Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 24 NEXT

I agree with him completely, if a game still sucks after four hours I drop it!

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

What about
Group D) People who use the opinion's of people who actually like the game. To hate it.

Really?...I mean REALLY? That's your reason for arguing here? .. that is sad... at least, thank you for showing me that you don't really have any opinion on this game other then just to pissing other people off.

No, although now I'd love to piss you off. Since you're obviously an idiot who can't read.
My reason for arguing, is that people recommending this game make it sound like a terrible game. I don't care if I piss other people off.

The people who like this game couldn't make it sound worse to me if they planned it all in advance
"Hey! Let's find everything mike hates about games. Find a game with all those things or say that a game has all those things, and act like all those aspects are awesome".

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:
You won't like the game if you have never played Monster Hunter before and they just thrust you into the meat of the game, and you won't like the game if you think the tutorial is too long. Basically there are two kinds (maybe three?) people who do not like this game.

Group A) The people who made is past the 1* quests, fought some big monsters, do not like how tedious the game can be
Group B) The people who played only 1* quests and hated the game

and then...

Group C) The people who use either group A or Bs opinion to hate the game

Most people who have played Monster Hunter and didn't like it are group B, you can see this in a lot of reviews (worst being Gametrailers review of Monster Hunter Freedom, where they had to out right lie to try to prove their point). This includes Yahtzee. People like to point out flaws in people's opinions, that's why there are a lot of people pointing out this review.

It can be summed up that Yahtzee did not review the game, he reviewed the tutorial, which he doesn't like. The thing is, his review says this is what the whole game is like, which it is not.

What about
Group D) People who use the opinion's of people who actually like the game. To hate it.

People trying to defend this game made me hate the game way more than anything yahtzee said. Anything that got me into a conversation about the game's tutorial would. Infact, yahtzee actually defended the game way better than you did by mistake, because he said

but now I've spotted some of those quick, whippy little bastards and want to switch to a shortsword and shield?

Which comfirmed that there actually are weapons other than sledge hammers, massive swords, massive spears, and all the other giant heavy slow shit. I was under the impression that all the weapons were heavy shit because: First some guy posted some youtube videos showing people beat bosses as if it were an arguement that the game doesn't suck (all of them with retardedly huge weapons), and then if I asked if all weapons are that huge no one bothered responding that they're not

How is this the game's fault then? Yes there other weapons. None of the weapons are slow and none of them are fast, in a sense. A weapon may attack more, but you'll almost never have time to attack that much or else the monster will hit you. A slow weapon, for example, may give you only 1 opportunity to attack, but you may do enough damage in that 1 attack than 3 of a faster weapon.

All the monsters are designed to be fought with every weapon. You don't need a fast weapon on a fast monster, it's all about timing and learning how the weapons work.

It isn't the game's fault. It is however, evidence of my claim that the very fans of this game make it sound worse than people arguing against it.

Your thoughts are flawed though. I just explained that no weapon is actually slow in the game. Just because you are fighting a fast monster, does not mean there is no opportunities for a slow weapon to hit.

I don't see how that makes it so it isn't slow. That just makes it so it's usable. I don't care if it's possible to hit a raptor with a sledgehammer that uses the sun as the blunt end. I want a sword of reasonable size and a shield if the game isn't going to ignore logic and make it so massive swords can be swung at a decent speed (I don't care if they do or not. As long as there are fast weapons in the game).

Hey, you want an example of what the game's REALLY like? Ok, then I'll tell you. Recently me and a friend decided to finally get around to the online, and grind up the ranks quick as possible together to get to the cool shit. The online has a bit more grinding than the offline thanks to the odd and hilarious fact that it's on a subscription fee basis in Japan. Me and him added each other as friends and got to it, killing a whole mess of every monster up to the Rathian. The nice thing was that he was rolling with Switch Axe or Lance most of the time, and I was rolling with a paralyzing Hammer.

When we got to the point of doing the Rathian (large female Dragon, fire breath, poison tail, etc) capture quest, he went with the lance all the time, and we had a hell of a time. The two subquests were to damage its head, and sever its tail. Being a hammer user, I could not sever the tail, but was quite adept at injuring the head. My partner, using a Lance, was quite adept at severing the tail. So we'd race to see who could finish their subquest first, and it was always close. We would run circles around this huge fucking dragon, wailing on it constantly and chopping off bits of it. It was fun as hell.

