is just that, a game. It's like every old school game where most of what you do is play the game and not sit through a shitty story that's in every modern game. You fight monsters and that's it. Is it a grind fest? yep, that part is kinda a bitch but you accomplish it by playing the game more, something you should be enjoying anyway if you stick with it for that long. Bottom line, if you're one of those sissy that play through a game and expect stuff to be given to you, stay the fuck away. If you enjoy fighting stuff that's way too strong for you then you're welcome to try it out.

Yeah, ZP reviews are *strictly opinion*. This is the most important thing about them. Reviews, remember, are often strictly *not* opinion, not personal or committed, but rather the products of the industry game. In that game reviews are a kind of currency used to purchase better advertising revenues, feature exclusives, early access to new projects, and so on, for the publishing venue or reviewer.

The *guarantee* that Yahtzee's opinionated blather contains is this: that what you hear is absolutely *not* the ersatz product of an invisible mechanism designed, in essence, to cheat you out of your money.

Where was the shameless plug for his book?!? Did the Escapist finally catch on and make him take it down?

-M

Got this game yesterday and finally got to the meat of the game, only to realise that Yahtzee didn't mention any of it in his review.

There's a lengthy tutorial because the other MH games had a difficult learning curve, but it's sad to see that Yahtzee didn't play past it. And probably sadder that some viewers will avoid the game now because of it.

Gathering is a big part of the game but not the main part - It all comes down to defeating bigger monsters.
I just did the first real monster, Great Jaggi, and that was bloody hard. That was just the first step towards a zillion more.

Only then do you have the slightly tedious gathering mechanic which goes towards upgrading and creating weapons, armour and supplies.

Dexiro:
Got this game yesterday and finally got to the meat of the game, only to realise that Yahtzee didn't mention any of it in his review.

There's a lengthy tutorial because the other MH games had a difficult learning curve, but it's sad to see that Yahtzee didn't play past it. And probably sadder that some viewers will avoid the game now because of it.

Gathering is a big part of the game but not the main part - It all comes down to defeating bigger monsters.
I just did the first real monster, Great Jaggi, and that was bloody hard. That was just the first step towards a zillion more.

Only then do you have the slightly tedious gathering mechanic which goes towards upgrading and creating weapons, armour and supplies.

The gathering is less important later in.

Weapons and Armour no longer need it after a few sets, supplies are still a must, but, once you get the farm, you can just check back there once in a while and you'll have more than enough supplies.

As much as I like Yahtzee's reviews, he's just not suited to reviewing RPGs. He ends up reviewing the genre, and not the game.

Do I blame him for not playing through more than the first half of the 1-star offline quests (Which took me less than an hour total)? No, he's a fairly busy person and I wouldn't expect him to dump hours upon hours into a game just to review it. But then, if he's not willing to experience everything a game has to offer, he shouldn't be reviewing it, because the review cannot possibly be accurate.

I appreciate that he only likes specific games, but purposely ignoring portions of a game to give it a bad review makes you a bad reviewer. That's not to say Yahtzee isn't entertaining.

Anyways, all I'm really reading in this thread are people that had no intention of buying MH3 anyways agreeing with him, and the people that have actually played it for more than an hour saying he didn't give it a fair shot.

As for the complaint that there isn't a story, MH doesn't need a story, it has good enough gameplay to be fun, with armor and weapons to make providing you a reason to keep fighting harder and harder monsters. The armor and weapons are not the point of the game in themselves. That would be like running a marathon so you could have the juice at the end.

Dexiro:

Not just that, but the tutorial isn't even that long. He probably just dicked around in ALL of the 1* quests rather than the two that the Guild Sweetheart said to do and the 2 minutes you're sent into the Moga Woods for a bit of pre-game exploration. So yeah. The tutorial is "This is how to cook meat. You need it for stamina. This is how to combine. You need it for health. This is how to gather. You need it for the aforementioned combining and cooking."

I mean, if he did actually get to the big monsters he probably would've put in something about the hunters' need to raise their arms in the air like they just don't care about the huge angry monster gunning for them whenever they use a potion. Or, if he were to actually play long enough to get to Gigginox, OH MY GOD GET OFF THE CEILING AND LET ME HIT YOU WHY CAN'T I KNOCK YOU OFF WITH A SONIC BOMB.

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

The game is all about the build up to the big baddies, but it is too much of a grind to get to that point.

I just wish they would have gave a store to buy the material instead of having to go out and collect ALL of it. I mean, they gave you a cheap and easy way to mass produce bugs and plants, so why not make a store to buy the other shit? "Oh no! I didn't get a King's Frill AFTER FIGHTING THE GUY FOR THE THIRD TIME!!!!"

