Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Thanks for clearing up the British/English thing at the beginning, I don't know who it offended but it was very decent of you.

Great review as always, I'm going to have to see this over Robin Hood next week.

First good videogame movie?

Well, I may be alone in this, but I thought Silent Hill was fantastic, it did a great job of getting the atmosphere of the games across with enough fanboy moments to keep me happy without alienating non-fans.

Also, Hitman was... OK.

Tarkand:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.

Well it doesn't look that bad I think the new A-Team movie has potential. Movies like Splice and Inception look pretty cool, plus we get Toy Story 3 which is probably the best news for the summer

The end of Lost was so awesome! I have no idea what Bob's complaining about. You got closure on everything, and you left with genuinely good feelings about every character. I don't see the problem.

I couldn't care less about the Prince of Persia movie. Bob wasn't excited enough to convince me to go.

The flag really didn't bother me. It happens all the time.

The first Resident Evil movie wasn't that bad, I mean it wasn't great but I can watch it and not want to tear my eyes out the entire time.

So I just saw the movie, and right now I'm thinking two things:

1.) I'm an idiot for not realizing the bald, bearded guy who wears black all the time is the bad guy.
2.) I get why MovieBob said most people would hate the ending, but I actually didn't mind it so much. In fact, I thought it was a fitting ending.

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, for me at least it was better than iron man 2.

MB202:

1.) I'm an idiot for not realizing the bald, bearded guy who wears black all the time is the bad guy.
2.) I get why MovieBob said most people would hate the ending, but I actually didn't mind it so much. In fact, I thought it was a fitting ending.

I liked the ending.

Tarkand:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.

ahem

Hollock:
I was pleasantly surprised by this movie, for me at least it was better than iron man 2.

MB202:

I liked the ending.

Glad I'm not the only one.

MovieBob:
Prince of Persia

This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

You've heard the argument about how Persians are actually ARYAN so I won't bog you down with what you've probably been hammered with already. It's just so frustrating because even Iranians say their ARYAN (i.e. White) so when critics keep talking about how they want more Middle-Easter looking actors its racist.

Anyway, casting George Clooney as Mario is a TERRIBLE idea, Mario is lively, energetic, and has a personality. Clooney is none of those things, he's wooden, dull, and a cardboard cut-out of an A-list Hollywood star. Why? Because women and gay men find him attractive. Only his looks keep him around. He's like Hugh Jackman minus the the wide range of acting capabilities and talent.

Anyway thank you for not spoiling anything. Shalom. ;)

Good good, anyways Moviebob will you just quit dicking around and just REVIEW MACGRUBER ALREADY???

First good game movie?

Silent Hill, Bob. Never forget Silent Hill.

Bob, that wasn't a review or a critique, I don't know what that was. It came across more like a forum post. Back up your statement that it's good with some damn facts. Folks, if you want to be entertained AND informed, please go to spill.com. Honestly, I freaking love the Game Overthinker, Bob is a smart guy, but Escape to the Movies will rarely tell you anything of use. I'm sorry to rant like this, but even Yahtzee will tell us why something is bad, and occasionally, why something is good.

OK, got that off my chest. Yay.

Several of us have brought up some game movies we liked. This isn't the first good game movie, perhaps it'll be the most bankable, who knows. Silent Hill is my personal favourite, and I watched it before playing any of the games, and boy was I impressed after playing the games. The writing was strong, the actors were convincing, effects were great, the colour pallet was morbid, and it did indeed capture the spirit of the game, down to the map reading.

A lesser film, Resident Evil, was also a good. They took their work seriously, giving us an interesting female lead (I enjoy Alice, it's rare Hollywood allows us a strong leading female who isn't a bitch) and most of the time, convincing character interaction. A shame the franchise was soiled by that utterly cheesy sequel. I suppose the third was ok, but then, I haven't played the games, so I look at these as a zombie horror fan. On the upside, it is bankable, so obviously it's connecting with audiences outside of gamers.

It may be anticlimactic, at least now gamers have something to point to when some1 says "Name one good movie made from a videogame?"

\o/ win in my book :D

Good movie. I enjoyed it.

If this movie had been made 10-15 years ago, I'd say cast Adrian Pasdar (AKA Nathan Petrelli from Heroes) in a heartbeat. He's half-Persian, a handsome dude and a good actor to boot.