Great Swords are fast when you unsheathe attack with them, meaning if you run and start your attack itll unsheathe into a downward sword strike thats fairly quick and lets you dodge after pretty fast. Its only slow if you stand there to do upswings to side swings or charge it to do a massive strike. Depends on what your play style is with some prefer to just use unsheathe attacks with the armor skill crit draw(makes draw attacks always crit) into slaps into a charge which is effective and some ppl prefer to just swing slowly when not being targeted with up to side swings. Up to you how you play with a weapon.

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

What about

Really?...I mean REALLY? That's your reason for arguing here? .. that is sad... at least, thank you for showing me that you don't really have any opinion on this game other then just to pissing other people off.

No, although now I'd love to piss you off. Since you're obviously an idiot who can't read.
My reason for arguing, is that people recommending this game make it sound like a terrible game. I don't care if I piss other people off.

The people who like this game couldn't make it sound worse to me if they planned it all in advance
"Hey! Let's find everything mike hates about games. Find a game with all those things or say that a game has all those things, and act like all those aspects are awesome".

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:
You won't like the game if you have never played Monster Hunter before and they just thrust you into the meat of the game, and you won't like the game if you think the tutorial is too long. Basically there are two kinds (maybe three?) people who do not like this game.

Group A) The people who made is past the 1* quests, fought some big monsters, do not like how tedious the game can be

and then...

Most people who have played Monster Hunter and didn't like it are group B, you can see this in a lot of reviews (worst being Gametrailers review of Monster Hunter Freedom, where they had to out right lie to try to prove their point). This includes Yahtzee. People like to point out flaws in people's opinions, that's why there are a lot of people pointing out this review.

It can be summed up that Yahtzee did not review the game, he reviewed the tutorial, which he doesn't like. The thing is, his review says this is what the whole game is like, which it is not.

What about

People trying to defend this game made me hate the game way more than anything yahtzee said. Anything that got me into a conversation about the game's tutorial would. Infact, yahtzee actually defended the game way better than you did by mistake, because he said

but now I've spotted some of those quick, whippy little bastards and want to switch to a shortsword and shield?

Which comfirmed that there actually are weapons other than sledge hammers, massive swords, massive spears, and all the other giant heavy slow shit. I was under the impression that all the weapons were heavy shit because: First some guy posted some youtube videos showing people beat bosses as if it were an arguement that the game doesn't suck (all of them with retardedly huge weapons), and then if I asked if all weapons are that huge no one bothered responding that they're not

How is this the game's fault then? Yes there other weapons. None of the weapons are slow and none of them are fast, in a sense. A weapon may attack more, but you'll almost never have time to attack that much or else the monster will hit you. A slow weapon, for example, may give you only 1 opportunity to attack, but you may do enough damage in that 1 attack than 3 of a faster weapon.

All the monsters are designed to be fought with every weapon. You don't need a fast weapon on a fast monster, it's all about timing and learning how the weapons work.

It isn't the game's fault. It is however, evidence of my claim that the very fans of this game make it sound worse than people arguing against it.

Your thoughts are flawed though. I just explained that no weapon is actually slow in the game. Just because you are fighting a fast monster, does not mean there is no opportunities for a slow weapon to hit.

I don't see how that makes it so it isn't slow. That just makes it so it's usable. I don't care if it's possible to hit a raptor with a sledgehammer that uses the sun as the blunt end. I want a sword of reasonable size and a shield if the game isn't going to ignore logic and make it so massive swords can be swung at a decent speed (I don't care if they do or not. As long as there are fast weapons in the game).

Believe it or not, the giant hammer is actually a fast weapon. So is the lance, long sword and Slashaxe in one of it's modes. These are the bigger weapons too. It's not that the character is moving it at inhuman speeds, it's hard to explain without seeing it though. The smaller weapons, sword and shield, dual swords (not in this game) and light bowgun are small fast weapons. I think they have yet to add a small weapon that is slow.

Yep, the fast weapons exist (Sword and Shield, light Bowguns). They do less damage per hit, and since they're hitting more often, they have to be sharpened/reloaded more often. And if you like the shield half of the Sword and Shield, but want something that hits harder, the Lance is available. If you like doing faster slices and don't care about blocking, the Long Sword becomes available about a third of the way through the game (introduced later to keep a bijillion xxSephirothxx's from running around in online mode).