Thank god that there is an online portion that they can update.

NazrinUFO:

Dexiro:

Not just that, but the tutorial isn't even that long. He probably just dicked around in ALL of the 1* quests rather than the two that the Guild Sweetheart said to do and the 2 minutes you're sent into the Moga Woods for a bit of pre-game exploration. So yeah. The tutorial is "This is how to cook meat. You need it for stamina. This is how to combine. You need it for health. This is how to gather. You need it for the aforementioned combining and cooking."

I mean, if he did actually get to the big monsters he probably would've put in something about the hunters' need to raise their arms in the air like they just don't care about the huge angry monster gunning for them whenever they use a potion. Or, if he were to actually play long enough to get to Gigginox, OH MY GOD GET OFF THE CEILING AND LET ME HIT YOU WHY CAN'T I KNOCK YOU OFF WITH A SONIC BOMB.

Yes, Yahtzee cheaped out on us by not playing the entire 999 HR worth. I mean, what kind of lazy bastard wouldn't play a game he didn't like for 300 hours to make a five minute review of it?

As much as i like Yahtzee
he now has other things going on in his life
and doesnt have the time he once had to actually play any game in a short duration of a week.

I dont think he will be able to support this juggling in his life. I say another 2 months and it bye bye Yahtzee.

Alarid:

Yes, Yahtzee cheaped out on us by not playing the entire 999 HR worth. I mean, what kind of lazy bastard wouldn't play a game he didn't like for 300 hours to make a five minute review of it?

And that Strawman argument might have actually flown if only Yahtzee had played the fucking thing for as long as he claimed before (badly) covering his ass in the follow-up article.

That's pretty conclusive then.

Why the fuck does Yahtzee persist with reviewing Japanese RPGs when we all know he'll just shit on them ad nauseum? I'm sure he knows himself that he's not capable of reviewing these type of games so why the fuck bother? These type of reviews of his are the worst because they are so predictable. Just like his reviews for any game by Valve - I'm sure they're the only games that he really enjoys.

What the fuck people? Since when does Yahtzee review games? Man i must be slow on the uptake, i've been watching these videos of Yahtzee's from day dot just thinking they were a bit of fun. I can't personally say i've agreed with the majority of his "reviews", but that's fine 'cause i watch them to have a laugh.

Really, people these days are such a bunch of cry babies, boo hoo yahtzee didn't review my game fairly, blah blah blah. Grow up for christ sake... I suppose you all owning a nintendo wii would have something to do with your maturity levels.

Hahahaha, do the human race a favour and neuter yourselves.

His videos are comedy, develop a sense of humour you fragile fucks.

Okay that's insulting enough methinks. Ahh the internet, what's that theory, give a person anonymity and an audience and they act like tools? The Greater Fuckwad Theory perhaps? Seems to work from a victimisation aspect too. Yes i can rant as well, rant bloo blahh aha ha.

And was never to post again.. Hope the ships goes down vertically.

Open question for monster hunter fans: Do you REALLY want Yahtzee's sheeple cluttering up our games with their retardation? No? Good. He did us a favour.

Also, since I don't really care if I get banned from this crappy site...

Fuck Yahtzee and the shit hole he currently resides in. It's nothing short of astonishing that the escapist kept him and got rid of Rob. Fuck this guy, fuck him with a sideways spear.

Ehhh... I think it's safe to infer that if Yahtzee reviews any game that is in any shape or form like an MMORPG, he'll absolutely pan it... The minute I saw this up, I was like: "He's gonna hate it." He isn't wrong in his arguments about the game. While I am a fan of Monster Hunter, when it comes to Tri, I feel as if something is missing. Whether it be the change of the maps, weapons that were cut from the game, or the plethera of new monsters, I feel as though there's a gap somewhere. No point in asking Yahtzee about the online element, but I do believe that the online element for Tri, while it helps a little, you really don't get much value for that. If you make friends, odds are next time you go on, they won't be on and you'll have to meet new guys. It's this stuff that makes me barely play it. I spend more time playing Freedom Unite than I do Tri. I guess it's because (If anyone else feels the way I do) we're so familiar with Freedom Unite's content, when it comes to Tri's content, we feel as though we have some stuff missing from the package... But I digress, in the end, making Yahtzee review a game that's like an MMORPG is like throwing a lit match in a pool full of gasoline.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Monster Hunter Tri

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Monster Hunter Tri.
Watch Video

I just rewatched the video and realized something. There's not even a mention of the online mode (AT ALL), nor is there a mention of arena mode (Yes, the single player arena mode. You vs a monster. Accessible as soon as a character is made).

