Review: ModNation Racers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's LittleBig Racers, though with a bit more ease of use and a bit less charm.

Read Full Article

Awww. If you made Char would have been epic!

Looks like a fun little muck about at least

Meh, don't understand the attraction of a game with its focus on the ability to mod rather than creating a "sound" game. Based on the review itself being a standard kart racing game with a superb facility for modding is not justification for me to buy the game. I prefer to base it on its game play and story (and even not so much multi-player support). But that's just me and understand why others would find this enjoyable if only for the ability to mod.

capacollo:
Meh, don't understand the attraction of a game with its focus on the ability to mod rather than creating a "sound" game. Based on the review itself being a standard kart racing game with a superb facility for modding is not justification for me to buy the game. I prefer to base it on its game play and story (and even not so much multi-player support). But that's just me and understand why others would find this enjoyable if only for the ability to mod.

I actually agree with this. Good customization options and mod support can greatly improve a game, but I don't like it when it becomes the main draw of the game. To me it's just a cool extra that's not worth much if the core game isn't good. It's like the devs go "here's a toolset, go make our game fun." I don't want to have to rely on user-generated content to have a fun game.

OOOOOOHHH

The creative person in me is pleased!!
Imma get one just for kicks, thanks for the review John!!

I Like the fact of haveing a game based around user made content but the problem, well not really a problem but something I find strange is that, in a game where you can "mod" your charcter to whatever you want does everyone rush in and try's to make Mario?

I'm glad we all enjoy those games and movies but isn't kinda wrong to have the title of top mod because you were first to do a mod of something that has been out for years? Someone told me that there are over 25 different mods for Mario... is that true?

But really it's a small observation and has no bearing on how fun the game is.

John Funk:

Read Full Article

Sounds great, now I just need to buy a ps3 :( I love games that include emphasis on modification/player made stuff. I think my favorite/first (apart from Blizzard's RTS's) was Farcry.

Also, no stars? I NEED MY STARS JOHN!!!!

Edit:

Huh, never mind, must have missed them some how.

It reminds me of what some developers call a "test game". That's where the company spends most of it's time energy and money creating one incredible feature; Sooooo they create a game around this one feature hopefully brings back some (if not all) of the money.

Some examples are...

D.O.A extreme beach volleyball 1&2 (BOOB jiggle).
Little BIG Planet (incredible physics engine).
PORTAL (the PORTAL-gun).

Imagine seeing this technology used in other racing games like Flatout or Burnout; It would be amazing.

That would have been amazing...

So, basically nothing owners of Diddy Kong Racing DS and/or a TrackMania game wouldn't have seen before.

If I had more disposable income I'd buy it. I tend to get bored of racers which have a set amount of tracks.

I'm hoping people will eventually create the F1 tracks, the Mario Kart tracks, the F-Zero tracks and any other classics that they can think of

That would be awesome.

It looks pritty good, i'll check it out when my PS3 is fixed(AAARGH)

This looks suspiciously like Joyride for the 360... anyway it looks fun and one of the few games i might buy if i ever get a ps3. But i love my little avatar and i want to see him racing in his own little car with my friends avatars.

GamesB2:
This looks suspiciously like Joyride for the 360... anyway it looks fun and one of the few games i might buy if i ever get a ps3. But i love my little avatar and i want to see him racing in his own little car with my friends avatars.

Seriously? Go on google images and search for "Zero Gear" then tell me that ps3 ripped off 360? :P

Darktau:

GamesB2:

Seriously? Go on google images and search for "Zero Gear" then tell me that ps3 ripped off 360? :P

I'm not saying it's a new idea... and to be fair i don't know much about up-coming releases for ps3 except big ones... but when Joyride was announced i'm fairly sure there was no news of ModNation racers...

The millisecond you hit "g" the first thing it guessed was "Gundam"
Congrats Funk, you are a Gundam Nerd.

Since you failed making Char you should have tried to make something resembling the Battle of Solomon, or A Baoa Qu, hell you had the Gundam character...

I'm kinda split on this game. On one hand I want to make tracks and characters for fun (and a game like this is gold for getting women to the apartment). However on the other hand I'm sure as a gamer I'd get bored of this game maybe 3 months in.

When I get money, I'm getting this game.

The beta was great fun, and I loved all the customization options. And the mapmaker is the best I've seen outside of the Timeplitters one.

I usually question why no one pays more attention to the fact that there's a shield system to prevent the Blue Shell effect to an extent.

I'm a great patron of this game, but I won't go on about it for my own safety.

looks like mario kart.

I typically don't like racing games, but mario kart is just great.

EAT MY KOOPA SHELL BITCHES!!

and you can create your characters too. yippee!

I played the demo last sunday with some friends and while it's not revolutionary, I have to say I had a LOT of fun. It's like Mario Kart indeed, but for PS3... and at least the track in the demo isn't as horrible as half the tracks in Mario Kart for the Wii. Oh, and it has shields.