Well, it seems that everyone who's played the game beat the tutorial in an hour or less, so it leads me to this conclusion: Yahtzee sucks at video games.

Already new that, though...

10 hours, you're off you're nut, lol.

Even if that were true, do you know how long this game lasts? I got over 2000+ hours between the 3 PSP games.

deckai:

mike1921:

Ha ha, that's really good ... really i can't argue with this twisted logic.

Point out what's wrong with it, otherwise it means the twisted logic makes sense.

Mindmaker:

mike1921:

Really?
What about you posting some really uneducated statments, demanding or provoking a response and when given, ignoring it, while reposting the same bullshit on another page?

What?

Zeruun22:

mike1921:

shadowmarth:

mike1921:

What about

Most of the weapons are HUGE. That's just how it goes. There's also Bowgunning, which is an entirely different experience. You know the thing about Sword and Shield though? It hits pretty weak compared to the bigger weapons (obviously), so you have to hit more often. Which is doable. But you also have to keep a variety of swords around because maximizing elemental damage is key to doing well with Sword and Shield. It's not exactly the best noob weapon.

I really don't care if it's the best weapon. Big heavy slow weapons bore me to death.

Kai XIII:

mike1921:

Kai XIII:
Sure is agree with yAHtzhee in here.

It's a good game, get over yourselves

Yes, how dare we agree with yahtzee that a game you like sucks. Obviously if you say it's a good game it must be, all mighty person with 10 posts.

u mad?

I mad

My problem is all you guys are basing your opinions off bad info and running with it. yes bigger weapons are slow, but so what they have extra benefits Great sword can cut off parts of the monsters and make it do a flip and scream in pain and shock, lances pierce and trip monsters, hammers daze monsters if you hit them in the head and burn up their stamina fast making them stand for awhile drooling in exhaustion. Youve never played this game so you dont really know if you dislike slow weapons because they cause statuses you might find amusing. And just in case you didnt see my earlier posts tutorial half hour if you just accomplish the objectives, sharpenss bad at first extra dmg when you get good sharpness, resources suck at first farmers do it for you later "Yay now I can just beat the crap out of monsters"

I honestly don't care about the benefits. Give me a reasonable weapon or give me a weapon that is unreasonable and has decent speed.

I'm definitely not the type to sit through a 60-140 hour game because I find the status elements amusing.

Alright, does the game tell you which of the level 1 quests are pointless shit and which aren't? If it doesn't, is it 30 minutes to play all of them or 30 minutes to just play the ones that you need to pass? Also, if I hear another contradicting number from a person defending this game I might just rent it and play through that slock just so I could point out which of you are fucking liars.

BrilliantCircle:

z(ombie)fan:

Urf:
As I've stated before, my problem with the video is that he didn't review the actual game.
I was looking forward to a proper nip picking and what I got was Yahtzee whining about his job.

AGAIN YOU ARENT PAYING ATTENTION.

yes, he reviewed the actual damn game. he played and found it to be a tedious crapathon

also, that was 100% nit picking of the game, what the hell are you reading?

He did not review the game, he reviewed the tutorial. People who have actually played Monster Hunter would tell you the game is about hunting big monsters to gather material from them to fight even bigger and harder monsters.

It is not about gathering mushrooms or honey (like in Yahtzee's review) or hunting a bunch of small monsters (like in Yahtzee's review). Doing these things though, TEACH you about the game and MAY help you later. For example, fighting small monsters can help you learn how to time your attacks/dodges/blocks. Gathering can help you make items to help you fight big monsters, for example, you are low on health, but you know where ingredients are in the level to make potions so you can continue fighting.

These skills that you learn become pointless once you start PLAYING the game. You know how to take advantage on monster's movements and you know to be prepared for missions (you'll also have enough money now to just buy what you need from the store). Does this sound like anything from Yahtzee's review?

camazotz:
I am surprised that no one really gets the basic message Yahtzee was enunciating here: That if a game can't manage to appeal to you in X hours then it's not going to appeal to you inb 2X or even 3X hours. And even if it did, is wading through the initial round of suck worth a potential pay-off on hearsay? I've experienced many games like that....and I rarely give a game more than 1 hour if I find it's not to my liking; I have a much, much lower tolerance level for suck than Yahtzee (plus I don't have to do a video review, thank the evil game gods).

