Zero Punctuation: Alan Wake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

MrDead:

Carnagath:

Zudarkness:

Here's hoping he does a review for Red Dead Remdemption.

http://twitter.com/YahtzeeCroshaw

Red Dead Redemption bugged out and now I can't play any further. Hooray! Next game, please.

Inb4 shitstorm.

Aw. I rebooted and it bugged back in again.
12:09 AM May 28th via Twitterrific

Bugged...in means it got fixed? Damn my southern European ancestry, need to refresh my English.

RJ Dalton:
To be fair, not all of Stephen King's novels are about a writer with personal problems being haunted by an ancient, unknowable evil in small town America. Sometimes, the evil is knowable.
And his best novels weren't anything like that. At which point I take the opportunity to recommend the Dark Tower books to anyone bothering to read my post.

Lol yeah, not that many of his books are about that. Quite a few of them are set in the same small town, but yeah, still. Plus the Dark Tower series is awesome.

A very good review though, even if we disagree on the quality of Stephen King's books. :P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile come to my mind as other great books/movies as well from Stephen King which show a different approach by Stephen King. No evil clowns, cars, motobikes, attacking birds, fog, psychis, untold dark demon creature, some screwed up dark half, processed semis, wraths of god or the devil, possesed steam close presser, basement vortexes, death gardens etc.

One deals with a business man/accounted who was falsly arreested of mudering his wife and the person she had an affair with, sentence to a life sentence and became corrupted in jail from a corrupted Warden and jail guards and the other waws an innocident angelic healer who was accused of a hindeous crime and deamed to death row to turn out that he was really innocident and was tired of living forever.

Sure would of hate to be John Coffie thats for sure.

Thanks you Yatzee for making us remember Stephen King. i like his writting but not as of late. I'm more of a Tom Clancy fan now.

I've been waiting for someone to point out the crappy face animation!

Carnagath:

MrDead:

Carnagath:

Zudarkness:

Red Dead Redemption bugged out and now I can't play any further. Hooray! Next game, please.

Inb4 shitstorm.

Bugged...in means it got fixed? Damn my southern European ancestry, need to refresh my English.

Don't be silly. The internet doesn't use english. It uses a hodge-podge of slang, acronyms, double negatives, and completely made up shit.

MrDead:

Carnagath:

Zudarkness:

Inb4 shitstorm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL Thats too true.. The game does crash at times.

Or you can hunt down and skin every single animal that is there and listen to his comments and wandered what the hell is he talking about.

or land up saving someone from wolves, from a hanging even though they probally deserve it, and horse cart racing.

Thanks Yatzhee you make my Wensdays.

Incidentally, Alan Wake could be an anagram for 'Weak Anal' if you're desperate to go that route.
Like, a request for anal that was poorly delivered upon.

Hmmmm, I thought combat would be a little more unnerving when you have to look at a monster for 4 seconds or so before you can even DAMAGE them. I guess the unnerving part IS brought down a bit when you can move backwards almost as fast as they move forwards, although would you have rathered they just not let you move and shoot at the same time like Resident Evil?

Little off topic: Would you revisit Team Fortress 2 after the Engineer update? It has truly changed into a different game, for better or for worse. Although it would most likely be buggy as fuck.

Tommy T.:
Not really that good IMO.

Possibly because I really really want to play this game but M$ says no to us PC pricks.

According to the devs, it "works best on a console and a bigger screen."

So?

That doesn't mean I wouldn't play it on PC.

Dummköpfe!

Hiroshi Mishima:

Moosh50:
The biggest problem Yatzhee has with horror games is that he plays them on Normal difficulty. Why the fuck would anyone do that? It's survival horror, but the Normal difficulty setting makes it a third-person shooter with bad illumination.

I find it funny that people still seem to be under the impresion that "the harder a game is the more fun it is" because really that's not entirely true. There's a lot of games that I love playing which you would never ever catch me playing on the harder difficulty settings...

