Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Roseveare:
ITT: OMFG I TOTALLY AGREE AND CAN'T FORM MY OWN OPINION TO SAVE MY LIFE ETC ETC.

I don't agree with you. I've played the first Monster Hunter for PS2 and as far as I can tell, nothing changed.

Wow. I feel sorry for anyone who listens to this review. I agreed with it up until it became perfectly clear that Yahtzee never did a single Hunting mission.

Just like the time he tried to play EVE, and never PVP'd.

The grinding in Monster Hunter really isn't that bad. Really. Just about anything you *need* will be picked up on the way to the next big monster.

Neikun:

Roseveare:
ITT: OMFG I TOTALLY AGREE AND CAN'T FORM MY OWN OPINION TO SAVE MY LIFE ETC ETC.

I don't agree with you. I've played the first Monster Hunter for PS2 and as far as I can tell, nothing changed.

The first Monster Hunter was an obtuse, dismal piece of shit. Just like Street Fighter 1, Hitman 1, so on and so forth

I've gotta say, I'm kind of glad that Yahtzee had nothing good to say about this game...it got all kinds of hype, but all of the footage I saw of it looked inCREDibly boring. Talking to merchants, or just dodging a monster and then bashing it with your sword. I remember thinking that, after the customization of Demon's Souls (SO many weapons to choose from, not just sword, axe or axe-sword) and the epic boss fights of Shadow of the Colossus, I'd find it hard to get into this game. Maybe I should see what some of the later bosses look like, but, honestly, is it really worth the grind? You can beat Demon's Souls without getting the super sword of smashing +10, the grind in that game is completely optional, and the boss fights of both Demon's Souls and SotC would be hard to top - plus, you didn't need to bring 100 potions, 50 antidotes, 22 drinks of buffing...you just needed the right spell or two, and possibly some extra arrows. Unless we're talking about Shadow, in which case all of that boring micro-management wasn't at all necessary.

Onyx Oblivion:

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:
I hate the combat. Love the idea.

You still play it?

Not really. The combat doesn't flow. It's horridly archaic with broad, slow swings and the like. But as it is...I'm stopped playing it. I'd love the game more if it didn't control like shit. I like the idea of just going around hunting monsters, but as it stands, I've not better things to play on the Wii. Like a 2nd run through Metroid Prime Trilogy!

Damn...hoping we could do some quests. The controls aren't that bad but it's your call.

LeonLethality:

Aura Guardian:

LeonLethality:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

I completely agree. And now that he has said he doesn't like it most of the escapist now hates it... *sigh*

Isn't always like that with his reviews?

Yes, sadly. Which is why I was really hoping he wouldn't review this.

Ditto. But what can you do? Ignoing it is hard is nearly everyone agrees with him. But whatever. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Especially since I finally completed the full Jhen Mohran armor.

Daystar Clarion:

poiumty:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Me thinks he played it just long enough to not kill himself. Any game that gets "good" after a shitload of time spent collecting MMORPG paraphenalia is not a game worth considering.

That's the thing, you don't even have to play that long. I think her concentrated too much on gather quests rather than the actual monster battles, which are amazing. I don't expect everyone to like it, but he didn't really give it a fair chance. MH is the most fun I've had on my Wii in 2 years.

To be fair, i only saw some gameplay movies. It looked like shit, the combat looked stupid (at least Yahtzee didn't argue about the aiming, it'd be the millionth aiming complaint this game gets), the monsters didn't strike me as anything special and the fact that the game revolves around filling your inventory up with random small-time crap (a mechanic i'll always be against) was enough for me to make an impression.

poiumty:

Daystar Clarion:

Me thinks he played it just long enough to not kill himself. Any game that gets "good" after a shitload of time spent collecting MMORPG paraphenalia is not a game worth considering.

^ This! Emphatically.

Also how does Yahtzee know so much about U.S. culture/pop-culture/happenings/etc? It seems like there is a reference to something U.S. related in every review.

majaman:
Isn't it sad how most of his fans are just like cattle?

That and the fact that they take him seriously as a game reviewer. Because of him people will now be calling this a bad game when it really isn't.

today and last week's reviews really made my day...

So glad i never wasted my money and bought a Wii

good review, the "isn't this just all of the things that make me not want to play wow" part is particularly true to me.

Also, what is up with the anoying banner add thing. I click to watch the video and suddenly it is surrounded by a square of yellow and purple specifically chosen to make my eyes want to bleed. It was something about an MMO, but I couldn't really care, I was trying to revert my eyes and actually watch the review. Escapist staff, if you are reading this, change it.