Whether it's a tutorial that takes (seemingly) forever or just normal gameplay (that feels like a bad tutorial) the bottom line is: hours in to the game none of the gameplay appealed to Yahtzee. And ergo I am reasnably confident it will not appeal to me, as I have found that about 75% of the time if Yahtzee finds a game's drag preposterous and torturous, so will I. About the only time I saw one of his reviews and it said, "this game has moments of suck, but the payoff for hanging in there is kinda cool (I'm paraphrasing here obviously) it was with Dark Void, which I did go get (once I saw it for ten bucks) based on what Yahtzee said. And he was right.

The last time I ignored Yahtzee, it was at my peril--I picked up Wet despite his review, thinking I could overlook it all and find the coolness within. I was wrong.

Damnit, Yahtzee is always right. ALWAYS.

he responded better than I could.

but basically there is one design rule that should NEVER EVER BE BROKEN: If your going to suck massively, don't do it at the beginning of the game. if your NOT gooing to suck massively...

then well at least put more effort into the beginning anyway. remember: first impressions are rather important.

Good follow up review by Yahtzee, just gives me another reason not to buy the Wii--I think Yahtzee has yet to give a Wii game a good review, or at least good enough for me to spend forty bucks on it.

And another thing, every gamer has a right to judge a game by his own merit, and no one can fault the game reviewer for that. The argument "that's how it's meant to be played" is a very fallacious one---a game can't tell me how to have "fun," I will KNOW when I'm having fun. If I play a game, and I play like it has a 10 hr tutorial, well tough shit cause the game does really suck.

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

What about

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

and then...

What about

Believe it or not, the giant hammer is actually a fast weapon. So is the lance, long sword and Slashaxe in one of it's modes. These are the bigger weapons too. It's not that the character is moving it at inhuman speeds, it's hard to explain without seeing it though. The smaller weapons, sword and shield, dual swords (not in this game) and light bowgun are small fast weapons. I think they have yet to add a small weapon that is slow.

So I'm guessing all those youtube videos labeled "Monster Hunter Tri" where they are fighting giant monsters with giant hammers and they are slow as shit are really about another shitty game where you fight monsters?

Jesus Christ people honestly believe that the tutorial is literally 10 hours long? Thanks for giving me lot's of quotations whenever the argument of how many people take Yahtzee seriously comes up.

mike1921:

I'm definitely not the type to sit through a 60-140 hour game because I find the status elements amusing.

Alright, does the game tell you which of the level 1 quests are pointless shit and which aren't? If it doesn't, is it 30 minutes to play all of them or 30 minutes to just play the ones that you need to pass? Also, if I hear another contradicting number from a person defending this game I might just rent it and play through that slock just so I could point out which of you are fucking liars.

Do it. No seriously, do it. You'll either be better off for playing a good game, or you'll be better off for not talking about this shit with no actual experience.

And the game doesn't straight out tell you which 3 out of the 5 first available quests are necessary to advance, but it does suggest that you do those quests first in the text before missions. Furthermore it's just a couple extra quests if you don't know which ones, which amounts to maybe an extra 20-30 minutes.

And what you define as a "reasonable weapon" is derived from very different games. Within the context of this game, the available weapons are fantastic.

That is one of MH3's failings, in that it doesn't tell you which quests are required to move on all the time. It falls into the "All There in the Manual" trope. The game does throw in an "urgent" quest that acts as a lock on the next set of quests until you complete it though. The 1* quests you can ignore are:
Killing Kelbi
Fishing
Collecting Red Coral Stones

If you already know what you're doing, you can get through the required 1* quests in about an hour. Speed run, maybe 40 minutes. For most people, about 1.5 hours. To do all the 1* quests, 2 hours. YMMV.

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

So I'm guessing all those youtube videos labeled "Monster Hunter Tri" where they are fighting giant monsters with giant hammers and they are slow as shit are really about another shitty game where you fight monsters?

They may look slow in that video, but trust me, when you're fighting a monster, they're more than fast enough to take advantage of the openings the monsters give you.

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

Point out what's wrong with it, otherwise it means the twisted logic makes sense.

Mindmaker:

mike1921:

Really?
What about you posting some really uneducated statments, demanding or provoking a response and when given, ignoring it, while reposting the same bullshit on another page?

What?