The extra punctuation even makes reference to hitting the great jaggi's thighs repeatedly. His thighs. Couldn't you possibly have aimed, you australian dunce? At least a little? He also made comment to the hammer taking... What was it. Eighteen seconds per swing? Eighteen seconds? Not even close. Try more like a second and a half. And that's because of sheer bulk.

He also mentioned taking half an hour to kill the great jaggi. This isn't a bragging point, yahtzee. Half an hour is fully triple my leisurely rate and five times the arena qualifying time. In short, if you're taking half an hour to kill the pussy-cat of the MH3 bosses... It's not a problem with the game. You're doing something wrong.

Also... Moga woods, the OVERWORLD? He honestly called moga woods... THE "OVERWORLD". It's officially come down to it. Yahtzee just plain ol' sucks at playing video games.

For the escapist: It's a 5:04 video. The first 16 seconds was his title scroll. The next 14 seconds are him talking about "not understanding japanese games" and sexual-oriented games. The next 15 are devoted to talking purely about harvest moon. What does this have to do with monster hunter 3? Nothing. After about 12 more seconds of going on about nothing relevant, he actually mentions the name of the game he's "reviewing". A full zarking minute, escapist. This is 20% of the review already wasted NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GAME BEING "REVIEWED". I sure hope you don't pay him by the minute. Another ten odd seconds devoted to discussing the box art. At least that's slightly relevant. I guess. 3 minutes into the video (60% of the review) he has made no mention of actually hunting the large monsters. You know, the meat & potatoes of the MONSTER HUNTER series. The last 15 seconds of actual review are spent ranting about how much he hates the wii. Again, not really relevant to the game itself. The last 20 seconds are his end animations.

In total, he spend 3 minutes and 48 seconds talking about the game in question. This is being generous, escapist. You paid $90 AUS for him to have the game, and whatever you pay him per video in order to get 3:48 of review. Even assuming you only pay him $10 per video, you paid easily $25 AUS per minute of video. Which is pricy considering he spent the time talking about everything but what the actual gameplay is like.

I'm signing up with the people requesting the escapist magazine to review their contract with Yahtzee. Perhaps he's no longer fit to do any variety of "review" on their site, as his utter lack of actual ... reviewing shows. There's so much that could've been made fun of in this game, so many problems that could've been brought to light. But he never reached them.

At least James Rolfe plays the goddamn games.

As for Yahtzee, go back to playing the mindless god of war series and leave the more difficult games to gamers.

Out of curiosity, has Yahtzee tried any of the Phatasy Star Online games?

Now those start to look like a chore compared to MH.

sfried:
Out of curiosity, has Yahtzee tried any of the Phatasy Star Online games?

Now those start to look like a chore compared to MH.

He's never reviewed one. And I'm inclined to say that he likely hasn't played one, but many people haven't.

Matt1234567890:

Dalton Frantz:
I liked the part when the wii killed itself and the Xbox360 and PS3 give each other a high five, which is good for me because PS3 and Xbox360 are fun, but the effect of the wii can easily be achieved by thrusting the controller when you stab someon in Call of Duty.
It's funny when people say how hardcore monster hunter 3 is. it's just funny. It's like saying that prototype has a deep emotional storyline and isn't supposed to be fun. The wii is a console for little kids, and some people think it's hardcore. It's called the Wii, something you say on a ferris wheel or when you need to use the bathroom, not when you win a barfight or eat cereal made of nails and motor oil.

if you eat cereal made of nails and motor oil you're not manly you're just a dumbshit with serious internal bleeding

And you're screwed if you try to take a crap.

This review was hilarious, but in my personal opinion the game is actually pretty cool. I've put in a couple hundred hours without getting bored, but 98% of my experience is online.

I was expecting a bad review cos this game needs some dedication, playing through hr 1 and 2 is absolutely boring. Shit actually gets fun at high hr as you gather less and hunt what you properly call MONSTERS.

However i disagree on the point that it does not deserve to be on anything at all. i think it will be awesome on the PS3.

However, funny vid nevertheless. i always enjoyed your vids.

xs27:
I was expecting a bad review cos this game needs some dedication, playing through hr 1 and 2 is absolutely boring. Shit actually gets fun at high hr as you gather less and hunt what you properly call MONSTERS.

However i disagree on the point that it does not deserve to be on anything at all. i think it will be awesome on the PS3.

There's the problem. It almost HAD to be on the wii.