This is all true. But the difference here is Remedy made the Normal so easy that the scary bad men are no longer scary, even when a large group of them jump out at you. I played the game on Hard first, and even that was not terribly difficult, but it did add a bit more anxiety, making it really feel like a thriller. When 6 guys appeared at once I ran like a scared rabbit. If the game is too easy, you become so confident that you can easily wade through anything it throws at you, then that defeats the thriller aspect. I made that mistake with Dead Space. I thought it was a mediocre game because I was never fearful of what might come at me. I should have played that game on Hard. I learned from my mistake, and I played Alan Wake on Hard.

EDIT: The key indicator that you should play a game on Hard and skip the Normal is when there is no Easy difficulty, and especially if there is a "Harder than Hard" difficulty, such as "Nightmare".

There are exceptions, of course. Tenchu Z comes to mind; it had Easy/Normal/Hard, but still needed to play on Hard because Normal was like sending Rambo in to destroy a den of kittens. Devil May Cry is an exception in the other direction: Hard is actually Hard.

preordered the book cant wait for it to come out

Blue-State:
Nuts. I saw a play through online and it didn't look so bad. But if the plot and pacing is half as bad as he says it is then I won't bother.

It isn't. Yahtzee is genuinely the first person (that I bother paying attention to) to have voiced a negative opinion, and since he does exactly that for a living, I'd recommend giving it a rent over the weekend. You can beat it in two days with some effort, and at worst you've lost $8-$10.

Amata:

Lol yeah, not that many of his books are about that. Quite a few of them are set in the same small town, but yeah, still. Plus the Dark Tower series is awesome.

A very good review though, even if we disagree on the quality of Stephen King's books. :P

Indeed. It takes more than referencing Stephen King to make an awesome game. Plus, the way they go about it isn't even a good way to do it. Me, I wrote a story and I gave the bad guy a name that had the initials "RF." That's how you pay homage to great writers.

This is the game everyone has been clamoring about as the Game of the year?

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Oh man, funny stuff. From the review, it's basically Stephen King meets Resident Evil meets Scooby Doo. And not in any good order.

Kinda disappointing like Heavy Rain. :/

Tinneh:

Tommy T.:
Not really that good IMO.

Possibly because I really really want to play this game but M$ says no to us PC pricks.

According to the devs, it "works best on a console and a bigger screen."

So?

That doesn't mean I wouldn't play it on PC.

Dummköpfe!

Well that's a very retarded excuse. The devs must really think that the gamers are totally brainwashed.

A dog guiltily shitting in a hat? I would pay well over the average price to see that in a game.

Why the hell is he alway's puttung german words in his episodes?

Btw: funf is wrong it should be "fünf"

I think at this stage stephen king just wants to have his name on everything. I'm a fan of King but i think he's overdone it.

Hardcore_gamer:
It was not as fun as I hoped it was. He spent most of his time talking about how he gets stuck in the forest all the time.

How does it come Yahtzee never reviews grand strategy games like Hearts of Iron 3? That would be pretty awesome.

Is it a JRPG, perhaps? Because he's made it quite clear that he hates those. And Nintendo. So when he reviews Mario Galaxy 2 (correction, IF he reviews it, or any other game down the line, be it Zelda or Metroid) take it with a massive grain of salt.

Alan Wake or Deadly Premonition, choose one that makes you weep for humanity the most.

One of Yahtzee's best reviews. :D
Amazing.

DominoRBG:
Alan Wake or Deadly Premonition, choose one that makes you weep for humanity the most.

Deadly Premonition. Physically painful to play.

enjoyed this one alot. made the last few (which i also enjoyed) look like crap. ZP kicks ass.

Hardcore_gamer:

How does it come Yahtzee never reviews grand strategy games like Hearts of Iron 3? That would be pretty awesome.