Zeruun22:

mike1921:

shadowmarth:

mike1921:

What about

Most of the weapons are HUGE. That's just how it goes. There's also Bowgunning, which is an entirely different experience. You know the thing about Sword and Shield though? It hits pretty weak compared to the bigger weapons (obviously), so you have to hit more often. Which is doable. But you also have to keep a variety of swords around because maximizing elemental damage is key to doing well with Sword and Shield. It's not exactly the best noob weapon.

I really don't care if it's the best weapon. Big heavy slow weapons bore me to death.

Kai XIII:

mike1921:

Kai XIII:

Yes, how dare we agree with yahtzee that a game you like sucks. Obviously if you say it's a good game it must be, all mighty person with 10 posts.

u mad?

I mad

My problem is all you guys are basing your opinions off bad info and running with it. yes bigger weapons are slow, but so what they have extra benefits Great sword can cut off parts of the monsters and make it do a flip and scream in pain and shock, lances pierce and trip monsters, hammers daze monsters if you hit them in the head and burn up their stamina fast making them stand for awhile drooling in exhaustion. Youve never played this game so you dont really know if you dislike slow weapons because they cause statuses you might find amusing. And just in case you didnt see my earlier posts tutorial half hour if you just accomplish the objectives, sharpenss bad at first extra dmg when you get good sharpness, resources suck at first farmers do it for you later "Yay now I can just beat the crap out of monsters"

I honestly don't care about the benefits. Give me a reasonable weapon or give me a weapon that is unreasonable and has decent speed.

The unreasonable weapons are later in the games online mode, and the statuses aside from being amusing to me allow for extra uninterrupted damage on the boss while its knocked out or paralyzed or exhausted. The game doesnt give you a heads up on which quests are the key ones a flaw true but a flaw easily fixed with a visit http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Offline_Quests

That issue even you agree isnt too bad so 4 quests before you can fight bigger stuff with w/e weapon aside from the ones unlocked later( Switchaxe and Long Sword)And please do rent it and give the numbers Ive quoted a try just do the 4 key quests to see how long it takes you if you dont free roam, wont even be an hour.

Doesn't stop you from playing after a bit does it?

*sigh*

How bout playing out of the tutorial? Think about it. You said GTAIV was one gigantic tutorial.. you hated it, yet you played it... Hm... Don't we see a problem here?

Oh yeah...

Did it ever occur to you to even continue to play the game to see if you fought larger monsters? The monster in the video above is your first boss monster... you fight him within a hour or so...

I don't care that you didn't like it, but I find your excuse weak.
Good Day.

shadowmarth:

mike1921:

Do it. No seriously, do it. You'll either be better off for playing a good game, or you'll be better off for not talking about this shit with no actual experience.

And the game doesn't straight out tell you which 3 out of the 5 first available quests are necessary to advance, but it does suggest that you do those quests first in the text before missions. Furthermore it's just a couple extra quests if you don't know which ones, which amounts to maybe an extra 20-30 minutes.

And what you define as a "reasonable weapon" is derived from very different games. Within the context of this game, the available weapons are fantastic.

Well excuse me for assuming, when someone critisizing the game says "This game has a long ass tutorial" and when someone defending it says "this game has a long ass tutorial", that I assume the game has a long-ass tutorial.

So, 50 minute to an hour tutorial. Still Pretty long and annoying if you ask me.

My definition of reasonable weapon is derived from what I can tolerate using.

shadowmarth:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

They may look slow in that video, but trust me, when you're fighting a monster, they're more than fast enough to take advantage of the openings the monsters give you.

Yet again, that makes them usable, not fast.

camazotz:
I am surprised that no one really gets the basic message Yahtzee was enunciating here: That if a game can't manage to appeal to you in X hours then it's not going to appeal to you inb 2X or even 3X hours.

I dunno. In the reviews of anything that would actually reward some patience and long-term play Yahtzee comes across as an ex-gamer with much more manly things to do than indulge in a childish hobby. To be fair, I would totally agree if I owned a bar too.

I don't though, so I'm free to treat investing effort to develop skill in a game as a an ends in itself as opposed to an obstacle in the way of playing enough of a game to provide me with a few minutes of good comedic material. Titles with a long learning curve are much more rewarding for making me actually engage myself in playing them instead of just tapping buttons and watching things explode or villains spewing dialog.

mike1921:

The game doesn't.
I've give you a pretty detailed response to that, after you were trying to provoke me. (Post 212, Page 7)

Sturmdolch:
This game sounds terrible... I mean, I know Yahtzee exaggerates a lot (or really hates games?) but even so, this sounds like a shitty Korean MMORPG without the MMO part.

