Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

DanielPowell33:

Onyx Oblivion:
It's good enough for me if it didn't suck.

I'm still wondering about the new game, though...

As one of the few fans of both the SoT Trilogy and PoP 2008, I'm still on the fence with the new game...Especially since I actually kind of like 2008 more than the SoT Trilogy.

I say rent it, its not worth buying, but it is worth playing. The combat is less in depth than the last two SoT Trilogy games, and actually feels more God of Warish. And you only get to use one weapon at a time. I never played PoP 2008.

OT: Glad to see it doesn't suck, I might go see it now.

Only single weapon combat? How DARE THEY!

Pseudonym2:

xitel:
You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.

You don't think the fact that Hollywood can't or won't find any good middle eastern actors is very damning? I think it goes back to Hollywood's bullshit assumptions that minorities can identify with white people but white people can't identify with a minorities people. That's why Barbershop is a "black movie" but any john Hughes movie isn't a "white movie."

Why are so many Hollywood movies criticizing the war in Iraq now? It might have done some good six or seven years ago.

I think its more like "hey, Jake Gyllenhaal is a big-name actor with an athletic physique who has the good fortune of being a good actor, why don't we give him the lead role?".

But anyways on to the review. I have already seen Prince of Persia, so i'm a bit confused over Bob's statement that the ending will leave some people angry. I mean seriously, it was a good ending, a simple time-travel twist that doesn't overly-complicate a otherwise good story.

Mildly good isn't enough for the VG movies blast off. It must be of gargantuan excellency to put credit in the industry.

Also, in the end, it is really based on the old Holywood visions of middle east. Incidentally a game used this vision and the producers caught it.

UtopiaV1:
I think you stuck your neck out there for no reason, don't be suprised if someone bites you for it. Don't forget Judaism is a religion, not an ethnicity.

JUDAISM is a religion. However, the term used was "The Jewish Peoples," which much of anthropology classifies as a "race" - if not also an "ethnicity" - originating in the Middle East (note that the map depicts a period and area of the ancient Middle East, not the modern state of Israel) and subsequently migrating throughout the rest of the world; though one recognizes that this is one of those areas where the actual "split" between seperate cultures and seperate races is increasingly nebulous.

Primarily, it's in there because I found it interesting that Gyllenhaal is recieving the lion's share of grief over the film's casting of "white" actors in Middle Eastern and/or Persian roles, when in the not-too-distant past he wouldn't have been considered "white" to begin with (neither would any of the main cast except for Gemma Arterton, really.)

FUCK THAT! The ending of Lost was great. Unless you missed the point. They weren't able to address all the issues because of ABC's ridiculous time restrictions. More answers are coming on the DVD set

As a fan of action movies, I liked it (I've already seen it). And as a fan of the Prince of Persia franchise, I also liked it. Win-win for me.

I really liked it and I thought the prince of the movie matched the prince of the game so I don't really care if it's historically accurate or whatever. I'd figure the people wanting realism would be more pissed of with the whole rewinding time thing. (Also I thought the original Persians were Caucasian anyway, can't remember where I heard that)

SUSPEND YOUR DISBELIEF.

I thought it was lots of fun because the free-running scenes were better than anything Bourne ever did and the sword fighting was better than... lots of things.

Also I heard loads of people saying it's like an analogy for the real middle east with "weapons... that don't turn out to be there... and a war justified on their presence" but frankly I didn't feel that coming through at all.

But yeah, I felt they made a great movie without tarnishing the name of my favourite video game plot ever.
THAT SAID the thing about "destiny" at the beginning and end. Anyone else think it was a shittier version of the "time is an ocean in a storm" speech from the game?

Also "Moviebob" IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME, wtf is wrong with the ending? I fucking loved it. It had a hint of cheese, balanced out with awesome seasoned on top and it fit with the plot.

Pseudonym2:

xitel:
You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.

You don't think the fact that Hollywood can't or won't find any good middle eastern actors is very damning? I think it goes back to Hollywood's bullshit assumptions that minorities can identify with white people but white people can't identify with a minorities people. That's why Barbershop is a "black movie" but any john Hughes movie isn't a "white movie."

Why are so many Hollywood movies criticizing the war in Iraq now? It might have done some good six or seven years ago.

I think people are simply looking to pick a fight where there isn't one when it comes to accusations of "whitewashing". It's sort of like saying The Rock wasn't Egyptian, yet he played "The Scorpian King" not once, but twice, and the DVD of the movie actually went so far as to say that unlike the generic "Prince Of Persia" this was loosely (very loosely based) on a real person.... showing a mace with the Scorpian Emblem to point to there being a tribal king who used that symbol somewhere down there at some time... well you get the point.

Also when it comes to swapping other ethnicities it's not viewed as any big deal, I mean when you have a Korean guy playing a Japanese guy, when those two nations/cultures arguably hate each other, why does nobody make a big deal about that? (referring to "Ninja Assasin").

In general I think both politics, and race contreversy, should more or less stay out of fantasy films, video games, and similar things. I am simply put tired of it.

