Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

aaron.c:
you are seriously a complete retard
this is a fantastic game and if you have that little a life just to review games all day then you should at least give a half decent look at the game before you say anything about it
get a real job

He is a critic, it's like his job to hate things.
And he has a job.
(sorry if that seemed rude, i'm a bit of a Yahtzee fanboy)

Have you tried Neverwinter Nights 2? If not YOU SHOULD!!
NOT ONLY is it a sequel, it's also a kind of a 3D remake of the Original RPG with all the Gameplay dynamics revamped, plus a very "comprehensive" Crafting system that requires you to carry around a whole inventory-slot full of "reagents" and invest precious skill-points into a skill called Alchemy which basically allows you to crush said reagents into "essences" which can either be set on fire or Eaten...
I could go on but then I would spoil the whole thing, and I'd really love it for you to make a Video of it :D

Okay, I have only two things to say on this subject.

First, his job is that of a reviewer. His job is to play through, and make an informed description of the game, to help others make informed decisions. The game was VERY different from what he described. If you lazy and DON'T want to go through the gathering stuff, just buy your weapons. Not that hard.

Second, just accept it people. Yahtzee is NOT a serious reviewer. He is clearly making fun of these games. accept it, laugh at his silliness, and move on.

Aura Guardian:

LeonLethality:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

I completely agree. And now that he has said he doesn't like it most of the escapist now hates it... *sigh*

Isn't always like that with his reviews?

Their point is that Yahtzee's fans shouldn't change their opinions on a game just because Yahtzee didn't like it. In fact, I find Alone in the Dark 5 to be a fairly good game despite the opinions of said critic and at least half of the rest of the world. *braces self for trolling*

not to go against the grain here but i really love this game.... the combat is massively engaging and every single monster is like a boss fight: they have move sets and differet attacks based on where you are how close etc.

The grind would be bad if it wasn't so fun fighting the monsters. this isn't your typical MMORPG fight where u click the enemy until they die, in MH3 you have to physically fight the giant creatures with your weapon, using items when you need them.

At the end of the day, you grind so that your can fight bigger and badder monsters, and that makes it more fun.

samaugsch:

Their point is that Yahtzee's fans shouldn't change their opinions on a game just because Yahtzee didn't like it.

This. Basically, don't be a stupid horse following a stupid carrot.

...I hate democracy.

sorry but I'll have to disagree with this review, it seems like you couldn't even pass the phase 1 of quests in the game, which is categorized by an amount of stars depending on the difficulty, starting with 1 star and ending with 5 stars and extra quests which includes a more wide variety of fights; the 1 star rank quests are about gathering stuff and killing small monsters, but at time you progress, you will stop getting those kind of quests and you will be facing giant monsters... there is a story line, you are a foreigner who came into the village in order to become a monster hunter, and to achieve that objective you have to do a certain amount of quests to help the village, where a mysterious earthquake took place and almost destroyed it, so basically your job is to find out what produced that magnitude, but you can't do that by yourself, so you have to join a guild (which provides the quests) to solve the mystery about the village, and not only that, you also recruit people for your "crew", such us a tribe child who joins your quests and give you support, 3 fishermans who provides resources, a cat chef who provides food for buffs and special bonus for your quests, and more.

the game is good, if you play single player, because its pointless playing online where the game truly turns into a gathering-stuff-retro-alimentary-circle game and has no storyline

Jack Frost:
sorry but I'll have to disagree with this review, it seems like you couldn't even pass the phase 1 of quests in the game, which is categorized by an amount of stars depending on the difficulty, starting with 1 star and ending with 5 stars and extra quests which includes a more wide variety of fights; the 1 star rank quests are about gathering stuff and killing small monsters, but at time you progress, you will stop getting those kind of quests and you will be facing giant monsters... there is a story line, you are a foreigner who came into the village in order to become a monster hunter, and to achieve that objective you have to do a certain amount of quests to help the village, where a mysterious earthquake took place and almost destroyed it, so basically your job is to find out what produced that magnitude, but you can't do that by yourself, so you have to join a guild (which provides the quests) to solve the mystery about the village, and not only that, you also recruit people for your "crew", such us a tribe child who joins your quests and give you support, 3 fishermans who provides resources, a cat chef who provides food for buffs and special bonus for your quests, and more.

the game is good, if you play single player, because its pointless playing online where the game truly turns into a gathering-stuff-retro-alimentary-circle game and has no storyline

i think the biggest monsters are online only though like the lao and frat

the biggest monster is found in the last fight of the storyline in single player, but there are also another 3 that can only be found online, which are such as hard as the last monster in single player... the game itself has 18 big monsters, including these 4 which are "the hard-core monsters", so to speak