It's ironic really, when you consider that Star Trek Online is a full blown MMO whose gameplay and excessive instancing throw up an enormous question mark over the whole 'Multiplayer' thing, while MH3 - tedious, repetitive and lacking a central plot beyond 'grind-for-next-equipment-upgrade' - feels like it bloody well should've been an MMO.

Supernova2000:

Sturmdolch:
This game sounds terrible... I mean, I know Yahtzee exaggerates a lot (or really hates games?) but even so, this sounds like a shitty Korean MMORPG without the MMO part.

It's ironic really, when you consider that Star Trek Online is a full blown MMO whose gameplay and excessive instancing throw up an enormous question mark over the whole 'Multiplayer' thing, while MH3 - tedious, repetitive and lacking a central plot beyond 'grind-for-next-equipment-upgrade' - feels like it bloody well should've been an MMO.

MH is an MMO in japan its called MH Freedon Unite

Edit: Sorry about the bad info earlier its 3 key quests not 4 so even less time and Great Jaggi isnt the urgent 6 ludroth(water carnivores) is. So 1 less key quest and 6 exceedingly easier monsters than 1 small boss as the intro to the game again whoever Yahtzee or the ppl who wrote him saying get past the first 10 hours and said it was the tutorial watch your ass, a lightning bolt may be headed your way next time it rains.

mike1921:

Well excuse me for assuming, when someone critisizing the game says "This game has a long ass tutorial" and when someone defending it says "this game has a long ass tutorial", that I assume the game has a long-ass tutorial.

So, 50 minute to an hour tutorial. Still Pretty long and annoying if you ask me.

My definition of reasonable weapon is derived from what I can tolerate using.

I keep trying to explain it to you, maybe you just need to play it, but the weapon speeds aren't an issue, because the enemy monsters are so damned fast. You'll be dodging and trying to position yourself for attacks a lot more than you'll actually be attacking on most bosses until you learn their movement and attack patterns pretty well.

And other people have tried to get this across, but it's not really a tutorial, it's just a slow start. And as I've tried to say earlier, yes it's a bit slow, but not without reason. In the past, the Monster Hunter games have taken shit for not having enough build-up and just kind of throwing you into the shit with huge monsters. This was an attempt to allow people to learn their weapons a bit and be better prepared when they finally got to the big monsters. Maybe it's a bit slow, but it's also rather rewarding to beat the big monsters when you finally do.

Furthermore if you do rent it, make sure you get through Barroth. He's the barrier between noob and competent hunter in this game, which is saying something since in the past games, it's been the FIRST BOSS that has been roughly that difficulty. The game may start slow, but it's for your benefit.

Wow.. this thread is just.. wow. *sighs*

BrilliantCircle:

Monster Hunter is different though. Really, there is no game yet designed like Monster Hunter (which is surprising to me).

Actually, there are a ton of games that are designed like Monster Hunter and they've been around for a long time. Diablo could be cited as an example (generally not story oriented game based on performing fetch/kill this quests in order to acquire loot). Most MMOs, however, are actually even better examples. Many MMOs have an abundance of go there, kill this, collect that quests but they generally aren't boring or off putting at the beginning. Even if early game MMO gameplay can be derivative (as can late game play, really) there's always the common reliance on story, role playing and an open gameplay experience to make them interesting.

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

What about

BrilliantCircle:

mike1921:

BrilliantCircle:

and then...

What about

Hammers are fast, they can dish out 3 attacks at almost the same speed as lances 3 attacks and about 1/1.5 great sword swings. That is not slow. They are also the high tier (probably highest tier) weapons. Which means, if you are awesomely good with a hammer, you will beat any monster faster than any other person with a different weapon.

All in all, I don't think you will find the game satisfying at all because it seems you are too into the aesthetics of games.

This still didn't address the concerns I brought up; namely, that he wasn't at all honest about the fact that he didn't play the game, at least until now. That's the problem I had, not that he quit early, even though the tutorial is nowhere near ten hours; he's out of it when he's fighting the boss monster.

Plus, if he'd paid attention to the game, he would notice that fighting things in "the overworld" (which is actually pretty much just free roam in the first mission area, not really a necessary place) isn't actually required. At all.