To put things into perspective, when you look at the artwork for the video game, the guy they picked looks pretty close to the picture. Someone could have claimed years ago that the protaganist in "Prince Of Persia" doesn't seem Persian enough, but nobody did until they made a movie.

Furthermore, I can't think of any decent Arabic actors that could have pulled off the character. Heck, I can't think of any decent Arabic actors at all off the top of my head. However to be honest, I don't think that itself is a racial issue either, as much as the fact that you don't see that many ethnic Arabs going into acting (and it takes a lot to succeed in that business), just like how people complain "why aren't there more Black super heroes" yet at the same time I can't think of many black guys who write comic books either.

See, for an ethnicity to become really represented in something that is as competitive as most "artistic" businesses like movies, or comics, you need for a lot of them to get involved and pull ahead in the competitive shark tank that affects everyone involved (and it's about as impartial as you can get). You see a decent number of Asian characters in comics and Asian actors in movies, but then again there are decent numbers of them working in both industries and have been for a while, as time went on there were successes and it changed the industry. Heck you see "Hong Kong Action Cinema" and "Anime" having an influance on Western film making (and vice versa), and the same thing with comics with western and eastern comics being interwoven.

I guess what I'm saying is that if your an Ethnic Arab and something like this bothers you, then maybe you might consider trying for a career on stage? Your not guaranteed to succeed, but if enough people do it, your going to see enough ethnic talent where if someone is going to do an Arabian Nights movie, they'll have a choice of properly ethnic people to perform the roles.

Such are my thoughts at any rate, to me this seems like bellyaching for the sake of bellyaching.

Maybe he can actually do it, but I'd challenge a massive film critic like Moviebob to pick a properly ethnic actor who he thinks could have pulled off this role as well as the guy they chose... considering the source material, and what the character is supposed to look like. Honestly, for all the whining, I don't think the hypothetical guy who should have gotten this role actually exists.

MovieBob:

I really am sorry about that. For what it's worth, if you stop the player at about 4:30 you can get basically everything about the movie without having to hear the "Lost" jokes ;)

Cool, IŽll do that.
Also, thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

i personally cant give this movie the title "first good movie based on a game" for the fact that prince of persia the sands of time movie and game are two completely different stories. the game happens all in one castle. everyone minus the male and female lead and villain are "sand zombies" and the mission is to stab the dagger into the giant hourglass containing the sands of time again to undo all this hell. so even if the movie is good or not it only has the name and the concept of a dagger that can rewind time relating the game and movie

Good review, but dammit, why does everyone forget Hitman when talking about video game movies? Hitman wasn't bad. Not the greatest movie, obviously, but it wasn't crap.

I don't understand how people could rag on the ending and ALSO enjoy the Sands of Time ending. They're essentially the same thing. Also, the voices in the game are ALSO British. The original Prince is voiced by a white guy from Ohio.

This video is the final boss and ending to the first PoP:Sands of Time game. Now, voice your opinions about the ending and their British-ish accents. They're staying true to the game, which is very important for fan service and for consistency.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blFVK1u0vnA

Ben Kingsley LOOKS like the Vizier. Jake Gylenhaal LOOKS like the Prince (and he's a good enough actor to carry the part). Please, try to argue against that, he's a dead-fucking-ringer for Dastan, especially from the Warrior Within box art.

Dude, the flag thing. Its really no biggie.

I half expected the movie to be decent, and I can't help but share your indiference.
I've never seen any of these Arabian movies you talk about, but after all the crappy video game movies, I woulda though a good one would be more momentous.

Offtopic - The Lost ending thing, I really agree that they focused too much on the alternate timeline ending.
Its like, they spent 6 years building up this great mythology and back story, but it got shafted by a last season side story.
Needless to say, I enjoyed the ride, but the ending was kind of unsatisfying.

I can't wait to see this, and sorry for getting off topic, but I think a Final Fantasy movie would go over really well. Am I the only one? Must include original music like Zanarkand. Who doesn't love that song? Again I apologize for getting a little off topic.

I'm glad to know that there is a good "game" movie now. Anticlimatic as it is - it's good news.
Will watch it :)

the ending actually shares the ending of the sands of time tirolgy. sort of. also he kinda white in the game and has a british accent in the game. lastly did any one notice that when he rapped his face in that cloth it looks like what the new price of persia rapped his face in.

Jory:
I'm just posting here to say how pissed off I also was at the ending of Lost.

It was such a let down.

Also, you apologised for mixing up the flags, then used the phrase "British Accent" which is a rather touchy subject ;D

you know what would've been better? had lost taken place in an alternate earth that somehow links to different earths time to time and they ended up in another alternate earth where yeti's are fighting mutant polar bears

EnigmaHarper:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

The bit about everyone having British accents, though, IS truly annoying.

Exactly, like how when Morgan Freeman played God in Bruce Almighty, people were cool about it. (Even though everyone pictures God as an white old guy with a beard)

Just... one thing... The Middle East is also Asia, it's Southwestern Asia + Egypt.

EnigmaHarper:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

there are exceptions, you wouldn't let a white guy play Othello would you? well maybe if the rest of the cast was black...

EnigmaHarper:

Hey, at least the British pronunciation of "Iran" as i r a n
is closer to the Arabic and Farsi i y r a a n
than the US pronunciation of "Iran" as a y r a n.