Prince of Persia doesn't set me off as well.. seriously NOW NOW NOW in 2010 the idea of a man with predominantly causcasian features CAN'T BE from Iran is worth this. Last Airbender is much larger issue. Mainly though This is as Bob said. Arabian Nights only using bits from a Videogame that also borrowed from the culture and movies. And mainly doing it by, lets be fair, throwing in more and more stuff. I mean I get the name changes were likely necessary but and the characterization was on. Moreover I loved the family dynamic and so on. Mainly I feel it was true to the spirit of the games which was about the spirit this movie was taking off and included lots of gamisms in different ways. The White-washing is serious in a wider view and post three cracks at this subject I just don't expect Bob and I to see eye to eye seriously on this as to say the plight of homosexual men and women in the US.

I like the slightly confused smiley.

Has no one played the game and seen this movie? I am a huge fan of the first game and when I seen this movie I loved it!! If you don't like the ending.. play the first game! I loved the ending it's jest like the game but like the rest of the movie different. The main characters are PERFECT I really don't care who is from where they fit the parts and did a perfect job. The guy looks like the prince and kicks jest as much butt. The sub characters are greatly entertaining. The "Sandsins" are perfect from the game standard and showing off jest how great the prince is playing his part.

All in all and I'm saying for my friends who also played the game and loved both. This is a right freaking good movie and I think people should really stop thinking of that BS "whitewashing" and not listen to Bob about the ending because it's a great part of the game.

PS also there was a Mario movie it was okay worth a look.

I still think the Hitman movie is the best movie based on a game so far , seem like it have flown under some radars.. or maybe it was just me who liked it..

Hitman was pretty good i agree but its more the game that has flown under the radar

xitel:
You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.

population of Hollywood: about 130,000.
population of the Middle East: about 350,000,000, give or take some tens of millions. That's just counting people actually in the Middle East, not people of Middle Eastern descent.

I'm sure they could have found a person among all those people that could do the job as well as Jake Gyllenhall. Just saying. Statistically. They picked white actors from Hollywood, not because they are the best that ever was, but because they were conveniently nearby. I'm not saying it was a racist statement, but let's be clear. Jake Gyllenhall was not "the best" person in the world to carry the story of Prince of Persia. He's a really good white actor who is an appropriate leading man for a Hollywood action thriller, story be damned. That's all.

Kruxxor:

IanBrazen:
Why does everyone forget that

SILENT HILL

was a videogame movie, and a damn good one at that.

Silent Hill, imho, is the best video game movie to date. PoP wasn't good at all... In my eyes..

THANK YOU!

geeze every time someone mentions video game movies they always forget silent hill. it drives me nuts

It actually ended pretty much the same way how the first Sands-game ended (I presume Bob hasn't played the game).

So I think it was nice that they stayed true to the original and avoided from trying to re-invent the wheel.

Two things I find fun about this is // One: they are making a game based off the movie which normally is fine (even thou as a game designer I hate game that are made to go along with films are they are rushed and feel like they serve no real purpose apart from making a little extra money for the people how own the copyright of the movie) But in this case it kind of feel like the people behind this forgot that it already has games backing it and during the production someone when 'Hey I know what we need to have, a tie in game, since that is the norm nowadays when it comes to big budget summer blockbuster, which this movie is of course going to be!'

Just cos everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to

The second thing was a 'so far' moment I had while watching this, Bob mention that this is the first 'good' movie to come out of Hollywoodland that was based on a video game // Now I might give that to him but the 'so far' moment came when I remember that WoW is been made into a move, or more specifically the book 'Rise of the Lich King', which plots of course of Arthas and his fall from grace into becoming the Lich King, so as this maybe the first it will not be the best

-M

It's interesting the comment you make about how you thought the first good Video Game Movie would be have the power-ups and quests. Prince of Persia didn't really have power-ups or quests, it was as a game, rather cinematic in it's design.

As I'm sure others have commented, the only thing separating the game from the movie is that the game needed to be about 10 times as long, ergo was padded out with puzzles, platforming, and repetitive battles. Hollywood had an easy job here I think, I have yet to see it but as long as they cut and paste from the right source all that's left is making it flow well and look pretty.

Game mechanics really don't translate well to movies, I'd guess that's why this movie is supposedly 'the first'. You need a story that can stand as a film without hints back to mechanics and interactivity. Really that's the reason we have Movies and Games and not a single media to the ring of "SUPER VIDEO ENTERTAINMENT X".

sievr:

population of Hollywood: about 130,000.
population of the Middle East: about 350,000,000, give or take some tens of millions. That's just counting people actually in the Middle East, not people of Middle Eastern descent.