Daystar Clarion:

sigh, i know... but the points he did make were valid to an extent. i was really hoping that he'd had enough of Wii games, but no, he went straight for MH... ah well, i don't mind, i'm still going to continue loving it and killing that big sea monster that scared Yahtzee. shame about the grindy start quests.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Excellent review of a game that sounds impossibly bad. I might be returning to World of Warcraft, but I'm not doing it for the fetch quests, the resource gathering, the assignments to kill X amount of monster Y for local idiotic & stationary potentate Z or the arbitrary and keyboard-snapping-in-frustration drop rates. And Monster Hunter Tri sounds like a big pile of that held together with shit.

the games not that, its just got about 3 hours worth of that 'shit' on its face worn as a mask... shame is, that shit is exactly as Yahtzee described, and so people aren't willing to play such a brilliant game. to be honest, i can't blame you, if it takes a game too long to get good, then its within you're right to stop playing. Though i can't see what other reason you find for entering world of war-craft.

poiumty:

Daystar Clarion:

poiumty:

Daystar Clarion:

That's the thing, you don't even have to play that long. I think her concentrated too much on gather quests rather than the actual monster battles, which are amazing. I don't expect everyone to like it, but he didn't really give it a fair chance. MH is the most fun I've had on my Wii in 2 years.

To be fair, i only saw some gameplay movies. It looked like shit, the combat looked stupid (at least Yahtzee didn't argue about the aiming, it'd be the millionth aiming complaint this game gets), the monsters didn't strike me as anything special and the fact that the game revolves around picking up random small-time crap (a mechanic i'll always be against) was enough for me to make an impression.

No. Nononono. The game does not revolve around that. The game is about killing a really tough monster, so you can make a hat out of it, so you can go kill something else and make a hat out of that. The combat is all about precision and timing. I swear, I'll strangle the next person who starts playing, grabs a Greatsword, and then ragequits because it handles *exactly like a sword twice your size would*

Karathos:

Or ITT: People posting because they agree? Fancy that idea.

I kinda get the feeling most of the people who agree have, in fact, not played the game and indeed may not even have played a single monster hunter game at all and therefore don't actually know enough to actually have a valid opinion on the game.

Again, it comes down to my earlier post that points out Yahtzee hates most games, as a comedy critique he has to, or he wouldn't be very funny. Thus using most of his "critiques" to form any sort of opinion on a game is a fool's folly at best.

Yes, the game is grindy and expects you to gather a lot of stuff. However should you actually play farther than the 1 Star quests Yahtzee did you find that a lot of the things you need to kill tend to be giant monsters that can and do murder your face if you make a mistake or generally suck at noticing tells for attacks. Play online and get to Hunter Rank 31 plus and you start fighting monsters that think Nintendo Hard is a bitch difficulty for bitches.

But of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, just please look up all the facts before you do eh?

I rather like that he focused on the gather bit of this game, because that's what you'll spend all of your time doing. All of it. The fact that you'll fight big monsters just to gather more stuff doesn't mean you're gathering less. Infact it gets even more tedious, being as how those giant monsters you need to kill for your next upgrade stand a very fair chance of killing you.

I hate Monster Hunter. I played it for so long with my friends, but only because they wanted me to. When Monster Hunter Tri came out and they all moved on I got to say "Oh no! The only Wii in the house belongs to my roommates... well, I guess I won't get to play. Shucks."

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:

Aura Guardian:

Onyx Oblivion:
I hate the combat. Love the idea.

You still play it?

Not really. The combat doesn't flow. It's horridly archaic with broad, slow swings and the like. But as it is...I'm stopped playing it. I'd love the game more if it didn't control like shit. I like the idea of just going around hunting monsters, but as it stands, I've not better things to play on the Wii. Like a 2nd run through Metroid Prime Trilogy!

Damn...hoping we could do some quests. The controls aren't that bad but it's your call.

The controls are fine. It's the mechanics of the fighting that annoy me. I had some fun in the big monster fights, but the fact still remains that the combat is clunky. I might play it again during a the summer game lull.

Nothing else on the Wii I want now. I'm not a Mario fan, so Galaxy 2 isn't even a consideration.

Except...I'm getting S&P: SS and Other M...

Great as always , but still waiting for Alan wake or red dead redmeption review :L

I usually don't respond to Yahtzee's videos, since I figure that most people are smart enough not to take the advice of any critic or reviewer on something that looks interesting to them without at least a rental on their own or not, especially about a game like this, but really. Please don't just say 'oh, he says it's bad, it must be.' That hurts the critical thinking part of my brain. Whether you end up liking the game or not, if you think you might, you should at least try it on your own without mindlessly following the lead of anyone - it might be for you.