He has stated a number of times, the last I remember in the Brütal Legend video, that he does indeed not play such games. I suspect it is related to his emphasis on console games over PC games.

Edit: Or that he plays them but seldom enjoys them.

sounds like a good game nice at atmospheric. But repetitive at BEST!

Maybe there'll be 4 different director's cuts that will remove all voiceover?

Funny review but I love the game. The combat is great if you play in hard dificulty. If you use the flashlight on several enemies at the same time, you'll never end, but if you concentrate on one of them, the rest will run for you, so it's not "look at the enemy and shoot twice".
Also, I love the characters (including Barry), the soundtrack the original and the song selection (specially the last one), the TV and radio shows, and of course, the ilumination (probably the best ever).

The game is boring as shit, but this review isn't any better. It's like you forgot to read what you wrote in the notepad before puking out the words to the microphone.

Spot1990:

Catalyst6:

I would by Alan Wake, and I might even enjoy it, if suddenly Microsoft didn't decide to do the whole "platform dedication" thing. Why couldn't they whore themselves out to every passing system like they usually do...

Some added incentive to actually own an xbox 360? What's the point in buying an xbox 360 if it'll plays all the same games as pc but has almost none of the practical day to day uses? Might as well just combine the money from getting a non-gaming pc and a console together and get a gaming pc. With 360 exclusives there's actually some reason to ever buy a 360.

Heh, it was a rhetorical question. Although if I was Microsoft I'd dump the xbox altogether and just stick to PC, seeing that their software runs almost all gaming computers. But I just don't like Xbox, so I guess I'm biased.

Geez! Another game that looks good but plays awful.

Another solid gold piece of sh*t!

misterprickly:
Geez! Another game that looks good but plays awful.

Another solid gold piece of sh*t!

Well it's not that bad it's just not as good as everybody is jumping up and down about either.

Well, thank's.. now I don't need to go out and spend $60 on getting it, If it's as bland as he said.

It's a lot more fun to watch while drunk. yay

Thought he'd actually REALLY hate Alan Wake myself(given his love of SH2-and make no error AW is NO SH2 whatever else it might be even if it might quite like to be put in that bracket)asand after finding he hates SK almost as much as I do I'm incredulous he didn't leave it a bloody mess in gaming's patchy memory.

Amusing stuff, though i've only played about half the game myself,I find a lot of things to agree with-especially the synching issue, Wake's ugly missus and that bloody daft recapping of the not-very-bloody-hard-to-grasp story every time the game wants a breather.

Thought it was VERY fair of Yahtzee, also, not to bring up any of the game's history. For me Remedy(or MS or whoever made the choice)the way the PC gamers were tagged along for FIVE EFFING years before seeing the game taken away from them was atrociously bad form. Christ, I bought my 360 largely to play AW(yes, at launch too!)so I guess I'm thinking how wound up I'#d be if after all that time they turned round and told me I couldn't have the game because sitting at one platform isn't as suitable as the other for survival horror style games I might be hugely wound up. Add in the fact that til this year ALL the footage of the game we'd seen had been the PC version and it gets even more annoying-although saying that most PC only gamers I talk to had long since given up on the game as it seemed to jetisson every and any good feature along it's protracted dev cycle! We lost sandbox gameplay, we lost individually designed houses(down to interiors) all open to explore and a host of other stuff as the game grew less and less ambitious.

Oh, I won't go on but suffice to say I have a lot of reasons to be sus about what we finally got from Remedy and worry about the exact reason all the original good ideas got ripped out. I just hope it really wasn't to avoid that pesky DVD9 storage issue and the costs of multiple discs, eh?

Anyway, I'm very disappointed in the game, find it's a shadow of what we were promised and sometimes think it's got a VERY OTT metascore right now. From where I'm sat ZP was very kind to it too!

Why are people going "oh well, I liked the game"? Seems to me like Yahtzee gave this game a fairly decent treatment, unlike Stephen King ;D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here