Well he has a point but i played this with a buddy who beat it and it seems alright well at-least the boss arena part

i almost choked when the dogbabies came up, i was drinking mountain dew

Yeah, you don't get to fight that thing for a while...It's Final Fantasy 13 all over again, isn't it? "It gets good 21 hours in." Except replace 21 with, say, 5. Also, the final boss is this ULTRA FRIGGIN HUGE THING THAT IS LIKE 20 TIMES BIGGER THAN THE OTHER HUGE THING.

aaron.c:
you are seriously a complete retard
this is a fantastic game and if you have that little a life just to review games all day then you should at least give a half decent look at the game before you say anything about it
get a real job

This IS his job.

meh, Monster Hunter is a game you either love or hate. It's a game based soley around gameplay, not unlike Demon Souls. I LOVE these games so so very much but it's also not everyone's cup-o-tea.

I love Monster Hunter, but I don't have a Wii so this is so-so. I'm just waiting for Monster Hunter Freedom 3 on PSP. Yes people still play on PSP.

After watching this video, I've realized that Yahtzee doesn't exactly play most of these games in depth. He only played the beginning of the offline single-player part which sucks balls. He didn't (as it seems) beat the offline mode, or move on to online multiplayer mode... But this video does accurately portray the beginning of the story mode.

I swear I think he is a closet anime fan afraid to come out because of ridicule from other people but to each his own. I disagree with most of his reviews but still find him entertaining and funny to watch.

Well here's the learning curve of the game:
It starts out inching slowly up when all you're doing is gathering shit and murdering wildlife.
When you encounter the Great Jaggi, it starts inching up faster.
When you find the Barroth, from there, it shoots up to the f*cking moon!

I picked up this game and it came with a free retro controller.

The game itself is actually quite fun. Fans of Pokemon/Diablo2 will enjoy this one.

Sit back, relax and take it easy. This game is not meant to be fast paced/action game where you kill monsters.

A very disappointing review. Not because what is probably my favorite game series just got called a boring slideshow of illegal immigrant work and bullying bird hatchlings that's not even worth the CD it's stored on, but because it got called a boring slideshow of illegal immigrant work and bullying bird hatchlings that's not even worth the CD it's stored on by someone who's obviously never played it and pretended they have! Some games have tutorials in the beginning, Yahtzee, and this one just happens to be long since Monster Hunter is one of, if not 'the' hardest game series currently in existence, and I assure you from this review, you weren't even out of the tutorial stage before you abruptly gave up on it, then figured you'd make a review without mentioning you only played it for about 30 minutes. *inhales*

Although I know my words only hold so much power, (about as much as a battery that's been used twice, stored in a freezer, used again, covered in acid and eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex with heart problems) for the sake of Monster Hunter's honor I have to stand up and say that Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw has only played as much Monster Hunter as he uses periods in his sentences, which is to say only one at the very end of every review, which accounts for about the same percentage of gameplay in Monster Hunter that gathering resources and beating up tiny things consists of. *inhales*

That being said, what Yahtzee said about Monster Hunter is about as accurate as me saying that he can't affiliate himself with ZeroPunctuation because he eventually stops talking at the end of his reviews, which is of course about as accurate as a blind man with a blunderbuss being spun around while he tries to shoot a gnat on the wall of a house in another country, all the while trying to survive the fact that amidst his being spun around and blindness he's also being mauled by a bear.

Quite frankly, this game was bad even for whatever kind of game it is. Sure, you can be on the edge of your life taking a last stand against a giant snake, but if you're only fighting it for the benefit of some nameless prick who won't even turn around to look at you if you talk to him from behind then there's no weight or sense of purpose to any of it. And that's just on top of all the BASIC design failures such as the complete lack of any kind of targeting mechanic that means you'll wailing at thin air more often than not, or the assigning of the inventory cycling to the face buttons rather than the D-pad which not only disables some attacks for several seconds but is only as it is to make the analogue camera controls stiff and unworkable.

Reading through the first page makes me not want to live on this planet any more. I'll bet most of the people who are agreeing with the review haven't even played a Monster Hunter game to begin with. And while I will admit to having much that same experience with the game when I started (last night), I'll at least give it a shot to get better.

I came in expecting something hard, and hell if I'm not going to reach the hard (read: interesting) parts, negative reviews be damned!

Never cared for this game, and I ain't exactly its target fanbase, but I got the chance to know it and looking back at this review... it's a hackneyed hate piece against Japan put together after 2 or something hours of play, self sabotaging it. Where Yahtzee mentioned the big dinosaur chasing him as he was gathering, is a very early tutorial: after that, battling huge beasts in chaos fights is the norm - there's not even a hint that this is an action game, no mmporg autoattacks fest.

Anyone who thinks this was a worthwhile review that fully covers everything this game has to offer needs to actually play the game for longer than the maybe thirty-five minutes Yahtzee put in.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here