Also, MHT has a very large online and multiplayer contingent, and one of the things Yahtzee's said before is that he doesn't like playing online or with anyone. So this game might not be the game for him.

ivarsa15:
Good review as always, I don't either understand japanese games...

except he made no mention of the combat system, and made it glaringly obvious that he did not play longer than about 15 minutes into the game. Yahtzee does not review games, he makes fun of things he hears about them. go do your own research into games and stop listening to yahtzee.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Excellent review of a game that sounds impossibly bad. I might be returning to World of Warcraft, but I'm not doing it for the fetch quests, the resource gathering, the assignments to kill X amount of monster Y for local idiotic & stationary potentate Z or the arbitrary and keyboard-snapping-in-frustration drop rates. And Monster Hunter Tri sounds like a big pile of that held together with shit.

go look up a gameplay video. oh wait here i found one for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGl1f4PKRok those are other players by the way.

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:
I bought a Monster Hunter game once and I can relate to a lot of what you say, particularly the later part of the review. And why the hell would anyone think it was a good idea on the Wii? Surely a game involving enormous monsters and cinematic fights should be nowhere near a processor that minute...

because the wii has outsold every other console and capcom wanted to see if this game had potential on something other than a handheld.

ForgottenPr0digy:
Hooray another shitty game for the wii

I don't get it why do Japanese people like this sort of grind fest with no storyline(final fantasy and so many other JRPGs are grind fest with a storyline)

people like you seem to have forgotten that games are supposed to be fun, and this is a fun game. killing the monsters is made fun. you "grind" (hardly worth the term) to unlock fights with bigger and cooler monsters. because killing them is fun.

I've been wondering what Yathzee would say about the MH games since Freedom 2 first released, and my prediction was spot on.
He played the first 5 hours and completely missed the point.

The only thing right about this review is the game doesn't belong on the Wii and never did due to loading times and graphical limitations.(If you've played Freedom Unite you'll understand)

Aura Guardian:
Ditto. But what can you do? Ignoing it is hard is nearly everyone agrees with him. But whatever. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Especially since I finally completed the full Jhen Mohran armor.

Nice, I'm still sticking with my Qurupecco armour, I like the abilities.

And yeah but as I have said before people who would have just passed this game with no opinion on it will now just say it is a bad game without giving it a chance. Oh well, I will not let it ruin my MH experience.

Sounds like Yahtzee hates this game almost as much as Too Human. Not terribly surprising all things considered.

BlueInkAlchemist:

tbh i dont think that was a fair reveiw it seems like he only played the first few missions ie the tuturial which really doesnt get into the swing of things.

Well the Monster Hunter games from my exp from the PSP version are made exclusively for team playing...i guess thats why they are so popular in japan...its like everybody has a psp there isnt it o.O

Its an endless grind for items and upgrades but if u dont have a team you still cant rly do much.....

I really hate when people say "OMG YOU SHEEP YOU'RE JUST AGREEING WITH YAHTZEE FORM YOUR OWN OPINION!" Look, I don't have unlimited disposable income, I can't play every game in the world and then judge what's good for myself, I have to take other people's word. That said, Yahtzee says himself that he's a video game CRITIC, so of course he's going to find everything that's wrong with it and gloss over any good points.

LeonLethality:

Aura Guardian:

Nice, I'm still sticking with my Qurupecco armour, I like the abilities.

And yeah but as I have said before people who would have just passed this game with no opinion on it will now just say it is a bad game without giving it a chance. Oh well, I will not let it ruin my MH experience.

Oh hell yea. I love the Qurupecco Armor. Increase recovery. Good fire res. And it looks awesome. It's my main armor(That and its def is higher then Jhen)

He only played the tutorial part of the game... figures.

It does take about 4 hours to get to any of the 'big' monsters, but the entire game is about fighting with things you created yourself from other things you earned. Then you spend the next 76 hours fighting huge firebreathing dragons and underwater snakelizard things.

Those 2-4 hours you spend at the beginning, going from a puny naked little man to a fully equipped dragonslayer is what makes it so spectacular.

After you finish the tutorial part, you get a farm which creates 90% of the materials you don't get by fighting the big monsters, except for ore, but you never need that much and they're easy enough to mine while looking around for a big monster.

If you go online, you can fight the big monsters within 15 minutes of starting up the game.

Again, those 'gathering' quests are only the tutorial, to get you familiar with the world and get yourself revved up for your first big encounters. After that, you NEVER have to go gathering for crap again if you don't want to because you make most of your armor from dragon bits.

In fact you don't even need to do all those gathering quests at the start, you only need to do 3 of them before you are allowed to continue, and this only takes about 30 minutes at most.