I'm sure they could have found a person among all those people that could do the job as well as Jake Gyllenhall. Just saying. Statistically. They picked white actors from Hollywood, not because they are the best that ever was, but because they were conveniently nearby. I'm not saying it was a racist statement, but let's be clear. Jake Gyllenhall was not "the best" person in the world to carry the story of Prince of Persia. He's a really good white actor who is an appropriate leading man for a Hollywood action thriller, story be damned. That's all.

I would like to start this post my stating the fact that I am not racist!!! Now I would like to point out the reason an AMERICAN made movie would not use real middle eastern people. It's because Americans do not like people that can't speak English clearly. And the amount of racist people in that country would it is jest best for them if they don't expand this field. You know with the war and all that kind of crap. I guess all in all I am trying to say Americans only like Americans.

IanBrazen:

Kruxxor:

IanBrazen:
Why does everyone forget that

SILENT HILL

was a videogame movie, and a damn good one at that.

Silent Hill, imho, is the best video game movie to date. PoP wasn't good at all... In my eyes..

THANK YOU!

geeze every time someone mentions video game movies they always forget silent hill. it drives me nuts

Just to elaborate, even though I believe Silent Hill is the best video game movie, it still isn't a great film. It's just better than the other video game movies.

However I believe that will all change if some rumours do come true. E.g Mass Effect movie and Bioshock movie.

If they are made as well as the games have been, we could be in for a real treat.

Baby Tea:

EnigmaHarper:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

It's about authenticity.
Some (silly) people might claim is has something to do with racism, but really: It's about authenticity.
Ancient Persia would have been populated by Persians, so have a Persian Cast makes it more believable. You can't say Slumdog Millionaire would have been nearly as good is the cast was all Asian. Or that any movie portraying the Yakuza as African guys would be believable. The point of a movie is to tell a story, and you grip people into a story with atmosphere. The proper ethnicity really helps that atmosphere.

It's not a deal breaker, mind you (Not for the sane, or people who have any inkling of an imagination), but it really does help the immersion of the tale unfolding on the big screen in front of you.

Someone's probably already said this (no I'm not going to hunt through 9 pages) but I just replayed Sands of Time and the prince is... well... really WHITE. For a Persian prince. They made him even whiter for Warrior Within and suddenly a lot more persian for Two Thrones, but to be honest I found him kinda ugly there. (EDIT: Maybe that's my white-boy preference, who knows?)

Also, if you want Yakuza stuff with African guys (or to be honest they actually look more Polynesian) then Tokyo Tribe looked pretty intense (then they did that screaming-in-the-eyes thing for like 30 seconds in episode 2 and completely ruined it).

Now, to diverge completely onto my own thing here (again, someone's probably mentioned it) but am I the only person who gets the impression that MovieBob hasn't actually played any of the SoT games? If he's mentioning the ending it's not enough that we 'saw it coming 20 minutes in' - if you've played the games you already saw it coming before you walked into the theatre. Also, he never makes a detailed or even precise reference to any game. The best we've got is "a pastiche of every previous Arabian Nights-type fantasy flick", which is about as precise as saying "It's in the Arabian Nights setting". We got that, move on.

Where's the part where he compares bits of the movie with the corresponding bits from the games? Where's the "Well there's no Dahaka. Shame, he was a bad-ass"? There's not even mention of the princess having a completely new name (or the prince finally having a name at all).

I mean it wasn't a bad review, it told me what I needed to know, it just didn't tell me what I wantedto know as a fan of the series.

MovieBob:
Prince of Persia

This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Mortal Kombat takes the cake for best video game movie by far.

excellent jab at Lost at the end. what a stupid fucking show. i got 3 episodes into season 1 and i could tell that tripe wasn't going anywhere.

Is your voice okay, Movie Bob?

Went to watch it witha friend 3 days ago. Bob's review was just about spot on! Personally, I didnt mind the movie at all and this is from a person that has played 2 of the PoP games (not the animated one)

The movie was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but worthy of multiple thumbs up.

There were a few things that the movie could have done without. Why add some silly backstory about the Prince's adoption when he could just be an actual prince? That still would have made sense, right? Also, there seemed to be some moments where the director must have confused the Prince of Persia with Assassin's Creed.

Oh, and regarding the bad guy...

For what it's worth, the movie was relatively loyal to the game. Sure, the story wasn't quite the same, but the progression of the script paralleled that of the original material. Remember, the movie is based on the video game, rather than a cinematic version of the game itself. Honestly, if it was 100% accurate to the game, it would have sucked. The game didn't have a lot of characters, so the addition of the brothers and other characters was welcomed. Not to mention Alfred Molina as comic relief was a pleasant surprise. Overall, the movie was a good adaptation of the video game into a form more appropriate for wider, non-gamer audiences.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here