I'm fine with him saying he didn't like the game and quit, but the problem with the video was that he didn't state that, he just made the entire game sound like the first two gathering missions.

It's also rather clear he's bad at this genre (judging from his reviews of this and Demon's Souls), but that's not a point against him. The boss fights were never trouble for me, but it does take a bit of getting used to the slower weapons. The weapons aren't even really that slow; the Hammer, if you use it's charge attack, lets you freely move around and then take only about a second to hit with it's "superpound", and it's triple combo is about a second delay then very quick attacks for the other two attacks.

Mindmaker:

mike1921:

The game doesn't.
I've give you a pretty detailed response to that, after you were trying to provoke me. (Post 212, Page 7)

The only person I've tried to provoke was deckai after he showed that his reading comprehension skills are significantly worse than my 11 year old sister's.

I didn't see anything in that response about the game itself telling you which quests are key quests.

Zeruun22:

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

Mindmaker:

mike1921:

Really?

What?

Zeruun22:

mike1921:

shadowmarth:

mike1921:

What about

Kai XIII:

mike1921:

Kai XIII:

u mad?

I mad

The unreasonable weapons are later in the games online mode, and the statuses aside from being amusing to me allow for extra uninterrupted damage on the boss while its knocked out or paralyzed or exhausted. The game doesnt give you a heads up on which quests are the key ones a flaw true but a flaw easily fixed with a visit http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Offline_Quests

That issue even you agree isnt too bad so 4 quests before you can fight bigger stuff with w/e weapon aside from the ones unlocked later( Switchaxe and Long Sword)And please do rent it and give the numbers Ive quoted a try just do the 4 key quests to see how long it takes you if you dont free roam, wont even be an hour.

So you can figure out which quests are skippable...If you use a wiki? So what if you want to play the game yourself and don't want to resort to using the internet to help you?

Unless the game tells me which quests are key quests, I'm doing all of them and counting all of them. I'm not going to play the game at a speed you can only get with a wiki or the luck of playing all the right quests in the right order.

shadowmarth:

The Brewin:

Well Yahtzee did do fighting aswell as the herb picking and management tasks...how much more to the game is actually left to do after the time he spent...the combat doesn't magically get better, and if he doesnt like this part of the game now, he wont like it after the tutorial whether its 5 minutes or 10 hours after.
As for exploring, well I agree with Yahtzee, the loading times completely take me out of any immersion in the game. Its not bad...but not great. The tedious sections Yahtzee have done and mentioned are actually a rare moment of him going out of his way to play longer in a game.

Actually the combat DOES get better, in a way. Because you get better at it. As the monster become more difficult, you really have to be extremely accurate and careful, or you get raped by a goddamned dragon.

You know for all the shit people talk about this game, the truth is that it's about SMASHING FUCKING DINOSAURS AND SEA MONSTERS' HEADS IN WITH YOUR FUCKING HAMMER, WITH YOUR FUCKING FRIENDS IF YOU SO DESIRE. It's a fun as hell game. The grind is WAAAAAY more fun that in MMOs, since you're actually playing fun boss fights rather than grinding on any particular mob or quest, and the rewards for it are fantastic.

Also every game tutorial ever sucks, just about. I really can't think of too many that don't. It's the boring part before the actual game, and every game with any depth has it. Deal with it?

Yes what you say is completely true...however the core combat mechanics havn't changed after the tutorial, and whilst tactical against the big boys it isn't exactly shadow of the colossus is it? And as such if the reviewer doesnt find it fun, he isn't going to find it more fun playing it more and more and more. If Yahtzee didn't enjoy it, he's entitled to say so, and its clear this isn't his kind of game...much as if you like it, your entitled to defend it. The problem I think is present here is that many are magically assuming Yahtzee would love/like this game if he spent longer playing it...this isn't true. If for one second you'd assume Yahtzee would like this with further playtime, you've clearly never watched his videos.

mike1921:
So you can figure out which quests are skippable...If you use a wiki? So what if you want to play the game yourself and don't want to resort to using the internet to help you?

Unless the game tells me which quests are key quests, I'm doing all of them and counting all of them. I'm not going to play the game at a speed you can only get with a wiki or the luck of playing all the right quests in the right order.

Then it'll take you 0-3 extra throwaway, 5 minute quests before you get to the Great Jaggi... Big fucking deal, you would have gone back and done them just to finish out the 1star rank eventually anyway.