While we're on the subject, here's the one next to it:

عراق

That's 'iraaq, not eye-rack. I don't call Mr Obama the Pre-side-dent of the Unnited Statters of Amy Riker, do I?

The "Postal" movie, whilst far from anything remotely resembling cinematic genius was deeply entertaining; so I have to disagree with the "first good video-game movie" comments.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
(Even though everyone pictures God as an white old guy with a beard)

According to the mitochondrial DNA analysis boffins, it'd be more reasonable to portray such a deity as looking like this:

Hey, is "OMG" safe for work?

IWCAS:
I can't wait to see this, and sorry for getting off topic, but I think a Final Fantasy movie would go over really well. Am I the only one? Must include original music like Zanarkand. Who doesn't love that song? Again I apologize for getting a little off topic.

I fear the box set. How many volumes would it be?

I just came from seeing the movie and it was great! Really. Although the names and relationships of the caracthers were changed, as well as location, it was ass faithful to the game lore as possible.

I saw some critics saying it had to much videogame aspects in it, I say thats exactly what I would expect from a movie based on the videogame, all the moves were reproduced in the movie.

The story was well told and since the respective game of the series is a bit old already I forgot enough to be kept in suspense many times, although I identified the major villain even before the opening credits. But I had forgot about the ending so that was a surprise, it just clicked in my head afterwards. Some bad parts here thou, some cliches like the love story, caracther laughing and something terrible happening afterwards, dropping guard and being attacked. Hollywood should have got over these unoriginal ideas decades ago already.

The acting was good I have to say. Jacob Benjamin Gyllenhaal was well as the prince but should have kept his natural American accent, I could swear he swinged between English and some sort of scottish accent along the movie.Maybe they wanted british accents to be faithful to the game.

In my humble opinion I give it 90%. Will definitely own the DVD.

I kinda knew it wasn't going to suck. Still not going to see it though.

Davrel:
The "Postal" movie, whilst far from anything remotely resembling cinematic genius was deeply entertaining; so I have to disagree with the "first good video-game movie" comments.

As my brother would say, there is a big difference between ''good'' and ''entertaining.''

And if we are going by the good = entertaining logic, then I have to disagree with you too. Because the Mortal Kombat movie was roughly entertaining.

Bob, you have obviously forgotten the awesomeness that was "Super Mario Bros." It falls into the so utterly-ridiculous-it's good category. I'd also put the "Resident Evil" films into the guilty pleasure category (Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine). And "Silent Hill" gets some points for capturing the creepiness of the game. Though it does, sadly, fall apart in the last twenty minutes. Eh, maybe you're right...

soapyshooter:
FUCK THAT! The ending of Lost was great. Unless you missed the point. They weren't able to address all the issues because of ABC's ridiculous time restrictions. More answers are coming on the DVD set

After all the seasons they weren't? You can'y say it was ABC's fault. They knew that the series like any other TV show would be cancelled as soon as the audience rates would drop under a certain line. They shouldn't keep making the plot wondering around and about making it more and more complex so in the last season they go like: "Fuck, now we can't solve everything". Actually even worse when they say they planned to end the series in 3 seasons and ABC signed with them for 3 more, so they had twice the time originally given to come to terms with the plot.

Kind of suprised to hear that Prince of Persia is a good movie. Now I am really curious and want to go see it.

But honestly, I don't know what Movie Bob was expecting. It was only logical that a video game with at least some semblance of an actual plot would be the first one to be made into a decent movie. While I suppose "princess gets kidnapped and Mario needs to save her" is some sort of plot, it's not exactly a concept that would make for a good movie.

Having said that, considering IGN's April Fools Zelda Trailer, I think Legend of Zelda would potentially make a good movie. Not a great one, but perhaps at least a good one.

As for the "whitewashing" thing. While it would be great if they hired some good Iranian actors to play the roles, I don't think their choices were necessarilly bad. I mean, the main actor may not be Persian, but he looks kind of Persian and is preety faithful to the Prince's appearance. So I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially considering Persia was an empire at the time.

TRANSLATION:

"Meh"

anyway, Ive always liked videogame movies.

and indeed I put the resievil movies over the resievil games (except 4, but then again four has fucking nothing to do with the franchise.)

Man, where are the monster of the sand? I mean, did they completly by pass the fact that the whole population became monster of the sand of time. Twisted aberation mindless killing things...

Are there any freaking monster at all in the movie? :(

LMFAO @ the "brownest" comment.

Ethnically speaking, an Indian would make a far better Persian than an Arab would. Persian and Indian peoples are closely related, and are themselves part of the Indo-European family of nations. In fact, any European (not counting Basques) would make a better Persian than an Arab would, along those lines. Sure, we like to think of Persia as being "Middle Eastern" because they're predominantly Muslim, like the Arab world, but that's a later advent.

Just a quick note on geography: Middle East is still part of Asia (or at least most of it).

Anyway, this looks reasonable. I'm considering watching this one since I MISSED IRON MAN 2.

Half Jewish...

What...

I'm so gonna start being half atheist now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here