PratzStrike:
I usually don't respond to Yahtzee's videos, since I figure that most people are smart enough not to take the advice of any critic or reviewer on something that looks interesting to them without at least a rental on their own or not, especially about a game like this, but really. Please don't just say 'oh, he says it's bad, it must be.' That hurts the critical thinking part of my brain. Whether you end up liking the game or not, if you think you might, you should at least try it on your own without mindlessly following the lead of anyone - it might be for you.

Also, MHT has a very large online and multiplayer contingent, and one of the things Yahtzee's said before is that he doesn't like playing online or with anyone. So this game might not be the game for him.

It's actually "yahztee says it's bad and it's on the wii" which is why I presume it's going to be a bad game.
As someone said, compared to Shadow of the Colossus or other open world games (Morrowind), it's going to just be inferior taking an educated guess.

LeonLethality:

majaman:

That and the fact that they take him seriously as a game reviewer. Because of him people will now be calling this a bad game when it really isn't.

I disagree with your opinion and dismiss all fans of this game as mindless cattle merely content with subpar gameplay mechanics and terrible controls.

Just kidding. I don't own a wii. You sound ridiculously smug and pompous though and that's a poor way to sell a game.

This is the proper way to post in a Yahtzee thread:

nhgifnd:
He only played the tutorial part of the game... figures.

It does take about 4 hours to get to any of the 'big' monsters, but the entire game is about fighting with things you created yourself from other things you earned. Then you spend the next 76 hours fighting huge firebreathing dragons and underwater snakelizard things.

Those 2-4 hours you spend at the beginning, going from a puny naked little man to a fully equipped dragonslayer is what makes it so spectacular.

After you finish the tutorial part, you get a farm which creates 90% of the materials you don't get by fighting the big monsters, except for ore, but you never need that much and they're easy enough to mine while looking around for a big monster.

If you go online, you can fight the big monsters within 15 minutes of starting up the game.

Again, those 'gathering' quests are only the tutorial, to get you familiar with the world and get yourself revved up for your first big encounters. After that, you NEVER have to go gathering for crap again if you don't want to because you make most of your armor from dragon bits.

In fact you don't even need to do all those gathering quests at the start, you only need to do 3 of them before you are allowed to continue, and this only takes about 30 minutes at most.

Actually explaining in detail what mistakes Yahtzee's review has is much better than mindlessly spewing "OMG STUPID YAHTZEE SHEEPLE"

Funny review as always. I liked the Dogbaby part. xD

Does the Wii really have a controller like that though? o.o

Wait... This wasn't Red Dead Redemption.....

*balleted*

everyone always hopes that the next game the wii brings out will be good and then we find it to be just as shit as the rest....

so if we all get together and start cheering that we want a shit wii game.....do you think they will make a great one just to spite us??

I realize there's a pretty low chance of Yahtzee actually reading this, but I'll address the VN issue he brought up. Think of it as a really fancy book and not a game. You're 'playing' for the story, which all the other elements exist to support.

MH Tri was my first buy of the MH series, and i absolutely love it. The early quests are gathering humdrum, true, but if you actually speak to the NPC's in the village you learn its to make repairs after a series of earthquakes, as shown in the cinematic when you start the game.

Once you've done those, you get to the monster hunting. Finding a monster, chasing it across zones, fighting it, killing it and carving it, or trapping it. You can break some of their parts, or even cut them off completely. It's a simple formula made complicated by each monster behaving completely differently from the last. One minute you're fighting a giant frilled dinosaur, the next you're in some dank cave fighting off some disgusting leech/lizard hybrid. There's exclusive monsters you'll only see online.

Also those trashing it because its on the wii: It was originally intended for the PS3, but due to the costs of production, it was moved to the wii. And it is fine for it. Loading times are a few moments, never really long enough to annoy. It's perfectly playable with the Wiimote and 'chuk, or the Classic Controller. If you still aren't going to give it a chance, then so be it. It's your choice, and i respect that. But just because Yahtzee doesnt like it, doesnt give you a free pass to write it off also, without having formed you own opinion from your own experience of it.

snowplow:

LeonLethality:

majaman:

I disagree with your opinion and dismiss all fans of this game as mindless cattle merely content with subpar gameplay mechanics and terrible controls.

Just kidding. I don't own a wii. You sound ridiculously smug and pompous though and that's a poor way to sell a game.

Being dissapointed that people don't form their own opinions on something is being smug? This is news to me.

Never quite got Monster Hunter. Treid it once. It was possibly one of the worst games i have ever played and i've played a LOT of bad games (i own shaq-fu for christs sake).

I guess the japanophile backlash will be fun to watch for this collosal grind ridden peice of shit. Perhaps that's worth MH existing in the first place. MH is like tentacle porn, makes no sense outside japan and i don't think i want it to.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here