Anime Review: Soul Eater, Vol. 2

Anime Review: Soul Eater, Vol. 2

Despite some clunky storytelling, the students at Hogwarts DWMA deliver a solid second act.

Read Full Article

Glad to see not being dissapointed with the second act. I'll need to pick it up

As my avatar can attest, I enjoyed Soul Eater.

Some of it is derivative, sure, but when it shines, it shines brightly. The comedic aspect is great and as are the production values. I'm a sucker for good art...

EDIT: What is covered in the second act? I watched the series as it was being released in Japan. Canada's rules FTW!

I enjoyed Soul Eater manga, but it was always so long... every chapter about 50 pages, and it's action wasn't as interesting as Fullmetal Alchemist. Guess I'll pick up the anime version, watch till the end and resume with the manga.

Btw, you gonna do Fairy Tail sometime soon? xd

Since when did we have an Anime reviewer?

Cool none the less...

Since when did we have an anime reviewer? Either way, I am glad Escapist is trying to reach a broad audience. It really pulled me in here because of that.

Huh! I thought this feature was dead.

I loved the anime and I think I need to pick up the manga.

Yay! The Anime reviews are back! ^^

Calumon: Now we can work on our Guest Reviews! ^^

Jack: Also, the review seemed fair and just, but Soul Eater does seem to have an almost cult following. Hard to ignore that fact.

ending was poo! overall anime was good to watch at least once. Not something id rewatch.

Op and Ed for both seasons are most excellent tho :D (tho i like j-pop/j-rock :P)

I've recently started watching this on animefreak and i love it :D episode 38 here i come!

Jack and Calumon:
Yay! The Anime reviews are back! ^^

Calumon: Now we can work on our Guest Reviews! ^^

Jack: Also, the review seemed fair and just, but Soul Eater does seem to have an almost cult following. Hard to ignore that fact.

It was one of the rare animes to grab me right from the start. (Berserk did that as well).
It usually takes me anywhere from 3-7 episodes to warm up to a series.

Soul Eater grabbed my attention in the first episode.
The whole part about trying for a few days to defeat Blair made me laugh, while the action itself was well animated. It's a nice mix.

YG: No one gives a shit about your opinion Rob!

s69-5: :/

Abedeus:
I enjoyed Soul Eater manga, but it was always so long... every chapter about 50 pages, and it's action wasn't as interesting as Fullmetal Alchemist. Guess I'll pick up the anime version, watch till the end and resume with the manga.

Btw, you gonna do Fairy Tail sometime soon? xd

The anime version deviates from the Manga's plot at around episode 24 or so, but both are enjoyable.

Though the Manga is better.

DWMA? So that's what they went with in the english dubbing eh? I think just sticking with Shibusen would have been just fine....also probably would have helped with any lip synching problems. (Yeah I'm aware that's probably what it means when translated over, but it sounds much less stupid)

I didn't realize it had ever been released in the US, I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I'm at best buy.(for the japanese audio tracks of course...english dubbing will probably make my ears bleed) By the way, if anyone reading this haven't been keeping up with FMA: Brotherhood, or have never heard about FMA. Stop whatever you're doing and go...go naugh! to the Funimation website and catch the hell up with the series! (albeit they're a week behind the fansubbers in episodes but it's faster than waiting on a dl of the past 59 episodes) I await a box set of Brotherhood eagerly, even though I've already seen some of the english dubs on [AS] and admittedly they don't hold up as well to the first series' dubs. Still, funimation did an amazing job picking their voice actors....hmm I'm gonna have to build a new shelf for these box sets...

Also, it really doesn't appear very clever or particularly funny to keep equating it to Harry Potter in your review. All it does is make it appear you spent your entire time watching the show looking for the similarities and not really watching it.(it also caused me to stop reading once I hit the second paragraph)

The later parts of the show really worked much better in the manga, unfortunately.

Soul Eater is a great anime, but the ending is atrocious.

What you have to remember is that they were tying up an anime that follows a manga that actually is still, to this day, running and that they were basically finding a way to tie up all the plot lines and give the anime a succinct ending. It worked, but that's like saying a Yugo will drive.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here