The Escapist Presents: Epic Games - UDK

Epic Games - UDK

Mark Rein, VP of Epic Games, talks to us about Unreal Development Kit - a free version of Epic's Unreal 3 engine available to all up and coming video game makers.

Watch Video

It's so great they decided to launch UDK. I like it a lot more than Unity.

I have messed around with it for the past couple months. I have no computer science background, or anything remotely game design and the tools were fairly easy to pick up and learn in terms of creating simple things. I obviously haven't made anything all that great, but I was able in the first 5-6 hours or so created a maze that people could walk through. I hope to go learn game design after I get a college degree and this is a great way to tide me over until then.

Awesome and now I need to learn how to code.

Rigs83:
Awesome and now I need to learn how to code.

Same, drat that whole discipline thing...

CezarIgnat:
It's so great they decided to launch UDK. I like it a lot more than Unity.

Unity has what UDK doesn't have. As they explained, maybe in the future they'll be able to compile applications into something other than PC. Unity already has this kind of support, to an extent of course.
Unity is also more practical to some, as it has a novel way of compressing and extracting java code, which makes it 20 times faster than average java. So if you are familiar with java, Unity is spectacular.
Unity also has some thirdparty software integrated, which would, by the way, cost in the thousands to lease.

However, Unity seems to not be as professional as UDK might be. There are often petite indie games released in Unity. With the exception of Interstellar Marines of course.

__
I am definitely going to try this engine out.

Nincompoop:
Unity has what UDK doesn't have. As they explained, maybe in the future they'll be able to compile applications into something other than PC. Unity already has this kind of support, to an extent of course.
Unity is also more practical to some, as it has a novel way of compressing and extracting java code, which makes it 20 times faster than average java. So if you are familiar with java, Unity is spectacular.
Unity also has some thirdparty software integrated, which would, by the way, cost in the thousands to lease.

However, Unity seems to not be as professional as UDK might be. There are often petite indie games released in Unity. With the exception of Interstellar Marines of course.

__

UDK is pretty slick. True, Unity does have some of the support UDK doesn't currently have, but it's interesting to hear Epic's looking at putting that in as well. I wonder how long that'll take?

What's nice about UDK is that it's practically the same thing as the most commonly leased engine for AAA developers. So you guys thinking to learn to make a game on UDK? Good plan.

Hey, little practice never hurts. Of course. having some background in coding and such would work, but from what I've heard, some people who aren't apt in it found it enjoyable and 'easy' to work with.

Andraste:

Nincompoop:

__

UDK is pretty slick. True, Unity does have some of the support UDK doesn't currently have, but it's interesting to hear Epic's looking at putting that in as well. I wonder how long that'll take?

What's nice about UDK is that it's practically the same thing as the most commonly leased engine for AAA developers. So you guys thinking to learn to make a game on UDK? Good plan.

Thanks.

Yeah, I really like the thought behind projects like this. Trying to help the 'indie' side of game development.

Wow now it seems that with this and other game maker programs the tools are there to forget all about coding but instead just focus on the content of the game testing and implementing graphics, sounds, and sprite and terrain interactions.

This has a lot of potential. Combined with Steam or some other manner of digital distribution, this could result in a large influx of new PC games.

Of course, if that happens, at least a part of them (if not more) will be complete garbage. Still, considering the current state of the PC gaming market, it is worth to remain optimistic.

Well I just downloaded source SDK, but this sounds pretty good. I haven't tried either so how good is Source? Where can I get UDK?

very cool, its always nice when devs give the tools to users to make new stuff

Tom Phoenix:
This has a lot of potential. Combined with Steam or some other manner of digital distribution, this could result in a large influx of new PC games.

Of course, if that happens, at least a part of them (if not more) will be complete garbage. Still, considering the current state of the PC gaming market, it is worth to remain optimistic.

By the way, the last update added steam support.
Now they just have to put in a .blend importer, and its the most awesome engine out there.

I'd love to see more like this. Maybe you could do one on Runic games. I say them just because everything but their naming schemes were very elegant in Torchlight.

Straying Bullet:
Hey, little practice never hurts. Of course. having some background in coding and such would work, but from what I've heard, some people who aren't apt in it found it enjoyable and 'easy' to work with.

Seems like I'm the only utterly confused retard when it comes to it's interface. Or making anything in particular. Maybe I got too used to the simplicity of Source SDK.

Retardinator:

Straying Bullet:

Seems like I'm the only utterly confused retard when it comes to it's interface. Or making anything in particular. Maybe I got too used to the simplicity of Source SDK.

Source SDK is no walk in the park. Adding custom models is about the biggest pain in the ass I've ever had the displeasure of failing so hard at. It's just barely worse than dealing with Faceposer. Add to that the rather spotty documentation, and you can see why UDK is potentially easier to deal with once you learn the interface. Like any new program, it just takes time.

Learning this as part of my games course in September, loved UnrealEd and cannot wait to use UDK!

I know a couple of people who have this and the things they can do with it are awesome.

Virtual_Dom:
Well I just downloaded source SDK, but this sounds pretty good. I haven't tried either so how good is Source? Where can I get UDK?

If you can't even bother to do a basic google search to find out where you can get UDK, why do you suppose you'll be able to get far anything at all? Rarely if every will ANYONE hold your hand during the learning process, if you can't even find the first step by yourself, that ain't a good sign.

Tenmar:
Wow now it seems that with this and other game maker programs the tools are there to forget all about coding but instead just focus on the content of the game testing and implementing graphics, sounds, and sprite and terrain interactions.

That was the original idea when they created the UE3 tools, they always said it, they wanted to make an amazing engine that's pretty easy to use and you could do your own AAA games with it.

Right now I don't have the patience nor the motives to try it out, but I have the limited edition of UT3 wich came in a black luchbox and it came with a DVD basically explaining how to mod the game, I think it's a long tutorial (I think the box said 24 hours).

I tried it out, but at that time I had my graphics card busted out and I was using a crappy card, so I couldn't test on bigger maps. But if what that tutorial explains in the fisrt couple of hours hold up to the end of the tutorial, then it's fairly easy to understand and use the tools.

Maybe I'll be using that until I get serious in studying to code things. =)

I would absolutely love to have a go with this, too bad my comp really isn't up to it.

Good old Epic.

Galaxy613:

Virtual_Dom:

If you can't even bother to do a basic google search to find out where you can get UDK, why do you suppose you'll be able to get far anything at all? Rarely if every will ANYONE hold your hand during the learning process, if you can't even find the first step by yourself, that ain't a good sign.

Oh right I forgot about google. Thnaks for the...tough love

whoa, so cool
and if people do start being able to bring stuff to the console, the indie game market could potentially be bigger

I used to skin a lot for UT2k4 in the old version, and did a rifle mod for UT3.
I'm no coder, at all, but I found it easier than I thought to work with after I sat down with it for a while to learn.

Looks cool.
Can't wait to try it!

That's awfully nice of Unreal to do this, although I forsee alot of junk entering the PC market...

as soon as i get a new computer (which will be as soon an i find employment) i'm gonna tear that engine a new one. I only wonder if we can use it to create character sprites with it, or am i going to have to use another program to make the sprites. does anybody know? also does anybody know a good tutorial site over the web i can use to learn code?

I think I will try to learn this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here