StriderShinryu:

BrilliantCircle:

Monster Hunter is different though. Really, there is no game yet designed like Monster Hunter (which is surprising to me).

Actually, there are a ton of games that are designed like Monster Hunter and they've been around for a long time. Diablo could be cited as an example (generally not story oriented game based on performing fetch/kill this quests in order to acquire loot). Most MMOs, however, are actually even better examples. Many MMOs have an abundance of go there, kill this, collect that quests but they generally aren't boring or off putting at the beginning. Even if early game MMO gameplay can be derivative (as can late game play, really) there's always the common reliance on story, role playing and an open gameplay experience to make them interesting.

The big difference is that Monster Hunter requires the skill of the player to beat the game rather than the skill of the armour/weapons. Stronger weapons only become mandatory after a certain point in the game (a loooong ways into the game), armour is not even necessary at all.

It is different in that you won't lose because you did not hurt the monster enough or the monster did a lot of damage to you, you lose because you SUCK at fighting the monster.

Quests and gathering are the only things in common with other games. Monster Hunter's main gameplay element is it's unique combat style which is not shared with other games.

StriderShinryu:

BrilliantCircle:

I can't remember any of the newer MMORPGS putting emphasis on story or roleplaying.
Epic stories and the roleplaying experience is nothing that appeals to the wide masses.
And yes I have once been playing these games, which makes it hard to comprehend, why they should have a better earlygame than MH.

And comon, comparing Diablo and and Monster Hunter?
I agree, they may have some elements in common, but they are completely different games.

mike1921:

Mindmaker:

mike1921:

The game doesn't.

The only person I've tried to provoke was deckai after he showed that his reading comprehension skills are significantly worse than my 11 year old sister's.

I didn't see anything in that response about the game itself telling you which quests are key quests.

Zeruun22:

mike1921:

deckai:

mike1921:

Mindmaker:

mike1921:

Really?

What?

Zeruun22:

mike1921:

shadowmarth:

mike1921:

What about

Kai XIII:

mike1921:

Kai XIII:

u mad?

I mad

Someone stated earlier in a post that the mission npc says something about quests although Ive never noticed, but ok yes a wiki helps you but so what? this is a game designed for online play, the most difficult bosses are all online, to get the best weapons you need to go online, so why not use your online connectivity to get info. Another word of warning then weapon upgrades branch off and it only shows you the next step not the final one so pretty much all players use the internet to determine their weapon path before they start crafting. The first MH came out on the ps2 in 2002 and was online capable, this isnt a new added function its the basis for the entire series.

The main thrust of the argument was that Monster Hunter Tri totally gets good once you've gotten past the tutorial, which takes about ten hours of gameplay.

Firstly, where in the name of the sweet heavenly father did you get a 10 hour tutorial?! O_o

Ok, after rereading again, I think I can almost kind of understand what you're saying.
However, you fought a Great Jaggi and had trouble with the sword and shield? Use the great sword, it's slow, but it's powerful and if you learned the monsters pattern, then you'd be able to easily kill it. Learning a pattern takes less than 5 minutes.

But whatever, you really are kind of entitled now. I still think you're funny though, so be glad of that.

The Brewin:

Yes what you say is completely true...however the core combat mechanics havn't changed after the tutorial, and whilst tactical against the big boys it isn't exactly shadow of the colossus is it? And as such if the reviewer doesnt find it fun, he isn't going to find it more fun playing it more and more and more. If Yahtzee didn't enjoy it, he's entitled to say so, and its clear this isn't his kind of game...much as if you like it, your entitled to defend it. The problem I think is present here is that many are magically assuming Yahtzee would love/like this game if he spent longer playing it...this isn't true. If for one second you'd assume Yahtzee would like this with further playtime, you've clearly never watched his videos.

On the contrary. The part that Yahtzee did (everything up to the Great Jaggi) and the big monster fights (otherwise known as 95% of the gameplay) are extremely different experiences. Knocking out a few Jaggia in free roam is virtually unrelated to being able to kill a Great Jaggi or Qurupeco. The core combat mechanics are the same, true, but the tactics and skills involved are quite different.

Let me put it this way: In WoW, is grinding against random mobs the same experience as downing a raid boss? Yes you have the same tools, but it's a completely different game. Yahtzee didn't actually give the meat of the game the slightest chance.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here