Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Prince of Persia

This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.

Watch Video

It's good enough for me if it didn't suck.

I'm still wondering about the new game, though...

As one of the few fans of both the SoT Trilogy and PoP 2008, I'm still on the fence with the new game...Especially since I actually kind of like 2008 more than the SoT Trilogy.

Well, it was as I expected...and, Aladdin...nothing wrong with that!

Sweet. Now to buy the tickets.

Hmm. I admit I was expecting it to suck ass. Might check it out, for curiosity's sake.
Oh, and I liked the end of lost. Yup.

You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.

I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

The bit about everyone having British accents, though, IS truly annoying.

Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.

Hmm... I actually really wanna see this film again... For a while I thought it would be crap.

Not to sound like an angry fanboy but, the lost ending was good... Your account of it sounds like someone who didn't actually watch it but instead read the plot synopsis on wikipedia or something.

Yeah, the LOST ending was bullshit.

Anyway, i wanna see this movie, probably just to show Hollywood that there are people willing to pay for these movies. Just to show some support.

Resident Evil: Degeneration (The recent CGI one) was pretty good though.

well in the games everyone had a brit no wait POSH BRIT accent theres a differnce you know so realy the fact everyone wasn't realy persian is a nod to the video games.

EnigmaHarper:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

It's about authenticity.
Some (silly) people might claim is has something to do with racism, but really: It's about authenticity.
Ancient Persia would have been populated by Persians, so have a Persian Cast makes it more believable. You can't say Slumdog Millionaire would have been nearly as good is the cast was all Asian. Or that any movie portraying the Yakuza as African guys would be believable. The point of a movie is to tell a story, and you grip people into a story with atmosphere. The proper ethnicity really helps that atmosphere.

It's not a deal breaker, mind you (Not for the sane, or people who have any inkling of an imagination), but it really does help the immersion of the tale unfolding on the big screen in front of you.

The ban on whitewashing explained:

http://humblecomics.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry100524-195255

I disagree, I really doubt they have that cast because those were the best actors ever. I think those were the best actors who the biggest audience (Caucasian Americans) could identify with and that would draw the biggest numbers in(aka Jake Gyllenhal fan girls). But I'm not going to NOT see it for that reason alone. It looks pretty entertaining.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, I liked Mortal Kombat and the first Resident Evil movie. But none of the others :p

Also also, I kinda liked the lost ending, to a point, but I totally agree that it didn't answer any questions and it made all the cool stuff in the series not matter.

I am honestly proud, after it is all said and done, that I have not watched ONE MINUTE of Lost. Seriously, that has got to be one of the biggest slaps in the face of all time.

Anyway, glad to see PoP worked out decently. I probably wont end up seeing it. I am not exactly too enthused about it. On a side note, I saw HTTYD for a 4 time this week xD!

I think this is problys the best review ive seen on pop...however i feel the movie wasent so great tbh i found it boring. But its porblys better than most of games into movies or other ways around.

(Except for spiderman 2).

Onyx Oblivion:
It's good enough for me if it didn't suck.

I'm still wondering about the new game, though...

As one of the few fans of both the SoT Trilogy and PoP 2008, I'm still on the fence with the new game...Especially since I actually kind of like 2008 more than the SoT Trilogy.

I say rent it, its not worth buying, but it is worth playing. The combat is less in depth than the last two SoT Trilogy games, and actually feels more God of Warish. And you only get to use one weapon at a time. I never played PoP 2008.

OT: Glad to see it doesn't suck, I might go see it now.

Humbly requesting a desktop wallpaper of that badass mario / clooney picture halfway through.

please

Yay!!! A good Game Movie, or just an all around good movie that's fun to watch. Can you really ask for much more? Either I'm happy and will be seeing it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Also the whole the "whitewashing" thing, how come the people who complain about it the most (loudest) seem to sound more racist the what their complaining about? I don't mean MovieBob, I mean the European descent guy I have to listen to at work so he can appear open minded or culturally enlighten? Is it me? Am I just not seeing/getting it?

xitel:
You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.

^This.

We have actors that where good for the roles regardless of ethnicity. And it was a good movie, so shut up.

Lost ended?
Yeah right....
Soon you'll probably see some lame commercial where every one is back on the island again (again).
I never watched Lost but I do hate series or movies that have a cop-out ending.

Great review as always but I don't think I'd go see it.
It looks like a generic summer-blockbuster and I'm really tired of those.

Methinks moviebob is somewhat miffed about the ending of Lost...