I love drifting.

This game looks fun. It's all the fun of mario cart with the ability to create whatever I want. I'm one of those guys who really enjoy user created content. But not other people's content no. I just like making my own content because I'm super creative like that. Funny no one ever thinks about people like me when talking about these user generate games.

that boost/shield meter is actually original to the Extreme G series, it worked pretty well in that, so i'll look foward to trying it out in this game.

It is a really fun game and I do think shield/boost system helps lessen cheap effects of leading and getting barraged with weapons.

The biggest downside to this game? The load times.

Seriously, you play this with friends and want to switch up tracks and you'll likely be staring at load screens more than playing. It is one thing to wait a minute or so before playing an hour, but to do so and then play for 2-4 minutes and repeat is just bad design.

I really like this game, but this is one shocking flaw that reduced the fun of the multiplayer component.

John Funk:

Read Full Article

Other than Little Big Planet there are three more words that are appropriate for this game: Big Red Racing.

aseelt:
If I had more disposable income I'd buy it. I tend to get bored of racers which have a set amount of tracks.

I'm hoping people will eventually create the F1 tracks, the Mario Kart tracks, the F-Zero tracks and any other classics that they can think of

That would be awesome.

There are so many mario tracks its not funny.

OT: Its a really fun game apart from the loooong loading, good review

The powering up the Power ups isent new, they did it in Diddy Kong Racing.

John Funk:

Read Full Article

It's too bad you couldn't make Char, that would have been fantastic. That said, it's probably for the best. If you did somehow manage to create one of Japan's biggest pop culture icons, this would have inevitably drawn the attention of Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto to your article....and he would kill you for referring to Mario Kart as "childish". :P

Heck, is it just me, John, or do you seem to be having a death wish recently? First it was the whole MMOG thing and now this. It's increasingly becoming a real-life game of Postal 2. You need to watch your back, man. :P

Anyway, while I will probably never get to play this game, the way the review presents it strongly reminds me of Yahtzee's review of Little Big Planet...and I think his conclusions regarding the concept are just as valid here.

Some game developers don't seem to get the point of user-made content. Don't get me wrong, customisation can be a very nice thing and it certainly increases the longetivity of a game.
But the reason why it works for some games is either beacuse the core product is also good or modifications make it a completely different game (or both). If the core game is mediocre and you only have customisation that applies to that game specifically, then the novelty of it will eventually wear off once people realise they are just repeatedly playing the same mediocre game in a different packaging.

Here's to getting this game close to summer break next week. Love the Vegeta mod btw.

I picked it up the other night. It's a fun game and definitely worthwhile. Yeah the racing is nothing spectacularly new. But it is well done, the controls are responsive yet forgiving (unlike alot I have played) and the overall gameplay is enjoyable.

The user customization is absolutely where it shines. You can spend hours on creating your character and car and getting it all just how you want it. And it is astonishing seeing what people have already done with the character creation engine. It brings to mind the shear fun that was the City of Hero's character creation.

The ability to create your own tracks, or if not so inclined, pull in tons of other user created tracks is huge. Yeah much like LBP there will be acres of garbage to wade through, but there is also a metric ton of really good stuff in there.

The cons are pretty obvious as well, and the reviewer seemed to nail most of them. The longish and annoying loading screens being the biggest, followed with the annoying drive around UI system to move between the custom shop, racing etc. This stuff could have easily and more smoothly done with a menu.

John Funk:
John Funk tried to make a Char Aznable racer but failed miserably.

I really don't blame you for trying, that would be awesome...*contemplates making an LBP Char*

I'm thinking of getting this, but I'll definitely be getting Split/Second first.

I'll be getting it soon either way as I'm a big fan of being able to create my own tracks/etc, but I've got to ask: Do you get everything to work with your cart/character/track up front or do you have to slog through the story mode and unlock everything first? That was my biggest complaint about LBP. I mean, I understand wanting people to actually play the track that the developers put time into, but at the same time some people like myself may just want this for the creative aspect of it and grinding through a painfully badly-written plot with cheesy dialogue just... Well, put bluntly, it sucks.

If you do have to slog through the campaign, and I'm assuming (and dreading) that you do, how hard is it to unlock everything? What do you have to do in order to get stuff, anyway?

I'll get this for psp, but not the ps3, pfft.

I can't believe no one said it yet... So I'll!

It's over nine THOUSAND!!!

*Aham*, now, looks like a pretty game. Racing is hardly my thing but when it comes with rockets, I can give it a shot.

I'm a huge fan of mariokart but I have a PS3 so this looks perfect, but is it worth getting if you don't have online?

Haha, complaining about the plot in this game is like complaining about plot in Forza or Mario Kart.

I mean...seriously?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or