The 360 is super unpopular in Japan. This would be spitting on their primary fanbase.

The PS3 is not very popular in north america. This would be killing the attempt at making the game succeed in NA.

The wii is successful just about everywhere and will have lower development costs. Check.

So....I have one thing to say. Okay, two things. One, I really respect Yahtzee's way of tearing down the games everyone loves and defends from their retrospective cloud level pedestals. Two, Zero Punctuation is poison. Don't get me wrong, it's a flavorful and delicious poison that you enjoy every life spasming, gut wrenching, bowel loosening moment of. Let me explain before you pass this up out of hand. *Ehem* So, after watching every ZP he has produced, I now have found that the childlike wonder I once had at video games in general, the general foggy malaise I once had at playing something that I had been eagerly awaiting for months, nay, years has now fallen upon my tongue like flat, warm cola. Instead of ignoring the things that at once frustrate me to just enjoy my investment in said games, I am now tearing them apart and yelling at the screen when blatant BS starts pushing my buttons. Example: I used to LOVE the Prince of Persia games (Until they completely ruined it with that Cell shaded piece of crap). Then the newest Itineration came out...and it was belittled by me during play to the point where I was really not having a good time doing anything other than yelling at the stupid developers who must have believed that we enjoyed doing the same thing 20 times in a row. My wife can attest that I was beliggerent, and told me I needed to stop watching Yahtzee, Spooney and Angry Joe. So, in conclusion, ZP made me hate games. Thanks Yahtzee, for breaking my bubble.

Again, Khalloskite, it's a matter of him having enough experience with the game(s) to even do a half-assed criticism of them. He didn't mention anything that might be annoying about the game.

I think that it's time he hang up his hat, and retire if he's unable to put the time investment into a review.

Chibz:

xs27:

There's the problem. It almost HAD to be on the wii.

The 360 is super unpopular in Japan. This would be spitting on their primary fanbase.

The PS3 is not very popular in north america. This would be killing the attempt at making the game succeed in NA.

The wii is successful just about everywhere and will have lower development costs. Check.

While i agree on ur point, i still think capcom should give it a try, i mean, monster hunter is a pretty popular franchise. Some people might even get a ps3 to try it out. and not only north america, i think Monster hunter hunter will sell well cos its popular in japan, most japanese will get PS3s for MH, pretty sure of that.i dun think capcom will make a loss either ways.

xs27:
While i agree on ur point, i still think capcom should give it a try, i mean, monster hunter is a pretty popular franchise. Some people might even get a ps3 to try it out. and not only north america, i think Monster hunter hunter will sell well cos its popular in japan, most japanese will get PS3s for MH, pretty sure of that.i dun think capcom will make a loss either ways.

Well, they would if they didn't sell enough sales to cover the PS3 production costs. And that number happened to be slightly higher than their average sales of a MH game. Releasing it world-wide happened to be a huge gamble, even with the cheaper wii costs. I'm just grateful they took it.

Originally they weren't going to.

lmao at "lets just call it, you bastard!"

Always appreciate your reviews,even the games I like get your unvarnished opinion.

None of the fluff from corporate advertizers skewwing the facts with $ to influence high review numbers.

My favorite video reveiw series....Zero Punctuation.

Grinding was never fun for me in online games,grinding single player? not a chance.

And is it just me,or are the weapons ridiculously BIG,some of them have 4+ times the mass of the player,and yet he swings them under water...without himself spinning from the wieght and water resistance.

Monster hunting with firearms?...why bother having blades/spears when technology in game arms us with guns.Guns...dinosaurs...disconnect.

Tho I guess if a person already bought a WII you gotta have something to play.

Thanks Yahtzee

Keep It Up!

My family games on PCs...
ya know...that platform that can and does other things,while at the same time plays games.

Hey there. You videos are appointment viewing for me, however I knew you were off base when I first watched the video. This was long before I bought MHT and after recalling your review of Demon's Souls, but I wasn't sure how wrong until got 20 some odd hours into the game and realized that this will probably be my new favorite for all time.

In fact you have NEVER been more wrong about a game. One week is all you get so it's not surprising that it didn't appeal, but whenever your video gaming life is your own again I submit that you try it again. There isn't another game with more respect for the player and more of a sense of accomplishment than those in the Monster Hunter series. It's utterly unique for the ability to send the player into despair and awe at the sight of their enemies, and then over the course of the journey (and many deaths) raise them up to be conquerors over these varied and interesting boss monsters, and over the very land itself. The trouble is, not everyone can do it.

Until you at least return to MHT you can count yourself amongst the unfit, Yahtzee.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here