Well, this whole review was a bit anticlimactic.

See what I did there?

...I don't. Okay, still, I plan on seeing this movie. Not this week, next week, when I get my allowance. Just because I liked the trailer and it probably won't suck.

Good and informative review MovieBob. I think if this is genuinely the first good video game movie then surely we should roll out the red carpet for the tsunami that is to follow of more GOOD video game movies? Ok, maybe I'm being overly optamistic but at least this one's aparently good.
As a fan of POP: Sands of Time (only the first game as I'm about a generation behind with my video gaming) as long as the film lives up to that, I'm happy. And, I agree with everyone else, there's nownt wrong with Aladdin.

Umm Bob. No criticsms (couldnt care less about the whole whitewashing nonsense)

Firstly: The middle east like India IS part of Asia. Its not a seperate continent.

Secondly, Yeah Ben Kingsley can pull off the whole thing by being half Indian, since India is an Aryo-dravidian civilization. I.e Immigrants from the middle east, mainly what you would now call Iranians, settled in the Indian Sub continent a few thousand years ago. Hence the idea of the linguistic category: Aryan. i.e Iran which means land of the Aryans.

Just saying.

Not much of a Prince of Persia fan I guess, are you MovieBob?

Me neither, but then again, I've never played the games. I've been meaning to ever since Yahtzee did that Prince of Persia retrospective video, since I know all three games of the "main" 3D series are available on the GameCube, but I haven't found them at the retailers I go to.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'll probably go see this movie now.

Good? I thought the film was terrible. I think that even Doom was a better video game movie than this.

Predictable, uninteresting, unoriginal, and just generally bad is how I'd describe it. Just my opinion, but I'm really surprised at how well some people are receiving it.

About the whole India thing. As I remember SoT, India was the place the were invading in the intro and the setting of the game....so yeah.

I can explain the whole "British" accent type of thing. When Arabs/Persians who're accustomed to speaking their native language speak English, it sounds remotely like a British accent. But Hollywood seems to only know how to replicate that accent best by speaking in British-ish accent outright, which is understandable. They could've just put Iranian/Middle Eastern actors though... but yeah.

Good movie, it wasn't that bad. It's a decent popcorn flick, and personally I don't get why he hates the ending. Yes, you can see the ending coming from the first 20-30 minutes of the movie, but it wasn't bad or anything.

That last thing was I'd assume the ending to lost, and all I can say is it sounded a lot like yugioh.

Probably going to avoid it, or see it when it comes to the dollar theater... Whatever. I wasn't impressed by the concept, only because POP:SOT was already a really cinematic, story and character driven game. Honestly, take out the repetitive battles, exploration, and having to redo particularly difficult rooms, you've already got like, 4 hours worth of game at most, so really it's not asking too much of Hollywood to try and make that leap.

Not trying to sound pessimistic, but I'm just not all that impressed by the concept... Whatever. Might see it.

Huh, so it doesn't suck? I may just mosey on down to the cinema and take a look. Heck, I might even drag the missus along with me and force her to endure the damn thing for my sadistic pleasure...

As for the Lost, I'm in the "Don't really care" camp here. I tried to watch the show when the first season started airing and by the time the 4th or 5th episode rolled around, I was bored out of my mind. Once every year after that, I'd give the show another go and endure about two episodes, finally giving up on trying to figure out what was going on and who these people were. The plot seemed to get more and more convoluted without actually moving anywhere and the entire thing was a writing clusterfuck as far as I could ascertain.

The only thing I have trouble wrapping my mind around is that the people who wrote Lost also seem to be in charge of Fringe, which is a pretty damn good show...

I am so glad I never got into Lost. That sounds like a stupid ending for a show where half of the fun of watching it is the Wild Mass Guessing you and your friends get into while watching it.

Oh thank GOD it didn't suck, this could be the first of a wave of decent videogame movies!

It could be the Spiderman of video game movies! You know, the one that sets the genre rolling.

I'm just posting here to say how pissed off I also was at the ending of Lost.

It was such a let down.

Also, you apologised for mixing up the flags, then used the phrase "British Accent" which is a rather touchy subject ;D

xitel:

You don't think the fact that Hollywood can't or won't find any good middle eastern actors is very damning? I think it goes back to Hollywood's bullshit assumptions that minorities can identify with white people but white people can't identify with a minorities. That's why Barbershop is a "black movie" but any John Hughes movie isn't a "white movie."

Why are so many Hollywood movies criticizing the war in Iraq now? It might have done some good six or seven years ago.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here